15 year olds system

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
ok here it is:
20" aveis sdtv
2 sony ss-h77 3ways next to tv ( you can hear them anywhere in my house XD)
iMode ipod dock
2 2-way speaker boxes (8" woofer, 2.5"? tweeter)
1 4"pulser fs-70 (pretty good for 4" but i broke the other one)(no pic)
1 3" imode speaker (also broke other one)(no pic)
hp compaq dc-5100 sff pc, xp sp3, 3gb ram, 40gb hd(LOL i know its a small hd but its an amazing computer for what i paid)
and several hundred feet of wires all over the floor
also bottom pic is closeup of crumbling woofer surround

Attachments

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I'm going to go ahead and say nice system for being 15. When I was 15 I only got stuff from garage sales. I used a 13" CRT computer monitor as a TV, and then upgraded to a TV with knobs. YES KNOBS. They clicked and had 13 channel selections. It was an upgrade, and this was in the 90's. That's sad. For speakers I used a JVC Seperatable boom box, you know the kind where the speakers can disconnect and be placed elsewhere, and it had aux inputs. My speakers were 2 cerwin Vega!s that had 15" woofers, but the woofers were missing, and all I had were 2 10" guitar cabinet speakers, so they hung by one screw hole in the spot where the 15" would go. They were nice speakers though, wood cabinets and a little crossover adjustment knob under the grill cover. That's how high-tech I was.:D

nice little deal you got going on there.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
I'm going to go ahead and say nice system for being 15. When I was 15 I only got stuff from garage sales. I used a 13" CRT computer monitor as a TV, and then upgraded to a TV with knobs. YES KNOBS. They clicked and had 13 channel selections. It was an upgrade, and this was in the 90's. That's sad. For speakers I used a JVC Seperatable boom box, you know the kind where the speakers can disconnect and be placed elsewhere, and it had aux inputs. My speakers were 2 cerwin Vega!s that had 15" woofers, but the woofers were missing, and all I had were 2 10" guitar cabinet speakers, so they hung by one screw hole in the spot where the 15" would go. They were nice speakers though, wood cabinets and a little crossover adjustment knob under the grill cover. That's how high-tech I was.:D

nice little deal you got going on there.
Man. I remember those days. I had the faux-wood cabinet TV with UHF/VHF selector, a Sears VCR with remote (by remote, I mean it had a control box with a 15ft. cord connecting it) One of those big Symphonic stereos that was one big unit made to look like individual components that came with big towers that were made out of hardboard!
I connected my Nintendo to it so I could hear that amazing 8bit bleep bloop sound in Stereo at 15wpc!!! Awesome!!!
My friends thought it was pretty sweet. Stole all my dad's cinder blocks and leftover siding planks to make a very unstable entertainment stand and had the back seat from a 1980 Jeep Cherokee as a "loveseat"

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When I was 15, I had a nice TV in my room, but only a boom box for sound :(

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I had record player with integrated amp to a couple of bookshelfs (local non-us brand) and small tape boombox attached to it's aux input (using headphones out on boombox) - all was nice, till I changed burned fuse for a piece of thick aluminium wire....
Well, that wire didn't burned.... the rest of electronics did :eek:

Ohh, My dad was SOOO PISSED - I ruined his favorite record player...

Lesson learned - I guess that was one of the reasons I went to learn electronics in school...

Last edited:
D

davestradamus

Junior Audioholic
man..... 15 eh? i say kudos to you for putting together your own system. many people your age and older would not attempt to make something cool all their own.

i would check out yard sales on early saturday mornings. thats where i find stuff all the time! the early wake up is sometimes worth it BIG TIME!

i got 2 cerwin vega speakers with 15"s, 2 cerwin vega speakers with 10"s and a marantz reciever from the same yard sale.when i was about your age at a yard sale. my dad paid $25 after some haggling. more recently, i got a turntable that i resold on ebay for $400. I paid $5.

Stick with it, and make sure you enjoy what you are putting together, cause thats all that matters.

Cheers!
-davestradamus

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
man..... 15 eh? i say kudos to you for putting together your own system. many people your age and older would not attempt to make something cool all their own.

i would check out yard sales on early saturday mornings. thats where i find stuff all the time! the early wake up is sometimes worth it BIG TIME!

i got 2 cerwin vega speakers with 15"s, 2 cerwin vega speakers with 10"s and a marantz reciever from the same yard sale.when i was about your age at a yard sale. my dad paid $25 after some haggling. more recently, i got a turntable that i resold on ebay for $400. I paid $5.

Stick with it, and make sure you enjoy what you are putting together, cause thats all that matters.

Cheers!
-davestradamus
im more of a garbage picker, sometimes stuff dont work but oh well i got it free. but yea yard sales are pretty good on a budget as tight as mine

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Thats awesome, man. I remember (wasn't that long ago) when I was 15. I had the boombox type of setup as well but found my Dad's old Jensen speakers out in the shed. Saved my money and replaced a bunch of the parts back when RadioShack still sold individual drivers. What great fun. I also had a TV with knobs.

I eventually saved up for a HTIB setup and had my "dedicated" room when my older brother moved out... Good times.

Thanks for sharing..

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
First system when I was around 13:

-Panasonic AM/FM/TAPE/RECORD combo unit with a pair of matching speakers. The speaker wires connected to the head unit via phono RCA and there was no auxilary input so I connected a Sony boombox to a tape adaptor. I thought it sounded good at the time.

When I reached 15 I got to rework my entire system:

-Denon PMA-300v Pre-Main Amplifier (yes, it actually said that on it). Denon has used the acronymn PMA at the begining of most of their integrated amplifiers. Nice little amp when it worked, rated 55 watts per channel.

-Jensen C-JR bookshelf speakers, purchased brand new from Circuit City with my puny allowance. Thought they sounded so awesome compared to the Panasonic speakers in the simulated wood cabinets.

-Sony D-E301 Portable CD player. It had a line out on the back of the unit as well as an included AC adaptor. I received this as a brand new gift, so you could guess my age within the range of a year or so (should have lied and said my first CD player was a Magnavox CD-560 so I could conceal my true age).

All pictures above are examples, not my actual equipment. Odly enough I got another Sony D-E301 for nostalgia and I got my Jensen C-JR bookshelf speakers back.

Serj22

Serj22

Full Audioholic
I had a nintendo on my system as well, later I found a 3DO at a yards sale with Wolfenstein 3d in like 1995. That was a great find, because two years previous, they were the pirce of the PS3 when it was launched ($699)and A tank game. It was crazy (un)cool. later I tried to sell it to a video game shop, they had no idea what the F it was so they didn't buy it.:D

R

rfolden

Audiophyte
Very cool!

I started out with a KMart all-in-one stereo. It was a Christmas gift from my parents and I had to have the unit serviced about 2 weeks after Christmas because one of the channels quit working. Then I "moved up" to a Morse/Electrophonic system that had these HUGE speakers and the record player was actually separate from the turntable. I kept the speakers for years, eventually replacing all the speaker elements with more high quality (although not by much) coponentry. I'm sure the "receiver" part of that deal is still in use somewhere. Finally, when I had saved enough money I purchased a "real" receiver... a Rat Shack 35 WPC unit. I do not recall the model number, but it had a black faceplate and "sliders" for the volume. Auto-Magic tuning, too. That receiver is still in use at a friends workout room some 30+ years later. I then purchased a crappy pair of Marantz "air suspension" speakers with 8" woofers. That's when the speaker bug hit me and I haven't been the same since.

Enjoy yourself!

rob

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
more recent pics now. the 8"woofers died so im down to a 4"woofer(used as a bass shaker) and 2 sony ss-h77 3-ways but they are still awesome and i have them setup pretty good

and i also have a video of it at 95 dB
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpvmLbnzRLk&hd=1

and can anyone tell me some easy ways to make it even louder

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
i got a new subwoofer and put some old tweeters back into use

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
i just wired my tv so i can use the speakers with my system

newsletter