Lost, confused, and getting teary. What i learned and did not get about Receivers.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Sorry for the dramma as a headline but i hope you can take a minute to share your knowledge.

I spent $3,000+ on a decent home theater speakers, sub, etc. I really like my sound, but..... Everyone tells me that my receiver (yamaha rxv465) is a joke.

Not a problem. I can afford a new receiver, however ..... As i read this forum it sounds as if the only receiver to buy is a $1500+ with audyssey multeq xt32 and everything else is just not worthy. Hype???

I then go to site like blu-ray.com community and look at hundreds of serious home theaters people share info about and most of them use receivers like.... Pioneer elite, denon 3312, onkyos with just audyssey multeq ... No 32 points technology and they all seem happy.

My question ....... If i don't want to spend $1500 on a receiver, but i do want to change a joke of a receiver (yamaha rxv465).... Can't i just get a 2-3 year old receiver under $800 that was awesome when it came out?

Is that audyssey 32 so much better than whatever software Pioneer Elite had 3 years ago?

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

P.S. sound i get from regular cable tv watching i love. Sound from Movies ..... needs improvement.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Sorry for the dramma as a headline but i hope you can take a minute to share your knowledge.

I spent $3,000+ on a decent home theater speakers, sub, etc. I really like my sound, but..... Everyone tells me that my receiver (yamaha rxv465) is a joke.

Not a problem. I can afford a new receiver, however ..... As i read this forum it sounds as if the only receiver to buy is a $1500+ with audyssey multeq xt32 and everything else is just not worthy. Hype???

I then go to site like blu-ray.com community and look at hundreds of serious home theaters people share info about and most of them use receivers like.... Pioneer elite, denon 3312, onkyos with just audyssey multeq ... No 32 points technology and they all seem happy.

My question ....... If i don't want to spend $1500 on a receiver, but i do want to change a joke of a receiver (yamaha rxv465).... Can't i just get a 2-3 year old receiver under $800 that was awesome when it came out?

Is that audyssey 32 so much better than whatever software Pioneer Elite had 3 years ago?

P.S. sound i get from regular cable tv watching i love. Sound from Movies ..... needs improvement.
The big advantage to xt32 is if you have dual subs. If you only have one and don't plan on adding a second it's less important to get xt32 :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Why is the Yamaha a joke? Because some people tell you it is? Are you happy with the system's performance as-is, or not?

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I don't think any Yamaha receiver is a joke. They make a great product, and if your happy with it, keep it. Sony on the otherhand....j/k

ousooner2

ousooner2

Full Audioholic
I'd add an amp instead of changing the AVR. Just me though.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
I'd add an amp instead of changing the AVR. Just me though.
I thought a better EQ would fix problems with sound bouncing and dialog clarity? That's what they say after upgrading to Yamaha rx-a2010. Supposedly it has option to raise dialog volume/clarity and ballance out the way too loud sound effects.

Adding more power to my speakers, ..... How big of an improvement would that be?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I really like my sound, but..... Everyone tells me that my receiver (yamaha rxv465) is a joke.

But you do like the sound? The 465 is not a joke if you don't need more power than it can offer. Audyssey XT32 may or may not help you a lot depending on your room acoustic conditions. If you have a typical rectangular shaped room, Audyssey XT is probably good enough. It does not do much for me but I do need it to manage my subwoofers as I am getting too lazy to dial them in manually.

Regardless, if you don't mind last years models, get one of these for under 1.5K, then just sit back and enjoy.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2 Channel Network Multi-Room Home Theater Receiver with HDMI 1.4a

Amazon.com: Denon AVR3312CI Integrated Network A/V Surround Receiver: Electronics

Obviously you can spend less if you can find one in open box or refurbished with factory warranty.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
I thought a better EQ would fix problems with sound bouncing and dialog clarity?
Maybe you should consider some acoustic treatments for your room. Treated first reflection points and some bass treatments can solve a a lot of this before jumping to the EQ to solve things.

BTW if you have just 1 sub and no plans to expand AudysseyXT would be good enough if you choose to go that route.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
I really like my sound, but..... Everyone tells me that my receiver (yamaha rxv465) is a joke.

sound i get from regular cable tv watching i love. Sound from Movies ..... needs improvement.
Are you really suggesting upgrading because of what other people say (possibly without even listening to your system?)

If you don't like the sound I suggest narrowing down what you don't like and then finding the cause and treating it. Blindly upgrading components is not a surefire way to improve your system.

Now you like cable, but not movies? Is that cable from a dvr vs. movies from a blu ray? If so how are they both connected? How are the movies being decoded, by the player or the avr?

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Are you really suggesting upgrading because of what other people say (possibly without even listening to your system?)

If you don't like the sound I suggest narrowing down what you don't like and then finding the cause and treating it. Blindly upgrading components is not a surefire way to improve your system.

Now you like cable, but not movies? Is that cable from a dvr vs. movies from a blu ray? If so how are they both connected? How are the movies being decoded, by the player or the avr?

My cable box (dvr) is connected just like the blueray player ... Through hdmi into receiver. Then receiver only runs video to tv with one hdmi cable for all components

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I thought a better EQ would fix problems with sound bouncing and dialog clarity? That's what they say after upgrading to Yamaha rx-a2010. Supposedly it has option to raise dialog volume/clarity and ballance out the way too loud sound effects.

Adding more power to my speakers, ..... How big of an improvement would that be?
Your Yamaha is no joke. There are some "elitest around that just like to crap on other people's choice of equipment. I don't think that any version of Auddesssy will solve the clarity issue of your center channel. Where is your center channel located with respect to the display and with respect to the listening position? Power only improves things if its needed...meaning if you find that your volume is dialed to slightly less than half and you find it extremely loud, then I would say you would not need any more power. If however, the spekaers sound strained at even lower volumes, more power can only help.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
It's called "night" mode. It's part of the SCENE settings in your Yamaha.

None whatsoever unless you are under-powered now.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
It's called "night" mode. It's part of the SCENE settings in your Yamaha.

None whatsoever unless you are under-powered now.

My Yamaha rxv-465 does not have night mode, OR .... it's not available. Either way, unable to find it.
I use my Samsung BD-ES6000 and turn ON Dynamic Range Control. That helps a lot. Sound effects still loud but dialog becomes a bit louder and clearer. Still ..... i would want that effect to be even better. Watching Darknight Rises .... dialog is clear but every time there is loud shooting, I have to turn down volume by at least 6 .... meaning, going from -15 to -21. Now .... I can handle loud sound and I actually like it but it really becomes a bit toooo loud.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds to me like the nature of the beast. Dynamics are part of the HT experience.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Your Yamaha is no joke. There are some "elitest around that just like to crap on other people's choice of equipment. I don't think that any version of Auddesssy will solve the clarity issue of your center channel. Where is your center channel located with respect to the display and with respect to the listening position? Power only improves things if its needed...meaning if you find that your volume is dialed to slightly less than half and you find it extremely loud, then I would say you would not need any more power. If however, the spekaers sound strained at even lower volumes, more power can only help.
+1

If you have problems or aren't happy with the sound, then start listing ALL the details. Associated equip, room size, pics, etc etc. The good folks on here will get you where you want to be and give you a few options to get there.

The people that are saying "Yamaha is a joke" are haters. That's all. Yamaha makes top notch equipment and has for over 100 years. That isn't the top tier receiver, but it could work for many people in many situations.

If you ARE happy with the sound. Then just don't listen to the haters. Next time, make them listen to it without showing the receiver you are using that will cloud their judgement.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
My Yamaha rxv-465 does not have night mode, OR .... it's not available. Either way, unable to find it.
I use my Samsung BD-ES6000 and turn ON Dynamic Range Control. That helps a lot. Sound effects still loud but dialog becomes a bit louder and clearer. Still ..... i would want that effect to be even better. Watching Darknight Rises .... dialog is clear but every time there is loud shooting, I have to turn down volume by at least 6 .... meaning, going from -15 to -21. Now .... I can handle loud sound and I actually like it but it really becomes a bit toooo loud.
Most of us strive for dynamic range and maximize our equipment to handle these sudden changes. For example the reason many have larger amplifiers is that they provide more headroom for these momentary peaks in volume.

It sounds like you are victim of the loudness wars and just want everything compressed to the same relative volume. While this is not how the recordings were meant to be played backed it is entirely your choice how you want to set up and control your listening environment, as only you know what you like.

Have you used YAPO or a SPL meter to ensure that your speaker levels are set correctly? If you haven’t then you should try that first, and if you have then it’s perfectly okay to bump up the center channels level 1-2db if that helps you with speech intelligibility.

However if you want to compress things more (level out the sound between high and low) go the pg41(paper) pg45(pdf) in your owner’s manual and read the section called D. Range. Set it to min/auto for maximum compression.

Sounds to me like the nature of the beast. Dynamics are part of the HT experience.

I agree wholeheartedly!

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Could be the nature of the beast.

You could have a problem with dialog (honestly: this is why I stopped using a center-channel speaker in the bedroom... it hurt dialog).

It could be an over-tuned subwoofer (if it's an LF problem).

It could be an issue with speakers not being able to reproduce those volumes cleanly (causing it to become unpleasant)

If it does turn out to be dynamic range, there are options to perform dynamic dynamic-range compression. It would be a new piece of equipment (though I think there are some inexpensive ones)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Face it, you love the drama. You've been doing this for months now, playing our advice against that from other forums. Why apologize now? Have you listened to us before? Why would you do so now?

Who, eactly, is "everyone"? I take it you believe them, or at least want to. That's your choice.

The only "hype" here is your putting words in our mouths. Odds are you asked specific questions and the knowledgeable people took your desires, scoped out what's available in the current marker, and offered you the choices available. Did you follow their advice?

Well then, get your advice there. Problem solved.

Are we done here? Apparantly not...

Really? It sure doesn;t seen so since you want to play our advice against other forums. Howsa about crying on their shoulders for your whiny problems.

OK, you prefer the compressed sound from cable TV as opposed to the dynamic sound of blu-rays. What do you expect us to do about it?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis