• iBOOK 14" 1.2 GHz DVD-RW (60 GB).

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Hello people

I am in a state of utter confusion. :confused:
Can someone tell me what to buy? iBOOK or a powerbook?
And then which one?
I dont mind the 14" or the 15" one. Any model would do.
The money is the problem. PERHAPS!!
Can sumone tell me what xactly is the difference between iBOOK & powerbook? And where is the difference? I mean where and which application, or by doin what can i feel the difference?
Can u plz help? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
U

Unregistered

I own both iBook and PowerBooks so here is my take...

The powerbooks are slimmer and faster machines with a 16x9 screen form factor. Their body is made of aluminium which makes them look more high end.

The ibooks slightly heavier and bulkier, have a 4x3 screen form factor and are made of white plastic. They look a bit like ipods do.

Both lines are fast enough for all but the most demanding users

Powerbooks have higher screen resolution, faster graphics card (important to hard core gamers or if you do a lot of Photoshop image manipulation), depending on the model DVD burner, bluetooth module to wirelessly synchronize your agenda on your bluetooth capable cell phone, and this is what you pay for.

My wife prefer the iBook for its looks, I prefer the powerbook for its larger screen. Both are great machines.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Hey friends. Thanx for the advice, but atleast u cud have put ur name which cud have helped me further.
Anyways, I have got one more small question: I checked the APPLE like here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72203/wo/k118ZXf08wYj2DLU7pl1R16gGVl/0.0.9.1.0.6.21.1.1.1.1.0.0.1.0.
But i wonder if those transparent machines are still availanle, though this site of apple doesnt show that machine. I have seen it in movies many a times, blueberry and tangerine, coloured ones. Heres the link to the place where these pictures can be found: http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9907/21/apple.ibook.02/.
I just fell in love with it. Are they not available now? Where can i get it,if its available.
I am eagerly waiting for an answer.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Clamshell

brontobyte.1024 said:
Hey friends. Thanx for the advice, but atleast u cud have put ur name which cud have helped me further.
Anyways, I have got one more small question: I checked the APPLE like here: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/72203/wo/k118ZXf08wYj2DLU7pl1R16gGVl/0.0.9.1.0.6.21.1.1.1.1.0.0.1.0.
But i wonder if those transparent machines are still availanle, though this site of apple doesnt show that machine. I have seen it in movies many a times, blueberry and tangerine, coloured ones. Heres the link to the place where these pictures can be found: http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9907/21/apple.ibook.02/.
I just fell in love with it. Are they not available now? Where can i get it,if its available.
I am eagerly waiting for an answer.

That is a Clamshell ibook, it was the first gen of ibooks. They are several years old and are not fast compared to the ibooks of today. Buy a new one!

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
There are only two advantages to an iBook - price and 802.11 reception

The advantages to PowerBooks are many:

Faster CPU
Faster MoBo speed
Faster video chip
Support for monitor spanning (iBook will *only* mirror unless you hack)
Larger (and widescreen) built-in LCD
PC card expansion

Now that's all on the new models. If you're looking at used ones, it really depends.

Those old colored iBooks (the ones we lovingly call "toilet seats") were good in their day, but they had a very non-standard battery most of which have died by now and replacements are very difficlut to find. Also, pretty underpowered if you want to run OS X.

Used Titanium PowerBooks are fantastic, though. We have 2 in the sub-1GHz range at our office including the one I'm typing on right now. They have been beat to death on many trips and are still kicking. Older black PowerBooks are getting a little slowish by comparison, but you can get them for a song and batteries, expansion devices, and more are readily available. OS X runs great on all of them.

If you want to run OS X every day, I'd really have to recommend trying to stay above 500MHz and have *at least* 256 MB RAM. OS 9 will run well on just about anything with a *3 or *4 except the very oldest and models released in the past year.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Financially Feasible?

Hey djoxygen, :p
Thanx a ton!! :p
One more querry: I play games, but not a big time GAME Hunk. A ocassional one.
The biggest of uses is the Office Software. I use it heavily.
I use some, though not many JAVA applets.
I use the net vigorously for surfing.
I use
all Windows compatible movies playing softwares (Codec installed).
Of course, I use too many applications at the same time since my work type demands.
I need a bit more of Virtual Memory always.
As per my requirements, and likings, I thought the 15" powerbook (1.2GHz DVD/CD-RW) machine is awesome. But due to money constraints, I might end up buying the 14" iBook (1GHz DVD/CD-RW) machine.I dont think the Super Drive will help me anyways.
I have a desktop now which is AMD Athlon 2400+ MHz NVIDIA nFORCE 768MB DDR SDRAM running on WINDOWS XP PRO SP2. So, I fear if the 14" iBOOK will not be too slow as compared to my desktop, which will irritate me while working coz it might get too slow. :(
So, as per you, if it will be too slow, then i will wait for sumtime till i accumulate the money, and then go for the powerbook. If it will not make a markable difference, then i will go for the iBook.
Plz Suggest.

J

Johnny

Same querries

hello djoxygen,,,,,,,,,thanx for the comment. Even i have similar questions that brontobyte.1024 has. after of course u commented and he further questioned. i am a student basically based in US. and i have exactly similar questions as brontobyte asks the second time just above my post here.
plz answer them on a 2nd demand, and a request for second time by second person. thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

djoxygen said:
There are only two advantages to an iBook - price and 802.11 reception
The advantages to PowerBooks are many:
Faster CPU
Faster MoBo speed
Faster video chip
Support for monitor spanning (iBook will *only* mirror unless you hack)
Larger (and widescreen) built-in LCD
PC card expansion
Now that's all on the new models. If you're looking at used ones, it really depends.
Those old colored iBooks (the ones we lovingly call "toilet seats") were good in their day, but they had a very non-standard battery most of which have died by now and replacements are very difficlut to find. Also, pretty underpowered if you want to run OS X.
Used Titanium PowerBooks are fantastic, though. We have 2 in the sub-1GHz range at our office including the one I'm typing on right now. They have been beat to death on many trips and are still kicking. Older black PowerBooks are getting a little slowish by comparison, but you can get them for a song and batteries, expansion devices, and more are readily available. OS X runs great on all of them.
If you want to run OS X every day, I'd really have to recommend trying to stay above 500MHz and have *at least* 256 MB RAM. OS 9 will run well on just about anything with a *3 or *4 except the very oldest and models released in the past year.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
My biggest issue with the iBooks and the 12" PowerBook is the screen size. 1024x768 just isn't enough for me. If you're playing 1st person shooters, you won't be running at higher rez than that anyway, but if you're more into the strategy games like Sim- or Civilization, the extra real estate on the 15" PB will make you much happier, and I just find it useful all the time. I don't think movie playback performance will be much different on either system. For Office on OS X, you should just make sure to put at least 512MB RAM in whatever system you have - I don't think there'll be much diff in performance between iB and PB for those apps.

Overall for my money, I'd wait and get a 15" PB. Check out Small Dog Electronics (http://www.smalldog.com/) for good deals on refurb/used PBs. They are a very reputable Mac company.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Johnny, as a student, you *may* have portability higher on your priority list. I'm not sure I'd want to dig out a 15"-er to take some quick notes in class. 12" PB or iBook might be better in those situations.

As usual, only you guys can really determine what your wants/needs are and how they stack up against the offerings. I'm more than willing to decoded the specs into the real-world and give you my opinions, though.

J

Johnny

Being a student matters....

djoxygen,
Thanx again.
I am in affirmitive to your suggestion. But I feel the 12" thing is just a bit too small.
Isnt it?
And what about the time when I finish my studies. Thaz not gonna take too long for me.
And i intend keepin this machine atleast for 5 years.
Is it alrite if i go for a 14" iBOOK?

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Sadly, the 14" iBook has exactly the same number of pixels on the screen as the 12" PowerBook and iBook. I believe it is only made for people who have a hard time with the smaller pixels of the 12"-ers. At least the 12" PowerBook will allow you to hook up an additional monitor to extend your desktop.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
Me from India

Hey djoxygen,
Thanx a ton!!
I will tell one of my small, and probably the last of problems, and doubts.
1st, I want to get the returns from the money i spend on this powerbook. That means it should atleast work for sum 5-6 years easily, without letting me think that I am desperate to change my comp, coz other new generation powerbooks, or any intel processors are running highly faster and more efficiently. I will tell u why.
I am from India (Asia), the price for the 15" PB(the one which i want) is INR 1,24,900 (in Rupees) which is US $ 2,800 (approx).
Now the same thing in the USA is US $ 2,000. Can u see the price difference. 800 $ extra just because the place of buying is different. And thats like huge difference, not only for me, but i think generally for all unless you are a Billionaire. Right?
Its the same with the 14" iBOOK also, but the price is again relatively lesser in difference. (US and INDIA).
So plz tell me if this will not become really obsolete by the end of 5 years may be. I know technology is changing, but then u cant run with the change in technology, and get everything that is new, and fast, and efficient. 5 years may not be 5 years, but 4 years, or may be 3.5 years.
Moreover, wat else can be the disadvantages if i take the 14" iBOOK?
Though i am still thinking of waiting and getting the 15" PB.

Thanx again, for ur series of advices.
Thanx djoxygen.

Johnny said:
hello djoxygen,,,,,,,,,thanx for the comment. Even i have similar questions that brontobyte.1024 has. after of course u commented and he further questioned. i am a student basically based in US. and i have exactly similar questions as brontobyte asks the second time just above my post here.
plz answer them on a 2nd demand, and a request for second time by second person. thanxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

J

Johnny

Same pixels?

djoxygen, what does pixel mean exactly? How does it help and how it works?
And if its the same for 14" IB as the 12" PB & IB, then u say its bad. And cant i connect this 14" IB to my desktop monitor? What does your sentence mean? Kindly be a bit more specific.

djoxygen said:
Sadly, the 14" iBook has exactly the same number of pixels on the screen as the 12" PowerBook and iBook. I believe it is only made for people who have a hard time with the smaller pixels of the 12"-ers. At least the 12" PowerBook will allow you to hook up an additional monitor to extend your desktop.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Hey Johnny,

good questions/points...

Apple (as well as Intel, Dell, M$FT, Lexus, GM, etc...) has always wrung a lot of profit out of the people that convince themselves (rightly or wrongly) that they need the absolute fastest, most powerful, biggest, most expandable, most whatever.

At the other end (eMac), they are selling on razor-thin margins to keep market share with those people that might switch suppliers based solely on price.

In the middle is the fertile ground for the reasonable mind/wallet. I wasn't aware of, nor can I explain the reason for, the large markup in your region, but I would only recommend an iBook for someone who only does email, web surfing, general office stuff, rips a few CDs to iTunes, and maybe fires up a game or two on rare occasions, but for whatever reason absolutely *needs* portability. And in such a case, I would wholeheartedly recommend an iBook without reservation.

As soon as you break out into any graphics work, page layout, more serious gaming, video editing, major (like 30+GB) mp3 library, I have to go with the bigger screen and better video chip of the PowerBook. Again, though, portability must be essential for the user.

For most people the premium paid for the convenience of occasional portability isn't worth the sacrifice in power. My own mother is on the verge of replacing her original (1998 bondi rev A) iMac. She is drawn to the PowerBooks, but I am strongly steering her toward an iMac *5 because all she wants out of her portability is occasionally using the computer by the TV downstairs. 20 lbs of iMac moved once every few weeks isn't that much different than 7 lbs of PowerBook. But the iMac's vastly superior measure in every specification and benchmark (besides weight and size) at the same price point far outweigh the size/weight issue *for *her *needs.

Since you never mentioned a desktop system, I've been assuming that portability is a must.

Now my personal approach is to buy one notch down from the fastest/spendiest in whatever line (desktop, laptop, monitor, car, TV, etc...) I'm purchasing. In the case of Apple notebooks that would be the 15" PowerBook. At my office, we have 3-year-old Titanium 15"-ers still in service with plenty of life left in them. I wouldn't put them up against a dual-Athlon in a Doom 3 death-match, but that's not what they're used for. (If it were, I wouldn't have bought notebooks at all.) At home I have the original *3 PowerBook coming up on 7 years of service. That was my one dabbling with the top of the top-end. If that old machine can last for 7 without major issues, I would have no doubt about the current 15" PB doing just fine for the next 5. Whether or not speed will be OK depends on what kind of work you're doing 5 years from now. If you start working on your independent feature-length CGI cinematic masterpiece using Maya and Final Cut before then, you'll probably want to upgrade. If not, you'll be OK.

About your pixel question - a pixel is one RGB dot on the screen. All monitor resolution is measure in horizontal and vertical pixels. In Windows, the various resolutions are referred to as VGA, XGA, UXGA, etc... In the Mac universe, we just use the numbers (640x480 = VGA, and so on). The iBooks (12 and 14) are both 1024x768. In the 14" iBook, each dot is a little bigger, but they both display the exact same amount of information. Although the video chip in the iBooks can supposedly extend the desktop to another screen (called monitor spanning (vs. mirroring where both screens show the same image)) Apple has allegedly disabled this feature - probably to justify the premium price of the PowerBook or to preserve performance which *can* degrade if you're displaying more pixels at a time. The current 15" PowerBook monitor is 1280x854 - I don't know what that is in Windows acronyms, but the end result is that you can see about 40% more web page, Sim city, page layout, photoshop image, or whatever it is that you're doing.

brontobyte.1024

brontobyte.1024

Junior Audioholic
The US-India Price Controversy

Hey djoxygen,
your answers to johnny have answered sum of my questions also.
Thanx indirectly for that.
But can u not answer some of my "still-unanswered" questions regarding the The US-India Price Controversy?
I am waiting for an answer.
But do take ur time, if ur busy enough not to reply.
In that case, I will wait.

djoxygen said:
Hey Johnny,

good questions/points...

Apple (as well as Intel, Dell, M$FT, Lexus, GM, etc...) has always wrung a lot of profit out of the people that convince themselves (rightly or wrongly) that they need the absolute fastest, most powerful, biggest, most expandable, most whatever.

At the other end (eMac), they are selling on razor-thin margins to keep market share with those people that might switch suppliers based solely on price.

In the middle is the fertile ground for the reasonable mind/wallet. I wasn't aware of, nor can I explain the reason for, the large markup in your region, but I would only recommend an iBook for someone who only does email, web surfing, general office stuff, rips a few CDs to iTunes, and maybe fires up a game or two on rare occasions, but for whatever reason absolutely *needs* portability. And in such a case, I would wholeheartedly recommend an iBook without reservation.

As soon as you break out into any graphics work, page layout, more serious gaming, video editing, major (like 30+GB) mp3 library, I have to go with the bigger screen and better video chip of the PowerBook. Again, though, portability must be essential for the user.

For most people the premium paid for the convenience of occasional portability isn't worth the sacrifice in power. My own mother is on the verge of replacing her original (1998 bondi rev A) iMac. She is drawn to the PowerBooks, but I am strongly steering her toward an iMac *5 because all she wants out of her portability is occasionally using the computer by the TV downstairs. 20 lbs of iMac moved once every few weeks isn't that much different than 7 lbs of PowerBook. But the iMac's vastly superior measure in every specification and benchmark (besides weight and size) at the same price point far outweigh the size/weight issue *for *her *needs.

Since you never mentioned a desktop system, I've been assuming that portability is a must.

Now my personal approach is to buy one notch down from the fastest/spendiest in whatever line (desktop, laptop, monitor, car, TV, etc...) I'm purchasing. In the case of Apple notebooks that would be the 15" PowerBook. At my office, we have 3-year-old Titanium 15"-ers still in service with plenty of life left in them. I wouldn't put them up against a dual-Athlon in a Doom 3 death-match, but that's not what they're used for. (If it were, I wouldn't have bought notebooks at all.) At home I have the original *3 PowerBook coming up on 7 years of service. That was my one dabbling with the top of the top-end. If that old machine can last for 7 without major issues, I would have no doubt about the current 15" PB doing just fine for the next 5. Whether or not speed will be OK depends on what kind of work you're doing 5 years from now. If you start working on your independent feature-length CGI cinematic masterpiece using Maya and Final Cut before then, you'll probably want to upgrade. If not, you'll be OK.

About your pixel question - a pixel is one RGB dot on the screen. All monitor resolution is measure in horizontal and vertical pixels. In Windows, the various resolutions are referred to as VGA, XGA, UXGA, etc... In the Mac universe, we just use the numbers (640x480 = VGA, and so on). The iBooks (12 and 14) are both 1024x768. In the 14" iBook, each dot is a little bigger, but they both display the exact same amount of information. Although the video chip in the iBooks can supposedly extend the desktop to another screen (called monitor spanning (vs. mirroring where both screens show the same image)) Apple has allegedly disabled this feature - probably to justify the premium price of the PowerBook or to preserve performance which *can* degrade if you're displaying more pixels at a time. The current 15" PowerBook monitor is 1280x854 - I don't know what that is in Windows acronyms, but the end result is that you can see about 40% more web page, Sim city, page layout, photoshop image, or whatever it is that you're doing.
:eek:

J

Johnny

Nice answer/reply

Thanx again djoxygen.
That was a nice answer though.
Yeah I have a desktop now which is a Pentium 4 Processor 2.8GHz, 120 GB HDD. I have mp3 songs covering atleast a 80-100GB space (that includes video songs and a few movies of both DIVX and MPEG formats).
I dont think, as of now, I will be doin what all ur talkin about, but ya, the song part, I cant compromise. I have to have bigger space to store my songs, coz I dont like running songs from CDs. I rip ocassionally. 3-5 CDs a week. Sumtimes less, sumtimes more, but the average is 3-5.
The source of playing these songs has to be my machine only.

djoxygen said:
Hey Johnny,
good questions/points...

S

Samster

Shift from WINDOWS to MAC OS X

Hey guys,
U people seem to be seriously discussin some apple related stuff.
Me interested too.
I wanna know how difficult is it to Shift from WINDOWS to MAC OS X?
Not just the user adaptability, but software problems, etc.
Some do not seem to work on MAC OS X.
Moreover, if I have a MS WORD (.doc extension) file, and i transfer that onto my powerbook, then can I still see it in the similar Office file?
What abt the ADOBE ACROBAT? PHOTOSHOP?
Now, will my SONY memory stick work on the new powerbook without any hesitation?
My place of work has Local Area Network, where we work. We access the net via this network connection. All other computers and notebooks have WINDOWS installed on it. So, can I see the files on these computers without any problems. FOr that matter, can I see these computers at all? Can I access the internet easily via this networking?

djoxygen said:

G

George Phill

Shipping Charges

Hello brontobyte.1024,
just one piece of advice for u.
Why dont u goto topdogs.com, and ask them if they can get you the machine shipped from US to India if the price difference is too high. as u have stated here?
and djoxygen might also answer if it is possible since he seems to be knowing this site.
I think they (topdogs.com) are official dealers for many BRANDS.
Try it!!

brontobyte.1024 said:
Hey djoxygen,
Thanx a ton!!
I will tell one of my small, and probably the last of problems, and doubts.
1st, I want to get the returns from the money i spend on this powerbook. That means it should atleast work for sum 5-6 years easily, without letting me think that I am desperate to change my comp, coz other new generation powerbooks, or any intel processors are running highly faster and more efficiently. I will tell u why.
I am from India (Asia), the price for the 15" PB(the one which i want) is INR 1,24,900 (in Rupees) which is US $ 2,800 (approx).
Now the same thing in the USA is US $ 2,000. Can u see the price difference. 800 $ extra just because the place of buying is different. And thats like huge difference, not only for me, but i think generally for all unless you are a Billionaire. Right?
Its the same with the 14" iBOOK also, but the price is again relatively lesser in difference. (US and INDIA).
So plz tell me if this will not become really obsolete by the end of 5 years may be. I know technology is changing, but then u cant run with the change in technology, and get everything that is new, and fast, and efficient. 5 years may not be 5 years, but 4 years, or may be 3.5 years.
Moreover, wat else can be the disadvantages if i take the 14" iBOOK?
Though i am still thinking of waiting and getting the 15" PB.

Thanx again, for ur series of advices.
Thanx djoxygen.

U

Unregistered

I voted for the 14" IB over the 15" PB because though both are worth their money, but the 14" IB is affordable than the 15" PB. So, the crowd moves towards that thing which is both, value for money in terms of efficiency, and decent dollar tag.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis