Funk Audio Line Array

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm sure a formal review is in the works. :D

Will this room be 2.1 or will you be getting a center + surrounds?

F

funky waves

Junior Audioholic
Steve. When we turned up that one drum track I forgot to tell you we were hitting peaks of 130 db at the listening position, I'll let you tell everyone how far away that is from the speakers. And they do image amazingly well with a sense of depth to the soundstage better than anything I have ever heard, mine or not.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Hoooly cow!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's an understatement :p

Steve. When we turned up that one drum track I forgot to tell you we were hitting peaks of 130 db at the listening position, I'll let you tell everyone how far away that is from the speakers. And they do image amazingly well with a sense of depth to the soundstage better than anything I have ever heard, mine or not.
I guess it's the danger with speakers like this...... they're soooo clean, free from all grit and nasty artifacts.... that you end up listening significantly louder than with 'normal' speakers
Sometimes maybe even way too loud :eek:

The speakers never say stop, until your ears and brain overload.... am I right?

:D
5.4 yes :)))))
Nathan is ready to make 3 more of these, LOL :p

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How can you mix this with bookshelf speakers..... it's not gonna work...
I think it would work just fine. Perhaps theoretically not as "perfect" as 5 identical speakers. But I think fine enough.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Actually I was thinking more of the Funk 6.1P bookshelf x 3. :D

Actually that would work very well.

Same drivers in a different configuration.

So same sonic footprint, or tonality.

I can't imagine something that would match any better actually.

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure a formal review is in the works. :D

Sure I'll do a review. Just not yet. Life is a bit busy and didn't have a wink of sleep the night before. Was simply rolling around all night!

I'll try to get back to the rest of you guys in a bit ;)

Last edited:
c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
How stable are the Line Arrays on carpet?
Very Stable actually. The spikes seem to be touching solid concrete. It will take a bit more force to push these one over at the same height compared to a normal floor stander.

I think it would work just fine. Perhaps theoretically not as "perfect" as 5 identical speakers. But I think fine enough.
ADTG, I have talked to Nathan before about surrounds, My idea was 5 more Funk Line arrays… Budget does not allow though. :( You are more than welcome to fund my hobby though! :D The imaging for them without the center is so good though that another center that maybe any less than the LA may “ruin” it.

Actually I was thinking more of the Funk 6.1P bookshelf x 3. :D
You are giving me ideas that I like, better in 1 enclosure though ;). Trying to imagine that..hmm

Actually that would work very well.

Same drivers in a different configuration.

So same sonic footprint, or tonality.

I can't imagine something that would match any better actually.
Different configuration? I would like to know :D I was sort of thinking 8.2P as an acceptable surround. I still like the idea of having 1 seat and a full set of Line Arrays.

The distance from the Line Arrays to my head(listening position) is about 15’-2”. The Mic is at about the same location as well. Other family members thought the sound from the Line Arrays are very even throughout the room. The subwoofer is located about 10’ away.

The Pre/Pro goes up to a Max Volume of "100" and a Min of "0" At 60ish things were pretty loud and +/- a few is about the max we tried. If settings were around 70 I assume things would get fairly scary.

Also note: Nathan likes turning the volume up and shake things around a little bit. :D

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Different configuration? I would like to know :D I was sort of thinking 8.2P as an acceptable surround. I still like the idea of having 1 seat and a full set of Line Arrays.
An MTM is not the correct type of horizontal or vertical dispersion characteristic for a proper center channel.

Either vertically or horizontally.

And yes I know there are a gazillion speakers sold that way. And many, many are compromised designs.

We have two in the works.

An architectural two way very wideband fully horn loaded system and a more conventional pretty cabinet version.

Last edited by a moderator:
GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
This things look sweet as hell. Next time I'm in BC, you gotta let me come over and audition them! :(

Got any measurements for us?

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
An MTM is not the correct type of horizontal or vertical dispersion characteristic for a proper center channel.

And yes I know there are a gazillion speakers sold that way. And many, many are compromised designs.

An architectural two way very wideband fully horn loaded system and a more conventional pretty cabinet version.
I was actually thinking just as surrounds, Not center for MTMs. For a center, I am not even sure if having a center would even help because of the current imaging capability. But then I can't really say since I do not know of a center that will keep up and unfortunately I do not have an acoustically transparent screen nor can I fit one. I think a horizontal Line Array the same length tilted up a bit to the listener would look "cool" and "should" sound awesome. I am no so sure about the point when your off axis though horizontally :D

As for the Architectural 2-Way, 6.1P Floorstanding Extreme Edition? :D

c2k

c2k

Junior Audioholic
This things look sweet as hell. Next time I'm in BC, you gotta let me come over and audition them! :(

Got any measurements for us?
I think Nathan may have measurements and was just watching some of his graphs in real time.
I have no problem getting an audition in for you since I've seen you around Audioholics for the last couple years ;)

Just fire me a PM in advance. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
For a center, I am not even sure if having a center would even help because of the current imaging capability.
I don't think it's about the imaging capability. Imaging can only do so much. Some soundtracks are mixed better than others. So the phantom center effect will sound better on some, but not as good on others. But all these discrete 5.1 movies have discrete center channel dialogue. It's mainly just for the voices/dialogue.

I've been doing 2Ch for the past 3 months with the Linkwitz Orion while waiting for my new RBH speakers. I can see that on some movies, the dialogue sounds really good. But on some others, the dialogue doesn't sound quite as good compared to a discrete center channel.

So I would go with a discrete center channel every time. I think something like the 6.1P or single horizontal line array would be great.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
McIntosh has been producing line arrays for years, and I've heard them a couple of times, though not the most recent versions, and I've never been very impressed overall. Supposedly the latest ones are a substantial improvement (according to my local dealer), but the list pricing is still outrageous ($100K for the top of the line). The Funk offering looks far more interesting. The only attraction I found with the big McIntoshes was the soundstage "presentation", if I may call it that, reminded me of a large electrostatic, sounding more natural on some recordings than point-source speakers seem to. Though on other types of recordings it was the opposite, making me wonder if the electrostatics and line sources have an imaging "coloration", or whether conventional speakers do.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Funk is in BC?

Are you guys familiar with Whistler BC?

Dang, I love that place! My wallpaper on my work computer is of a rental bike on the trails with lost lake in the background.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis