15 year olds system

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
well ive got a blown 4" (not from the sansui's) that i think i should destroy with this system, its rated at 5w and this puts out 100w so i think it could be fun
Don't do it, you run a risk of shorting and damaging the receiver. You don't want to be doing any experiments with the most valuable piece of audio equipment that you have, especially since you just invested your money into it.

I did that once with a receiver I spent over $200 on. I blew up two channels on it by making a simple mistake with some wiring. When a driver fails from being over-driven it can easily become highly resistive which may short and damage capacitors, transistors, and diodes (anything in the output signal path from the receiver) and repairs would be beyond your technical know how and having them done elsewhere would be costly.

If you're going to do experiments with junk, do it with junk. You wouldn't hitch a Rolls Royce to an old trailer to see if you could move it would you?

Last edited:
C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Don't do it, you run a risk of shorting and damaging the receiver. You don't want to be doing any experiments with the most valuable piece of audio equipment that you have, especially since you just invested your money into it.

I did that once with a receiver I spent over $200 on. I blew up two channels on it by making a simple mistake with some wiring. When a driver fails from being over-driven it can easily become highly resistive which may short and damage capacitors, transistors, and diodes (anything in the output signal path from the receiver) and repairs would be beyond your technical know how and having them done elsewhere would be costly.

If you're going to do experiments with junk, do it with junk. You wouldn't hitch a Rolls Royce to an old trailer to see if you could move it would you?
oh, good point

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
and now im gonna give this system the hardest test ever created, grand theft auto. all the explosions, gunshots, etc. gave my old 8" woofers a good amount of excursion, havent played it since the 8's died because games arent the same without bass

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
and now im gonna give this system the hardest test ever created, grand theft auto. all the explosions, gunshots, etc. gave my old 8" woofers a good amount of excursion, havent played it since the 8's died because games arent the same without bass
Don't expect excursion from those drivers. They will barely move even though they will deliver the bass. Not subsonic bass mind you. I don't think they really go down that low, frequency wise.

I've seen excursion of maybe half to 3/4 of an inch driving them very loud in a gymnasium with a full 275 watts per channel.

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
i have a song on my computer, the only bass in it is about 10-5Hz and they get some good excursion buy like you said, its only about half an inch, but i still love them

crazystereoman

crazystereoman

Audiophyte

it doesnt matter hes 15 im 15 to. i had a old stereo like that two 10 inch daichi loudspeakers with a old head unit from a ford worked okay for a starter stereo now ive got the whole setup a kenwood 2 way-3speaker set bose rears and older ankyo amp and my new sub the jensen qx-85 really good subs them especially for a 10 inch

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Gotta say, big thumbs up to Seth and Dave in this thread. You're like his 2 dads.

..wait.

SheepStar

C

craig7

Senior Audioholic
Wow I used to be an idiot. I guess I still kinda am with audio a bit but damn... Also the 8" speakers I had in the beginning were goldwoods.... Took 2 years to figure it out..

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
My first systeam I was 13 so going back 6 years ago I had a 32" screen one of the first flat screens argh I was so foolish that thing was massive I had a set of 3 way pioneer speakers with a carbon fibber woofer and an 8" sansui subwoofer and a sansui receiver of course I had surrond sounds they where cobolt 5.1 boom box systeam I had pulled apart and taken the surrounds out and had a center speaker I thourt it was the best systeam ever

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis