• iBOOK 14" 1 GHz CD-RW (40 GB).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iBOOK 14" 1.2 GHz DVD-RW (60 GB).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I'll try to tackle all this recent round of questions in one shot.

Bluetooth - short range wireless. think of it as a replacement for USB. For keyboard, mouse, sync data w/ cel phone or Palm. I use it to avoid typing names in my t68i with the 10-key pad. Names and numbers in my OS X Address Book are transferred via Bluetooth to the phone.

Wi-Fi/Airport/802.11b/* - mostly the same or compatible with each other. Airport and Airport Express are Apple's term for 802.11b and 802.11* respectively. Wi-Fi is the generic term for all flavors of 802.11. In rare cases 802.11 hardware from one vendor won't work with another, but all my users here have Airport or APExpress and don't have any trouble when they're out and about. It works like an Ethernet port, but without the wires.

RAM - 512MB is probably OK for most things. If it starts taking a long time to switch between open apps then it might be time for more. Not many of my users have more than that, and they are all OK.

EDGE - like using a cel phone network for your internet connection. Not very widely used, I just threw it out as an example where you might need the PC card slot that the iBook doesn't have.

*3, *4 - main difference is the AltiVec part of the *4 chip. It's like what Intel used to call MMX with the old Pentiums, but a LOT faster. Big speed boost for processing images, audio, video, but helps a little overall. There's too many other variables to compare CPU clock speeds between different CPUs. If you're comparing the same CPU, it's best to look at the ratio instead of the difference. Example: 1.5 vs. 1.33 - the 1.5 is about 10% faster. But that's only one part of the whole system. You've also got hard drive, video, network speeds and more that influence the overall performance of a system. Because Intel figured out some tricks to crank up their clock speeds very quickly in the late '90s, they wanted everyone to focus on that as the most important factor, but it's only one of many.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
djoxygen said:

Bluetooth - short range wireless. think of it as a replacement for USB. For keyboard, mouse, sync data w/ cel phone or Palm. I use it to avoid typing names in my t68i with the 10-key pad. Names and numbers in my OS X Address Book are transferred via Bluetooth to the phone.

Wi-Fi/Airport/802.11b/* - mostly the same or compatible with each other. Airport and Airport Express are Apple's term for 802.11b and 802.11* respectively. Wi-Fi is the generic term for all flavors of 802.11. In rare cases 802.11 hardware from one vendor won't work with another, but all my users here have Airport or APExpress and don't have any trouble when they're out and about. It works like an Ethernet port, but without the wires.

RAM - 512MB is probably OK for most things. If it starts taking a long time to switch between open apps then it might be time for more. Not many of my users have more than that, and they are all OK.

EDGE - like using a cel phone network for your internet connection. Not very widely used, I just threw it out as an example where you might need the PC card slot that the iBook doesn't have.

*3, *4 - main difference is the AltiVec part of the *4 chip. It's like what Intel used to call MMX with the old Pentiums, but a LOT faster. Big speed boost for processing images, audio, video, but helps a little overall. There's too many other variables to compare CPU clock speeds between different CPUs. If you're comparing the same CPU, it's best to look at the ratio instead of the difference. Example: 1.5 vs. 1.33 - the 1.5 is about 10% faster. But that's only one part of the whole system. You've also got hard drive, video, network speeds and more that influence the overall performance of a system. Because Intel figured out some tricks to crank up their clock speeds very quickly in the late '90s, they wanted everyone to focus on that as the most important factor, but it's only one of many.
hey dj.
thanx.
plz explain this also, which u missed out. the difference between 802.11b and 802.11*? Airport and Airport express? the difference between the two?

i saw this somewhere, and i had copied it. i dont exactly now remember where, probably at my univs site or something. i dont really remember. and i dont have the time to go back there. but i will paste it here. so explain it plz. i asked u the earlier question abt *3 and *4 after only i read this portion:

"Different users have different needs, and the features of your computer will depend on what you want. In our experience screen size and memory are more important than processor speed and hard drive size. These days the smallest drives are huge, and even slower processors are more than fast enough for most purposes. When considering the speed of a computer, pay more attention to the type of CPU (e.*. *4, Pentium 4) than to the number of MHz. Efficiency differences between families are huge, so the “clock speed” is only really useful for comparing processors within the same family.

The IT Committe strongly discourages use of floppy disks, which lose data files with alarming frequency, and are too small for backups. If you want removable storage, we recommend either Zip drives, rewritable CDs (CD-RW), or USB flash drives. All three hold a lot of data, and are convenient when your computer is not networked. However, the best and safest way to move files around is to copy them over the network.

For networking, get built-in Ethernet on your computer, and built-in wireless as well if you get a laptop. The ease of setup, simplicity, and reliability makes built-in interfaces preferable to external third-party cards. Also, for sound on a PC a sound card and speakers may be necessary, and speakers on a Mac may be nice. Lastly, if you’re buying Windows XP, get XP Pro instead of XP Home."

and did u see the link that i had pasted in the previous posts. did u visit that place? or did u not? do tell me that.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
(OK, so for whatever reason, the letter than comes after "f" and before "h" in our alphabet has a hard time displaying sometimes, but at least we all agree what letter that is.)

802.11* and Airport Extreme are the same thing and are faster than 802.11b and regular Airport.

I did hit that link and there wasn't any incorrect information there. I appreciate that you think I have better answers than they do. thx.

Not sure what other question you had related to your long quote from the IT Committee.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Too funny

djoxygen said:
(OK, so for whatever reason, the letter than comes after "f" and before "h" in our alphabet has a hard time displaying sometimes, but at least we all agree what letter that is.)

802.11* and Airport Extreme are the same thing and are faster than 802.11b and regular Airport.

I did hit that link and there wasn't any incorrect information there. I appreciate that you think I have better answers than they do. thx.

Not sure what other question you had related to your long quote from the IT Committee.
Hey dj.
this is too funny u know.
see ur second line. u say this: ".....at least we all agree....." in this word called "agree", we can see the alphabet "*", but then subsequently, we cannot see it.

Ok, forget abt the long quote of the IT committee.
I have probably got the answer.
If i still have any doubt, then i will get back to u.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Still there?? :eek:

brontobyte.1024 said:
Hey dj.
this is too funny u know.
see ur second line. u say this: ".....at least we all agree....." in this word called "agree", we can see the alphabet "*", but then subsequently, we cannot see it.

Ok, forget abt the long quote of the IT committee.
I have probably got the answer.
If i still have any doubt, then i will get back to u.
:eek: Huh!! The problems still there. :eek:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
:eek: :eek:
:eek:

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Rationale??

djoxygen said:

Hey dj.
I know u did check out the new upgrades and the prices by Apple Inc on its iBooks and powerbooks.
I tried to compare them.
But could not find out the possible rationales behind it.
Is it gonna boost up the sales.
I dont think.
All lower models have literally reached the higher ends.
And why did Apple do this??
Any special reasons behind it?

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Got it??

djoxygen said:

Hey dj,
u know what.
the iBook has finally got the approval from my side.
I am just waiting for one of my uncles when he come from the US early next month along with the iBook.
I have emailed him.
And I am getting this out of all probabilites, unless something seriously different changes my plans.
I am getting this: "1.33GHz PowerPC *4
512K L2 cache @ 1.33GHz
14-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
60GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in"

The extra things that I think i will go for is an extra 256 MB RAM,a nd a blue tooth.

Do u think this all will do?
Anything else needed?
Do i need an extra adapter, or an extra battery?
Do u think i should go for the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP)??

Do u think I sud go for the extra 20 GB space? They r already giving me 60 GB though. I think I might need more, but i can well manage with what I am getting. And thats 60GB.

One more thing: sud i go for 1 chip of 512 RAM, or will 2 chips of 256 MB RAMs be the same thing. Keepin an eye for the future upgradation factor.

I am waiting for ur anserws.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
brontobyte.1024 said:
Hey dj,
Do u think this all will do?
Anything else needed?
Do i need an extra adapter, or an extra battery?
Do u think i should go for the AppleCare Protection Plan (APP)??

Do u think I sud go for the extra 20 GB space? They r already giving me 60 GB though. I think I might need more, but i can well manage with what I am getting. And thats 60GB.

One more thing: sud i go for 1 chip of 512 RAM, or will 2 chips of 256 MB RAMs be the same thing. Keepin an eye for the future upgradation factor.
If you can swing the extra $$ for 1x512 rather than 2x256, you should. Also, I recommend (and I absolutely live by this) that you get AppleCare for any machine with an LCD. The cost of fixing a broken LCD is more than the cost of replacing the whole system. 60GB should keep you happy for quite a while. I don't think it's reasonable to put your entire MP3 collection on the internal drive of a laptop. If you start doing a lot of audio/video editing in the future, you'll probably want an external drive anyway. If you plan on being away from power for a long time, the extra battery would be nice, but the one that comes with should last 3 - 4 hours unless you're watching a DVD, which will wear it down faster. I don't think the extra AC adapter is necessary for most people.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
djoxygen said:
If you can swing the extra $$ for 1x512 rather than 2x256, you should. Also, I recommend (and I absolutely live by this) that you get AppleCare for any machine with an LCD. The cost of fixing a broken LCD is more than the cost of replacing the whole system. 60GB should keep you happy for quite a while. I don't think it's reasonable to put your entire MP3 collection on the internal drive of a laptop. If you start doing a lot of audio/video editing in the future, you'll probably want an external drive anyway. If you plan on being away from power for a long time, the extra battery would be nice, but the one that comes with should last 3 - 4 hours unless you're watching a DVD, which will wear it down faster. I don't think the extra AC adapter is necessary for most people.
Is the Applecare applicable everywhere in this world?
As in can I make that applicable in India?

or else, can i go for the Applecare here in India, after buying it in the US?

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Ram

Also, whats the resale value of the RAMs?
asin, if i am willing to upgrade, then I have no slots left?
What then?

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
You're going to have to ask Apple in India about their AppleCare policies. I can only tell you something that would be an assumption based on the US market.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
RAM is a commodity market. Price changes so quickly there is no way to say what any given amount will be worth next month, much less a year or 2 from now.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
djoxygen said:
RAM is a commodity market. Price changes so quickly there is no way to say what any given amount will be worth next month, much less a year or 2 from now.
U mean basically, i can still go for 2x256 MB RAM? right?
and my machine wont go slow in atleast 2-3 more years?
and who knows what happens after that time?
Letz face it then only?
Right?

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
The speed of your machine won't change in 2 years or 20. Only your expectations of it. In 2 years you might want to do completely different things that you do today. If so, you might need to upgrade (either pieces of your current system, or to a completely new computer).

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
djoxygen said:
The speed of your machine won't change in 2 years or 20. Only your expectations of it. In 2 years you might want to do completely different things that you do today. If so, you might need to upgrade (either pieces of your current system, or to a completely new computer).
u know what?
i had called up a few Apple stores here.
And they say, they have machines which have the config such as this:
880MHz, 256 RAM etc etc.... and it will cost me INR 67000. 1$ = INR 45.85.

And thats klike huge.
and the config is so bad.

Apple hasnt , as of now, introduced its new upgraded machines here in India.

so the only prob is of SHIPPING now.
coz i dont wanna spend sooooo much in India.
its cheaper and better in US.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
theres one more problem.
in the US, they do not gimme the carry case which costs me atleast some 100-125 $. but in INDIA, the carry case is always price inclusive.
So, in theat amount, I have the carry case also.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Manuals??

djoxygen said:
Will there be manuals abt how to use OS X? (along with the new machine)

Will Apple give me the CDs for all softwares that comes along?

Or will it just be loaded on the machine, without the disks?

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
brontobyte.1024 said:
Will there be manuals abt how to use OS X? (along with the new machine)
Just the "getting started". Most apps have built-in help with additional information.

brontobyte.1024 said:
Will Apple give me the CDs for all softwares that comes along?
There is a DVD-ROM or 2 to restore all orig SW.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
samster & johnny

Hey Johhny & Samster.

u guys seem to have vanished in the thin air?

so, the ADMINISTRATORS made life hell for u.

simply register urself. its so easy.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
djoxygen said:
Just the "getting started". Most apps have built-in help with additional information.
There is a DVD-ROM or 2 to restore all orig SW.
Oh that will fine enough.

But suppose i have a prob with only one of the softwares, will those DVDs help me then?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis