Dual Opposed Mach 5 Audio FTW Build

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Basically I'm not going to be happy until I have 2 rotary subs to fill in 1-30Hz, 10-24" drivers to fill in 30-120Hz and a pair of Maximus 12 LXE's to handle the rest. BUT, I can continue to try :D
I think you'll need TLs to be truly happy.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Basically I'm not going to be happy until I have 2 rotary subs to fill in 1-30Hz, 10-24" drivers to fill in 30-120Hz and a pair of Maximus 12 LXE's to handle the rest. BUT, I can continue to try :D
That's why you set performance goals as opposed to "crap I want but will never be able to afford" goals. Still, I'd love to see the look on your GFs face if you tell her you're saving up for a rotary sub, and that the ring will have to wait :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's why you set performance goals as opposed to "crap I want but will never be able to afford" goals. Still, I'd love to see the look on your GFs face if you tell her you're saving up for a rotary sub, and that the ring will have to wait :p
Technically those are performance goals ;). Extension down to 2-3Hz at 100+db with distortion below 10% from 2-150Hz. Preferably below 5% across that range.

Technically he's already got TLs. What he needs is an intervention.
The Phil's are great and while they may not deliver extension to quite what Dr. Mark's do, they're more than adequate for me to get an idea of what larger TL's could do.

If by intervention you mean more subs, then yes I need an intervention :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Extension down to 2-3Hz at 100+db with distortion below 10% from 2-150Hz. Preferably below 5% across that range.
How does your rig stack up in room these days?

If by intervention you mean more subs, then yes I need an intervention :D
The Intervention would make an interesting name for a 32" driver....

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
How does your rig stack up in room these days?
I can hit about 110-120db subs only from 30Hz to 200Hz without breaking a sweat. Below that and I'm wall limited to about 100-105db from 15-30hz using the CEA bursts. I haven't tried under 15hz with the CEA burst in the new place, but I'd guess I'm between 90-95db from 10-15Hz.

Besides wall limitations, the next issue I run into is distortion. I haven't close mic'ed in awhile, but from the LP distortion measured around 20% at 10hz with an 85db (at least I think it was 85) measurement sweep. Now I think distortion is actually lower due to things shaking and rattling, but still. It's a bit high compared to the goal.

The Intervention would make an interesting name for a 32" driver....
I'll have to run it by Mark at Mach 5 for his 32" driver.

Here's a shot of the 32" cone and below that is the spider for the 32" driver sitting on the cone of an FTW.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I can hit about 110-120db subs only from 30Hz to 200Hz without breaking a sweat. Below that and I'm wall limited to about 100-105db from 15-30hz using the CEA bursts. I haven't tried under 15hz with the CEA burst in the new place, but I'd guess I'm between 90-95db from 10-15Hz.
That's a little sad for the kind of hardware you've got. A single properly powered LMS Ultra in an appropriate cab can pull off those numbers outdoors, let alone with a little help from cabin gain... You're running everything off a single 15A circuit, aren't you??? :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's a little sad for the kind of hardware you've got. A single properly powered LMS Ultra in an appropriate cab can pull off those numbers outdoors, let alone with a little help from cabin gain... You're running everything off a single 15A circuit, aren't you??? :p
Yup, although I might retest tomorrow. I did that with a REW SPL calibration but I trust the galaxy meter more.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
@Steve81 I went to do a new test today and remembered why I couldn't get past 108 or so db when testing out the subs. Running through the Marantz limits the max output. If I turn the gain wayy up it limits how high I can go on the volume. I would need to drive the amps directly and that ain't gonna happen. So in short, I have no idea what I can get out of the subs in the current setup and space. All I know for sure is that subs only I can hit somewhere over 100db subs only with movie clips before I run out of juice from the wall.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Well that's a downer. I guess with their added efficiency, the 21s might get you another dB or two. Add another set, and you might be able to match up with the Funk 18 in my room :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well that's a downer. I guess with their added efficiency, the 21s might get you another dB or two. Add another set, and you might be able to match up with the Funk 18 in my room :p
That's just with me trying to push sound via REW. With actual movie content they get louder than I could go trying to run the CEA bursts at least without driving the amps directly. Bought some RCA to 1/4 adapters though so I should be able to run a proper test next weekend where I drive the amps directly from the calibrated sound card.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Your neighbors must dream of a special place in hell for you.:eek::cool:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I figured out how Walter gets away with it. He buys his neighbors off. YAA, I fear he may have resorted to an exchange a tad more personal in nature. Youth lends itself to that level of slut-baggery.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
That's just with me trying to push sound via REW. With actual movie content they get louder than I could go trying to run the CEA bursts at least without driving the amps directly. Bought some RCA to 1/4 adapters though so I should be able to run a proper test next weekend where I drive the amps directly from the calibrated sound card.
What amps are you using on the subs now?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Your neighbors must dream of a special place in hell for you.:eek::cool:
I'm not 100% sure the people directly next door are even alive. As for everyone else, sound isolation is surprisingly good, although that that doesn't account for their homes shaking. :D

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Have you thought at all about a SpeakerPower rack amp for your setup? As I see it...

1. They're relatively efficient, even for a Class D (90+%), so you might net a little more power given your wall limitations.

2. Each channel is stable for 2 ohm operation, so you could wire up Ch 1 as your 21" DO setup, and Ch 2 for your LMS and UXL drivers accordingly. Since you'd only be running interconnects to a single amp, this might improve available voltage on the preamp side to avoid clipping that output.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Have you thought at all about a SpeakerPower rack amp for your setup? As I see it...

1. They're relatively efficient, even for a Class D (90+%), so you might net a little more power given your wall limitations.

2. Each channel is stable for 2 ohm operation, so you could wire up Ch 1 as your 21" DO setup, and Ch 2 for your LMS and UXL drivers accordingly. Since you'd only be running interconnects to a single amp, this might improve available voltage on the preamp side to avoid clipping that output.
Probably wouldn't do speakerpower. I'd do BossoBass' A14K before I did speaker power and I'd order a Sanway before the A14K. If I ever manage to sell the Peavey, I'll have the Sanway ordered the next day.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Powerful amps for a lot less cash, no doubt. But the SP's will get you more actual power (~2dB) if you can't get some additional lines.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis