How long have you owned your A/V equipment?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
The 500 series is a whole different animal. I'm pretty sure at the time it was their entry level for B&W speakers. I think I picked them up for $400 (used) at a hifi place, which is closed now. :(

I'm almost positive your 804D3's would blow away the 500 series.
Maybe I didn't word that quite right...lol...the d3s are the new ones!

The place I bought my B&Ws from like most from that era are no longer around, but they only had had 800 series...don't quote me on this but somewhere along the way I think B&W changed ownership or had some type of ownership change and they really started pushing the brand into a lot more areas in audio, lower pricepoints, inwall, etc. and the old timer dealers that were around 20-30 years ago felt maybe they grew too big...idk...I think they still make a great product on the highend, but value wise they are pretty low on my totem pole.

2channel lover

It's friday and I haven't said how awesome the Salk Songtowers are in at least a couple of days. And if I have said it, I know I haven't said it today. At least not twice.

The Salks are awesome. I don't care if that makes me a Salk fan-boy. They simply make great sound.
I'm going to go and spend some time in the new pool and then sit and relax with some tunes.
Some tunes that sound ever so much better than they used to because of some great advice on speakers from the AH folks. Have a great weekend. Hopefully your weekend has nothing to do with hurricanes.

To be honest, I have not seen a Salk owner that wasn't a fanboy.

Great weather on tap for the weekend so I plan on enjoying it, but early next week we might get hit by some version of Irma....probably a tropical storm by then...hopefully.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The Salks are coming in a little more than half the cost of a pair 804d3s...and that includes a center channel!

Thanks to AH, other research, and some good timing. I was able to build this system under my budget and I get everything I wanted and more quite frankly...it's been fun.
It's friday and I haven't said how awesome the Salk Songtowers are in at least a couple of days. And if I have said it, I know I haven't said it today. At least not twice.

The Salks are awesome. I don't care if that makes me a Salk fan-boy. They simply make great sound.
I'm going to go and spend some time in the nebew pool and then sit and relax with some tunes.
Some tunes that sound ever so much better than they used to because of some great advice on speakers from the AH folks. Have a great weekend. Hopefully your weekend has nothing to do with hurricanes.
I'm been away from home most of this week in the beautiful Berkshire mountains of western Massachusetts. The fall colors are just beginning to appear in some maple trees.

My son is getting married later today, and I and my wife have been here helping with the extensive setup. He & his wife-to-be have rented the lodge of a summer camp by a lake where the wedding will take place. The food and decorations are all DIY! The setting and all the buildings are quite RUSTIC. Roofs, walls, windows (screens - yes, glass - no). There is a large but crude kitchen and electricity, but no heat - just a large stone fireplace. Daytime temperatures have been as high as 70 degrees, 43 at night. Some rain, but nothing like a hurricane! Its been a lot of work. Fortunately there have been a lot of mainly young people helping. Visitors have the option of sleeping in the crude camp houses. I chose to rent a more civilized cottage about 5 miles away. At least we have wifi and cell phone service here at the cottage! None at the camp!

Yesterday, I hung a lot of lights (similar to Christmas lights but with larger bulbs) all over the place. (This morning my feet hurt from standing on ladders for so long.) Helping me was a young woman who (among others) shares a house with my son. He now has my old Salk SongTowers that I've loved so much over the last 10 years. She is a musician who now also loves the Salks. She was extremely enthusiastic about them, full of questions about what/who is Salk and what do I know about them. So I was having a great time, hanging lights and talking about speakers :).

The wedding itself is this afternoon. It will be a welcome change from all the decoration work. On Sunday we take it all down :eek:.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm been away from home most of this week in the beautiful Berkshire mountains of western Massachusetts. The fall colors are just beginning to appear in some maple trees.

My son is getting married later today, and I and my wife have been here helping with the extensive setup. He & his wife-to-be have rented the lodge of a summer camp by a lake where the wedding will take place. The food and decorations are all DIY! The setting and all the buildings are quite RUSTIC. Roofs, walls, windows (screens - yes, glass - no). There is a large but crude kitchen and electricity, but no heat - just a large stone fireplace. Daytime temperatures have been as high as 70 degrees, 43 at night. Some rain, but nothing like a hurricane! Its been a lot of work. Fortunately there have been a lot of mainly young people helping. Visitors have the option of sleeping in the crude camp houses. I chose to rent a more civilized cottage about 5 miles away. At least we have wifi and cell phone service here at the cottage! None at the camp!

Yesterday, I hung a lot of lights (similar to Christmas lights but with larger bulbs) all over the place. (This morning my feet hurt from standing on ladders for so long.) Helping me was a young woman who (among others) shares a house with my son. He now has my old Salk SongTowers that I've loved so much over the last 10 years. She is a musician who now also loves the Salks. She was extremely enthusiastic about them, full of questions about what/who is Salk and what do I know about them. So I was having a great time, hanging lights and talking about speakers :).

The wedding itself is this afternoon. It will be a welcome change from all the decoration work. On Sunday we take it all down :eek:.
Swerd, that's awesome. Congratulations on gaining a cool daughter! I wish my wife shared my passion for music and audio equipment. It sounds like you're having fun. :)

2channel lover

Congrats!

wow...good start with your new DIL!

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

My current system is about 4 years old, prior to that was a Technics SA-AX720 5.1 receiver I used 1997-2013

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I have my first integrated and speakers from 1982. I just gave the amp and another set of 80's speakers to my son. Put new foam on them about 6-7 yrs ago and new diaphragms on the tweeters and added some stiffeners to the cabinets. It never occurred to me that there was audio forums at the time, or I could be even more broke than I am now.

I keep things forever and outgrade more than upgrade. Everything I own I like for some reason or another. Is why I am more careful when I buy things for the most part.

I was born in the era of the long term appliance. I own a Maytag washer from 1965 that is still smooth as silk that I bought from an appliance salvage for $60 in around 1985. The market still charges long term appliance prices. I aim to either hold them to it, or buy from a time where it was still a thing.

Outside of HT, hi-fi has existed for decades. It's still possible to get as good performance from older stuff if need be.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Most of the gear in my living room is four-to five years old. Peace and goodwill.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis