Official Denon AVR-5805 Review Support Thread

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
No, both the STBs are fixed at 480i, unfortunately. As is the Kaon pvr.

As we don't yet have HDTV, nobody in the Middle East bothers to sell much HD receiving equipment.

I cracked the other problem by passing the sound from HDMI straight through to the tv and turning the volume on that right down.

P

p2md

Audiophyte
Hello, I recently purchased a Denon 5805 and also have hdmi video issues. I saw your firmware patch but don't know where to find it.
Thanks
Pat

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Appreciate this is an old thread but I've a query regarding dual subwoofer setup. One sub is at the front of the room and the other at the back. The Denon has several options for two subs including L/R, F/B & LFE/MAIN. I know the F/B option is flawed (sends only LFE to the B sub). I want both subs to play LFE as well as all the redirected bass from all the speakers set to small.

Not entirely sure what the L/R & LFE/MAIN options actually do. I guess the L/R is a stereo sub option so presume this won't work properly for me as my subs are front and back. LFE/MAIN looks to be one sub for LFE and one for other bass, again, no good for what I want.

My last option is to just use a Y splitter from the single sub pre-out or daisy chain the subs together and select one sub in the Denons setup menu. How Audyssey would cope with that I don't know.

Any thoughts?

M

MPK

Audiophyte
Hi Jase,

Good to see that I'm not the only one still using this amp :)

I wasn't aware that the F/B only sends LFE signal, but it looks like you can chose a 3 S/W setup where the third sub is only for LFE, which implies that the other two are M/LFE. You chose the seting F/B/LFE and the third sub you simply won't connect.

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Hi Jase,

I wasn't aware that the F/B only sends LFE signal, but it looks like you can chose a 3 S/W setup where the third sub is only for LFE, which implies that the other two are M/LFE. You chose the seting F/B/LFE and the third sub you simply won't connect.
Hi MPK!

I sometimes get tempted to part with it but somehow never follow through as it still sounds great.

I had considered trying the F/B/LFE setting but I'm not sure if Audyssey would throw a wobbler looking for a sub that isn't there. Additionally, if the LFE isn't being played by the third sub I have a feeling it will be lost if the F/B subs aren't reproducing it.

Shame Denon didn't just include a simpler 2SP MIX or 3SP MIX like the later models.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Appreciate this is an old thread but I've a query regarding dual subwoofer setup. One sub is at the front of the room and the other at the back. The Denon has several options for two subs including L/R, F/B & LFE/MAIN. I know the F/B option is flawed (sends only LFE to the B sub). I want both subs to play LFE as well as all the redirected bass from all the speakers set to small.

Not entirely sure what the L/R & LFE/MAIN options actually do. I guess the L/R is a stereo sub option so presume this won't work properly for me as my subs are front and back. LFE/MAIN looks to be one sub for LFE and one for other bass, again, no good for what I want.

My last option is to just use a Y splitter from the single sub pre-out or daisy chain the subs together and select one sub in the Denons setup menu. How Audyssey would cope with that I don't know.

Any thoughts?
Don't use the Front/Back setting for the very reason you posted here. I don't believe there is a mono-mix for the 2 or 3 sub mode on the 5805 so you have two options at this point
1. use single sub out and y-splitter but then you lose independent trim/delay settings for dual subs
2. use L/R 2sub mode. Don't worry about stereo bass as bass is mostly mono below the 80Hz crossover point.

I'd suggest using option #2. Good luck

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Hi Jase,

That's not a good idea. If you use F/B/LFE only the LFE sub will get LFE signal. F/B will NOT.

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
Don't use the Front/Back setting for the very reason you posted here. I don't believe there is a mono-mix for the 2 or 3 sub mode on the 5805 so you have two options at this point
1. use single sub out and y-splitter but then you lose independent trim/delay settings for dual subs
2. use L/R 2sub mode. Don't worry about stereo bass as bass is mostly mono below the 80Hz crossover point.

I'd suggest using option #2. Good luck
Thanks Gene! I'll give the L/R setting a whirl and see how it works out.

B

blekenbleu

Enthusiast
dual subwoofer hack

Any thoughts?
I recall this quandary, but not precisely how I circumvented it. My 5805 died; Deno was unable to repair it and unwilling to replace it with like. I seem to recall that it involved tying one sub to front L/R speakers and declaring them as full range. This involved manually tuning the crossover {which in turn involved using a microphone, oscilloscope and signal generator to pick an octave with least relative phase shift between that sub and stereo pair) before Audyssey calibration. I do not recall whether I settled on the L/R pair fed high-pass signals from the sub (via a separate stereo amp?) or simply going with the natural roll-off of those L/R speakers..

Jase

Jase

Junior Audioholic
I recall this quandary, but not precisely how I circumvented it. My 5805 died; Deno was unable to repair it and unwilling to replace it with like. I seem to recall that it involved tying one sub to front L/R speakers and declaring them as full range. This involved manually tuning the crossover {which in turn involved using a microphone, oscilloscope and signal generator to pick an octave with least relative phase shift between that sub and stereo pair) before Audyssey calibration. I do not recall whether I settled on the L/R pair fed high-pass signals from the sub (via a separate stereo amp?) or simply going with the natural roll-off of those L/R speakers..
After trying L/R it still wouldn't work properly. Audyssey kept neutering the bass output to the point I was wondering if the subs were actually on! Soon as I ran it for one sub the bass output was restored but it's still rolling off the output below 20hz. THX BGC is off so I suspect a fault somewhere as a full reset hasn't cured it. Ran Audyssey again then manually dialed in the second sub (Velodyne DD10) and it sounds good.

The HDMI board is failing and only HDMI 1 now works. Time for it to be used as a poweramp or replaced completely I think.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis