Are High End CD Players Overated?

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
cool miles said:
in a 30k system either. The MF improves the gain of your CD player, so take it to a reputable store and play your CD plus buffer against better CD players and see if it improves your system that much. You will be disappointed I suspect as much better CD players will leave no prisoners. I suggest you try a Audio Research CD3 MK2, against the revolutionary x 10vs 3 which I own, and check the result. A good CD player does not need tubes. The tubes should be in the preamplifer and if it is helping anything, it is a substandard preamplifier. Sorry for being so hard on my waste of money.

David
No, the Musical Fidelity stuff is not going to be in that system. The musical fidelity products are used in my home office systems and make a huge improvement on all of my digital sources, including the Denon 3910. I'm not sure if you are using the X10v3 with thte PSU and DAC, but that combo is stellar for digital stereo sources and adds a touch of warmth that I really appreciate. The CD player will be in the dedicated system.

Last edited:
S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
WmAx said:
SInce you were purchasing a new CD player, I assumed that you wanted something to be different. Maybe that's just looks? The gear(such as the tube preamplifier with variable saturation) I suggested can be tailored to be transparent or to audibly color the signal, if that's what you desired.

Right. The Behringer products use the same standard internal components as other high quality professional studio gear(The equipment that is used to mix/master the music.). The price(which I'm not sure why you mentioned) of your stereo is not important in regards to actual performance.

-Chris
Part of the reason I am buying the CD player is definitely b/c it will be used in a high end 2 channel system and want a quality piece with good aesthetics. I will be using a tube amp in that system, so I'm not looking for the coloration that my Musical Fidelity products provide. I definitely know a $3500 rebook player isn't a good value play and will see for myself if I can even hear the difference.

Again, I know nothing about the Behringer stuff, however, I'm looking for equipment that fits in my system on more than a purely functional level.

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
Sleestack said:
. I definitely know a $3500 redbook player isn't a good value play and will see for myself if I can even hear the difference.

I would argue that your first high end digital source should be a redbook CD player. The reasons are easy. One 90% of everyones software are redbook CDs. Advancements in redbook CDs and better mastering abilities have very good redbook CDs being produced today.

SACD has not caught on. There are expensive good players, but compare their CD response to the better redbook players and the redbook players win hands down. One really needs the SACD as a second seperate piece unless wealth permits units like dcx.

THe best redbook CD players today, are the best digital source players for your money. Check out my $5000 Audio Research CD or several others and compare them. The problem is, that to get from a $500 NAD to $3000 does not show much difference in performance. After that, you will see substantial changes, depending on the manufacturer.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
cool miles said:
THe best redbook CD players today, are the best digital source players for your money. Check out my $5000 Audio Research CD or several others and compare them. The problem is, that to get from a $500 NAD to $3000 does not show much difference in performance. After that, you will see substantial changes, depending on the manufacturer.
I am getting the Meridian G08, which is a very well respected player that has received many glowing reviews in the press and from poeple I trust.

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
Sounds great

I was saying not to apologize for it being Redbook. To me, this is the state of the high end art other than records at the moment.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The irony.

cool miles said:
Advancements in redbook CDs and better mastering abilities have very good redbook CDs being produced today.
Huh? Not many of those "very good redbook CDs" are being made. While the technology available today makes for better potential mastering, who the heck uses this ability to it's potential besides a handful of audiophile labels? Even [1]Telarc(an audiophile label) has fallen to the way of creating at least one badly mastered CD for the sake of maximum loudness recently, and the majority of labels(non audiophile) typically create vile sounding CDs, where as in the late 80's and early 90's, the sound quality was actually better, overall, with the older mastering techniques, that BTW, did not make it possible to ruin the sound to the degree possible today with modern mastering techniques.

-Chris

Footnotes

[1]Tierney Sutton
Album: Dancing In The Dark
2004(C) Telarc
CD-83592

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
cool miles said:
I was saying not to apologize for it being Redbook. To me, this is the state of the high end art other than records at the moment.

I agree. I use my home theater for the few dozen SACDs I own, but my primary interest is 2 channel music. I spend at least 7 hours a day listening to music. For that purpose, all I need is a redbook CD player. My next purcahse is a turntable, the VPI HR-X

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Sleestack said:
Again, I know nothing about the Behringer stuff, however, I'm looking for equipment that fits in my system on more than a purely functional level.
Thank you for the clarification.

-Chris

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
Too bad for telarc

The Hybrid part of SACD, the unquestionably great CD's being putout of reprodutions of Blue Line and the now fourteen years experience in using digital equipment provides for the manufacture of outstanding stereo CDs. I cannot immage you quetioning JVCs HRCD's. They are not as good as records, but on my system, all run very well.

Audio Research CD3 MK2
Audio Research LS25 MK 2 Preamp
Audio Research 300.2 Amp
Wilson Watt Puppys 1.2

I am not suggesting all new cds are produced well. Frankly, many that are made for radio, absolutely suck eggs, but, I would dare you to compare my ARC CD3 with the current Acuphase SACD and many others. I cannot believe you are unable to buy outstanding redbook CD's now. These CD's provide frequesncy, soundstage etc.

What CD system are you using?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
cool miles said:
The Hybrid part of SACD, the unquestionably great CD's being putout of reprodutions of Blue Line and the now fourteen years experience in using digital equipment provides for the manufacture of outstanding stereo CDs. I cannot immage you quetioning JVCs HRCD's. They are not as good as records, but on my system, all run very well.
That is the point -- only a few select labels, known as typically audiophile labels, are outputting high quality recordings with this advanced digital state of the art.

Audio Research CD3 MK2
Audio Research LS25 MK 2 Preamp
Audio Research 300.2 Amp
Wilson Watt Puppys 1.2

I am not suggesting all new cds are produced well. Frankly, many that are made for radio, absolutely suck eggs, but, I would dare you to compare my ARC CD3 with the current Acuphase SACD and many others.
I did not mention specific players in my last reply. This is not relevant to the subject of mastering quality of the CDs.

What CD system are you using?
This has no bearing on the discussion.

-Chris

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
It is quite apparent which system are you using?

Since as you admit, there are many high level cds available, I buy the bluelines for abuot $8 US, by the way. It is straight forward your complaint may be the ability of your system to play them. It is not necessarily the front ends fault that the cds come out properly.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
cool miles said:
It is straight forward your complaint may be the ability of your system to play them. It is not necessarily the front ends fault that the cds come out properly.
It appears that a few typographical errors have made your statement unclear. But, if you mean that my audio system(s) may not be sufficient, then that it is rather presumptious. If you believe that many CDs(from non-audiophile labels) are of good sound quality, better than in the past, then I am happy that you can appreciate them. I, however, can not. If your reply revolves around a pre-concieved notion of something that I have said about the select audiophile labels that you listed, then that is an error, as I have not said anything about the specific labels that you listed previously.

-Chris

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
What is the topic?

Are high end CD players over rated? is the the theme. You have indicated that Cd's are made to high standard. That myth has been errased and then you blame the it on the fact that I buy certain labels. Frankly, there are always superior and inferior equipment , cds etc. Since, you have agreed Cds can be make to high standards, then what source you are listening to becomes a topic when you keep on complaining. It is definetly not changing the topic, but going back to the opening of this set of threads.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
cool miles said:
Are high end CD players over rated? is the the theme. You have indicated that Cd's are made to high standard. That myth has been errased and then you blame the it on the fact that I buy certain labels. Frankly, there are always superior and inferior equipment , cds etc. Since, you have agreed Cds can be make to high standards, then what source you are listening to becomes a topic when you keep on complaining. It is definetly not changing the topic, but going back to the opening of this set of threads.
Doesnt matter what you get if your going to run the digital connection but if your not,got to research the player,alot. Whats high end anyway? Over 1K?

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
What is hi end

Something that plays the music as you want it to.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
cool miles said:
What are you talking about? I think it would be prudent to take a bit more time and communicate with more clarity. At this point, I don't know what you are in disagreement about.

-Chris

C

cool miles

Audioholic Intern
I guess I got lost when you were embarrassed as to what CD player you were using. Good Day.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
cool miles said:
I guess I got lost when you were embarrassed as to what CD player you were using. Good Day.
Maybe next time you'll think about what you want to convey before pressing the keys, instead of resorting to to the type of antic(s) as seen here(probably ultimately caused by lack of clear communication) where you get seemingly upset. So far, you've made few things clear, but one of them is that you think pretty highly of your audiophile cd playback equipment. Though, so far as my cd player is concerned, or if I even have a cd player, is irrelevant. Maybe I just borrow a friend's when I want to listen to tunes? :)

-Chris

Last edited:
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
WmAx said:
Maybe next time you'll think about what you want to convey before pressing the keys, instead of resorting to to the type of antic(s) as seen here(probably ultimately caused by lack of clear communication) where you get seemingly upset. So far, you've made few things clear, but one of them is that you think pretty highly of your audiophile cd playback equipment. Though, so far as my cd player is concerned, or if I even have a cd player, is irrelevant. Maybe I just borrow a friend's when I want to listen to tunes? :)

-Chris
If you just want to "listen to tunes",then just get a boombox.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
shokhead said:
If you just want to "listen to tunes",then just get a boombox.

Don't knock it. They are great. I have two :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis