First Official Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver Review is Live!

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
If money was not an object which one is a better receiver and why - avr-x4000 vs STR-DA2800ES ?
They are two very different receivers. Both of which I have been able to review.
Sony STR-DA2800ES A/V Receiver Review | Audioholics

The 2800ES has some pretty cool features, like Control4 integration, Netflix, and a 4-port switch. But it lacks multichannel pre-outs, has mirrored sub control, and a cruddy auto setup system.

The X4000 is much more audio oriented. It has 11.2 pre-outs, dual independent sub control, a much better auto setup system, and larger capacitors. It also costs $300 more.

The X4000 is definitely the better choice for those concerned with the best sound quality. The 2800ES is for a different type of consumer.

G

gurmeet

Audiophyte
thank you - that was very helpful

They are two very different receivers. Both of which I have been able to review.

The 2800ES has some pretty cool features, like Control4 integration, Netflix, and a 4-port switch. But it lacks multichannel pre-outs, has mirrored sub control, and a cruddy auto setup system.

The X4000 is much more audio oriented. It has 11.2 pre-outs, dual independent sub control, a much better auto setup system, and larger capacitors. It also costs $300 more.

The X4000 is definitely the better choice for those concerned with the best sound quality. The 2800ES is for a different type of consumer.
Thanks for the help

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

You mean Netflix movies, or just audio? Never mind I am going to check out that review shortly. If it can play movies via Netflix I hope the next version can stream and play from USB too, can't wait for that feature.

S

Spiderbite

Audiophyte
Great review for this receiver. My HDMI monitor out on my Denon-1909 went kablooey during a recent lightning storm and I am looking to replace it with this receiver. I really like all the features and especially need the 2nd HDMI out that lets you play two different monitors simultaneously with the same content (have a TV in my pool room) and it doesn't appear the 2nd HDMI out on the X3000 allows this.

I enjoyed reading about the ease of the set-up and that was one of the reasons I liked my 1909 so much.

Quick question that always confused me with set-up on the 1909: when going through the set-up process with the X4000, how do you set your subs if you have speakers that have subs built in to the front towers? I have a pair of DefTech BP2004TL which have a built-in powered sub in each (I bought them new several years ago and they are still going strong) and also a large DefTech center channel also with a built in powered sub (the C/L/R 2500).

Thanks for any help or assistance on this question.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Audioholics Videographer Extraordinaire
From a google search, it looks like your DefTechs have an RCA input for the built in woofer. Use the sub out from the AVR to the input of each of these speakers, in other words, treat them just like any other subwoofer.

If you have additional inputs, you'll need to split the AVR outputs to accommodate 3-4 subs. In that case, I would put the DefTechs on the same channel as their performance will be most similar.

Great review for this receiver. My HDMI monitor out on my Denon-1909 went kablooey during a recent lightning storm and I am looking to replace it with this receiver. I really like all the features and especially need the 2nd HDMI out that lets you play two different monitors simultaneously with the same content (have a TV in my pool room) and it doesn't appear the 2nd HDMI out on the X3000 allows this.

I enjoyed reading about the ease of the set-up and that was one of the reasons I liked my 1909 so much.

Quick question that always confused me with set-up on the 1909: when going through the set-up process with the X4000, how do you set your subs if you have speakers that have subs built in to the front towers? I have a pair of DefTech BP2004TL which have a built-in powered sub in each (I bought them new several years ago and they are still going strong) and also a large DefTech center channel also with a built in powered sub (the C/L/R 2500).

Thanks for any help or assistance on this question.

S

Spiderbite

Audiophyte
Thanks for the response Marshall. I have had these hooked up with just speaker wire since I moved recently (these speakers are supposed to handle the subwoofers internally through a bass management system when connected that way) so I was wondering if there were any special setting for that with the new receiver. I probably just need to go ahead and buy some long RCA cables (my receiver is in an adjoining room) and hook the subs up that way since the sound quality for that would likely be higher.

S

Spiderbite

Audiophyte
One other quick question regarding this amp for the center channel speaker a subwoofer. The hook-up instructions state to not run a RCA cable from the "full range low level in" into a subwoofer port on the receiver. It says you should go to the "amp-in center" and/or "pre-out center" on a pre-amp. I didn't see a section on this receiver for that and wondered if that is just something that is only included on really high end receivers?

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

Thanks for the response Marshall. I have had these hooked up with just speaker wire since I moved recently (these speakers are supposed to handle the subwoofers internally through a bass management system when connected that way) so I was wondering if there were any special setting for that with the new receiver. I probably just need to go ahead and buy some long RCA cables (my receiver is in an adjoining room) and hook the subs up that way since the sound quality for that would likely be higher.
Audyssey will measure the response of your mains and subwoofer, and cross them over appropriately.

Marshall_Guthrie

Marshall_Guthrie

One other quick question regarding this amp for the center channel speaker a subwoofer. The hook-up instructions state to not run a RCA cable from the "full range low level in" into a subwoofer port on the receiver. It says you should go to the "amp-in center" and/or "pre-out center" on a pre-amp. I didn't see a section on this receiver for that and wondered if that is just something that is only included on really high end receivers?
Pre-out tend to appear on high price-point products, but my midrange Onkyo has them, so it's also very manufacturer/model specific.

balbir

balbir

Audiophyte
I just purchased avr x 4000 but now I'm looking for good pair of towers and center speaker and a sub
Any suggestions plz
In 2000-3000$ range
In canada

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
Speakers are highly subjective as tastes vary so much. The Kef Q series appear to be within your budget and are highly favoured for the money. They could be described as being on the warmer side of neutral and I was pretty impressed with them. I heard the Q900 and the Q300 bookshelves. For sub the best band for buck you can get is to purchase from an Internet Direct company like SVS, Rythmik or HSU Research. Anything from 600 and up(even less depending on your room size) will get you quite a sub, you might have to spend some more for the shipping and brokerage fees. Phone them directly and ask about Canadian shipping.

Or a place called sonic boom audio ships SVS from Canada, might save you some cash.

Last edited:
balbir

balbir

Audiophyte
Sure thanks
I'm new to these names all I know is the brands sold by future shop and best buy in canada . But I'll surely check these names .
Thanks for the suggestions

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Will we get to see power measurements of this receiver some time soon? Video scaling up conversion tests? Or are we going to have to look else where?

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
So I bought this receiver yesterday and I'm stumped....I'm trying to figure out how to set my ps3, Xbox 360 and cable box for pass through.

I don't want to have to turn on the entire system just to listen to the weather report or if I'm doing late night gaming I don't want to disturb anyone in the house by explosions rumbling through the the surround sound

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
And how do you set the receiver to bypass its video processing when watching a blu-ray movie?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I'll be getting this receiver soon and have been reading the Owners Manual. So,
So I bought this receiver yesterday and I'm stumped....I'm trying to figure out how to set my ps3, Xbox 360 and cable box for pass through.

I don't want to have to turn on the entire system just to listen to the weather report or if I'm doing late night gaming I don't want to disturb anyone in the house by explosions rumbling through the the surround sound
Pass Through can be configured to the last active HDMI or be permanently fixed to one of the HDMI inputs. Therefore, switching inputs in Pass Through is not possible. Owners Manual Pg. 164.
Pass Through Source

The AV receiver will “pass through” the sources HDMI signal when

in standby.

Last : Choose this option to “pass through” the last used HDMI input

video source.

CBL/SAT (Default) / DVD / Blu-ray / GAME / AUX1 / AUX2 / MEDIA

PLAYER / CDz : Choose one of these HDMI sources to be passed

through when the AV receiver is in standby.

zz “Pass Through Source” can be set when any of the HDMI connectors is

assigned to “CD” for the input source in the “Input Assign” (vpage 168)

setting.

%

“Pass Through Source” can be set when “HDMI Control” is set to “On” or

“HDMI Pass Through” is set to “On”

And how do you set the receiver to bypass its video processing when watching a blu-ray movie?
Set Video Processing to 'Off' for that HDMI input Pg. 110. Supported input sources : CBL/SAT / DVD / Blu-ray / GAME/

AUX1 / AUX2 / MEDIA PLAYER / USB / NETWORK / CDz / TV

AUDIOz

zzYou can set the picture mode when an HDMI, component video or video

connector is assigned.

1 While content is playing, press OPTION.

The option menu screen is displayed.

2 Use ui to select “Picture Mode”, then press ENTER.

3 Use o p to select picture mode.

Off : No picture quality adjustment is done with this unit.

Standard : The standard mode suited for most living room viewing

environments.

Movie : A mode suited for watching movies in a dark room such as

a theater room.

Vivid : A mode that makes graphic images for games, etc. brighter

and more vivid.

Streaming : A mode suited for low bit rate video sources.

Custom : Adjusts the picture quality manually.

4 Press ENTER.

The display returns to the playback screen.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
"Pass Through can be configured to the last active HDMI or be permanently fixed to one of the HDMI inputs. Therefore, switching inputs in Pass Through is not possible. Owners Manual Pg. 164.
Pass Through Source
"

Thanks for the help man!

"Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_duck View Post

Set Video Processing to 'Off' for that HDMI input Pg. 110 "

This isn't correct. Maybe you misunderstood what I meant by bypassing the vp....I mean the actual work done by the vp. Those settings you listed only affect the type of 'tv mode' the receiver will be in. I already played through those settings are they are exactly like a tvs picture mode ..."Movie" ..."Dynamic"...etc It just changes the color temp of the picture. has nothing to with the real vp functions such as conversion and interalcing.

But I did manage to find the answer by calling Denon and speaking to the customer support. The guy was VERY helpful in fact. I was expecting a rude person with a rudimentary knowledge of the software. Complete opposite. He even explained why the receiver cant feature a multiple independent hdmi pass through feature. It will simply consume too much power in standy mode.

Anyways, to bypass the vp you need to turn off the i/p scaler under the output settings sub menu.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't misunderstand your question on bypassing VP, but completely brain farted the response. I'm still working through the manual and will post the correct section when I find it :).

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
So i was playing around with the bi-amping feature on the x4000 today. I have a 2.0 setup right now ( Polk rti12s in full range ).

By bi-amping the speakers, are they:

1. Receiving twice the power? Is bi-amping within the same receiver considered additive? ( so, 125 watts @ 8 ohms to 250 watts @ 8 ohms )

2. OR does it effectively lower the wattage per binding post set ( Hi and low ) because it is coming from the same power source?

I just didnt know and was afraid to push the receiver further

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis