Funk Audio Line Array

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
Eerily sounds like we're not buying the Blu-rays ;P
Blurays hmm.... I haven't made you a video of the Line Arrays yet in operation.

If it makes you guys happy I will do it ;) And an official review.

And I think you guys should help me poke Nathan to send me more videos of his other builds and I shall make more videos for you!
In bluray ;)
ADTG I know you want it :D

Or even a thread called "Funk Audio Poll for more Videos" :cool:

Still haven't decided on the music I want to use. I will got back to my theater room now to find a song
I don't know when I'm going to come back though. :p

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
Here Enjoy!

[video=youtube;1P6d7OBeq58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P6d7OBeq58[/video]

This things look sweet as hell. Next time I'm in BC, you gotta let me come over and audition them! :(

Got any measurements for us?
Almost forgot about you!

Here you go :)
This is ONE Speaker in room (Nathan's Room), not a pair, 15 Degrees off axis w/ EQ (No Sub)

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting plots. A couple of questions:

1. What smoothing factor did you use? That frequency response curve is exceptionally good.

2. Distortion below 80Hz is surprisingly high. How did you perform the measurements? Where was the mic?

I wish my room had a dip like that between 50-60Hz. I've got the nastiest room mode in that range that causes a 10db spike, pretty much no matter where I place the sub. Only PEQ tames it, and not completely.

Last edited:
c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
Interesting plots. A couple of questions:

1. What smoothing factor did you use? That frequency response curve is exceptionally good.

2. Distortion below 80Hz is surprisingly high. How did you do perform the measurements? Where was the mic?

I wish my room had a dip like that between 50-60Hz. I've got the nastiest room mode in that range that causes a 10db spike, pretty much no matter where I place the sub. Only PEQ tames it, and not completely.
In my current environment, They are crossed over at 100hz with the Arrays set to "Small" They would be performing well within their limits.
With the sub, the distortion should be nearly non-existent ;) At least from our ears

Graphs are either 1/6 octave in Nathan's room. It's a larger room than mine. Sorry, I should of mentioned that earlier. (Post is now corrected)
With Subs, It should be the system is quite complete. I haven't managed to grab the charts of Nathan yet, I did see him checking into the FR with the sub.

Below is the 18.2 that I am using, 2M Ground Plane (Not in my environment) Distortion is about -40dB down in the most critical bass areas.

Red: 2nd Harmonic
Pink: 3rd Harmonic
Green: 4th Harmonic
Teal: 5th Harmonic
Blue: 2nd to 5th Harmonic

Hopefully this gives you a general idea were it is going to be around :)

Last edited:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
In my current environment, They are crossed over at 100hz with the Arrays set to "Small" They would be performing well within their limits.
With the sub, the distortion should be nearly non-existent ;) At least from our ears

Graphs are either unsmoothed or 1/12 octave in Nathan's room. It's a larger room than mine. Sorry, I should of mentioned that earlier. (Post is now corrected)
With Subs, It should be the system is quite complete. I haven't managed to grab the charts of Nathan yet, I did see him checking into the FR with the sub.

Below is the 18.2 that I am using, 2M Ground Plane (Not in my environment) Distortion is about -40dB down in the most critical bass areas.

Red: 2nd Harmonic
Pink: 3rd Harmonic
Green: 4th Harmonic
Teal: 5th Harmonic
Blue: 2nd to 5th Harmonic

Hopefully this gives you a general idea were it is going to be around :)
Agreed that the sub, especially that sub, will solve any bass issues. I'm just surprised that the line array has that much distortion, considering the modest 85db level and all of that cone area. I wonder if it was a room artifact?

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed that the sub, especially that sub, will solve any bass issues. I'm just surprised that the line array has that much distortion, considering the modest 85db level and all of that cone area. I wonder if it was a room artifact?
O believe these are high sensitivity drivers, and i'm gonna guess their surrounds are simply not optimized for much excursion at all. The advantage of that tends to be that you improve the ~750hz range where most midbasses will have a surround resonance. Just guessing here.

Now add to that the likelyhood of other low level noise in the 40hz -200hz region (HVAC, cars on the highway, washing machines, fridge hum, etc) being picked up by the mic.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Now add to that the likelihood of other low level noise in the 40hz -200hz region (HVAC, cars on the highway, washing machines, fridge hum, etc) being picked up by the mic.
Exactly; that's what I found in my experiments with OmniMic, but at one meter with a short window I have measured bass distortion in the -45db range with higher sound levels than 85db. I've found that bass distortion measurements at my listening seat are dominated by the room, and even things shaking and rattling. Hence my question. I hear you about the drivers, but I still suspect the distortion measurements are anomalous.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Here Enjoy!

[video=youtube;1P6d7OBeq58]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P6d7OBeq58[/video]

Almost forgot about you!

Here you go :)
This is ONE Speaker in room (Nathan's Room), not a pair, 15 Degrees off axis w/ EQ (No Sub)
This is in a very large room, around 7000 cubic feet, at that speaker location has basically no room gain. And even though the distortion is much higher in the bass region it's still only around 10 percent. At about 4 meters I would not consider 85 db modest. I could not do that level sweep without ear protection. It still had a lot left in it and that was only one speaker. It was 1/6 smoothed.

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Besides these were not designed to produce bass, they were intended for use with sub woofers from the start. This was more an experiment to see what they could do. There was a lot of low end boost applied. And I must say they did quite well.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Besides these were not designed to produce bass, they were intended for use with sub woofers from the start. This was more an experiment to see what they could do. There was a lot of low end boost applied. And I must say they did quite well.
And there's my answer, which makes perfect sense. Thanks. I think these speakers are very interesting. (Perhaps a little too interesting for my own good.)

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
And there's my answer, which makes perfect sense. Thanks. I think these speakers are very interesting. (Perhaps a little too interesting for my own good.)

It's just better if you forget about them.

The only thing that will happen if you keep thinking about them is a request for purchase. :rolleyes:

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
It's just better if you forget about them.

The only thing that will happen if you keep thinking about them is a request for purchase. :rolleyes:
Fortunately I'd have to hear them first, and I'm near Half Moon Bay, not Halfmoon Bay.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Fortunately I'd have to hear them first, and I'm near Half Moon Bay, not Halfmoon Bay.
Simplest way to try them out is ask Nathan for an audition of the 6.1 speakers.

The line arrays just sound twelve times better!

Last edited by a moderator:
Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Simplest way to try them out is ask Nathan for an audition of the 6.1 speakers.

The line arrays just sound twelve times better!
Heh, heh, well, I would think a person would want to verify that 12x claim before shelling out $14,000, and probably another $6,500 for a pair of matching subs. If my thinking about it gets to the $20K level of silliness, I'll make the trek to see if Halfmoon Bay is any better looking than Half Moon Bay. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since the speakers have built-in amps, do you keep the amps turned on all the time or do you power them off when not listening to the speakers?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Since the speakers have built-in amps, do you keep the amps turned on all the time or do you power them off when not listening to the speakers?

Sneaky little setting that turns the amplifiers on with a signal. And off without a signal.

A good power saving feature to an already very low power usage amplifier suite.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sneaky little setting that turns the amplifiers on with a signal. And off without a signal.

A good power saving feature to an already very low power usage amplifier suite.
Auto power on/off like the subwoofer? That's what I figured.

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure a formal review is in the works. :D

Will this room be 2.1 or will you be getting a center + surrounds?

This things look sweet as hell. Next time I'm in BC, you gotta let me come over and audition them! :(

Got any measurements for us?
Hey Acu & GranteedEV!

A formal review is ready... Enjoy!
Your measurements are also on the thread GranteedEV :)
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/funk-audio-line-array-18-2-subwoofer-–-review.92495/#post-1058131

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis