How long have you owned your A/V equipment?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was really hoping @TLS Guy would see this post and give an opinion on some of the equipment.
There are a lot of turntables that look like TLS Guy might recognize them.
The speakers themselves I was also hoping he would offer an opinion.
If there's anybody that could give us a critique on them, it would be him. He's awesome.
Well Buck, the speakers were either home made or cam out of a cinema. There were a lot of custom speakers in cinemas then. Drivers were usually Altec or EV. I bet those speakers are efficient but I doubt quality of modern speakers. The HF horn looks particularly crude.

The turntables are an interesting collection.

The arms are practically all by SME and the series II improved generation, both 9 and 12 inch versions. If you want the best in tone arms, you begin and end with SME. Some of the arms have been gold plated! There is a high end Thorens turntable there. A lot of the turntables look like customized SME creations, which SME will do at a huge cost.

Ortofon moving coil cartridges are heavily represented including those from the 60s. I note Ortofon moving coil cartridges with shells made to fit SME arms. The shell contains the moving coil transducer and the step up transformers. We had one of those set ups on my father's rig for a while.

There are some cartridges I do not recognize.

Most are variations of this arm.

That is my SME series II improved arm on a Garrard 301 of the period.

I did not own one of these Ortofon moving coils.

That is my late father's Ortofon moving coil SL 15E circa 1968.

My farther was an Orofon enthusiast, I was in the Decca camp. In the late fifties and during the sixties if you wanted the best you were either Ortofon or Decca. Shure were still playing catch up then.

I have the most complete vintage Decca collection I am aware of. Folks at vinyl engine agree.

You can look through my collection here. It does not look as exotic but is not mucked about.

In this picture there is a picture of an Auriol lift. This was the earliest arm lift. Back then the cartridges were frail. The arms had no lifts. I made a lift out of the focus mechanism of a broken Swiss Bolex camera. I think I was more creative as a kid than as an adult. Any how after the Auriol, which are now very rare, lifts proliferated. You can also see the Decca lift in these pictures. The Decca professional arm had an integrated lift. I have restored two of the now very rare Auriol lifts.

As the lift is raised it sucks in air into a cylinder with a piston. The knob on top closes the valve and the arm stays up. The rate of decline of the arm is determined by how much you turn the knob anticlockwise. You can make the arm fall very slowly indeed, while you have time to start a tape machine for archiving. You can also see the Decca brush to clean the stylus.

Here is a piece of nostalgia. This picture shows the original early Decca arm. The weight is for LP or 78. You will see the Decca 78 head in the pictures. You can also see the old Quad II tube preamp used as the phono preamp for this vintage Decca exhibit. The white card shows the button combinations on the Quad for the different Equalization required for the different companies 78 RPM records.

The only item of which I was not the original owner is the Decca professional arm in use now and the Auriol lift which I obtained and restored, as it did not work, but does now.
The owners either put their rigs together, like I did this one, or had the installation done custom by bespoke dealers like Largs of Holborn.

I have searched the Net far and wide for pictures of those wonderful cabinets and installations by Largs and others, to no avail. I do have pictures of them in my original Hi-Fi Years books of the period, that I purchased at the time.

My turntable case is intentionally designed to evoke that era in a modern setting.

I just shudder to think what that Decca collection is worth. It still sounds very good indeed.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wanted to like your post too TLS. Only 1 at a time tho. I was looking forward to your impressions also.

I did notice that horn construction looked a little crude. The whole assembly looks kind of crude when compared to yours. It's just huge! I was more impressed with the museum quality turntables and other equipment in his room. Thanks for your .02!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Well Buck, the speakers were either home made or cam out of a cinema. There were a lot of custom speakers in cinemas then. Drivers were usually Altec or EV. I bet those speakers are effient but I doubt quality of modern speakers. The HF horn looks particularly crude.

The turntables are an interesting collection.

I appreciate your comments on the collection. You have the knowledge base to make observations the rest of us just can't regarding equipment like this. I read a couple of other posts on the site that has this collectors stuff on it and there is a single line reference to where the speakers originated: Hiroshima. The owner did some negotiations, apparently multiple, to purchase the speakers from an owner (could have been a cinema) in Hiroshima. That single line item, if true, makes them even more unique from a historical perspective.

The turntable collection is just plain awesome. I'm not a collector or turntable enthusiast, but I can appreciate a good collection. And apparently they all work according to the reviewer. Apparently some of the high end tables can have up to 3 tone arms installed at once. I have seen that in photos but never understood it gives the user the choice of which tone arm/cartridge combo to use. I learn something every day.

Keep up the good work. If you get out and travel, the owner lives in St George, Utah. That's just north of the Arizona (where I live) Utah border. Small town. Apparently he grants listening tours. You have the chops to appreciate what he has.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I appreciate your comments on the collection. You have the knowledge base to make observations the rest of us just can't regarding equipment like this. I read a couple of other posts on the site that has this collectors stuff on it and there is a single line reference to where the speakers originated: Hiroshima. The owner did some negotiations, apparently multiple, to purchase the speakers from an owner (could have been a cinema) in Hiroshima. That single line item, if true, makes them even more unique from a historical perspective.

The turntable collection is just plain awesome. I'm not a collector or turntable enthusiast, but I can appreciate a good collection. And apparently they all work according to the reviewer. Apparently some of the high end tables can have up to 3 tone arms installed at once. I have seen that in photos but never understood it gives the user the choice of which tone arm/cartridge combo to use. I learn something every day.

Keep up the good work. If you get out and travel, the owner lives in St George, Utah. That's just north of the Arizona (where I live) Utah border. Small town. Apparently he grants listening tours. You have the chops to appreciate what he has.
As usual, you have a way of putting things more eloquently than I do. I can tell from your first post of this guy's equipment you do a lot of what I do. Scour the internet looking for unusual or very high end setups. It always fun to dream.

What TLS and that guy have in common is a lifelong collection of equipment that has been meticulously restored and/or cared for. I look at them and think, "I would have had to start planning that in my teens, really committed to it and I'd probably be a little over half way there...". Both collections are examples of passion and hard work. I still click TLS' smug mug every once in a while just to look at the pretty pictures and marvel at the blending of technology.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I can't even imagine the amount of OCD that would enable, just with evolving/maintaining the collection, or the hobby at that level.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I can't even imagine the amount of OCD that would enable, just with evolving/maintaining the collection, or the hobby at that level.
I have a touch of OCD, not bad but a touch. I have a couple of adult daughters that have it pretty bad. One of my daughters is the type that going in to someone's home and seeing a crooked picture on the wall will go over and set it straight. I've seen her do it.

You are correct: the collectors drive has a bit of OCD in it for sure. I will wager his equipment is all square with whatever it needs to line up with and everything and every object has a place and the object is always in its place. A collection like that would own many OCD folks rather than the obverse.

I started a collection of slide rules years ago. I still have it but it started to own my office and I had to back off. Who has a collection of slide rules? I do and apparently so do lots of others given how much the dang things cost now. I can appreciate collectors and collections, but no matter what they would start to own me so I resist the temptation. So far. AH doesn't help by the way. :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Complete overhaul of a 20+ yr old system. Most of my gear now is roughly 7-9 mos old. The B&W Speakers I bought in early '97...20yrs

The B&Ws are being handed down to my son in a few months...after the new speakers are delivered.

I don't expect to update any of it until it no longer works.

I'm only mid 50s and pretty healthy so I don't mind doing the stairs up to the loft...if at some point that changes, I can see building a small 2 ch book shelf/sub system in the spare room on the main.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Complete overhaul of a 20+ yr old system. Most of my gear now is roughly 7-9 mos old. The B&W Speakers I bought in early '97...20yrs

The B&Ws are being handed down to my son in a few months...after the new speakers are delivered.

I don't expect to update any of it until it no longer works.

I'm only mid 50s and pretty healthy so I don't mind doing the stairs up to the loft...if at some point that changes, I can see building a small 2 ch book shelf/sub system in the spare room on the main.
From your perspective I'll bet those Salks are taking ffffooooorrrreeeevvveerrr... :p

2channel lover

From your perspective I'll bet those Salks are taking ffffooooorrrreeeevvveerrr... :p
Watching Buck's order process was good preparation at least up until now...not that I'm counting or anything, but it's been 15 weeks yesterday at 3:30p....lol.

My project is about to go into cabinet finishing which is 5 or 6 steps, then the drivers are put in, tested, and packed and shipped pretty much. Hopefully about 6 to 8 weeks away.

Really sounds like it was a banner year for Salk Sound.

I know the last week will take a month of Sundays!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Watching Buck's order process was good preparation at least up until now...not that I'm counting or anything, but it's been 15 weeks yesterday at 3:30p....lol.

My project is about to go into cabinet finishing which is 5 or 6 steps, then the drivers are put in, tested, and packed and shipped pretty much. Hopefully about 6 to 8 weeks away.

Really sounds like it was a banner year for Salk Sound.

I know the last week will take a month of Sundays!
2channel lover:
All I can say (that's encouraging) is what Swerd told me throughout the Salk build process: it will be worth it when they arrive. I can say with some enthusiasm that I haven't thought one moment about how long it took to get them once they arrived and started playing. The speakers themselves and the sound they make wash away all the tears of frustration in waiting.

I used the website build process tool a lot. What I learned is that they don't always update the build process as they complete steps. That makes it look like your stuff is just sitting there. That's not always true.

Looking at the build quality and the finish quality, whatever time they take they take it with purpose. The finish quality is impeccable.

What veneer and color choice did you choose? (its the standard question every new owner gets asked).
Salk veneer and color choices is "a thing" I guess.

2channel lover

2channel lover:
All I can say (that's encouraging) is what Swerd told me throughout the Salk build process: it will be worth it when they arrive. I can say with some enthusiasm that I haven't thought one moment about how long it took to get them once they arrived and started playing. The speakers themselves and the sound they make wash away all the tears of frustration in waiting.

I used the website build process tool a lot. What I learned is that they don't always update the build process as they complete steps. That makes it look like your stuff is just sitting there. That's not always true.

Looking at the build quality and the finish quality, whatever time they take they take it with purpose. The finish quality is impeccable.

What veneer and color choice did you choose? (its the standard question every new owner gets asked).
Thanks!

Ya know...I've been pretty busy most of the summer...as I was telling Pogre...I play golf so between practice and playing in the summer that occupied a great deal of time. Like I said also watching yours play out especially at the end helped stem my expectations a little so from order date to now hasn't been that bad actually.

I ordered the Song3-A with Song Supercharged Ctr.

Natural Curly Cherry....standard finish.

I've read where a lot of guys really agonized over the veneer and finish...I'm kinda plain I guess, but my B&Ws are natural cherry and I love how they aged over the yrs so it was easy to stay with it.

Yeah I kind of figured the progress report could have some lag time. From watching a few other guys order process. One guy said his went from 59% to shipping in like 2 weeks so there's a very good chance he was further along than 59%.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
2channel lover:

I can bear witness to this. I've seen and heard Buck's speakers. They're gorgeous and one of the best sounding speakers I've ever listened to. The wait really is worth it. Like Buck said, you can tell the time was used with purpose.

Can't wait to get your impressions 2CL. It's a good thing you have those beautiful B&W's to hold you over! Those are very nice speakers themselves. .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
As usual, you have a way of putting things more eloquently than I do. I can tell from your first post of this guy's equipment you do a lot of what I do. Scour the internet looking for unusual or very high end setups. It always fun to dream.

What TLS and that guy have in common is a lifelong collection of equipment that has been meticulously restored and/or cared for. I look at them and think, "I would have had to start planning that in my teens, really committed to it and I'd probably be a little over half way there...". Both collections are examples of passion and hard work. I still click TLS' smug mug every once in a while just to look at the pretty pictures and marvel at the blending of technology.
Thank you Buck and Pogre for your comments.

The fact is that I was smitten with audio when I was about 4 and had my first gramophone. An acoustic wind up. The Spring eventually broke and then I got serious. The sound of the pre war HMV radiogram I aquired did not please me, nor the open backed 12" Goodmans speaker I connected to it. So I built a Voight quarter wave pipe for an 8" WB stentorian speaker with cloth cone and surround a friend of the family gave me. That was age 7 Not a good speaker, so I saved my money for a Goodmans Axiette.

I did not know it at the time, but the designer was Ted Jordan. With one of those speakers (There was no stereo then) things really looked up and the rest is history.

So yes, I have kept the gear that is any good. So I have been acquiring gear for about 63 years now. Collecting was not really the intent. I just don't like jettisoning good gear that performs well and I have a purpose for.

The turntables sound excellent with no allowances for being vintage. Turntables actually require little maintenance if carefully handled. You need to be OCD with record care though. Almost all my LPs are very silent.

The big maintenance problem is tape recorders. They are another story all together.

As for that guys speakers, I bet they play loud and have a certain retro cinema sound. I doubt they are known for fidelity.

My speakers on the other hand are faithful reproducers. As a visiting engineer said a couple of weeks or so ago, "Those speaker don't lie".

It gives me great pleasure to see engineers touching up a production here.

Talking of which I need to get off here as Death Star II is eminently forming from the primordial mass! Translation I need to do some proper work.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve actually had most of my stuff for less than a year. Prior to that I had an extremely simple 4.1 setup consisting of an HTiB onkyo receiver, a single set of Klipsch icon KB-15s, and the onkyo sub/speakers for surrounds. I used that setup for almost 3 years. I’m pretty satisfied with my setup I have now, about the only upgrade I may make in the future is a second/better sub and an 11.2 channel receiver to add rear surrounds and a second set of height speakers, though outside of the second sub, the rest of it is diminishing returns for quite a bit more money, so that’s likely going to have to wait a long time since I can’t justify the funds at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2channel lover

I can bear witness to this. I've seen and heard Buck's speakers. They're gorgeous and one of the best sounding speakers I've ever listened to. The wait really is worth it. Like Buck said, you can tell the time was used with purpose.

Can't wait to get your impressions 2CL. It's a good thing you have those beautiful B&W's to hold you over! Those are very nice speakers themselves. .
Back in the day the 804m was noted for the kevlar mid and iconic separated metal tweeter...really good detail for vocals, and instruments like acoustic guitar. They eat that up...and can hold their own with really complex works like classical. I've heard the term B&Ws have a "warm" sound...after 20 yrs...warm is the norm for me...lol.

Hearing the Monitor Audio Gold 300 and the Revel F208...both had more pronounced low end, but also seem to have a more "airy" sound that I felt was cleaner than my B&Ws.

The Salk Towers started it all...according to Jim that speaker hit high marks everywhere he took it and the price point made it a commercial success...the Song3 is really strong right now, but the Song Tower is still one of the best sellers.

I'm eager to hear the Accuton mid and RAAL tweeter combination in the 3-A....Jim really seem to like the combination, and said since you already have the HSU subs...I would prefer this one over the Encore. All 3 drivers are well regarded in the DIY circles. Add in Murphy's magic tying the drivers together with Jim's incredible cabinet design and fine furniture grade finishing...I was willing to wait.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Before my current setup I ran with a pair of B&W DM560 speakers up front, Promonitor 1000's for surrounds and a Yamaha receiver (which I recently donated to a friend) for almost 20 years. I was never really satisfied with the sound I was getting. When I added a cheap sub to the mix I got a taste of things to come and completely re-did my setup starting about a year ago.

No regrets. I didn't waste a lot of money finding what I wanted and I couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks AH!

*Edit: Incidentally, that system was my first experience upgrading to a "better" receiver. A Denon AVR1910, which got me into the digital realm. I was completely underwhelmed and shocked that I couldn't detect any difference in sq. This was when I thought more power meant better sq. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Before my current setup I ran with a pair of B&W DM560 speakers up front, Promonitor 1000's for surrounds and a Yamaha receiver (which I recently donated to a friend) for almost 20 years. I was never really satisfied with the sound I was getting. When I added a cheap sub to the mix I got a taste of things to come and completely re-did my setup starting about a year ago.

No regrets. I didn't waste a lot of money finding what I wanted and I couldn't be happier with the results. Thanks AH!

*Edit: Incidentally, that system was my first experience upgrading to a "better" receiver. A Denon AVR1910, which got me into the digital realm. I was completely underwhelmed and shocked that I couldn't detect any difference in sq. This was when I thought more power meant better sq. Lesson learned.
Oh...so we're pretty much following the same path...AV system redo after 20 yrs..

My exposure with B&W was initially with the 800 series. I'm heard some of the newer 600 series, never a 500 series...imo they really shine in the 800 series and the new D3 line of speakers are great but the cost has gotten way out of line...

The replacement for my speakers, the 804D3 is like $9k a pair now...and they still need a sub to really get the best sound. The big brother 803d3 can hold it's own w/o a sub, but it's $17k!!...I have a nice used car that I didn't pay $17k for.

The Salks are coming in a little more than half the cost of a pair 804d3s...and that includes a center channel!

Thanks to AH, other research, and some good timing. I was able to build this system under my budget and I get everything I wanted and more quite frankly...it's been fun.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh...so we're pretty much following the same path...AV system redo after 20 yrs..

My exposure with B&W was initially with the 800 series. I'm heard some of the newer 600 series, never a 500 series...imo they really shine in the 800 series and the new D3 line of speakers are great but the cost has gotten way out of line...

The replacement for my speakers, the 804D3 is like $9k a pair now...and they still need a sub to really get the best sound. The big brother 803d3 can hold it's own w/o a sub, but it's $17k!!...I have a nice used car that I didn't pay $17k for.

The Salks are coming in a little more than half the cost of a pair 804d3s...and that includes a center channel!

Thanks to AH, other research, and some good timing. I was able to build this system under my budget and I get everything I wanted and more quite frankly...it's been fun.
The 500 series is a whole different animal. I'm pretty sure at the time it was their entry level for B&W speakers. I think I picked them up for $400 (used) at a hifi place, which is closed now. :(

I'm almost positive your 804D3's would blow away the 500 series.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai

It's friday and I haven't said how awesome the Salk Songtowers are in at least a couple of days. And if I have said it, I know I haven't said it today. At least not twice.

The Salks are awesome. I don't care if that makes me a Salk fan-boy. They simply make great sound.
I'm going to go and spend some time in the new pool and then sit and relax with some tunes.
Some tunes that sound ever so much better than they used to because of some great advice on speakers from the AH folks. Have a great weekend. Hopefully your weekend has nothing to do with hurricanes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis