Lost, confused, and getting teary. What i learned and did not get about Receivers.

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Dang now I have to eat my hat:eek:

Clearly the problem is that appears that you are wearing bibbed overalls with out a shirt on in the reflection of TV screen:D

Seriously though I think moving D. Rang to standard will actually increas the dynamic range or in simpler terms will the make difference between quite noises and louder noises such as explosions greater, but you can always try it.

What about the loud noises bother you? Is is the treble or bass portion? BTW have you ran the YAPO in that yammy?

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
soooo....... ok, D.Range is now my best friend. Thanks for advising on it.

Here is what happened.

Using movie "Dark Knight" ... beginning of it ... when window blows out, guns going off in the bank, batman rolling in in his car.

so, once I changed to STD (Standard), now sound effects are not as crazy. It's actually almost perfect. Dialog is much clearer ... I am turning my volume to -8 and it's perfect. Yea .... a little bit of heavy sound effect is gone BUT .... i don't have to jump for the remote every time a gun shoots. When I have D.Range set at MAX ... i have to lower volume to -16. It's ok, but yea, action sound is a bit too much.

I am now able to turn off the Dynamic Range from my BluRay player. Had it turned on before and it helped a bit.

Something to note .... D.Range seems to work only on TruHD movies. So... if I am watching cable in Dolby Digital ... changing those D.Range options does absolutely nothing.

Final thought:
I am glad I can now use D.Range STD for movies that are just too loud or where dialog is not so clear or when it's after 12am. However, I will set it to MAX at the beginning of the movie just to see if STD is actually needed.

seems like there is almost no difference from min/auto and MAX option. Also .... hope this thing will work for movies that are in Dolby Digital or DTS.

P.S. ...... wish I could get the perfect middle ..... something between D.Range STD and D.Range MAX :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Something to note .... D.Range seems to work only on TruHD movies. So... if I am watching cable in Dolby Digital ... changing those D.Range options does absolutely nothing.

P.S. ...... wish I could get the perfect middle ..... something between D.Range STD and D.Range MAX :)
The DR doesn't seem to work on the cable box.....because the cable box is giving you a compressed signal. The cable company has already applied the range limiting, so of course you don't hear a difference. This was mentioned very early in the thread by someone else.

You can get the perfect middle, but it may take some time and a lot of trial and error, speaker placement tweaking, running YPAO, and other settings.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
One more thing to try is, to keep the D.Range at max, but boost the center level trim. You won't need to pump the master volume as much and you won't sacrifice details in the sound for when you do.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Noticed once again that the D. Range works ONLY when movies recorded are in Dolby TruHD. So even if it's DTS HD ..... changing from min/Auto to STD to MAX .... does nothing. Very strange. Does this mean that this receiver's D.Range is limited only to TruHD movies>>?

thanks

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Did you use Adaptive DRC? It should be a setting on the receiver itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Did you use Adaptive DRC? It should be a setting on the receiver itself.
:) .... i have not. Does this mean that when Dolby TruHD is playing it does it on it's own and when it's anything else I have to "pre-define" set these options?

Last edited by a moderator:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know enough about how yamaha receivers are set up. It should be a "universal" setting that will apply DRC to all audio input into the receiver. At least that's how all of the DRC options on my other receivers have worked.

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Adaptive DRC may not help this problem as, if i remember correctly, that applies progressively less DRC as you increase the volume. If you're listening at reasonable levels it probably will not do much.

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
So ... I had Adaptive DRC turned OFF. As I turn it to Auto ... i notice that dialog became even more louder/clearer. Will play with this option during different movies.

great advice here. thanks

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Looks like Moderator cleaned up this thread a bit,.

Anyway ..... system works so much better after adjusting D.Range and DRC option set to Auto.

Thanks to the 2 guys ...... nibhaz and panteragstk and to everyone else who contributed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis