First Official Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver Review is Live!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It's not a deal breaker for most people (I only do 5.2), but it's just funny how they would put pre-outs for 11.2, but make it only capable of 9.2.

I guess the Denon 4311 can do 11.2 (among other things), and if I were buying now, I would probably get the 4311 for ~ $1225 delivered. I wonder what most people would do?

Well, actually, I would probably just try to find a 3312/3313 new or open box (not refurbished) for about $600. :D

Heck, Amazon will probably sell the 3313 for $550 clearance soon. :D
I use 7.2 and am very happy with it. I would like to try 11.2 to see what the hype is about, but my room is pretty small for that many speakers. Maybe some day.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I gave you the answer (9 only not 11, the extra 2 are only there for convenience) more than once, but of course you shouldn't belive me since I have been wrong before.:D
Well, I was hoping for actual application, not theoretical or what Denon says. ;)

I was hoping someone would actually literally physically hook up 11 speakers and 2 subs and see if all 11 speakers would play. :D

Of course, there is no content for even 9.2, so everything above 7.1 is MATRIXED anyway.

A

AVTguy

Audioholic Intern
NO SUB in STEREO MODE??

Nice review Cliff!

I'd really love to see some Audioholics.com rated power spec's on this unit, since you all do that so well (read GENE GET ON IT!!)

Question for you about the Subwoofer issue in Stereo Mode.

Did you set the sub-woofer section to "LFE+MAIN"?

If the sub-woofer parameters are not changed in DENON AVRs from "LFE" to "LFE+MAIN" DENON AVRs send ZERO info to the sub. Only when the receiver sees .1/LFE info, or get a forced kick-in from a DSP will they play if this setting hasn't been done.

If you still have the unit available I'd try this out and see if the problem exists still when in STERO/DIRECT modes.

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the review... REALLY GOOD STUFF.

-Adam

Cliff_is

Cliff_is

Audioholics Content Manager
Nice review Cliff!

I'd really love to see some Audioholics.com rated power spec's on this unit, since you all do that so well (read GENE GET ON IT!!)

Question for you about the Subwoofer issue in Stereo Mode.

Did you set the sub-woofer section to "LFE+MAIN"?

If the sub-woofer parameters are not changed in DENON AVRs from "LFE" to "LFE+MAIN" DENON AVRs send ZERO info to the sub. Only when the receiver sees .1/LFE info, or get a forced kick-in from a DSP will they play if this setting hasn't been done.

If you still have the unit available I'd try this out and see if the problem exists still when in STERO/DIRECT modes.

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the review... REALLY GOOD STUFF.

-Adam
Thanks!

You might have to wait for a long time on the measurements, unless Gene wants to make a trip to Kansas.

I talked to Denon about the issue in stereo mode and it seems to have been a bug. I set all speakers to small, and sub to "LFE+MAIN", but couldn't get anything to the sub. In stereo or direct modes. I think it was after I ran Audyssey that I was able to get it to work, can't quite remember, it just started working. Something to watch and see if other people experience the same issue.

J

Jottle

Audioholic Intern
I really think it's a crime that 7.1 analog inputs are basically non-existent on AVR's these days unless you'll looking at the ~$2000 top of the line models. I suppose any good surround processor would have these at a lower price point. But I just think 7.1 inputs should be standard on a AVR with an MSRP over $1000. It's not as if 7.1 analog out sources aren't being produced anymore. Oppo's blu-ray players all have 7.1 outputs with superior DAC's. There's no way to take advantage of those DAC's if there's no 7.1 inputs on your receiver. I think if this model is supposed to appeal to such a wide range of buyers, including audiophiles, then having no 7.1 inputs is kind of strange.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, I was hoping for actual application, not theoretical or what Denon says. ;)

I was hoping someone would actually literally physically hook up 11 speakers and 2 subs and see if all 11 speakers would play. :D

Of course, there is no content for even 9.2, so everything above 7.1 is MATRIXED anyway.
I totally understand your point. If you only know how hopeful, and then how disappointed I was in the end from the time I pulled the trigger on the AV7005 to the point I realized the 2 extra channels, height and width, are only there for convenience so the users don't have to play with the connections when switching between the surround back, surround, width and height. At least the AVR-4000 provides 4 additional connections instead of the 7005's 2, so one can have the surround back and height 'or' (but not 'and') width, or both width, height plus either surround 'or' surround back simultaneously, whereas with the 7005, if one wants to try out just the height 'or' width, one must give up the surround back, or surround. I am not sure if the limiting factors are the DSP chips that does not have the required raw power (MIPS) to handle the extra channels.

C

cembros

Audiophyte
Any thoughts about the upcoming HDMI 2.0 spec? Don't know much about it but for anyone in the know, is this something I should wait for?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Denon's new batch of receivers is out, and we've got the first review of the AVR-X4000! The link to the full review is below, but, in short, it's pretty awesome. We think it's worth the extra cash over the AVR-X3000, and represents a great balance between features and quality.

Read our Denon AVR-X4000 Receiver Review
This really is an excellent review, among the best I have ever read, objective, functional and no fluff words. It would have been nice though if lab measurements are included.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
is this a direct replacement of the 4520 or a lower model?

this looks nice enough for my brother's under construction HT.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Dude, it's stated in the FIRST sentence of the introduction. :p :D Just messing with you. Cliff says that it replaces the 3313.
heehee my bad. i don't read text. i like pictures :D

for receivers, i just like looking at the rear image of the AVR, and i'll know if it fits me or not. (preouts, HDMI ins and out, etc)

and the 3313 was a 28xx replacement? or a 38xx replacement? (just trying to gauge how far off it is to my 3808)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess the Denon 4311 can do 11.2 (among other things), and if I were buying now, I would probably get the 4311 for ~ $1225 delivered. I wonder what most people would do?

Well, actually, I would probably just try to find a 3312/3313 new or open box (not refurbished) for about $600. :D

Heck, Amazon will probably sell the 3313 for $550 clearance soon. :D
The 4000 has newer features such as 4K and Instapreview but the 4311 has 11.2 processing, 7.1 analog in, 9 channel of amps vs 7 for the 4000, 4 ohm rated, and plays HDCD for people who owns them.

So I would definitely get the 4311 for 1225 delivered if it is a new one with full Denon warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think the 4000-naming is fooling people (at first) into thinking it's actually a true 4xxx model.

I don't like that game. They should have kept it 3xxx.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
heehee my bad. i don't read text. i like pictures :D

for receivers, i just like looking at the rear image of the AVR, and i'll know if it fits me or not. (preouts, HDMI ins and out, etc)

and the 3313 was a 28xx replacement? or a 38xx replacement? (just trying to gauge how far off it is to my 3808)
It replaces the 3312,3311,3310 (not sure if that one existed), and the 28XX. The 4520 replaces the 4311, 4310, 3808 but it is a major upgrade at the same time, along with a big price jump as well. In a sense, the 4520 seems to be the replacement for both the 4311 and 4810 as long as we can get pass its much lighter weight, around 7 to 8 lbs lighter than the 4810.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The 4000 has newer features such as 4K and Instapreview but the 4311 has 11.2 processing, 7.1 analog in, 9 channel of amps vs 7 for the 4000, 4 ohm rated, and plays HDCD for people who owns them.

So I would definitely get the 4311 for 1225 delivered if it is a new one with full Denon warranty.
I implicitly concur. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It replaces the 3312,3311,3310 (not sure if that one existed), and the 28XX. The 4520 replaces the 4311, 4310, 3808. The 4810 replaces the 4308.
I actually sold TWO Denon 3310 on Craigslist a few months ago for ~ $450 each. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the 4000-naming is fooling people (at first) into thinking it's actually a true 4xxx model.

I don't like that game. They should have kept it 3xxx.
They did the same going from the 2809 to 3310, and from 3808 to 4310. The 4306 and 4308 seems to follow a different rule though.

I

istrompf

Audiophyte
Gonna be using an external amp - so disregarding the amp in the X4000 and 4520, does the x4000 sound as good as the 4520? If not, how close?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gonna be using an external amp - so disregarding the amp in the X4000 and 4520, does the x4000 sound as good as the 4520? If not, how close?
If you can't see them, in pure direct, they will sound the same to most people, whether you use their amps or external amps unless you are really pushing the amps limits. To those with golden ears, the 4520 should be more accurate, whether that is better or not would depend on the listener's personal preference.

I

istrompf

Audiophyte
Anyone have any idea the audio quality of the x4000 compared to the emo umc-200?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis