Couple questions about Yamaha RX-A3060

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Appreciate that! Due to your question, are actively looking for new speakers or just window shopping?

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
No I am not buying this time but I want to get an idea about what's available

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd lean more towards the Studio series from JBL than the Arena series, altho that's by reputation and forum reports, not listening.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
I'd lean more towards the Studio series from JBL than the Arena series, altho that's by reputation and forum reports, not listening.
What brands have you listened to and what did you find best? I am taking your opinion quite different, with all respect to the others, I have a sense we both share the same taste in sound.. what would you get to make the maximum of the a3060?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What brands have you listened to and what did you find best? I am taking your opinion quite different, with all respect to the others, I have a sense we both share the same taste in sound.. what would you get to make the maximum of the a3060?
The JBL Studio speakers I mentioned a few posts back, I bought not long ago unheard beforehand. Same for the Ascend speakers before those. No places nearby to go listen these days either, just takes my chances after research and trying various speakers over the years., sometimes something at friends' houses. Have put together a Dayton BR1 kit, am building a few speakers (of others' design), and have built four subs so far and a few more in line to build...wont likely be buying any in a store anytime soon.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
The JBL Studio speakers I mentioned a few posts back, I bought not long ago unheard beforehand. Same for the Ascend speakers before those. No places nearby to go listen these days either, just takes my chances after research and trying various speakers over the years., sometimes something at friends' houses. Have put together a Dayton BR1 kit, am building a few speakers (of others' design), and have built four subs so far and a few more in line to build...wont likely be buying any in a store anytime soon.
You're a man of hard taste i get :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hard taste? Not sure what you mean.....
I mean if you're building your own speakers and not buying them.. you must have a specific criteria of your own.. something other brands don't offer

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mean if you're building your own speakers and not buying them.. you must have a specific criteria of your own.. something other brands don't offer
More just interested in how things work, wanted to learn about woodworking, plus its very cost effective and I like good value. I do have a lot of audio stuff accumulated over the years, each room has a system pretty much :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
More just interested in how things work, wanted to learn about woodworking, plus its very cost effective and I like good value. I do have a lot of audio stuff accumulated over the years, each room has a system pretty much :)
As long as you're enjoying them.. please keep up doing what you do.. and I really appreciate your modesty.. it shows a real character :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6079.JPG
IMG_6080.JPG

Hey guys.. I listened to these sets today which are the best they got.. i gotta say i wasn't impressed with sound quality at all as their setup is quite idiotic.. how do you rate (out of 10) the sets and their prices (to get an idea how to convert to dollar just multiply by 3 and you'll get an estimate)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Subwoofer selection here in the states is pretty awesome, but just keep in mind a subwoofer doesn't need to match the speakers (unless they have some aesthetics you want to match). B&W subs here are expensive for their performance in any case. JBL consumer subs have had a reputation for amp issues over the last several years but can be a decent value; never been impressed by Polk subs' performance altho that seems to be one of their better efforts. You may still need two subs for your room volume (don't remember how big your room was) and also for smoother frequency response across more seats.

The B&W CM series speakers gets generally good reports, but tend to be pricey, I've not heard them. The JBLs Studios are similar to what I've got, but a step down, and generally get very good reports, I find them quite good for the money. The Polk LSi series gets generally good reports but haven't heard them myself. You might search this forum and perhaps avsforum.com for user comments on all these series.

Good setup would definitely help any audition, particularly subs. Were you able to A/B/C compare or? Might even start a separate thread just on the pros/cons of these three sets. Did they seem an improvement over the current Polk setup you have?

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Subwoofer selection here in the states is pretty awesome, but just keep in mind a subwoofer doesn't need to match the speakers (unless they have some aesthetics you want to match). B&W subs here are expensive for their performance in any case. JBL consumer subs have had a reputation for amp issues over the last several years but can be a decent value; never been impressed by Polk subs' performance altho that seems to be one of their better efforts. You may still need two subs for your room volume (don't remember how big your room was) and also for smoother frequency response across more seats.

The B&W CM series speakers gets generally good reports, but tend to be pricey, I've not heard them. The JBLs Studios are similar to what I've got, but a step down, and generally get very good reports, I find them quite good for the money. The Polk LSi series gets generally good reports but haven't heard them myself. You might search this forum and perhaps avsforum.com for user comments on all these series.

Good setup would definitely help any audition, particularly subs. Were you able to A/B/C compare or? Might even start a separate thread just on the pros/cons of these three sets. Did they seem an improvement over the current Polk setup you have?
No I didn't compare them.. the sound was awful with little or no bass at all.. if I to choose my ears I'd say my current set is far better than what I heard.. even the salesman admit it.. he said people dont audition.. most customers believe bose in brand number one so they don't bother calibrating the sound at all!!

The only good thing I heard is the they (xcite) are the main Sony dealers now.. so I'll be expecting the new Sony oled tvs in few months

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No I didn't compare them.. the sound was awful with little or no bass at all.. if I to choose my ears I'd say my current set is far better than what I heard.. even the salesman admit it.. he said people dont audition.. most customers believe bose in brand number one so they don't bother calibrating the sound at all!!

The only good thing I heard is the they (xcite) are the main Sony dealers now.. so I'll be expecting the new Sony oled tvs in few months
An in-home audition with careful setup would be ideal, believe you said they don't allow that? I'd bet all of these would put a bigger smile on your face than your current setup, tho.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
An in-home audition with careful setup would be ideal, believe you said they don't allow that? I'd bet all of these would put a bigger smile on your face than your current setup, tho.
No they don't allow inhome audition.. It's a new market here.. I believe it will catch-up oneday and better options will be available.. i am going to hold my breath and wait a bit longer.. I'll even ask around maybe there's some store that isn't famous selling better sets.. I prefer to get pro gear or stay with what I have for now cos from what I've heard.. I could've really down much worse

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis