Lost, confused, and getting teary. What i learned and did not get about Receivers.

L

Leon1972

Junior Audioholic
Don't get me wrong, getting other people's opinions is great (I just did it myself) but you can't base everything off what people say. Everyone has their experience and so it is great to take what people say and apply it but you should also research and see what makes your reciever tick before you take what is said to heart. It very well may be that for some people your reciever sucks, but that is because it is for their application it is worthless. What makes a reciever good for you is based off your needs and wants, not someone else's.
Let me give you an example. You want a system that is not thunderously loud but you want that theater quality clarity therefore your reciever has 50 watts per channel and your ok with that
If I want a system so loud the whole block will be listening to my movie then I could voice my opinion saying your reciever sucks because it is not loud enough, but for you it's perfect

If your happy with how your system sounds and it fitsyour needs then your reciever is fine for you.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Being a bridge dweller I could smell this one. One look at the sig tells you the OP is being silly. The sig is a solid setup.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Face it, you love the drama. You've been doing this for months now, playing our advice against that from other forums. Why apologize now? Have you listened to us before? Why would you do so now?

Who, eactly, is "everyone"? I take it you believe them, or at least want to. That's your choice.

The only "hype" here is your putting words in our mouths. Odds are you asked specific questions and the knowledgeable people took your desires, scoped out what's available in the current marker, and offered you the choices available. Did you follow their advice?

Well then, get your advice there. Problem solved.

Are we done here? Apparantly not...

Really? It sure doesn;t seen so since you want to play our advice against other forums. Howsa about crying on their shoulders for your whiny problems.

OK, you prefer the compressed sound from cable TV as opposed to the dynamic sound of blu-rays. What do you expect us to do about it?
Are you out of your mind? No need to respond. I'd rather ignore your outburst than support it. Point of the forum is for people to talk about things. People to ask and others to respond. I can accept or ignore any advice given to me. If you feel like your advice is not being accepted by me, simply ignore my forum posts. Why would you care if I ask same questions on other forums? Why would you even go as far as tracking them all down? Don't you have better things to do? When I ask questions, like all other people, I hope to get as much response as possible to help me make the right decisions. What's so bad about it?

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Or you could take your own advice and ignore his post rather than getting butt hurt about it.:rolleyes: But you can see where he is coming from can't you?

That being said I've you told how to make your Blu-rays sound more like TV channels via the dynamic compression in your receiver what more do you want?:confused:

However if you want to compress things more (level out the sound between high and low) go the pg41(paper) pg45(pdf) in your owner’s manual and read the section called D. Range. Set it to min/auto for maximum compression.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Are you out of your mind? No need to respond. I'd rather ignore your outburst than support it. Point of the forum is for people to talk about things. People to ask and others to respond. I can accept or ignore any advice given to me. If you feel like your advice is not being accepted by me, simply ignore my forum posts. Why would you care if I ask same questions on other forums? Why would you even go as far as tracking them all down? Don't you have better things to do? When I ask questions, like all other people, I hope to get as much response as possible to help me make the right decisions. What's so bad about it?
OK, fine. Don't respond. I will anyway.

Over The past few months, you've been a plague here, and on other forums as well, asking detailed questions, taking polls and demanding everyone back up their answers to you.

People have been only too kind to help you, both here and at other sites. You've even played these sites against each other. Remember when I pointed that out? I can find it and repost it if you would like.

Now, you got all your data, analysed it, put it under the microscope, double-checked all your data, and then said you made a purchase. I said said. I'm not too sure you really did to be honest.

Now, here you are again. Only now, you seemingly insult the advice you were given here, praise the advice from another site, and complain about the performance of your system and have the gall to ask us for more advice?

And, it turns out that you're crying because the system you claim to have does what it's desighed to do too well?

I gotta say, you've got a set of brass ones.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic

Over The past few months, you've been a plague here, and on other forums as well, asking detailed questions, taking polls and demanding everyone back up their answers to you.

People have been only too kind to help you, both here and at other sites. You've even played these sites against each other. Remember when I pointed that out? I can find it and repost it if you would like.

Now, you got all your data, analysed it, put it under the microscope, double-checked all your data, and then said you made a purchase. I said said. I'm not too sure you really did to be honest.

Now, here you are again. Only now, you seemingly insult the advice you were given here, praise the advice from another site, and complain about the performance of your system and have the gall to ask us for more advice?

And, it turns out that you're crying because the system you claim to have does what it's desighed to do too well?

1) Never demanded anything from people that gave me advise.
2) Don't remember taking polls. Maybe 1?
3) Played sites against each other??? what? If I mention that I got certain advice on another forum, is that so bad? I did not insult this forum. What are you talking about???
4) I did buy 2 receivers (Onkyo 818 and Denon 4311), used them for 50 days and returned both. Did not feel like $1600 receiver improved my sound that much. Actually found some issues with it.
5) Where do you see me praise advice from other forum and insult this one??? I think you misunderstood my post.
6) Not complaining. Just trying to learn more. I have the upgrade bug in me and I do want to get the best out my speakers. Just confused about receivers simply because I hear very different advice from people.

I like the sound I get. I just want to fix the extra loud sound that comes out during explosions in movies. I want them loud but not twice as loud as the dialog.
hope this clears a few things.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Or you could take your own advice and ignore his post rather than getting butt hurt about it.:rolleyes: But you can see where he is coming from can't you?

go the pg41(paper) pg45(pdf) in your owner’s manual and read the section called D. Range.

That being said I've you told how to make your Blu-rays sound more like TV channels via the dynamic compression in your receiver what more do you want?:confused:
this is exactly what i've been looking for,. Will definitely try when i get home tonight.
thanks

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
1)
I like the sound I get. I just want to fix the extra loud sound that comes out during explosions in movies. I want them loud but not twice as loud as the dialog.
And you were told how to go about that - most receivers have some sort of dynamic compression setting/feature. Look in your receiver manual and find out how to enable it.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

We all know this system is probably a myth.

And he's trolling, Trolling on a forum.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Explosions are supposed to be loud.... It's like wanting to dive into a pool but only get the top half of you wet. Get an AVR with pre-outs and get a compressor/limiter in place and put a brick wall filter in then out to an external amp.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Explosions are supposed to be loud.... It's like wanting to dive into a pool but only get the top half of you wet.
Forgive me, as I'm diving in (keeping with the pool analogy) without reading the rest of the thread.

Sometimes, I prefer to have compressed dynamic range, like at night, when I have the windows open and don't want to bother the neighbors, or when I don't want to bother Niki. So, I can relate to that.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
We all know this system is probably a myth.

And he's trolling, Trolling on a forum.

just curious. "system a myth" ... you mean my signature? My equipment ... Ascend, Rythmik...?
why would you think that I lie about equipment I have? Just curious.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Forgive me, as I'm diving in (keeping with the pool analogy) without reading the rest of the thread.

Sometimes, I prefer to have compressed dynamic range, like at night, when I have the windows open and don't want to bother the neighbors, or when I don't want to bother Niki. So, I can relate to that.
What I am getting at is I know modern receivers have some form of limiter built in. But just like room eq they are 'just adequate'. My suggestion was compressor/limiter in an external loop to an amp and that way you have a true brick wall you can set.

Much better than what comes in most AVR's.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Explosions are supposed to be loud.... It's like wanting to dive into a pool but only get the top half of you wet. Get an AVR with pre-outs and get a compressor/limiter in place and put a brick wall filter in then out to an external amp.
...I can't be the only one that cringed a bit after reading "brick wall filter". Bleh

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
It's a bit of an extreme solution, but definitely an option if the OP really doesn't like the loudness of the explosions, which as mentioned previously, are supposed to be loud.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
4) I did buy 2 receivers (Onkyo 818 and Denon 4311), used them for 50 days and returned both. Did not feel like $1600 receiver improved my sound that much. Actually found some issues with it.
Wait wait wait, so let me get this straight. You start a thread about how the receiver people recommended you get is a joke and are wondering what to get. You then proclaim that you had purchased higher end things and saw no improvement? Drama drama drama myth system.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Wait wait wait, so let me get this straight. You start a thread about how the receiver people recommended you get is a joke and are wondering what to get. You then proclaim that you had purchased higher end things and saw no improvement? Drama drama drama myth system.
Again, not understanding .... "myth system". You think I don't own what I say I own in my signature of this forum?
also .... "receiver people recommended you get is a joke" ... a joke is a receiver I have now. Not receiver people recommended. Read carefully.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Here is how you end it real fast. I'll show mine if you show me yours :eek:

Here is a cell phone picture of everything in my sig minus the surrounds obviously;)

2012-02-04 13.49.59.jpg

Now let’s see what you got beacsue as you know a picture is worth a thousand words. :D

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Huh? I would love to hear your solution if the AVR isn't doing it...
I think he agrees with you in that it would work, but that for the most of us that would not be what we call an ideal situation and in fact would be something to avoid.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis