Paradigm S8 VS ????

D

Docks

Audioholic
Ive listened to the paradigm S8 and really like it. It has a great response as well. The bass output is nothing short of amazing. BUT heres the big question.
Is there anything that could even compare to the paradigm s8's price and sound as good or even better? Could anyone suggest them? Besides the S8's the Def tech bp7000's are on my list too. Currently leaning on S8's
From what ive read the S8 has a better response than the B&W 603's.

Here are a few links of reviews/freq response.
http://www.hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/paradigm_reference_signature_s8_speaker_system/index3.html
and
http://www.soundstagemagazine.com/measurements/paradigm_signature_s8/

O

oppman99

Senior Audioholic
I'm a little biased since I have S8's, but at the time I bought them I wasn't able to find anything I thought was better. The number of high end audio shops in my area is rather limited. The S8's will blow away the B&W 603's. I've listened to a few of the 600 series and was not impressed at all. The 800series is excellent (I was very impressed) but more expensive than the digms. I was not inspired by any of the Def Tech offerings I've listened to, but I've never heard the bp7000's. I know there are a few members on this forum that absolutely love them. As always, the more offerings you listen to, the more likely it is you will find something that you really enjoy.

D

Docks

Audioholic
Ya, i was not impressed at all by the B&W 600 series. Response-wise yeah the s8 would beat the B&W 803's as well. I was pretty insistent on B&W's before i had actually head them and read up more about them.
Now that I actually have the S8's in mind.. just seeing if there is anything else that you would suggest that would even come close to competing with them.
They are a good chunk of change.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The Salk HT2-TL's are fantastic, and will give the S8's a very good run for their money. I really enjoyed them quite a bit.

I own the S8's and love them, and would choose them any day over the B&W's in the same price range.

You seem to be pitting the S8's against speakers that are no where near the price. Perhaps you meant the 803's. The newest iteration is the 803Di listing at about $10k
Here is a list of prices from my dealer which offer both those products.
http://www.audioemporium.com/2010_C.pdf

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would compare the S8 to the 803D but I would take the 803D for sure.:D

D

Docks

Audioholic
Why would you take the 803D? The response doesn't really compare the the S8.... Alot of people here seem pretty loyal to B&W speakers...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Why would you take the 803D?
I have listened to too many speakers not to notice that even the entry level 804S sounds like live music to me. That's why...

The response doesn't really compare the the S8.... Alot of people here seem pretty loyal to B&W speakers...
You may be right, I am not sure. I am not loyal to B&W speakers yet, as I don't even own a pair. I like the 802D best but can only afford the 803S so I have to wait. If you prefer the S8, go for it, a lot of people here seem pretty loyal to Paradigm speakers too. They all seem to be happy owners.:)

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Is there anything that could even compare to the paradigm s8's price
Yes. For the $8k price, there is probably a fairly long list of ported box towers with dome and cones on the front.
Then there are alternative formats in that price range that could be auditioned/compared for suitability, such as Geddes and Linkwitz, etc., that won't fit the into the cookie cutter mold.

and sound as good or even better?
Only you can answer that.

cheers,

AJ

D

Docks

Audioholic
Is that because wmax said that 802D's are the best... Or because you really think so? what about sonus faber? wilson audio? + Many others? The B&W 683's sounded like they couldn't compete with most $1000 dollar speakers.

I have listened to too many speakers not to notice that even the entry level 804S sounds like live music to me. That's why...

You may be right, I am not sure. I am not loyal to B&W speakers yet, as I don't even own a pair. I like the 802D best but can only afford the 803S so I have to wait. If you prefer the S8, go for it, a lot of people here seem pretty loyal to Paradigm speakers too. They all seem to be happy owners.:)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Is that because wmax said that 802D's are the best... Or because you really think so? what about sonus faber? wilson audio? + Many others? The B&W 683's sounded like they couldn't compete with most $1000 dollar speakers.
I think I have been answering your questions truthfully and politely. You asked, I responded. Anyway, I will answer your question just the same. Yes, it is because "I think so", and long before I read about any other forum member's comments on the 802D. I brought my own CDs to each audition sessions of the 800 series models. I have also had auditioned some rediculously expensive sonus faber speakers, and of course the S8, Monitor Audio and, yes, many others. I have never auditioned any non 800 series B&W so I cannot comment of the 683.

The fact is, some people pick the speakers that sound the best to them, within the price range they are comfortable with. For me, I always tried to compare how they sound with what I remember hearing in live classical music concerts. That's just me, and I do realize it may not be all that reliable as memory is short. I have the feeling you do not prefer the B&W, and have you mind set on the S8, then go for it and there is no need to guess why I prefer the 800 series B&W. I also like KEF, and Monitor Audio high end models, but that's just me.:)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yes. For the $8k price, there is probably a fairly long list of ported box towers with dome and cones on the front.
Then there are alternative formats in that price range that could be auditioned/compared for suitability, such as Geddes and Linkwitz, etc., that won't fit the into the cookie cutter mold.

AJ
When / where do S8's go for $8k?

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
do S8's go for $8k?
Home Theater Magazine
Paradigm Reference Signature S8 Speaker System:
Features

S8
Type: Three-way, monitor
Tweeter (size in inches, type): 1, beryllium
Midrange (size in inches, type): 7, aluminum
Woofer (size in inches, type): 7, polypropylene cone (4)
Nominal Impedance (ohms): 8
Recommended Amp Power (watts): 250
Available Finishes: Cherry, Natural Cherry, Birdseye Maple, Piano Black
Dimensions (W x H x D, inches): 8.25 x 48.5 x 20.5
Weight (pounds): 100
Price: $7,798/pair, $6,998/pair (Cherry)

At the time you purchase it, with tax

A Paradigm dealership

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Home Theater Magazine
Paradigm Reference Signature S8 Speaker System:
Features

S8
Type: Three-way, monitor
Tweeter (size in inches, type): 1, beryllium
Midrange (size in inches, type): 7, aluminum
Woofer (size in inches, type): 7, polypropylene cone (4)
Nominal Impedance (ohms): 8
Recommended Amp Power (watts): 250
Available Finishes: Cherry, Natural Cherry, Birdseye Maple, Piano Black
Dimensions (W x H x D, inches): 8.25 x 48.5 x 20.5
Weight (pounds): 100
Price: $7,798/pair, $6,998/pair (Cherry)
Wow they really went up:eek:
I don't feel as guilty as I did before,:D I payed $5,400 and thought that was too much.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Wow they really went up:eek:
I don't feel as guilty as I did before,:D I payed $5,400 and thought that was too much.
Agreed, that is what we paid for my .v3 S8's.....
I wouldn't make the stretch for the new list price now.

Paradigms pricing seems to have really shot up in the last 3-4 years.
for sure inflation has really had an impact on a product that really hasn't change much in the last 2 gens...

FWIW, I saw a pair of Piano Black .v2 S8's on Ebay slightly used, but the price was around $5k or less.. I'm sure they will pop up again soon.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Response-wise yeah the s8 would beat the B&W 803's as well.
The $8K/pr S8 response: –3-dB point is at 51 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 42 Hz.
So the S8 is 51Hz - 20kHz +/-3dB.

The $9K/pr 803D response: –3dB point is at 46 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 37 Hz.
So the 803D is ~ 46Hz-20kHz +/-3dB.

http://hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/1005bw/index2.html

It seems like the 803D response is better?

The $15K/pr 802D is ~ 25Hz-20kHz +/-3dB:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1205bw/index4.html

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
The Freq response posted from Paradigm website
Frequency Response:
On-Axis ----------------±2 dB from 39 Hz - 45 kHz
30° Off-Axis ---------- ±2 dB from 39 Hz - 20 kHz

Couldn't find any third party of the latest iteration of the S8's

I know darn well I can't hear anything above 18k hz, so any numbers stated up high are worthless to me IMO.

From my perspective these speakers response are pretty close.... I auditioned them together and walked away with the Sigs... Ultimately, you can look at measurements all day long, you really need to audition them together and figure out which sounds the best to you... I though the Sigs were closer to the 802D's then the 803D's, but thats just me. I can't decide for you, I can only decide for myself...

Last edited:
D

Docks

Audioholic
On that chart the 803D is below -3dB before 20khz, whereas the S8 is approaching -3b but not quite yet.

The S8’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.97/–1.90 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The 803D's listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.90/–3.68 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

The $8K/pr S8 response: –3-dB point is at 51 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 42 Hz.
So the S8 is 51Hz - 20kHz +/-3dB.

The $9K/pr 803D response: –3dB point is at 46 Hz, and the –6dB point is at 37 Hz.
So the 803D is ~ 46Hz-20kHz +/-3dB.

http://hometheatermag.com/floorloudspeakers/1005bw/index2.html

It seems like the 803D response is better?

The $15K/pr 802D is ~ 25Hz-20kHz +/-3dB:
http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1205bw/index4.html

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis