Looks like I am losing my Audioholics status

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Well, my wife tolerated all my gear for 10 years but now she wants her living room back. My argument was that the only place for the TV would be the fireplace and the mantle is way too tall to mount it above. We have been there and done that in this house. We also now have 2 home offices which just leaves us with our bedroom so there just isn't another place for everything.

We discussed how we could just have the fireplace redone which turned into talks about redoing the kitchen, knocking out a wall, getting all new hardwoods, rebuilding the layout of the laundry room and new tile in the kitchen and bathrooms.

At that point I just decided it would be best to move into a bigger house. Mind you that this was to be our very affordable retire home which is why we added a pool and outdoor kitchen.

After looking at a bunch of houses we couldn't find anything that we liked, more than our little house, that wasn't 3x the cost of where we are now. We almost pulled the trigger on one of them which was a beautiful 4 bed, 3 bath and HT room on 1.5 acres. I didn't have one single good night of sleep since we had found that house and then I came to my senses and remembered that I probably have 10 good working years left in me and there is no way that I was going to take on a huge note in an area that had taxes twice what I pay now plus I hate yard work.

We talked and agreed that we can go ahead and do what we want to our house with plans of always having it. We have builder/remodeling team coming out next Monday to go over everything and get some pricing.

The thought of knowing we have 10 years left on the mortgage and if we had to, we could pay the note off at anytime, without hurting our savings, led to some awesome sleep every since the decision.

I will miss my gear and settle for some inceilings and a TV on the fireplace. I probably won't even have a sub as we don't want the floor space taken up.

There is a chance that my best friend whom just purchased a house with a HT room will buy all of my gear. That would be just awesome as I could still enjoy it from time to time.

When I look back of some of the crazy stuff I had, I am surprised she let me keep it this long...lol

Last edited:
its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I say you put the speakers and the subs in your office :)

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I am not winning this fight. I say you come over and buy everything before my friend does.
I would love to but I am trying my best to reduce my cc debt. I also can't fit any of that stuff in a honda civic D:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's unfortunate indeed. Is would tell my wife, I live here too ya know...
Hopefully you'll sell it all to your buddy, and you'll be able to visit once in awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That's unfortunate indeed. Is would tell my wife, I live here too ya know...
Hopefully you'll sell it all to your buddy, and you'll be able to visit once in awhile.

I told her "I live here too" for 10 years. She can have the next 10 and then we can reevaluate if we are still alive.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. That's fair I guess.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I would love to but I am trying my best to reduce my cc debt. I also can't fit any of that stuff in a honda civic D:
I don't take credit cards anyway...

...and...we can figure out a way to get it there. My friend, that is interested, grew up nextdoor to me and we have stayed tight all these years. In short, that means he may never remember to pay for any of it....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe you could sell it to him for one dollar, and if you figure out a better arrangement, he can sell it back to you for 2 bucks.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Maybe you could sell it to him for one dollar, and if you figure out a better arrangement, he can sell it back to you for 2 bucks.

LOL....He may not would give it back.

I am OK with all of it. I tend to listen to more background music now and seldom watch movies anymore.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
In-walls doesn't have to be horrible. You do know they make nice in-wall subs just as well.
Sounds to me like the space is the issue, not the budget - thus nice KEF/RBH/Source in-wall speakers should be considered in addition to tasteful room treatment.

P.S: Going with in-walls doesn't means you loose AH status, but going with Bose system will.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
In-walls doesn't have to be horrible. You do know they make nice in-wall subs just as well.
Sounds to me like the space is the issue, not the budget - thus nice KEF/RBH/Source in-wall speakers should be considered in addition to tasteful room treatment.

P.S: Going with in-walls doesn't means you loose AH status, but going with Bose system will.
I can't do inwalls as there are windows on either side of the fireplace and no wall. I already have some good SpeakerCraft inceilings so I bet I just use them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We'll mourn for your loss :) Curious, what is the wife giving up in this case?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
She gave up her living room for 10 years.
So now she gives up her husband's happiness. I'm sorry, but that is a really dumb decision. When I find something that makes my wife happy I try to get her more of it, not take something important away for what sounds like a selfish reason.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
So now she gives up her husband's happiness. I'm sorry, but that is a really dumb decision. When I find something that makes my wife happy I try to get her more of it, not take something important away for what sounds like a selfish reason.
A HT doesn't make me happy. It was cool in our last house as we had a HT room. I am ready for more furniture and a more normal living space now too since I don't really utilize it at this point. 90% of the time that I listen to music or watch TV now is out on the back patio or while in the pool.

My happiness comes from riding bikes and working out and some of my favorite times are when I am on an easy day and we just ride for a few hours together. We actually compromise to make each other happy while biking as I road bike with her because that's what she likes to do and she mountain bikes with me because I like it better. In the end, we are on a bike either way and that's where I normally want to be.

I know I don't have to justify myself to you but it's just not something I will miss at this stage of my life. If it were, I would make sure it stayed around.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis