Dedicated CD player vs. DVD player

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
$50 is absurd for Phones? I must be crazy. I got some $100 headphones and compared to the others I was looking at, they were cheap.
LOL. I sponsored a Head-fi meet at one of our hotels this past weekend. There were at least 5 pairs of headphone with $3K+ price tags there. Mine are comparatively modest: AKG K1000s ($900) and Sennheiser HD650s($400). Then you have to get to the headphone amps, which can range from $40 DIY jobs, to $15K behemoths. Again, mine are modest by some standards: Singlepower MPX3 fully upgraded ($2600) and EAR Yoshino V20 ($5500).

N

no man

Audioholic
holy ****...just out of curiosity...who buys $5500 headphones??

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you have the income, why not? I personally would like to hear the Sennheiser Orpheus phones with their matching tube amp. I'd bet they'd be like buttah.

N

no man

Audioholic
no offence or anything, but why spend that much money on a pair of..headphones?

N

no man

Audioholic
right, i didnt see that response, i guess but there are many other things you could use that money toward, like a new tv (something i need..)

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Alright, for me it might be rediculous to drop $1k on headphones, but that's me. When you have the income like Sleestack does, you can buy $30k of new gear at the drop of a hat. When you consider that from what he's posted, one of his many systems cost over $40k, $7k on headphones isn't very much out of line with the rest.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
no man said:
right, i didnt see that response, i guess but there are many other things you could use that money toward, like a new tv (something i need..)

Some people don't have the space for a speaker setup so they invest their money in high end headphone setups. I think many people would be surprised at how good an excellent heaphone setup can sound.

Other people like me simply like having both speakers and headphones. They are very different ways to listen to music, but both can be equally gratifying. Personally, I prefer my speaker setups, but I also love late night listeing under the cans.

Everyone has a different budget, so nothing ever surprises me. I have a friend who spends up to $5K on a single dinner... for himself!

N

no man

Audioholic
i wish i had that kind of income, but then again ive got lots of time, many years i should say to get on my game, whats you're friend do to make that much? what do you do to make that much? well you say that before but...yea

N

no man

Audioholic
guess my age and i'll give you a shiney nickel, plus 6 cents for shipping and handeling, so you'll owe me a penny :)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
no man said:
no offence or anything, but why spend that much money on a pair of..headphones?
Just depends on if you like them enough, eh? :) I love music, and I love music even more when it's played back over a superb playback device. I keep a couple of really nice portable audio systems around for on-the-go use[though I've never had to spend as much as your example for a superb headphone]. Why should one be limited to great sound only at home? Of course, some people have their headphone systems set up only for stationary use at home; due to space constraints, noise issues or for just the unique perspective of headphone listening.

-Chris

N

no man

Audioholic
i agree WmAx, dude..i agree, ive got a computer, 2 tv, a crummy sterio (crummy because its old, got great sound and all, but i want hook it up to my computer or anything else), a dvd player, i plan to get a $200+++ home theater system but not over 500, cheapo theater :), but all give good sound, exept my 20" tv which is practicly anchient (it tends to loose its signal very often, gotta go up to it and slam it for it to get its reception back, happens all the time...)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I've never found headphones that felt comfortable enough on my head to wear very long. But I just hate headwear in general.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Rob Babcock said:
I've never found headphones that felt comfortable enough on my head to wear very long. But I just hate headwear in general.

I'd have to agree. I can spend about 30 minutes under the 650s before they start to annoy me. That's part of the reason I got K1000s.... they don't actually touch your ears.

N

no man

Audioholic
i'm guessing the cheapest are the ones that come with your peanuts on an airplain..

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
no man said:
i'm guessing the cheapest are the ones that come with your peanuts on an airplain..
The don't give you headphones anymore. You have to buy them for $5 (or bring your own) if you want to watch the in-flight movie.

I personally would never pay more than $100 for a pair of headphones. I paid $79 for a pair of Sony MDR-V6 and they are good enough for me.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
no man said:
who's made the most expensive headphones?
Sennheiser Orpheus... over $5K

Sony Qualia - $3500

Those are the ones I have had a chance to listen to.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Sleestack, how are the Orpheus phones? Did you listen with the associated amp?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
no man said:
I think the cheapest ones are probably the ones that can be found in a one-dollar store on a regular basis.

-Chris

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
jaxvon said:
Sleestack, how are the Orpheus phones? Did you listen with the associated amp?

They were quite amazing. I didn't use the associated amp, but another high end amp with balanced outputs. Extremely transparent heaphones. I would consider getting them but I'm spendiung less and less time under the cans.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis