Dual Opposed Mach 5 Audio FTW Build

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Tacomas look funny with 4x8 sheets. Even my 6.5' F150 bed is sh!t for that.

I suppose it would depend on my mood but in your place I might have found myself making the HD dude keep cutting pieces until he handed me undamaged material ... but that was me with good knees. Bullying is way more fun than bluffing. :D

Near as I can tell this is the grandest sub build around here ever. I wasn't kidding about running a 30 amp line. Rick will know how. Invite him down when it's done. Now I'm thinking about how I would do that here. Clean electricity is 80, no, 90 percent of the sound. :D
Very true, still easier than the back of a CRV I would guess.

I had thought about it and how he was creating more work for me since now I have to trim 3 edges instead of 1 on almost every sheet, but whatever. The longer it takes me to cut, the less time I have to spend money on finishing the build, which will delight the missus since she already got on my case about the whole no ring thing. Sheesh, it's like she wants me to prioritize her over my HT. :eek:

I dunno about grandest, but it might be the biggest. I'll have to take a look at the panel and see what's what. I looked awhile ago, but thought all the slots were taken up. Maybe I can unplug the dryer. Who needs a dryer anyways?

R

roadrune

Audioholic
That's what you get With a roof angled like that :D

I'm not excatly doing 150 With it on the roof either :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Only got 4 sheets cut today and it's supposed to thunderstorm tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some more done before the rain starts.

For reference, those shorter sheets are the internal braces and that sub is about 11.5" tall.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Got the rest of the pieces cut today with minimal screwups. Next up for an unknown date is the circles for the baffles and braces. Then assembly.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Baffle circles cut, braces finished and rounded over. Not sure I'll use all 4, but they're there if needed.

Assembly started, BD for scale.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Somehow I really bungled something up. One of my L/R panels ended up with about 1/4" overhand over the top/bottom panel. I'm not sure if my measurements were off or the braces were cut just a little too wide. In any case I'll torn between making up the difference in bondo the top and bottom or just planing the whole side down. I'm a little hesitant to plane it since it is MDF so I may just try my luck with Bondo and sanding.

Whatever, something new learned. Also, 2 panels and 4 braces later and I can barely lift this thing. Good thing I got those castors.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like you subscribe to the same philosophy of carpentry as I do: "Measure once, cut twice." It's served me well thus far! :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Sounds like you subscribe to the same philosophy of carpentry as I do: "Measure once, cut twice." It's served me well thus far! :)
Just makes the build more fun and keeps me occupied a bit longer. :D. I need it since this will probably be the last project for awhile.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Figured it would be easier to fix all the edges prior to installing the baffles. Only problem is that it's too iffy with rain today to take it outside to trim any edges.

Sub is officially too heavy for me to lift on my own. Estimated weight ~150-200lbs.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
My goodness! Please tell me you cut dado's, at least, for each of the internal braces! The violent excursions of those big woofers would be rather taxing for a glue-only joint...

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
My goodness! Please tell me you cut dado's, at least, for each of the internal braces! The violent excursions of those big woofers would be rather taxing for a glue-only joint...
Nope, never had any problems before. No reason why they should start now. If I had my table saw I might do dados but I don't so I didn't bother.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis