• iBOOK 14" 1 GHz CD-RW (40 GB).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • iBOOK 14" 1.2 GHz DVD-RW (60 GB).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Don't really know about the overseas markets, but here in the US, Apple just announced this morning a bump in the iBook speed and a drop in the price. The cheapest one can be had for under us$1000! I really don't know where to start for finding someone who will export them to India or elsewhere, though. I guess you could start here: http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Computers/Retailers/Macintosh/

The screen size of the iBook hasn't changed, so my concern there still remains, but there's no way I can say what will work for each of you, only what works for me and for people I know. You each have to weigh CPU, monitor, disk, size, weight, etc... and make the call for yourselves. Even if 99 people said iBook and one said PowerBook, the PowerBook might still be right for you. If majority ruled, there would be only one computer - a cheap Dell running Windows 95/98 (yes, still the most installed OS in the world) on a 17" CRT with no DVD drive.

The fact that there are so many opinions on what's better, what's important, etc... should demonstrate that everyone needs something different. All I can do (and all I have done) is tell you what are the differences between iBooks and PowerBooks and what works better for me. I'm not sure there's anything else I have to add to this thread, although I will check back occasionally.

Best luck making your decisions, and I hope that my information has been helpful!

S

Samster

djoxygen said:
Hey guys/girls - haven't got totally caught up yet. Work's been pretty busy the last few days. Apologies if answers have already been found for these questions - I'm catching up in chronological order.

SMB is a Windows method of file sharing that stands for Server Message Block.

SaMBa is an open source (Linux/Unix) way of sharing using the same protocol. Built into Mac OS X as "Windows File Sharing".

If the Windows network at your office has a computer that acts as a gateway to the Internet and requires some kind of password to get from the internal network to the rest of the world, it may take some fiddling in OS X to get it to work. In my experience this isn't as common as it was in the '90s, but I can't begin to speculate on your situation. Most of the time, OS X will find its own way out to the 'net just fine, though.
Hey thanx djoxygen.
welcome back though.
I did do some research on the SAMBA thing, and guess i am trying to know wat it is all abt.
u said this: "Most of the time, OS X will find its own way out to the 'net just fine, though"
does that mean, even for entering into the gateway also, my OS X will be so easy?
or do u say, the fiddling is inevitable?

J

Johnny

Firewire

djoxygen said:
Ext FireWire drive would be an ATA drive mounted in an external case with a FireWire/IEEE1394/i.Link (all the same thing) interface. More expensive, but more flexible than internal ATA drives.
I could not understand this part that I am quoting here above.
I dont know if u could understand my question well.
See, I have my Desktop hard disk. Wat I want to know is, can I somehow connect this desktop hard disk to my iBook and then transfer my songs?

Got it? Plz donmt ask me to buy anything new now.
Though of course, make a mention of it, and plz temme the price.
I am finishing up with my cents.......no dollars yet!!
Booooo

J

Johnny

Ata Hdd

djoxygen said:
Ext FireWire drive would be an ATA drive mounted in an external case with a FireWire/IEEE1394/i.Link (all the same thing) interface. More expensive, but more flexible than internal ATA drives.
My problem is exactly the same as brontobyte.1024 has.
I also have a desktop, and I want these files to be transferred without much effort, physically, and financially.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
[1024x768] v. [1280x854]

djoxygen said:
My biggest issue with iBook vs. PB is the size of the built-in monitor. For my usual usage, 1024x768 just isn't enough pixels, but for some people it will be just fine. There isn't enough difference in the speed of the CPU between the models for most people to notice day-to-day. Only if you're rendering 3D, video, photoshop or other complex computations.
I'm sure you can set your desktop monitor of your current system to 1024x768 in the Display Control Panel and try it out. If you're used to a 15" monitor, then no problem, but if you normally use 17" or larger, the iBook is going to seem really cramped.
I know it will be difficult, but I am used to both 15" and 17" monitors.
so will not be a big prob i think.
i know its sad but i will try to manage.
perhaps this is getting out to be the only noticeable problem.
isnt it?
if thats the only one, then i think i go for the iBook and not the powerbook.
coz of the price considerations.
it is too much of a difference in the price.
wat ya say?
:)

J

Johnny

PB still better !!

djoxygen said:
Personal preference. As is mine for the PB. Everyone's needs, wants, and budget are different. My opinion is only my opinion.
I know. PB would still be better, no matter what.
But dj, see one thing that brontobyte is pointing out.
Is the resolution the only "markable" difference that is coming out?
Note my words....I say markable difference.
I know there are difference, and there has to be.
But after analysing almost everything, this is coming out to be the one that we guys need to consider.
Apart from the weight of the notebooks, the colour, and speed differences?
Am i correct?
Or u still gotta point out something.
I am not prejudiced about any models.
Its just that I am clarifying my doubts. And plz lemme do that.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
I agree

djoxygen said:
Don't really know about the overseas markets, but here in the US, Apple just announced this morning a bump in the iBook speed and a drop in the price. The cheapest one can be had for under us$1000! I really don't know where to start for finding someone who will export them to India or elsewhere, though. I guess you could start here: http://dir.yahoo.com/Business_and_Economy/Shopping_and_Services/Computers/Retailers/Macintosh/

The screen size of the iBook hasn't changed, so my concern there still remains, but there's no way I can say what will work for each of you, only what works for me and for people I know. You each have to weigh CPU, monitor, disk, size, weight, etc... and make the call for yourselves. Even if 99 people said iBook and one said PowerBook, the PowerBook might still be right for you. If majority ruled, there would be only one computer - a cheap Dell running Windows 95/98 (yes, still the most installed OS in the world) on a 17" CRT with no DVD drive.

The fact that there are so many opinions on what's better, what's important, etc... should demonstrate that everyone needs something different. All I can do (and all I have done) is tell you what are the differences between iBooks and PowerBooks and what works better for me. I'm not sure there's anything else I have to add to this thread, although I will check back occasionally.

Best luck making your decisions, and I hope that my information has been helpful!
Hey dj,
theres no offence made to you for comparing the polls and what u said.
I know the Pb is better at any cost.
thers no doubt about it.

And ur askin if ur inputs did help or not? Oh oh oh they helped me in all respects.
Not even an iota of doubt left.
Every single question answered.

And moreso, I think u told us what we wanted to know, and we wanted to know what u told us.

Pointing out the fact that the polls shows something else is REGARDLESS, and that was a mer fact that was happening outta here on this thread.

It has nothing to do with ur sense of sincerity and knowledge inrespect to what was asked and answered by you here.

I Thank u a thousand times for answering all my questions.
And i will also remember u when i buy my machine.
I willmail u the very day when i buy it.
I have started accumulating the money, and i think i will be able to get that in a month or so.
not later than that, unless something strange happens.
I hope such things dont happen at the first instance.

thanx again.
and plz do come back here.
thanx for answering all the querries.
rather, i would like and appreciate, if u come back to this thread as frequently as u have been on earlier ocaassions.
i hope u consider this request.
thanx djoxygen, coz u have helped me big time!!

J

Johnny

Me benefitted

brontobyte.1024 said:
Hey dj,
theres no offence made to you for comparing the polls and what u said.
I know the Pb is better at any cost.
thers no doubt about it.

And ur askin if ur inputs did help or not? Oh oh oh they helped me in all respects.
Not even an iota of doubt left.
Every single question answered.

And moreso, I think u told us what we wanted to know, and we wanted to know what u told us.

Pointing out the fact that the polls shows something else is REGARDLESS, and that was a mer fact that was happening outta here on this thread.

It has nothing to do with ur sense of sincerity and knowledge inrespect to what was asked and answered by you here.

I Thank u a thousand times for answering all my questions.
And i will also remember u when i buy my machine.
I willmail u the very day when i buy it.
I have started accumulating the money, and i think i will be able to get that in a month or so.
not later than that, unless something strange happens.
I hope such things dont happen at the first instance.

thanx again.
and plz do come back here.
thanx for answering all the querries.
rather, i would like and appreciate, if u come back to this thread as frequently as u have been on earlier ocaassions.
i hope u consider this request.
thanx djoxygen, coz u have helped me big time!!
I second what brontobyte said.
A BIG THANX from my side too.
Keep on answering our questions.
Its highly benefitting.
Thanx dj.

S

Samster

thank you djoxygen

Johnny said:
I second what brontobyte said.
A BIG THANX from my side too.
Keep on answering our questions.
Its highly benefitting.
Thanx dj.
Looks like a farewell bid.
But u helped me also. and i dont want u to go and forget this thread. i will come back to ask u whenever i hav some more doubts. i will not say a bye to u.
no. but i have to thank you.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Any details

Johnny said:
i dont really know abt that,
may be others who are involded in this thread can help you.
I would also be interested in it.
Hey people, did any1 get any further details abt the question that came up here regarding making money on the net.
Working and getting paid? All on the net? Sitting on the computer?

S

Samster

brontobyte.1024 said:
Hey people, did any1 get any further details abt the question that came up here regarding making money on the net.
Working and getting paid? All on the net? Sitting on the computer?
I was also expecting something.
but now that djoxygen says he will not come, i doubt there will be an answer to this question.
Surf the net on your own.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Samster said:
Hey thanx djoxygen.
welcome back though.
I did do some research on the SAMBA thing, and guess i am trying to know wat it is all abt.
u said this: "Most of the time, OS X will find its own way out to the 'net just fine, though"
does that mean, even for entering into the gateway also, my OS X will be so easy?
or do u say, the fiddling is inevitable?
I meant that it totally depends on how your network is configured. MOST of the time you don't need to make any settings at all, but there are situations where you might have to. Without any more information from you, I can't possible say what your situation is.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Johnny said:
I could not understand this part that I am quoting here above.
I dont know if u could understand my question well.
See, I have my Desktop hard disk. Wat I want to know is, can I somehow connect this desktop hard disk to my iBook and then transfer my songs?

Got it? Plz donmt ask me to buy anything new now.
Though of course, make a mention of it, and plz temme the price.
I am finishing up with my cents.......no dollars yet!!
Booooo
What is the interface of your "desktop hard disk"? USB? Firewire? ATA? SCSI? Serial? Parallel? Need more info to answer the question.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
brontobyte.1024 said:
I know it will be difficult, but I am used to both 15" and 17" monitors.
so will not be a big prob i think.
i know its sad but i will try to manage.
perhaps this is getting out to be the only noticeable problem.
isnt it?
if thats the only one, then i think i go for the iBook and not the powerbook.
coz of the price considerations.
it is too much of a difference in the price.
wat ya say?
:)
If you're cool w/ the smaller screen, then I'd say the iBook will be fine.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Johnny said:
I know. PB would still be better, no matter what.
But dj, see one thing that brontobyte is pointing out.
Is the resolution the only "markable" difference that is coming out?
Note my words....I say markable difference.
I know there are difference, and there has to be.
But after analysing almost everything, this is coming out to be the one that we guys need to consider.
Apart from the weight of the notebooks, the colour, and speed differences?
Am i correct?
Or u still gotta point out something.
I am not prejudiced about any models.
Its just that I am clarifying my doubts. And plz lemme do that.
Screen size is, again *to me*, the main difference. All the others I don't care much about. But others might think differently. If you're doing video editing, the small speed advantage of the PB might make a big difference. If you need to use a PC card for mobile wireless on an EDGE network, then the PB is your choice. I can't stress enough that anyone saying "buy this" or "buy that" should be taken with skepticism. I only wanted to say "Here's the differences, you guys make your choices based on that information." Given that, I will answer any technical questions, but stay away from making recommendations unless you tell me what's important *to you*.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Video Editing & 512 MB RAM

djoxygen said:
If you're cool w/ the smaller screen, then I'd say the iBook will be fine.
hey dj.
I think out of all the differences and similarities, and features that u told me, i am deciding on the 14" IB without the Super Drive. Apple Inc has gone upto 1.33 GHz with their IBs too, and upgraded their PBs top 1.5GHz. I think 1.33 GHz will do for me. And I can compromise on the screen size also. Considering majority of the points that we discussed here. I will pay more for the Blue Tooth and the Hard Disk space. 60GB space isnt really enough. I might as well get some more RAM.

Though I wanted to ask you few more things. I am not too much onto video editing, but what i do sometimes is cut a few songs from movies (DVDs), to store them. U know everytime, u cant just buy the entire disc just for one song.

2nd, tell me what exactly is a Blue tooth? How does it work? What all does it help me to do?

3rd, i am goin for the 512MB RAM, so do u think I should still go for some more RAM. If not now, then for a future need or something? Or is 512 MB RAM ok?

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Wi-Fi & EDGE Network??

djoxygen said:
Screen size is, again *to me*, the main difference. All the others I don't care much about. But others might think differently. If you're doing video editing, the small speed advantage of the PB might make a big difference. If you need to use a PC card for mobile wireless on an EDGE network, then the PB is your choice. I can't stress enough that anyone saying "buy this" or "buy that" should be taken with skepticism. I only wanted to say "Here's the differences, you guys make your choices based on that information." Given that, I will answer any technical questions, but stay away from making recommendations unless you tell me what's important *to you*.
Hey dj,
I forgot one more point.
Here, at my place of work, they are deciding to go for the Wi-Fi. That means (probably for me) I will not have to insert a wire each time to my computer, and connect to the net, but it will all be wireless then.

So, whats a Wi-Fi? Again, how does it help?
whats an EDGE Network? how it helps?

And what is an AIRPORT EXTREME?
Is it the same as the Wi-Fi?

J

Johnny

802.11 b/*

djoxygen said:
What is the interface of your "desktop hard disk"? USB? Firewire? ATA? SCSI? Serial? Parallel? Need more info to answer the question.
my enthusiasm seems to always increase along with brontobyte's. i have a few more questions to be answered along with the interest to know the answers to questions posed by brontobyte.

is this 802.11 b/* same as airport extreme?
what is the difference between 802.11b and 802.11*?
how do they differ, how are they similar, and how do they work?

what is the difference between a *3 processor and a *4 processor.
how much does it matter when it is 1.33GHz *4, and when it is 1.5GHz *4?explain this point please.
how much does it matter when it is 1.33GHz *4, and when it is 1.33GHz *3?explain this point also, please.

what is clock speed?
what difference does it make when 1.33GHz becomes 1.5GHz?

J

Johnny

same problems

Unregistered said:
Huh!! Some problem with my keyboard I think.

All the time I have been wanting to say *4 (*4), but I dont know why the star mark comes in.

I hope this time it comes as "*4". Actually, the processor that APPLE is using now with its iBooks and powerbooks.

I am praying this time for the correction. I hope it is alright this time. I am posting it finally.

SORRY readers (the serious readers in this thread) for the botherance that I created. Sorry !!
hi pal. i think this site has a problem. see the post above. its mine. and with the same problem. * is not coming. sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not there. i wanted to say *4 and *3. hope you all people understand.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Another Thread

djoxygen said:
Hey dj,
Thanx so much for the advices and the opinions you have given.
I was just surfing the net on similar areas for more anf further clarifications, and came across this link: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=10etj0jqkvsii36@corp.supernews.com&rnum=5&prev=/groups?q=apple+ibook+1.33&hl=en&lr=&selm=10etj0jqkvsii36%40corp.supernews.com&rnum=5.

It was so normal, simple, and not-understandable (sorry, but too cheap a comment) that was posted in reply to the querry put by the original poster.

You have been answering so wonderfully, that i had to tell u this.

Do take a look at it, and u will also understand how good u are.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis