Couple questions about Yamaha RX-A3060

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I also thought you meant towers just for L/R. I think ideally if you did have towers L/R then identical towers all around if you could manage it seating/room wise would be great. Then you'd want an acoustical screen instead of a display, too.

Pioneer Elite line was pretty good stuff at one point but isn't what it was from what I can see; the Pioneer Elite plasma set was the best until Pioneer couldn't afford to market it any more then they sold the name to Sharp for lcd sets....the Elite avrs tend to be better than the base avr model lineup. I'd still not buy Pioneer or Onkyo at this time but if they incorporate Dirac into their avrs some day, could be interesting (Pioneer has a distribution agreement for Dirac).
Good idea! I would love a 7.4.4 full of big towers and big monitors on the ceiling with a rack full of Yamaha or crown amps. I did not know pioneer had distribution for Dirac. That's pretty cool. I'm hoping for Dirac in a mainstream avr. Fwiw a friend of mine who is a service tech for pioneer told me once the elite avr line was not a lot different inside than the top half of the regular pioneer line(entry level is not great), and I could save some money. My 1019ahk is great.(bedroom) I love mcacc presets.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good idea! I would love a 7.4.4 full of big towers and big monitors on the ceiling with a rack full of Yamaha or crown amps. I did not know pioneer had distribution for Dirac. That's pretty cool. I'm hoping for Dirac in a mainstream avr. Fwiw a friend of mine who is a service tech for pioneer told me once the elite avr line was not a lot different inside than the top half of the regular pioneer line(entry level is not great), and I could save some money. My 1019ahk is great.(bedroom) I love mcacc presets.
LOL wouldn't we all like that perfect killer room expense be damned. Here's a story on Pioneer and Dirac

I had a 919 but it developed some hdmi issues just after warranty, gradually died after some partial use. I did like MCACC's ability to setup/save profiles/tweaks.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Congrats me guys for I finally bought the crown xli800 and have my 11.2 all running.. one thing is killing me though, the damn on/off blue light is too strong.. could've used a heads up on that :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Congrats me guys for I finally bought the crown xli800 and have my 11.2 all running.. one thing is killing me though, the damn on/off blue light is too strong.. could've used a heads up on that :)
Lol. Congrats first of all. Big time! Second, a little piece of electrical tape can go a long way.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You read my mind.. unfortunately the tape I have is also blue:confused:
But not opaque tape, is it? It'll still block the light. I've also used little pieces of black cardboard on my XLS gen1 amps to block the excess light.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats! :) That light is an easy fix. Just put a chunk of cardboard or tape over it.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
But not opaque tape, is it? It'll still block the light. I've also used little pieces of black cardboard on my XLS gen1 amps to block the excess light.
Congrats! :) That light is an easy fix. Just put a chunk of cardboard or tape over it.
Thanks guys.. I put a sticker on it and it's not as annoying as it was.. I gotta say though I didn't feel the extra two speakers.. maybe because most movies I have are dts 5.1.. yet, atmos files are incredible I can feel the extra surround.. gonna try dts x this time and keep you posted.. pretty thanks to you all :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
hey guys.. this is media info for a bluray rip.. it says atoms / TrueHD.. I noticed even my AVR shows the same thing when I play atoms files.. my question is aren't atmos and TrueHD totally different?

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 7 719 Kbps
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 fps (40 spf)
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : The.Great.Wall.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
hey guys.. this is media info for a bluray rip.. it says atoms / TrueHD.. I noticed even my AVR shows the same thing when I play atoms files.. my question is aren't atmos and TrueHD totally different?

Audio #1
ID : 2
Format : Atmos / TrueHD
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Bit rate mode : Variable
Maximum bit rate : 7 719 Kbps
Channel(s) : Object Based / 8 channels
Channel positions : Object Based / Front: L C R, Side: L R, Back: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : / 48.0 KHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 fps (40 spf)
Compression mode : Lossless
Title : The.Great.Wall.2016.1080p.BluRay.x264.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos-FGT
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
TrueHD is Dolby's lossless audio codec, Atmos is Dolby's additional metadata for the Atmos/ceiling speakers. So think of it as a base layer (TrueHD) with additional information (Atmos) if you have gear/speakers to utilize.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
TrueHD is Dolby's lossless audio codec, Atmos is Dolby's additional metadata for the Atmos/ceiling speakers. So think of it as a base layer (TrueHD) with additional information (Atmos) if you have gear/speakers to utilize.
Got it .. thanks a lot...

I think it would mean the same for DTS:X and DTS HD MA right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Got it .. thanks a lot...

I think it would mean the same for DTS:X and DTS HD MA right?
Yes, DTS HD MA is a lossless codec similar to TrueHD, DTS:X recordings have additional metadata for the ceiling speakers (Auro 3D is another format to utilize ceiling speakers).

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Yes, DTS HD MA is a lossless codec similar to TrueHD, DTS:X recordings have additional metadata for the ceiling speakers (Auro 3D is another format to utilize ceiling speakers).
There are very few movies with dolby atmos or DTS:X, I heard about Aura but never really came across it, I Don't believe it's that popular

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There are very few movies with dolby atmos or DTS:X, I heard about Aura but never really came across it, I Don't believe it's that popular
Yep one reason am in no hurry to adopt this particular tech until such time as I have a room with ceiling speakers and in my house that is just too much work at this time :) I'll stick to my plasma/2K/non-Atmos setup for a while yet.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Yep one reason am in no hurry to adopt this particular tech until such time as I have a room with ceiling speakers and in my house that is just too much work at this time :) I'll stick to my plasma/2K/non-Atmos setup for a while yet.
but the Yamaha receiver I have utilizes atmos and DTS:X even without ceiling speakers.. you can mount them on the wall as I did and it will still work

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
but the Yamaha receiver I have utilizes atmos and DTS:X even without ceiling speakers.. you can mount them on the wall as I did and it will still work
Yes, you can matrix any content into all your speakers with the avr's dsp and you can use even upfiring speakers or wall mounted speakers as compromises but if I'm going to do something like Atmos it will be with proper ceiling mounted speakers.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Yes, you can matrix any content into all your speakers with the avr's dsp and you can use even upfiring speakers or wall mounted speakers as compromises but if I'm going to do something like Atmos it will be with proper ceiling mounted speakers.
Does it really make that of a difference?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
To me it would. I don't like to compromise when it comes to audio. I'd insist on having them in my ceiling too. It's really just a preference thing. I'll bet your system sounds awesome for movies.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
To me it would. I don't like to compromise when it comes to audio. I'd insist on having them in my ceiling too. It's really just a preference thing. I'll bet your system sounds awesome for movies.
yeah but DTS:X doesn't work with ceiling speakers as I'm informed .. and most movies actually come with DTS codec so it's natural DTS:X will be more popular than Atmos.. at least that's what I believe

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I've heard many dissatisfied comments about the upfiring speakers particularly, not so much about substituting wall mounted speakers. I think well setup ceiling speakers with the placement parameters as ideally defined by Atmos/DTS:X would be something to aim at rather than compromises. I already have a fairly immersive setup so doing something like upfiring or different wall positions I don't think is worth the effort to accommodate Atmos/DTS:X speakers or content.....for now.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis