First Official Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver Review is Live!

D

Darkwing_duck

Audioholic
Wow that was a REALLY helpful list.

"2. The 4520 has better build quality; it's built in Japan (not China) and has higher quality speaker binding posts for example"

Just the binding posts eh? I still dont even know what built in Japan is suppose to mean. The x4000 seems well built too unless the built in japan label means more precisioned assembly/tighter part tolerances and such. Then thats something I could dig!

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
"2. The 4520 has better build quality; it's built in Japan (not China) and has higher quality speaker binding posts for example"

Just the binding posts eh? I still dont even know what built in Japan is suppose to mean. The x4000 seems well built too unless the built in japan label means more precisioned assembly/tighter part tolerances and such. Then thats something I could dig!
IMO, the 4520's features that matter are when compared to X4000,
11 channel processing
9 amp channels with unmatched amp assign flexibility
4 Ohm rated amps
4 Zones with more zone flexibility
Built in 4 port Ethernet Hub.

Other features like 32 bit DACs, AL32 processing, Made in Japan, better build quality and possibly better reliability, cannot be easily assessed from an objective cost/benefit perspective. These are unique to the buyer.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I can tell you from professional experience, Built in Japan, China, Mexico, USA, etc is not necessarily an indication of quality. It can be an indication of a company's Quality policy, requirements, and efficiency of Quality management.

Every time we opened a new mfg facility, whether it was in a different country or not, there was a learning curve for the new operators/engineers. In our case, finished goods were tested/inspected 100% until the failure rate met our criteria. So while there was a significant ramp in output volume of a new site, there was no difference in quality. (I use past tense here only because I am recently retired.)

So if a company moves production to a new country and quality suffers, it is the fault of the Quality Mgmt of that company, not an indication of shoddy workmanship in that country.

elwaylite

elwaylite

Audioholic
Great read. I think the X4000 is landing on the top of my list for a preamp (have an Outlaw 7125). I had considered an AV7701 marantz, but do not personally see the cost difference being worth it with the lack of XT32 and sub eq (I plan on a second sub next year).

32bit DAC's may be nice, but this is all new to me and the preamp's with those are way out of my budget.

surveyor

surveyor

Audioholic Chief
The Denon USA site has the AVRX4000 for $949.00 and the AVR4311ci for $1,199.00 in thier refurbished products section.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
IMO, the 4520's features that matter are when compared to X4000,
11 channel processing
9 amp channels with unmatched amp assign flexibility
4 Ohm rated amps
4 Zones with more zone flexibility
Built in 4 port Ethernet Hub.

Other features like 32 bit DACs, AL32 processing, Made in Japan, better build quality and possibly better reliability, cannot be easily assessed from an objective cost/benefit perspective. These are unique to the buyer.
Some people may convince themselves that the pseudo preamp mode helps sound quality, but that would fall under the "unique to the buyer..." too.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Some people may convince themselves that the pseudo preamp mode helps sound quality, but that would fall under the "unique to the buyer..." too.
The receiver only disconnects the amps from inputs without shutting them off. I wonder why Denon chose to implement it like that?

pg_rider

pg_rider

Audioholic
The Denon USA site has the AVRX4000 for $949.00 and the AVR4311ci for $1,199.00 in thier refurbished products section.
If going the refurb route you can get get a better price on the X4000 from A4L...

D

dwaleke

Enthusiast
There are a few sites that sell the X4000 for ~$899 shipped new.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The receiver only disconnects the amps from inputs without shutting them off. I wonder why Denon chose to implement it like that?
I read that before but not sure if it is just internet hearsay or fact. Page 98 of the manual says "When the preamplifier mode is used, the built-in amplifier operation of this unit is stopped, and interference to the preamplifier from the power amplifier can be reduced".

I believe most people won't notice a difference regardless. it is a feature that may make some people happier, but then those people probably don't believe in AVR to begin with.:D

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
I read that before but not sure if it is just internet hearsay or fact. Page 98 of the manual says "When the preamplifier mode is used, the built-in amplifier operation of this unit is stopped, and interference to the preamplifier from the power amplifier can be reduced".
In typical Owner Manual style, that's neither here nor there. I'll PM Gene and see if he can get someone from Denon to give an unequivocal response.
I believe most people won't notice a difference regardless. it is a feature that may make some people happier, but then those people probably don't believe in AVR to begin with.:D
True. This is mostly a gimmick since one can buy a dedicated pre-pro for the cost of that AVR.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In typical Owner Manual style, that's neither here nor there. I'll PM Gene and see if he can get someone from Denon to give an unequivocal response.
True. This is mostly a gimmick since one can buy a dedicated pre-pro for the cost of that AVR.
Thanks in advance. By the way turning off the power amp completely does has some "green" merit and should help the unit run a touch (very little I guess) cooler. Even just disconnecting the input has some green merit but not much at all, just a side note, still nothing to do with SQ. I suppose it also depends on the power supply design, if the prepro section has its own completely independent power supply then in preamp mode I would expect the power amp side power supply to be deenergized, in theory anyway. I do doubt that is the case for the 4311 and 4520 but I am sure Gene could find out if he wants to.

Y

YAGI1980

Audiophyte
Hello.
I have a Denon AVR X4000 but I don't now how to manually setup speakers impedance to 8 ohms.
Please a little help!
Tnx!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis