How long have you owned your A/V equipment?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, and fwiw I have gear in use purchased in the early 80s thru today....

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
Pioneer Elite SC-27 - 6-7 years
Yamaha AVR - 10+ years

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I fear this thread might be subject to geezers
Well I've been on the forums long enough to be the head geezer.

My plan is to buy gear that is first class for what I want it to do.

I also buy gear with an eye to reliability and longevity. If I can service and fix it so much the better. This gets harder as companies fail to publish circuits and service manuals. In addition receivers and pre pros are unbelievably complicated.

I do my utmost to not lumber myself up with junk. As I have said before junk purchases are he most costly

A good deal of equipment I have had a very long time. If there is an advantage to building it myself I will. Sometimes I will modify equipment for my own purposes, like three of my electronic crossovers.

My speakers I have always built. Most of them evolve to some degree over a period of time. I will frequently repurpose gear.

I will replace gear if it can not be reliably or economically be repaired. This is very rare for me. The most common reason is technological change and or outliving support. More about that later.
Equipment is added to provide a facility not previously available as a rule.

Bear in mind that I have been using audio equipment for 63 years now. I have been into the video part seriously for 11 years now.

My analog equipment has been with me a long time. Much of my disc playing equipment for half a century or more. My analog tape equipment for 40 to 50 years. My first digital recording equipment from 1984.

I use exclusively Quad amplification. I have added amps as required.

The LCR speakers were built and installed in 2006. Certain revisions have been done over the years, but not for some time now, just maintenance. The surrounds were built originally as location monitors. The rear backs were started in 1979 and revised extensively over a 10 year period. These were my reference speakers at my previous location. The bass line was rebuilt on transfer here in 2006 to better voice them to the space.

The speakers in the lower great room were built in 2006 for that space.

In our Twin Cities residence the speakers date from 1989 and were my second set of location recording monitors.

As far as the video end of it. I bought a 42" LED TV for the lower great room in 2006 and it is still in use.

In 2006 very large screens were very expensive so this plasma was installed then.

That was replaced four years ago, with a larger screen that was just over half the cost of the original.

The original TV is still working and in a secondary room in our other residence that the grandchildren use for gaming mainly.

I still have the Marantz universal disc player from 2006. The original preo pro was a Rotel, at the time there was no pre pro that had HDMI. When the lossless codecs were introduced and OPPO BD player was added the Rotel sold and replaced by a Marantz 8003 in early 2010. This is still the main control unit of the system, with no plans to replace it.

I built an HTPC four years ago. This is probably my most used peripheral. It was built to a high standard and there are no plans to replace it. A universal Sony BD player was added about a year ago.

The most troublesome units have been Direct TV units which is beyond my control. The Comcast units at Eagan have given plenty of trouble also over the years. I have cut the cord there and use a Channel Master DVR with over air signal. An Intel NUC was added there as an HTPC. We have Chromecast on all the systems. We stream or download much more than we watch traditional TV.

Now there is a major replacement in progress.

At the end of 2004 I built a DAW using Windows XP, Steinberg WaveLab 5 (later upgraded to 6), and an RME Fireface 800.

Digital Audio Workstations were cutting edge then, with few processors able to handle the demands.

My eldest son a software engineer, and my second son then in training as an EE named it "Death Star."

Anyhow support for XP has ended and now all browsers are ending support. The hard drive is now starting to show errors. This unit has done a tremendous amount of work over 13 years. I addition engineers coming here want more current software.

So this makes a compelling case for replacement.

So stay tuned "Death Star II" is coming.

Details will be posted when build and installation are complete and I know it will actually work.

This shows my approach to replacement and upgrades.

This is a conservative approach, based on buying the right reliable equipment for the task at hand. Replacement is never done just because there is a later unit. A replacement must provide a worthwhile and useful increase in functionality and or audibly improved sound quality.

I firmly believe that is by far the most cost effective route to fine AV performance.

hunted11

hunted11

Audiophyte
I'm new to this forum, but my gear is not so new. I am presently running a Mac C28 preamp, MR 73 tuner, MC 2100 power amp, a Carver PM-350 power amp, a Yamaha DSP 1 sound processor, Speakers are Bose and JBL. Most of the gear was purchased in 69 to 72. I have recaped the MC 2100 and the Carver. My backup amp is a GAS Ampzilla ( the original ) I plan on going through that soon. I agree with TLS Guy, I like gear that I can take care of myself.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm new to this forum, but my gear is not so new. I am presently running a Mac C28 preamp, MR 73 tuner, MC 2100 power amp, a Carver PM-350 power amp, a Yamaha DSP 1 sound processor, Speakers are Bose and JBL. Most of the gear was purchased in 69 to 72. I have recaped the MC 2100 and the Carver. My backup amp is a GAS Ampzilla ( the original ) I plan on going through that soon. I agree with TLS Guy, I like gear that I can take care of myself.
McIntosh equipment with Bose speakers? Haw..?

You have some nice electronics. Ever considered a speaker upgrade?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
McIntosh equipment with Bose speakers? Haw..?

You have some nice electronics. Ever considered a speaker upgrade?
He did say that the stuff was purchased between 69 and 72 so maybe bose used to make good speakers.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Well I've been on the forums long enough to be the head geezer.

My plan is to buy gear that is first class for what I want it to do.

I also buy gear with an eye to reliability and longevity. If I can service and fix it so much the better. This gets harder as companies fail to publish circuits and service manuals. In addition receivers and pre pros are unbelievably complicated.

I do my utmost to not lumber myself up with junk. As I have said before junk purchases are he most costly

A good deal of equipment I have had a very long time. If there is an advantage to building it myself I will. Sometimes I will modify equipment for my own purposes, like three of my electronic crossovers.

My speakers I have always built. Most of them evolve to some degree over a period of time. I will frequently repurpose gear.

I will replace gear if it can not be reliably or economically be repaired. This is very rare for me. The most common reason is technological change and or outliving support. More about that later.
Equipment is added to provide a facility not previously available as a rule.

Bear in mind that I have been using audio equipment for 63 years now. I have been into the video part seriously for 11 years now.

My analog equipment has been with me a long time. Much of my disc playing equipment for half a century or more. My analog tape equipment for 40 to 50 years. My first digital recording equipment from 1984.

I use exclusively Quad amplification. I have added amps as required.

The LCR speakers were built and installed in 2006. Certain revisions have been done over the years, but not for some time now, just maintenance. The surrounds were built originally as location monitors. The rear backs were started in 1979 and revised extensively over a 10 year period. These were my reference speakers at my previous location. The bass line was rebuilt on transfer here in 2006 to better voice them to the space.

The speakers in the lower great room were built in 2006 for that space.

In our Twin Cities residence the speakers date from 1989 and were my second set of location recording monitors.

As far as the video end of it. I bought a 42" LED TV for the lower great room in 2006 and it is still in use.

In 2006 very large screens were very expensive so this plasma was installed then.

That was replaced four years ago, with a larger screen that was just over half the cost of the original.

The original TV is still working and in a secondary room in our other residence that the grandchildren use for gaming mainly.

I still have the Marantz universal disc player from 2006. The original preo pro was a Rotel, at the time there was no pre pro that had HDMI. When the lossless codecs were introduced and OPPO BD player was added the Rotel sold and replaced by a Marantz 8003 in early 2010. This is still the main control unit of the system, with no plans to replace it.

I built an HTPC four years ago. This is probably my most used peripheral. It was built to a high standard and there are no plans to replace it. A universal Sony BD player was added about a year ago.

The most troublesome units have been Direct TV units which is beyond my control. The Comcast units at Eagan have given plenty of trouble also over the years. I have cut the cord there and use a Channel Master DVR with over air signal. An Intel NUC was added there as an HTPC. We have Chromecast on all the systems. We stream or download much more than we watch traditional TV.

Now there is a major replacement in progress.

At the end of 2004 I built a DAW using Windows XP, Steinberg WaveLab 5 (later upgraded to 6), and an RME Fireface 800.

Digital Audio Workstations were cutting edge then, with few processors able to handle the demands.

My eldest son a software engineer, and my second son then in training as an EE named it "Death Star."

Anyhow support for XP has ended and now all browsers are ending support. The hard drive is now starting to show errors. This unit has done a tremendous amount of work over 13 years. I addition engineers coming here want more current software.

So this makes a compelling case for replacement.

So stay tuned "Death Star II" is coming.

Details will be posted when build and installation are complete and I know it will actually work.

This shows my approach to replacement and upgrades.

This is a conservative approach, based on buying the right reliable equipment for the task at hand. Replacement is never done just because there is a later unit. A replacement must provide a worthwhile and useful increase in functionality and or audibly improved sound quality.

I firmly believe that is by far the most cost effective route to fine AV performance.
Are you God?

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I have add that I purchased a galaxy s8 4 months ago. I mentioning it because I just found it is a High Res audio player as well.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My main HT rig is running TV and AVR that are right about 10 years old!

Time for upgrades, but I've been biding my time on that........

hunted11

hunted11

Audiophyte
@ Pogre, I started with KLH 17's then the Bose 501, then life..... marriage, children, all the other stuff in life. Saw many a speaker that I would have loved to purchase, but funds were short. Then came divorce. Bought a pair of 901 IV, surrounds deteriorated, took up Bose and went with the 901 VI. I can honestly say I prefered the series IV over the VI, but that's what I have now. All of the good audio shops in my area closed and I just didn't feel justified to go searching again as life came about again, second wife and family. Still with wife #2 and she tolerates me rattling all the windows in the house with what I have. She doesn't know how to turn on my system, let alone string a tape through one of my reel to reels. But I love her and am pleased with the system I have at the young age of 66.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I finally upgraded my non-hdmi receiver last December, (which was still working fine), and of course, Yamaha comes out with the 3070 :rolleyes:..., but I feel like I'm set there for a while. It has all the features and power I want or need, and sounds good. The only question left about the receiver is long term reliability. I upgraded my TV as well, so I can't see myself purchasing another set for a while as I am quite happy with it. I also bought my first decent sub ( I may add a second one at some point) But I'm really good there as well. I have toyed with the idea of upgrading speakers, but I still really enjoy listening to my current ones, and although I know there are better speakers out there, I'm not sure how much I would have to spend to truly get an upgrade in sound. My center channel sounds fantastic to me and even if I change out the mains, I most likely will keep it. I know there are better surround speakers options, but the room dictates I keep what I have for now. Long story short, I think I am done spending for a while.... (A little while) :D

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Trying to get a feel for how long do here typically people keep their existing equipment and or how frequently they upgrade.

For example, I have SVS Ultra speakers for almost two years, however I purchased them after owning AR speakers about for 14 years.

I have owned my Panasonic 60-VT60 for 4 years. I've heard that people now upgrade TV's approximately every 7 years.

Owned by Pioneer Pioneer Elite SC-63 for about 5 years. Owned my Pioneer Kuro FD 5020 for almost 8 years.
It's a little irritating how fast we have to upgrade. I have a decent set of Klipsch but I'm already thinking of upgrading my Sony 4K to its newer OLED version. My Denon 5200 already lacks certain things the new models have. If things continue to move so fast I expect to upgrade receivers ever 5 years. TVs as well.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha RX-V1800 sitting around 8 years old,
Yamaha RX-V1500 bought used but it must be close to 15 years old.
Yamaha KX800U cassette deck,1987 vintage.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think upgrading has everything to do with our belief about whether new technologies could improve our audio-video experience.

Most of us upgraded to 1080p, HDMI, and DTS-HD/TrueHD because we believe these technologies benefited us.

Some people upgraded to 3D, 4K, & ATMOS because they believe the same.

As for me, I don't see any real improvements any time soon.

I'll probably still be using my Denon AVP-A1HDCI 30 years from now (assuming it still works :D).

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
while all my stuff is of modest decent, I have a post here from another forum that may be the champion in the longevity department. I hope the link works properly. His speakers are from WWii. As in, World War II.
It was a big war, and these are some big hunkin' speakers. Still hooked up. Still in use. They make Klipschorns look like toys.

WWII VINTAGE SPEAKERS

You can scroll down through some excellent equipment. Some of it is brand new and digital, other portions are analog and of some vintage. But, the speakers are the true stars here. Somewhere in one of his posts he refers to them as WWII era equipment. That's pretty freakin' old if true. I have no way to verify the claim. The speakers are awesome no matter how old they actually are.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
while all my stuff is of modest decent, I have a post here from another forum that may be the champion in the longevity department. I hope the link works properly. His speakers are from WWii. As in, World War II.
It was a big war, and these are some big hunkin' speakers. Still hooked up. Still in use. They make Klipschorns look like toys.

WWII VINTAGE SPEAKERS

You can scroll down through some excellent equipment. Some of it is brand new and digital, other portions are analog and of some vintage. But, the speakers are the true stars here. Somewhere in one of his posts he refers to them as WWII era equipment. That's pretty freakin' old if true. I have no way to verify the claim. The speakers are awesome no matter how old they actually are.
Good lord, they look like TLS' speakers on hulk juice! Each speaker is a room practically. A lot of equipment there too. Almost looks like a shop or warehouse instead of a living room!

02-Lamm-ML3+Bionors.jpg

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Good lord, they look like TLS' speakers on hulk juice! Each speaker is a room practically. A lot of equipment there too. Almost looks like a shop or warehouse instead of a living room!

View attachment 22192
I was really hoping @TLS Guy would see this post and give an opinion on some of the equipment.
There are a lot of turntables that look like TLS Guy might recognize them.
The speakers themselves I was also hoping he would offer an opinion.
If there's anybody that could give us a critique on them, it would be him. He's awesome.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Here is brief quote from the fellow from the other forum who went and visited this wonderful collectors home and auditioned the equipment. The stuff in all the photos belongs to a single collector and he is a genuine music buff. The author of the post was asked by others on his forum to describe the cables and interconnects. I believe they asked him to do so because they felt by doing so they would learn what a master audiophile prefers when cost is no barrier and only the finest sound is desired.

Here is a direct quote I though you might enjoy:
"I was asked yesterday to discuss the cables that David used in the system so that members could get an idea of the sound. Well here's the rub. David does not believe in any brand name power cords, interconects or speaker cables as he makes his own cables from---are you ready---roll cable" which he buys in China for $300 for 50 meters. So for those trying to get an idea i can say that there is no idea to get. David's favorite interconnects before he started with roll wire was good old Radio Shack wire. He loved it as it was "natural sounding""

A man after my own heart.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

WWII VINTAGE SPEAKERS

Holy crap. That dude's got it bad. What a nice, museum quality layout though, huh? Thanks for posting that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis