Lost, confused, and getting teary. What i learned and did not get about Receivers.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Huh? I would love to hear your solution if the AVR isn't doing it...
I think he agrees with you in that it would work, but that for the most of us that would not be what we call an ideal situation and in fact would be something to avoid.
Yeah. I didn't mean that the brick wall filter wasn't the solution, just that I wouldn't ever want to do that. I do see the reason for it. I mean, some soundtracks are pretty low when it comes to dialog, and then BAM explosion makes your ears bleed. Works for me though. If that's the way it was meant to be heard, that's the way I want to hear it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Then he can feel free to offer up a 3rd alternate since the AVR and now the limiter isn't cutting it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wait wait wait, so let me get this straight. You start a thread about how the receiver people recommended you get is a joke and are wondering what to get. You then proclaim that you had purchased higher end things and saw no improvement? Drama drama drama myth system.
Now I feel silly having suggested a 3312 or 4311.. If I am getting it right, he really just needs a more drastic form of dynamic volume control and he's got some good advice for that already.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Here is how you end it real fast. I'll show mine if you show me yours :eek:

Here is a cell phone picture of everything in my sig minus the surrounds obviously;)

View attachment 11058

Now let’s see what you got beacsue as you know a picture is worth a thousand words. :D

I actually posted my room set up a few months ago. And ..... why the heck would I actually make up a system??? just doesn't make sense. I don't get it sorry. I will take this actually as a compliment. If you think my system is a hoaks it must be decent. So ... thank you.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Now I feel silly having suggested a 3312 or 4311.. If I am getting it right, he really just needs a more drastic form of dynamic volume control and he's got some good advice for that already.
Not happy with a $1500 receiver (tried 2). Not happy with a $300 receiver......
There aint much left to recommend, it aint the reciever that is the problem.

It's most likely the omission of over-priced power cords and cable lifters :)

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Not happy with a $1500 receiver (tried 2). Not happy with a $300 receiver......
There aint much left to recommend, it aint the reciever that is the problem.
I'll say it like this. A beginner golfer can buy a $150 set of clubs or a $4k set of clubs. Chances are he is still going to be a terrible golfer. Equipment is half of it, the other half is setting it up correctly.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Then he can feel free to offer up a 3rd alternate since the AVR and now the limiter isn't cutting it.
Me thinks we posted at the same time. I didn't mean to imply that what you were suggesting was in any way the wrong solution. Just that I don't like DRC or brick wall filters or any compression. Sorry dude.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I actually posted my room set up a few months ago. And ..... why the heck would I actually make up a system??? just doesn't make sense. I don't get it sorry. I will take this actually as a compliment. If you think my system is a hoaks it must be decent. So ... thank you.
Then kindly direct me to your post please, because all I found was an overhead mockup of a room which is not a photo? At the very least that means you should have a digital picture that is easily accessible and can be reposted as requested.;)

Otherwise I'm afraid others may be correct in that you are merely trolling.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Then kindly direct me to your post please, because all I found was an overhead mockup of a room which is not a photo? At the very least that means you should have a digital picture that easily accessible and can be reposted as requested.

Otherwise I'm afraid others may be correct in that you are merely trolling.
my friend .... again .... don't need to prove anything to you and i don't have pictures as I am at work right now. You not believing that i own what i show i do is a compliment to me. You even thinking that someone would make up a system and then spend so much of their time asking questions on how to improve it tells me how ridiculous your thoughts are. Are you 5?

anyway .... the point for this thread was not to create drama even though it was somewhat entertaining reading some posts.
I do thank those that actually helped. I appreciate the suggestion about D.Range.

when I get home, I'll gladly post a picture of my set up. Not to prove something to you but to show off a bit. Like we all tend to do ;-)

anyway, thanks guys.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
my friend .... again .... don't need to prove anything to you and i don't have pictures as I am at work right now. You not believing that i own what i show i do is a compliment to me. You even thinking that someone would make up a system and then spend so much of their time asking questions on how to improve it tells me how ridiculous your thoughts are. Are you 5?

anyway .... the point for this thread was not to create drama even though it was somewhat entertaining reading some posts.
I do thank those that actually helped. I appreciate the suggestion about D.Range.

when I get home, I'll gladly post a picture of my set up. Not to prove something to you but to show off a bit. Like we all tend to do ;-)

anyway, thanks guys.
Please post your findings once you try the DRC.

This thread went off the deep end fast.

But, if you give enough info and take the advice that you get on AH, you will almost certainly be pleased with the results.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Please post your findings once you try the DRC.

This thread went off the deep end fast.

But, if you give enough info and take the advice that you get on AH, you will almost certainly be pleased with the results.
+1 to that. I've learned more at this site, and from forum members, than anywhere else I've ever read audio reviews, or tried to educate myself on proper setup and such.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Me thinks we posted at the same time. I didn't mean to imply that what you were suggesting was in any way the wrong solution. Just that I don't like DRC or brick wall filters or any compression. Sorry dude.
I'm just asking what that other solution is? If the AVR isn't doing it, if an external processor isn't going to do it (how anybody knows this with out trying is beyond me), what is the other option?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm just asking what that other solution is? If the AVR isn't doing it, if an external processor isn't going to do it (how anybody knows this with out trying is beyond me), what is the other option?
The AVR and external processor can do it. Not sure why you think I said it can't. I must have really worded something poorly, which I apologize for. I'm new here, and not trying to be a know-it-all moron, if I'm coming across that way I want to know it. Your suggestion is spot on. If he enabled DRC on all sources that support it and on the receiver, there is no way that wouldn't work.

The only other solution I could possibly think of that would do what he wants (if I'm even right about what he wants to accomplish) is Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume. Possible Dolby Volume. Even then, aren't those just fancy forms of DRC anyway (with the exception of dynamic EQ)?

jinjuku

jinjuku

The AVR and external processor can do it. Not sure why you think I said it can't.
The OP has been through two AVR's now so I'm left with the impression that the AVR can't do it (it being what ever bar he has set). Let me know if I'm not reading the tea leaves correctly on this.

So hence my suggestion for brick walling it.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Yep. All good now. Hopefully the dude takes our advice. I can't understand how the receivers he tried didn't work, but he could be expecting something totally different from what we think. Who knows at this point.

It's not that they didn't work ... it's just that Denon 4311 gave me better sound for movies, BUT regular TV programming wasn't as good. Sound was as if a bit dimmed down. Movies however, were very nice. And still ..... for $1,600 I expected a huge difference that I did not hear.

Onkyo 818 was similar to Denon but not as good.

Keep in mind ... i was too lazy to dig into the manual and read everything. It was more poking in and out, pushing buttons and trying to hear the difference. I am sure that if a professional who knows Denon 4311 in and out stopped by, he'd do a much better job.

manwithnocape

manwithnocape

Audioholic
acoustic treatments. if you are experiencing a trade off in quality with different gear, you need to read the books.
if your room is in bad shape acoustically, no amount of eq will fix it... but acoustic treatments will make the eq job easier and your gear will sound better for it.

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Sounds like you are going to have to do some more research. I would like to hear what you end up with.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
It's not that they didn't work ... it's just that Denon 4311 gave me better sound for movies, BUT regular TV programming wasn't as good. Sound was as if a bit dimmed down. Movies however, were very nice. And still ..... for $1,600 I expected a huge difference that I did not hear.

Onkyo 818 was similar to Denon but not as good.

Keep in mind ... i was too lazy to dig into the manual and read everything. It was more poking in and out, pushing buttons and trying to hear the difference. I am sure that if a professional who knows Denon 4311 in and out stopped by, he'd do a much better job.
RTFM. You will need to no matter how much or little you spend. As you have found you can't just buy something and plug it in and expect the world from it. You have to put in some effort. Until you do you're really just wasting your time and money.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis