Dual Opposed Mach 5 Audio FTW Build

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I've got both my drivers in. 21" each, figured I'd do another dual opposed build to save some space. Drivers occupy about 11.3 liters and figure about 56.6 liters for bracing. Total box volume will be somewhere around 390.77 liters (13.8 cuft).

Internal Dimensions (cm)
68.58W x 76.2H x 75L

External Dimensions (cm)
72.39 x 80.01 x 82.62

Based on my experience with the other build and the triple thick baffle, I'm only going to do double thick and use the extra wood for more bracing. However, I may surface mount the drivers to make sure there is enough material to bite into for such a large driver. I'll update with the model later. Currently dealing with finding a way to make the long cuts I need to. I'll have to go home one weekend and steal my table saw from my old man.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Threaded inserts for the fasteners. When can I move in? Your girl must be like sooooo close to the door. :D

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Build the port slots to fit the fork lift

And if she throws you out, you can live in it.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So I think this all makes sense. Looks like I'm going to need 12 rectangles.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I still say you'd be better off building single boxes and stacking them where you have the LMS cabs now. Could even pop the LMS' back into their old DO enclosure (if you still have it), and stack that with the UXLs.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm surprised you aren't just doing IBs at this point.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I still say you'd be better off building single boxes and stacking them where you have the LMS cabs now. Could even pop the LMS' back into their old DO enclosure (if you still have it), and stack that with the UXLs.
But if I did that, where would I put the the next sub when I buy two of the 24" drivers he's designing?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm surprised you aren't just doing IBs at this point.
Don't own otherwise I would do the sub setup much differently. In fact, when I do finally own and save up the cash most of the drivers will probably be going and it'll be a complete refresh.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
These cuts really might be better with a panel saw if you can find one to borrow for a weekend. At least to get them close to the dimensions. I'd still finish them with a table saw.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Every Lowes or Home Depot I've seen has a large panel saw and someone who knows how to use it.

When you buy your MDF or plywood, go on a week day. Those stores are usually too busy on the weekend, and maybe the guy who is good on the panel saw isn't there. Bring your diagram, and offer the guy at the panel saw $20 to cut the sheets. Whenever I've done that, they always refuse the tip (company policy?) but they do a good job on the panel saw.

It's much easier to take home those smaller pieces than a 4×8 sheet, and if the dimensions are not exactly what you need, you can clean that up at home.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
But if I did that, where would I put the the next sub when I buy two of the 24" drivers he's designing?
Where your stack of 18's is now. If 2x24" plus 2x21" can't deliver enough output for you, then its time to start getting creative. Maybe a low-profile down-firing sub to act as a stand for your center speaker.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Every Lowes or Home Depot I've seen has a large panel saw and someone who knows how to use it.

When you buy your MDF or plywood, go on a week day. Those stores are usually too busy on the weekend, and maybe the guy who is good on the panel saw isn't there. Bring your diagram, and offer the guy at the panel saw $20 to cut the sheets. Whenever I've done that, they always refuse the tip (company policy?) but they do a good job on the panel saw.

It's much easier to take home those smaller pieces than a 4×8 sheet, and if the dimensions are not exactly what you need, you can clean that up at home.
I normally get them to cut them a bit larger. Then it's easy to clean up

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Where your stack of 18's is now. If 2x24" plus 2x21" can't deliver enough output for you, then its time to start getting creative. Maybe a low-profile down-firing sub to act as a stand for your center speaker.
Basically I'm not going to be happy until I have 2 rotary subs to fill in 1-30Hz, 10-24" drivers to fill in 30-120Hz and a pair of Maximus 12 LXE's to handle the rest. BUT, I can continue to try :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis