Official Denon AVR-5805 Review Support Thread

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
petermwilson said:
I've read that there may be a second upgrade for my 5800/03 but I hope its not initiated untill audio formats make a couple of leaps.
I wouldn't count on it Peter. I have the upgraded A1SE. Denon Germany have stated the upgrade for PLIIx, HDCD & Denon Link3 isn't technically possible (which I find strange) so I doubt it will get any future formats.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi Jase,

Of course when you have a processor with so many capabilities each of us based on many factors not the least of which is attached equipment have priorities of importance. I have over 300 dvd-a and sacd discs which, thanks to Denon's forsight in supplying 2 full sets of analogs allows me to connect 2 multidisc players, one in each format. The cost of a Denon player with the Denon Link was never attractive to me.

I also have a HTPC attached which includes the HOLO3D video scaler from Immersive so using Windows Media Player 9 gives me HDCD capabilities for the 20 or so discs I have, some of which are duplicated in HIREZ formats.

The multitude of DSP modes such as DTS Neo 6, I personally find satisfactory for stereo processing as well as the THX modes for non 5.1 sources such as the cable tv channels not yet broadcasting in DD 5.1. I also find the need for these modes are declining rapidly therefore DD pl IIx would not be more than casually attractive.

The 2 extra Coax and Opt inputs installed with the upgrade for future audio formats still sit unused. My hope is that perhaps audio formats from new HIREZ Video discs about to be introduced will take greater advantage of the 96/24 DACs in a discrete 7.1 format.

I do not use my 5800/03 for video processing at all and although I'm sure that HDMI is the wave of the future, I'm not liable to need more than 1 of these cables in the next 5 or 6 years if at all.

As I mentioned before, there is no audio software currently on the market that our Denon cannot process in an excellent manner and for my personal needs the present 5800/03 is equipped for formats yet to be invented and it will take something very special for me to dislodge this 62lb beast from it's present perch.

Peter M.

I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
Just got B stock Denon - won't turn on

I received a B Stock Denon (tried to save a buck), hooked it up, turned it on and.... the lights on the front (TV, DVD, etc...) turn on and can be switched with the knob on the left, but the display won't turn on and it doesn't seem to respond to the remote at all, except to turn on and off. When I turn it on, the on/standby light come on and blinks, but that's about it. None of the buttons on the remote impact the receiver. I hope I'm just missing something here. Any ideas?

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
Have you tried unplugging it for a few minutes and trying again? Sometimes that will reset something amiss in the processor chips. Otherwise, hope you got a warranty.

I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
Yep. I have unplugged and plugged back in. Is there a way to do a complete reset of the unit?

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
I don't remember seeing a full reset mentioned in the manual.

I had a scare with my 5805 last night - display would come on during input change, then go off. I accidently had pushed the "pure direct" button and discovered that the display does that when in that mode. Switched back to PLIIx and display came back on.

Since you can't get anything to work, I would take it in for warranty repair. Careful with your back when moving that beast!

M

micke123

Audiophyte
Hi!

I do belive that Page 162 in the manual explain a full reset of the amp.

INITIALIZATION OF THE MICROPROCESSOR.

1. switch of the unit using the main units power
operation switch.

2. hold the STANDARD button and HOME THX CINEMA button,and
turn the Main units power operation switch on.

3. check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of about
1 second,and release your fingers from the 2 buttons and the
microprocessor will be initialized.

Hope this help!

I have the european version AVC-A1XV
so i dont know if its at page 162 in your manual? but check it up

/mike

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
Aha! It is on page 173 of the 5805 manual. I was thinking about a manual reset recessed button on the back like my older Denon separate preamp had. Anyway, instructions for the 5805 seem to be the same as for the AVC-A1XV:

1 Switch off the unit using the Main unit’s power operation
switch.
2 Hold the following STANDARD button and HOME THX
CINEMA button, and turn the Main unit’s power operation
switch on.
3 Check that the entire display is flashing with an interval of
about 1 second, and release your fingers from the 2 buttons
and the microprocessor will be initialized.
NOTES:
• If step 3 does not work, start over from step 1.
• If the microprocessor has been reset, all the settings are reset
to the default values (the values set upon shipment from the
factory).

I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
Well, I followed the process and it did restart, blink and the works....but, still the main panel doesn't light up and nothing is functional. The DVD, TV, CD, ect...lights blinked every second, just as is described above.

Guess next stop is the repair shop. Thanks for everyones help.

M

micke123

Audiophyte
Hi!

Maybe a dumb question, but have you checked that the "dimmer mode"
is not turned ON?

B

briansmith

Junior Audioholic
Gene,

I received my firmware update for the 5805 (finally!!).

Do you know if there is a way to check the firmware version? I want to make sure I install it correctly?

Let us know your feeback on the firmware!

-Brian

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
briansmith said:
Gene,

I received my firmware update for the 5805 (finally!!).

Do you know if there is a way to check the firmware version? I want to make sure I install it correctly?

Let us know your feeback on the firmware!

-Brian
"Finally"
Don't feel bad I didn't even know there was a firmware update available :confused:
What's it all about?

geoh

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
All;

I received the new firmware today that is supposed to fix the Audyssey problems we have found. I plan on testing it this week and will post my findings soon.

B

briansmith

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
All;

I received the new firmware today that is supposed to fix the Audyssey problems we have found. I plan on testing it this week and will post my findings soon.
\

One thing I noticed right off the bat was how the EQ cut the 16mhz band on every speaker by 3-6db. This did not happen prior to the update.

-Brian

Last edited:
G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Does this update address the mic positioning problems some of us are having?
Can we now point the mic towards the ceiling instead of holding it and pointing towards each speaker as the test tones go from speaker to speaker?
And does the update address the overly bright results?

geoh

B

briansmith

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
All;

Gene,

Do you have any preliminary update? I bascially curious as to wither or not the EQ not addresses lower frequencies.

-Brian

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Do you have any preliminary update? I bascially curious as to wither or not the EQ not addresses lower frequencies.
I plan on uploading the software this week and testing it. Please be patient as my schedule is tightly packed for the next few months. Thanks.

Update 08/16/05
I just uploaded new firmware which hosed my 5805. I am working with Denon to investigate this situation. In the meantime I am home theater less , weep weep :(

ok ok, I reset the micro and I am back in business. Stay tuned...

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kdiddy

Audioholic Intern
Quick question, say you had a sub, like the Velo. DD-15, and would rather use the the subs built in EQ capabilities instead of the 5805's, how do you go about doing this when you do the auto calibration of the rest of the system? Thanks.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
kdiddy said:
Quick question, say you had a sub, like the Velo. DD-15, and would rather use the the subs built in EQ capabilities instead of the 5805's, how do you go about doing this when you do the auto calibration of the rest of the system? Thanks.
I think I'd run Audyssey, let it do it's thing, then run your DD-15 EQ setup.
(Sort of as a fine tuning tool).
Or you could reverse this procedure and probably achieve simular results.
Not sure if there's an advantage either way.

geoh

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Do the Velodyne sub calibration after Audyssey. It has much more resolution for handling bass than Audyssey does.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis