15 year olds system

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Those Sansui speakers would blow what you've got out of the water, especially after the midrange gets replaced.
These Sansui speakers are not lightweights. First, they are 97db/w so they do not require a lot of power to drive. Second, they are rated to 250w max and I have driven every one of those watts into them with my old Bryston 4B. When these were new, I used them as DJ speakers and they would rock a banquet hall or high school gym with a few hundred people inside and still maintain a very high quality sound signature.

I ended up blowing them by using a low powered, early Pioneer HT receiver, trying to drive them too hard as if I were still using the Bryston. You will blow them again too, if you try to drive them too hard using an underpowered amp into clipping. It's nothing against the speakers. It's just a caution not to drive your amp into clipping.;)

I can drop them off tomorrow later in the afternoon.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
venturer cmp 6937

http://www.venturer.com/products.aspx?view=163

Ok. That's probably considered a micro executive shelf system. It's technically not a receiver. The wattage output on such a piece of equipment will be limited. What is the power consumption stated on the back, it will be in watts or volt amps (VA). I'm going to guess the number is below 40 watts. About 5 watts to run the CD player, about 3-5 watts to run anything that's not the amplifier, and then anywhere between 10-25 watts to run the amplifier. Depending on the topology your efficiency could dictate as little as 3 watts per speaker and 5 for the subwoofer, at most 5 watts for each speaker 10 for the subwoofer. Because of it's low power output capability it probably has a capacitors and resistors in the unit that reduce the low frequency output to protect the unit from over driving when low bass is present.

Did you buy the Venturer new or used, and how much was it?

The Pioneer your parents have isn't what I would consider a receiver either, but it will certainly have an advantage in power and will also not have a subsonic filter like the Venturer. Since neither the Venturer or the Pioneer will be silent with Dave's very efficient Sansui speakers (97dB 1 watt/1 meter, that's crazy) you might as well go with the one that has more power, if you can. The Venturer is more likely to add humming and buzzing noises while the Pioneer will introduce the more acceptable hiss that won't likely be noticeable when music is being played. Also keep in mind your computer will probably add some noises as well. My computer doesn't do a good job of isolation from the HDD, so when the HDD starts searching I can often hear noise from my speakers (usually just headphones though).

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
i probably shouldnt have bought that venturer so fast because i just found a whole 5.1 HT system for $30 on kijiji http://www.curtisint.com/web/browser.asp?productID=DVD6091&catName=DVD
seth, do you think that would be better for my system?
I don't think you understand what everyone is telling you to do. stay far away from all of those 5.1 systems you are seeing. they are low quality, and all sound mediocre. if it's $30, you can be pretty much guaranteed it won't sound good. stop buying those cheap systems and save your money to get a decent used receiver, and a pair of bookshelf speakers.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
well apparently everything will sound like crap when i get the new speakers. i dont have $200 to buy brand new receiver so what other options do i have?

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
and i already have some bookshelf speakers that sound great in my opinion

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
well apparently everything will sound like crap when i get the new speakers. i dont have $200 to buy brand new receiver so what other options do i have?
Wait for when you have more money. You dont need to rush to build your sound system. Keep checking kijiji for a good deal on a used receiver, but ask here first before you buy anything so we can make sure its quality. If you get dave's speakers, we'll try and talk you through fixing the midranges. If you don't, these should set you off on the right foot once you get something that can power them:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652

They are very cheap, and have been getting some good reviews. They won't compete with higher end setups, but they'll certainly sound better than those micro systems and 5.1 in a box systems.

EDIT: If you like your current bookshelf speakers, then just try and get a used receiver.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
well after i get the speakers, im gonna go to some pawn shops becuase i gota get rid of 6x9 speaker box and ill look for some recievers and ill get pics

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
A. The pawn shops aren't going to pay you squat for your 6x9s, if they'll even take them.

B. What funds do you have currently?

C. What's the story on the receiver your parents have, can you use it?

D. Have you talked to your friend about the other receiver yet?

E. I'm almost certain once you get a pair of decent speakers, even ones like those Daytons, you'll wonder how you could ever stand listening to the Sony speakers you have now. Those Sony cabinets appear to be made from particle board, and very thin particle board with paper drivers with crome plastic dust caps. Believe me, it doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Please understand, I'm not trying to knock what you have. I'm trying to educate you and get you off on the right foot. These HTIAB (home theater in a box systems) that you're looking at from Venturer, Curtis Mathes, Apex, and whatever else generic name you can find, are absolutely garbage. They're unreliable, wimpy, and their only design parameter is to look as appealing as possible without costing the manufacturer a lot of money to build and distribute. Those that haven't had a quality system may not recognize they sound bad, but they do. I used to think a boombox sounded good, but I don't have one anymore and won't buy one because they sound like crap.

jnelson88

jnelson88

Audioholic
A. The pawn shops aren't going to pay you squat for your 6x9s, if they'll even take them.

B. What funds do you have currently?

C. What's the story on the receiver your parents have, can you use it?

D. Have you talked to your friend about the other receiver yet?

E. I'm almost certain once you get a pair of decent speakers, even ones like those Daytons, you'll wonder how you could ever stand listening to the Sony speakers you have now. Those Sony cabinets appear to be made from particle board, and very thin particle board with paper drivers with crome plastic dust caps. Believe me, it doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Please understand, I'm not trying to knock what you have. I'm trying to educate you and get you off on the right foot. These HTIAB (home theater in a box systems) that you're looking at from Venturer, Curtis Mathes, Apex, and whatever else generic name you can find, are absolutely garbage. They're unreliable, wimpy, and their only design parameter is to look as appealing as possible without costing the manufacturer a lot of money to build and distribute. Those that haven't had a quality system may not recognize they sound bad, but they do. I used to think a boombox sounded good, but I don't have one anymore and won't buy one because they sound like crap.
See I wish I had help like this when I was starting dipping into the audio world. Started out with a venturer 5.1 system, keep going with HTIAB systems from Walmart thinking I was "Upgrading" your best bet is to save your money and then look. I would say save $500 then tell these guys thats your budget. Bass is not everything and just because you have a lot of bass does not mean your system will be good. Pawn shops are a good place to look as well as eBay and craigslist. Stay away from cheap HTIAB's. Listen to Seth and dont get mad and dont get impatient. Great sound is worth waiting for.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
A. well i dont have any use the 6x9 box
B.none, but i can get some, the sansui's are unbelievable! i will sell every other speaker i have to get a receiver that will work with the the sansui's if i have to
C.no, but have the sansui's hooked up to it for now and i did a bass test, it blew my mind!
D.no, i will talk to him tomorrow
E. yes particle board but not thin, its about an 1.5cm thick. yes paper but no chrome dust caps(i never buy speakers with chrome dust caps because they get wrecked too easy)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I know I said avoid Detroit craigslist, but I found a couple of interesting items.

5.1 Sony ES (Elevated Standard, Sony's high end division) receiver model STR-DA555ES. I think this is a bit overkill, but it's a great receiver and certainly has a nice amplifier section inside of it.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/2009890151.html

This receiver would adequately power your Sansui speakers, and it's cheaper.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/2010985107.html

Found this cheapy as well, should also power those Sansuis just fine.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/2001250587.html

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Please keep in mind that you current amplification is probably less than 10 watts per channel. What I'm suggesting will yeild as much little as 50 watts per channel and in most cases more.

As I find more I will add links and post more.

Here's one that has a Kenwood preamp/amplifier, and tuner.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/ele/2000155688.html

He wants 80 for all three, you would need at least the preamp and amplifier. He probably won't place much value on the tuner (I wouldn't) and wouldn't consider breaking it apart from the components, but you could ask.

An older sony receiver, dolby pro logic.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/1987212873.html

Last edited:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
5.1 i like it,
The ES line is a very good line of receivers. Even if you need to adapt a universal remote: I'd put in the effort to go for that unit if at all possible.

I won't knock Craigslist in general: I got quite a few of my favorite toys there (including my Marantz 7002 and B&W N801's)

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
You guys have the patience of saints.....I just read through this thread for the first time in a while. Don't we all remember the arrogance and foolishness of youth!:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis