Paradigm S8 VS ????

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On that chart the 803D is below -3dB before 20khz, whereas the S8 is approaching -3b but not quite yet.

The S8’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.97/–1.90 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The 803D's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.90/–3.68 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.
I see. It seems like the S8 is a little more flatter on the response.

But as they say, listen to the speakers, not the graphs.:D

Well, definitely check out the S8 & B&W 803D and compare them to the DefTech 7000 & Focal. Also check out the Paradigm studio 100 towers. And it doesn't hurt to check out as many other speakers as possible.

Before spending $8K, you want to be able to say that you have listened to them all and got the BEST in the end.:D

There was another member who listened to the 802D, S8, & DefTech 7000 and ended up buying the S8.

D

Docks

Audioholic
Warpdrv, thanks a ton. That was a HUGE question i would always ask myself. I am happy that someone was able to listen to them all on the same system and room.

Thanks again :D

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Warpdrv, thanks a ton. That was a HUGE question i would always ask myself. I am happy that someone was able to listen to them all on the same system and room.

Thanks again :D

I am not here to tell you to buy the S8's.... I really must insist that you listen first and then make your own determination.... The B&W's have changed their entire lineup. My comparison was with the latest of the S8's .v3 and the older line of the B&W 800 series. IMO the S8's won my heart...

The 802D's were really the only competition to the new S8's, but all bets are off now that they have made a full lineup change. I have yet to get back to my dealer to do a head to head with the new line.

My dealer didn't even carry the Sigs until I flat out ordered them straight up after spending a good deal of time with them at a different dealer when I was out of town. He ordered them for me and I requested him to unbox them there for 2 reasons. 1 to make sure they were operating properly and undamaged, and secondly for him to have some seat time with them in case he would like to start to stock them. I left them with him overnight so he could spend some time with the new Be tweeter and upgraded mid range, which puts the .v2 and .v3 in a whole new ballpark in terms of high end speakers besides just the looks.

I own the Sig S4's .v1 for my bedroom setup and they are great, but the Be tweeters and new Co-Pal mids truly step them up to the next level. The .v1's are good but not a huge step up from the studio lineup, which is why my dealer never stocked the Sigs. Since his time spent with my S8's he stocks the entire Sig line.... He has always been a huge B&W fanboy, but obviously felt them to be worthy of sitting in his room along side the B&W lineup shown in the pic...

Good luck on your hunt.... take the time to go out and listen, this is the best part of the journey - the audition period...

I assume that you like the design of the curved cab that has you looking at these 2 in comparison...?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm a little biased since I have S8's, but at the time I bought them I wasn't able to find anything I thought was better. The number of high end audio shops in my area is rather limited. The S8's will blow away the B&W 603's. I've listened to a few of the 600 series and was not impressed at all. The 800series is excellent (I was very impressed) but more expensive than the digms. I was not inspired by any of the Def Tech offerings I've listened to, but I've never heard the bp7000's. I know there are a few members on this forum that absolutely love them. As always, the more offerings you listen to, the more likely it is you will find something that you really enjoy.
The S8s blow away teh B&W 600 series? You make that sound liek it was a great acheivement. Its easier than you think and with much less moeny too....not to take away from teh S8s abilities. Its like squashing a mosquito with a 20 lb maul. :p

C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Yes. For the $8k price, there is probably a fairly long list of ported box towers with dome and cones on the front.
Then there are alternative formats in that price range that could be auditioned/compared for suitability, such as Geddes and Linkwitz, etc., that won't fit the into the cookie cutter mold.
...Magnepan, Ohm, Vandersteen, Shahinian, etc. are also alt designs that, IMO, outperform the Paradigms.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
...Magnepan, Ohm, Vandersteen, Shahinian, etc. are also alt designs that, IMO, outperform the Paradigms.
Everyone is different.

My brother thinks his $3K Bose system sounds better than all the speakers out there.:D

I think my DefTech 7000 can hang with any system out there, except for the $60K B&W Nautilus or the $15K RBH flagship T30 or T-2/RP or other $50K speakers.

Some think the Paradigm V8 can hang with any system out there.

What is Shahinian???:D

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
The S8s blow away teh B&W 600 series? You make that sound liek it was a great acheivement. Its easier than you think and with much less moeny too....not to take away from teh S8s abilities. Its like squashing a mosquito with a 20 lb maul. :p
You are definately correct. Wasn't trying to make it sound like it was a supernatural feat. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the price tags on the 600 series.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You are definately correct. Wasn't trying to make it sound like it was a supernatural feat. I almost laughed out loud when I saw the price tags on the 600 series.
Seems like B&W, Revel, Krell, and a few other speakers are a little overpriced, huh?:D

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
Sometimes you get what you pay for, and some times you don't. Then there is completely out of my price range. If I had money to burn, I'd get a pair of Revel Ultima Salon2's. A guy can dream, right?

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
The Freq response posted from Paradigm website
Frequency Response:
On-Axis ----------------±2 dB from 39 Hz - 45 kHz
30° Off-Axis ---------- ±2 dB from 39 Hz - 20 kHz

Couldn't find any third party of the latest iteration of the S8's

I know darn well I can't hear anything above 18k hz, so any numbers stated up high are worthless to me IMO.

From my perspective these speakers response are pretty close.... I auditioned them together and walked away with the Sigs... Ultimately, you can look at measurements all day long, you really need to audition them together and figure out which sounds the best to you... I though the Sigs were closer to the 802D's then the 803D's, but thats just me. I can't decide for you, I can only decide for myself...

If you don't mind me asking, where was this picture taken? Techteriors?

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
www.Audioemporium.com

Those are my Sig S8's I ordered and his heavy hitter room with all the top high end products...
Its a fantastic room to audion speakers in.... Its very large with room with velvet curtains from floor to ceiling on 3 walls, and speakers easily 10ft from the front wall, which presents the largest, widest and deepest soundstage I have ever heard in my life... I am not lucky enough to have those gracious interiors in my home.

Dave is the owner and a great guy.... He's been a customer of mine for a long time. I have been a customer of his for only 4-5 years that I have had the ability to start my endeavor into higher end audio starting with speakers, the paradigm studios that which I could afford at the time and which I felt met my criteria of audio in my budget.

Since then I have moved up to the Sigs in both my systems. A huge part for me was the design and looks, but mainly SQ.... the combination of both was huge for me to integrate great SQ and aesthetics into my home... I guess I'm fussy that way....

Dave also gave me the opportunity to listen to the Maggies which I have never heard, and I was blown away by them.. Just crystalline for me... but def something that needed a specific room to accommodate, which I certainly didn't have and a price that was far outside of my budget, but I was very appreciative I got the experience of the pure delight of Magnepan's, they are spectacular...

He seriously has a passion for music/audio and it shows in the equipment he keeps on hand for his customers, as well how his knowledge of HiFi reproduction....
I am truly lucky and glad to have him as a dealer....

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Okay, that is it.

I can't take it anymore.

In a few years I'm selling all my speakers and getting this system::D

View attachment 8530

Last edited:
C

cornelius

Full Audioholic
Warpdrv, that's a great store, really nice that you have a good relationship with someone nearby. There are a lot of stores where I am, but lately I've purchased everything I have online - I can't vibe with any of the stores here...

Anyway, that's interesting that you were able to demo some Maggies. I haven't heard the latest S8's, but if you heard the Maggies and went with the S8's, then they must be good!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On Second Thought...

...For my next home, I'll do 2 rooms:

Room#1: MOVIE SYSTEM:

BP7000SC (2), BP7001SC (2), CLR3000, TRINITY
DENON AVP-A1HDCI & DVD-3800BD + ATI AT3002/3005
JVC PROJECTOR + CARADA SCREEN

Room#2: MUSIC SYSTEM:

B&W 800D (2) + DENON AVR-5308CI + DBP4010UDCI:

View attachment 8531

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
...For my next home, I'll do 2 rooms:

Room#1: MOVIE SYSTEM:

BP7000SC (2), BP7001SC (2), CLR3000, TRINITY
DENON AVP-A1HDCI & DVD-3800BD + ATI AT3002/3005
JVC PROJECTOR + CARADA SCREEN

Room#2: MUSIC SYSTEM:

B&W 800D (2) + DENON AVR-5308CI + DBP4010UDCI:

View attachment 8531
Oh, come on now, AduDef and others, you don't want B&W 800D or 802D, etc.; don't you know that even a Primus 362 is 'superior' according to some that post on this forum (it has that dip in response OFF AXIS, don't you know?) ? :rolleyes:

-Chris

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Warpdrv, that's a great store, really nice that you have a good relationship with someone nearby. There are a lot of stores where I am, but lately I've purchased everything I have online - I can't vibe with any of the stores here...

Anyway, that's interesting that you were able to demo some Maggies. I haven't heard the latest S8's, but if you heard the Maggies and went with the S8's, then they must be good!

Or the S8's are good enough and are much cheaper and easier to place in my house... he played the 20.1's and I think the 3.6's, have you seen the prices on those...?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, come on now, AduDef and others, you don't want B&W 800D or 802D, etc.; don't you know that even a Primus 362 is 'superior' according to some that post on this forum (it has that dip in response OFF AXIS, don't you know?) ? :rolleyes:

-Chris
What are they smoking?:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis