Official Denon AVR-5805 Review Support Thread

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Cygnus said:
It seems that the knobs for the volume and input selector are made of a different material then the ones on my AVR-1705. The knobs on the 5805 (at least, in the pictures) are shinier.
From either the 2805 or 3805 and above the knobs are aluminum. Everything below is plastic.

J

jmicheal

Audiophyte
Denon AVR 5805 9.1 setup?

Does anyone know if the 5805 can be set up so that its surround a & b outputs can somehow be configured to do the same work of the standard presence speaker locations (located between the Left Front - Center and Right Front - Center speakers) of a 9.1 setup? Is it difficult to do if it is possible? Is anyone running it in a standard 9.1/9.2 setup?

Thanks

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
There is no "presence" front channel surround feature on the AVR-5805. However you can reassign the power amps to any channels you want under the advanced menu settings.

C

Cygnus

Senior Audioholic
Yeah, I think the "Prescence" option is only availible on Yamaha receivers.

J

jmicheal

Audiophyte
Thanks - I guess a better way to phrase my question might be - can the 5805 be "taught" (for lack of a better word) to send the same/smiliar signals through its DSP processing via its Surround A & B outputs that would be appropriate for the location of "presence" speakers in a traditional 9.1 setup, which has 5 front speakers (L, L Presence, C, R Presence, R) and a surround left, a surround right and a surround left rear and a surround right rear?

Or does Denon expect the two additional speakers used in its 9.1 setup to be in a location other than up front with the left, center and right speakers?

If you can get 9.1 out of it but can't get the appropriate effect out of the two additional front speakers it would seem to defeat the purpose of using the 5805 in a 9.1 setup (unless I guess if one moved the front 2 "presence" speakers to a location more suitable for the Denon's 9.1 take on where the apeakers should be located in a 9.1 setup). But since my speakers are permanently mounted in my ceiling, moving the 2 speakers that are being used as presence speakers with the Yamaha to a location more suitable for the Denon's brand of 9.1 would not be too "wife" friendly. I guess I thought that the industry "standard" for a 9.1 setup included the 5 front speakers (including two presence) regardless of the bramd of receiver.

Thanks again,
Mike

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
You could fudge it by using the Bi-Amp option but rather than Presence speakers you would end up with two Front Left speakers and two Front Right speakers. Whether you'd end up ruining the front soundstage or not, I don't know.

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
Denon's 9.1 refers to 3 front, 2 side surround, 2 back surround (sides of the room for PL IIx 7.1) and 2 back surround (center back of the room for DTS 6.1/7.1) plus the sub/LFE channel.

I have found no means of "tricking" the 5805 into synthesizing the front presence channels. As the other poster said, that seems to be only a Yamaha thing.

Gene: Any update on the 5805 Audyssey subwoofer patch? I remember Chris saying a couple of weeks ago that it would be available soon.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
hjones4841 said:
Denon's 9.1 refers to 3 front, 2 side surround, 2 back surround (sides of the room for PL IIx 7.1) and 2 back surround (center back of the room for DTS 6.1/7.1) plus the sub/LFE channel.

I have found no means of "tricking" the 5805 into synthesizing the front presence channels. As the other poster said, that seems to be only a Yamaha thing.

Gene: Any update on the 5805 Audyssey subwoofer patch? I remember Chris saying a couple of weeks ago that it would be available soon.
I thought this receiver was a 10 channel amp,primarily capable of two 5.1 setups in two zones (with a host of other configurations). PLIIx and DTS Neo 6 speaker set up should be the same. DTS 6.1 ES Discrete and DD EX 7.1 also don't change the speaker positioning. Page 175 of the 5805 manual will show you that the extra two channels can be used for 360 degree audio, where the two rear surround speakers are located in the corners of the room, unlike in a movie audio sound field, where the speakers go on the side walls, as well as the rear walls.
www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR5805 DFU.pdf

www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Denon just emailed me and said a new firmware update should be delivered to me for evaluation by the end of the week. I will followup shortly...

J

jmicheal

Audiophyte
Any idea where the 5805 wants those 2 extra side surround speakers located in a 9.1 setup? The back surrounds seem to take care of the sides of the room and the 2 rear surrounds seem to take care of the rear of the room.

If they go in the front of the room I might possibly make it work by switching the purpose of my main front L & R speakers with the L & R Presence speakers as follows:

LS-A.....L.....C.....R....LS-B

LSBack..................RSBack

.....LSRear.........RSRear

The Front L & R above are currently my presence speakers and the LS-A & LS-B are currently my main front L & R speakers.

Would the above work or would I have to move speakers? The 5805's manual is very quite about a 9.1 configuration.

Thanks

hjones4841 said:

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know how you'd run 9 speakers with the Denon processing for any type of device. Running a different "zone" in the same room would ruin any effect you might have had otherwise. Recording engineers just don't put out material for 9 separate channels. 6.1 discrete is the best you're going to do without matrixing more channels. Yamaha's "presence" speakers in the front is still a type of matrix sound. Denon's 7 channel stereo works well for parties, but I don't think they have a 9 channel stereo dsp mode (yet).

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
Pages 177 and 178 of the Denon 5805 manual show various speaker arrangements, including suggested placement.

J

jmicheal

Audiophyte
Thanks - pg 178 does show how a 9.1 configuration is set up in the Denon world. Definitely not the same way as the Yamaha 9.1 configuration. That's kinda a bummer that there's no standard yet. All 7.1 setups look similar but once your speakers are set up for one type of receiver in a 9.1 setup, you're pretty much stuck with that vendor.

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Surround A and Surround B on the Denon's has always been so that you can have two different sorts of surround speakers (Dipoles for Movies and Monopoles for Music). You would have the Dipoles at the sides of the listening position and the Monopoles slightly behind you. You can then switch between Surround A or B depending on content or have both sets engaged at the same time (Surround A+B). The Denon's give you the option of setting up Speaker Distances, Channel Levels etc for each option e.g Surround A, Surround B and Surround A+B. The 5805 has independent amps for Surround A and Surround B whereas the older models have to share amplification. Both Surround A and Surround B produce the same surround info, there's no extra processing going on. You can also select 9CH Stereo on the 5805 if you wish.

Last edited:
R

rburton1

Enthusiast
gene said:
Denon just emailed me and said a new firmware update should be delivered to me for evaluation by the end of the week. I will followup shortly...
Gene,

Any news on the Audyssey patch from Denon for the 5805?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Any news on the Audyssey patch from Denon for the 5805?
I was told by Denon the firmware update should be here by the end of the week, but haven't seen it yet. They are preparing for a press conference to introduce new products which we will be covering in early July, so its crunch time for them right now. Towards the end of next week I will be attending a business trip so if I don't see the firmware by early next week, I likely won't be able to test it until July. I will let everyone know as soon as I get it.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
I was told by Denon the firmware update should be here by the end of the week, but haven't seen it yet. They are preparing for a press conference to introduce new products which we will be covering in early July, so its crunch time for them right now. Towards the end of next week I will be attending a business trip so if I don't see the firmware by early next week, I likely won't be able to test it until July. I will let everyone know as soon as I get it.
New Denon products..... someone hold me back :)
Maybe their rumored SSPs
Maybe amps to go with those SSPs
maybe....

geoh

B

briansmith

Junior Audioholic
gene said:

Gene,

ANY sign of the firmware? Have they given you any update?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
ANY sign of the firmware? Have they given you any update?
Not yet, Denon has been running in caterpillar mode (reference Hunt for Red October) for the past couple of weeks. I will be meeting with them in July at a press conference and will re-inquire then.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis