Looks like I am losing my Audioholics status

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The more we think about it, the more we feel like our approach maybe wrong. It's possible that what we are really doing is more of just a facelift vs a remodel and we have the wrong companies bidding it.

There are 7 steps in what we want to do and tile work and flooring make up the majority of it. Each General Contractor, that has come out, seem to speculate that "their" floor guys will complete most of the work. We are starting to think that we may not even need a GC and so far we have not been impressed on their knowledge around flooring.

Below is our project outline, would you take a look and see if it makes sense on what type of company to hire
Fireplace

1. Bring to ceiling with stacked stone veneer

2. No hearth

3. No mantel

Stacked stone on bar wall

Built in AV cabinet

Bar Area

1. Barn door

2. Upper glass front cabinets

3. Lower cabinets with wine cooler

4. New granite

5. Electric outlet above granite

Floors

1. Stain and hand scrape hardwoods or replace current hardwoods
  2. Bring into bedroom
  3. Tile kitchen and two bathrooms
Backsplash

1. Kitchen

2. Bar

Shower remodel in guest bathroom

1. Tile shower
  2. Frameless glass
  3. Bronze Fixtures

You wrote "outlet over counter" as if the electrical code doesn't require them to be much more in number and closer in proximity than is necessary.

This is one thing the code requires which may make you think they're insane and they don't seem to care about how it looks but if you want to make the backsplash look much better AND meet code, think about installing plug mold, instead. It's mounted under the upper cabinets and prevents the need for cutting holes in stone that may be fragile enough to break when a bunch of holes are cut. It also saves a lot of labor cost for this.

WRT the fireplace without a hearth, you'll need to have some kind of non-combustible material on the floor within 36" of the opening, to prevent embers popping out and starting a fire. While it may seem unnecessary for a gas fireplace, never say "never" to the possibility that someone will grab some wood and start a fire. Hopefully, it's not necessary for a gas fireplace or with glass doors.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You wrote "outlet over counter" as if the electrical code doesn't require them to be much more in number and closer in proximity than is necessary.

This is one thing the code requires which may make you think they're insane and they don't seem to care about how it looks but if you want to make the backsplash look much better AND meet code, think about installing plug mold, instead. It's mounted under the upper cabinets and prevents the need for cutting holes in stone that may be fragile enough to break when a bunch of holes are cut. It also saves a lot of labor cost for this.

WRT the fireplace without a hearth, you'll need to have some kind of non-combustible material on the floor within 36" of the opening, to prevent embers popping out and starting a fire. While it may seem unnecessary for a gas fireplace, never say "never" to the possibility that someone will grab some wood and start a fire. Hopefully, it's not necessary for a gas fireplace or with glass doors.
My brother in law is a Master Electrician so he will know what all needs to be done. Great idea on the plug mold as our backslash is going to be glass tiles so avoiding cutting it will be a great idea.

Correct on the hearth. It will have a porcelain insert that is 18" deep and 40" long that will be level with the hardwoods.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So after getting everything installed and up and running, I haven't lost my AH status at all.

I am absolutely shocked by the way this in-ceiling system sounds and performs. I don't even miss my SVS as the new attic sub is a true player.

You can't tell any of the music or dialog is coming from overhead either. I guess pointing the tweeters properly has a lot of merit.

Getting a 80 lbs sub up in the attic, taking it all the way to the opposite side of the house while balancing on 2x4's and the holding it on the drywall but with only a little bit of it's weight pressing down as your buddy screws it into the joists was not fun at all.

I have a lot of other stuff going on with coordination of the remodel so I just threw the gear in the closet where it will stay but I will go back and properly tidy up everything with cable management. I just wanted to have some music and TV in the meantime.

Getting started:

Some huge in-ceilings:

Sub before install:

Sub after install:

Sloppy gear closet:

The best control system I have had to date:

highfigh

highfigh

My brother in law is a Master Electrician so he will know what all needs to be done. Great idea on the plug mold as our backslash is going to be glass tiles so avoiding cutting it will be a great idea.

Correct on the hearth. It will have a porcelain insert that is 18" deep and 40" long that will be level with the hardwoods.
I only know about plug mold meeting code for kitchens because I was working on a job and the electrician punched holes across the whole area where the soap stone backsplash was going to be and the cabinetmaker told the homeowner about it after they had commented that they'd like it more if the outlets didn't need to be visible.

highfigh

highfigh

So after getting everything installed and up and running, I haven't lost my AH status at all.

I am absolutely shocked by the way this in-ceiling system sounds and performs. I don't even miss my SVS as the new attic sub is a true player.

You can't tell any of the music or dialog is coming from overhead either. I guess pointing the tweeters properly has a lot of merit.

Getting a 80 lbs sub up in the attic, taking it all the way to the opposite side of the house while balancing on 2x4's and the holding it on the drywall but with only a little bit of it's weight pressing down as your buddy screws it into the joists was not fun at all.

I have a lot of other stuff going on with coordination of the remodel so I just threw the gear in the closet where it will stay but I will go back and properly tidy up everything with cable management. I just wanted to have some music and TV in the meantime.

Getting started:

Some huge in-ceilings:

Sub before install:

Sub after install:

Sloppy gear closet:

The best control system I have had to date:
What speakers?

They definitely did their homework on the new remotes and hub.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have a cable track to completely hide the rest of the wires/cables but I got this far yesterday and was like "who cares, it's in a freaking closet"...

I will go ahead and finish out the end of the shelves so they are at least white. I think you can just buy some iron on veneer, correct?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a cable track to completely hide the rest of the wires/cables but I got this far yesterday and was like "who cares, it's in a freaking closet"...

I will go ahead and finish out the end of the shelves so they are at least white. I think you can just buy some iron on veneer, correct?

I use this stuff on my diy subs

highfigh

highfigh

If you have a Rockler store near you, they'll have some kind of veneer. If you decide to paint it, rub some drywall mud into the end, let it dry, prime it and paint it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
SpeakerCraft AIM 8 TWO Series 2
If you really think the in-celing speakers sound that great I may just have to consider going that route in my living room.

I've tried small bookshelf speakers with a sub and it was pretty decent, but "ugly".

I've now got my pioneer towers in place (since the theater is on hold) and they still sound good, but not good enough.

I wanted to build some nice bookshelf speakers to go on stands, but with my limited space I just don't think it would look right.

I'm going to have to go to a BB that carries these and see if they have a demo set up.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
If you really think the in-celing speakers sound that great I may just have to consider going that route in my living room.

I've tried small bookshelf speakers with a sub and it was pretty decent, but "ugly".

I've now got my pioneer towers in place (since the theater is on hold) and they still sound good, but not good enough.

I wanted to build some nice bookshelf speakers to go on stands, but with my limited space I just don't think it would look right.

I'm going to have to go to a BB that carries these and see if they have a demo set up.
Don't judge just by what I have said. I set my expectations very low and I am shocked how good it actually sounds. This listening is based solely on 2 movies and streamed background music. I have not done any calibration except a 1 position MultEQ XT32.

Once things settle down with the remodel and she has the actual furniture picked out and where it will stay, I will do a full cal and break out some High Resolution music and see where we are.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Don't judge just by what I have said. I set my expectations very low and I am shocked how good it actually sounds. This listening is based solely on 2 movies and streamed background music. I have not done any calibration except a 1 position MultEQ XT32.

Once things settle down with the remodel and she has the actual furniture picked out and where it will stay, I will do a full cal and break out some High Resolution music and see where we are.
Point taken.

I will say that I still like my cheapo pioneers, but am just trying to find something that will look nice.

I will still build a pair of something nice for my office/den and do nice in-walls for the theater to save on space, so I'm not going to be missing out on any audio quality...at least in other rooms.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Point taken.

I will say that I still like my cheapo pioneers, but am just trying to find something that will look nice.

I will still build a pair of something nice for my office/den and do nice in-walls for the theater to save on space, so I'm not going to be missing out on any audio quality...at least in other rooms.
Point taken.

We are in between phases of the remodel so I went ahead and ran 8 point calibration and this system just sounds pretty darn good.

I also added active cooling and power conditioner. The reason is....I felt like buying something since I gave up so much...lol...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm SO glad my wife let's me have my audio equipment. She mostly just let's me go. Only time there's an issue is when it's something pretty expensive.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm SO glad my wife let's me have my audio equipment. She mostly just let's me go. Only time there's an issue is when it's something pretty expensive.
Same here, but she knew early on A/V was part of my life. Although I do have to periodically remind her that we both pay for the mortgage so she's not claiming anything without discussion. To her credit I do have 7.3 in the LR, 5.1 in 2 other rooms, plus my drums in a studio, lol. And we have guitars and a piano in the house too. Not to mention outside toys. I'm trying to figure out out to warm her up to 7.3.4 in the LR, but I'd like upgrade my subs first. Then all my speakers lol. Why she hasn't traded me in............

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks sharp all tidied up like that. Is that out in the garage or in the office?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis