Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Oppo has managed to keep the new BDP-103 at the same $499 price point as the older BDP-93. That's a pretty amazing feat considering all the video features. With deal HDMI inputs and three USB inputs, the Marvell Qdeo 4k upscaling and 2D to 3D conversion is going to get a lot of use. With the BDP-105, Oppo had to increase their asking price to an estimated $1199 ($200 more than the BDP-95). With the ability to be used as a USB DAC, a dedicated headphone amp, and upgraded audio components, the BDP-105 should be just as popular with the audiophile crowd as the previous model.

Discuss "Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players Preview" here. Read the article.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Was hoping to hear they had Amazon VOD too! Oh well still very close to perfect.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I may have to break down and get the 103. No info on their site though. Is there a release date?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Once again, I find myself wanting to catch the Oppo fever - the reviews are almost exclusively positive on them. They seem like great products. If I bought one, I might realize why they're worth $300+ more than players that have the same (or more) features, but I can't quite convince myself it's worth it.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Once again, I find myself wanting to catch the Oppo fever - the reviews are almost exclusively positive on them. They seem like great products. If I bought one, I might realize why they're worth $300+ more than players that have the same (or more) features, but I can't quite convince myself it's worth it.
I turned in my $4k Denon blu-ray player for a BDP-95 and haven't looked back. I don't miss the reliability issues I had with my Denon nor the sluggish response it had. I do miss the fact that the Denon have every output activated at once and even spit out high res video/audio from both HDMI outputs simultaneously. This is something Oppo can't do unfortunately.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Oppo used to be the place to get a great universal player for a great price. Since Blu-ray they are decidedly more high end and priced many out of their range. Although still a good value I just think "diminishing returns" and I can't bring myself to buy one.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I turned in my $4k Denon blu-ray player for a BDP-95 and haven't looked back.
I'd be going the other way financially, stepping up from a $200 (back in 2009, so probably a $100 player now). It probably all comes down to my usage, and I just don't have the screen size to warrant the added video processing.

Oppo used to be the place to get a great universal player for a great price. Since Blu-ray they are decidedly more high end and priced many out of their range. Although still a good value I just think "diminishing returns" and I can't bring myself to buy one.
That was my feeling, too. I own an Oppo that cost me about $180 that will play most things besides blu-ray (including being a region-free player). To me, that was well worth it. I love playing SACD and DVD-A over HDMI. Now, if I didn't already have that player, the current batch of Oppo's might just sway me.

B

braddds

Audiophyte
103 info updated on OPPO site

You can now pre register for the 103 on the Oppo site

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I registered 103 will come out in Oct. in time for my bday.:D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
May have to pick up a 103 and keep the 83SE as an audio player :) Oppo is just a few minutes from where I work.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I thought it was very interesting that Oppo has kept the legacy component video outputs on their players. This is almost unheard of in the BD player realm these days and is great to see.

Oppo players are getting more and more use in the commercial market where RS-232 control and legacy connections are a requirement for many jobs. This is a solution that remains in place and we probably installed 20-30 last year, with more coming in future years.

Still, don't have one in my home, but my PS3 is still working fine.

K

kesando

Junior Audioholic
Dang. My BDP-93 is only less than 3 months old!:p

If my current TV is not 4K capable (Elite LCD) and is already capable of 2D-3D conversion, is it worth the upgrade to the BDP-103?

I have no plans to upgrade my display ANY time soon.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
May have to pick up a 103 and keep the 83SE as an audio player :) Oppo is just a few minutes from where I work.
John,

that would be a very interesting A/B comparision, in order to "see" how much better the video processing will be...
Audiowise a fair comparison too, so... take your time though... ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
John,

that would be a very interesting A/B comparision, in order to "see" how much better the video processing will be...
Audiowise a fair comparison too, so... take your time though... ;)
Most likely going to wait until the full specs for the 105 are up and I just signed up for the email for that one. Once I see that, I will ponder. The 83SE doesn't do 3D, so I've been using the PS3 for that, but would like the BD player to have that capability too. My TV does 2D-3D conversion pretty well, but I don't see that as a big benefit, though I am curious about the 4K capability. I just noticed the wireless part as well...

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Has anyone heard if the BDP-105 can pass through SACD from either the coax or optical out? This has been an annoyance for me from the BDP-95.

DJ

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Has anyone heard if the BDP-105 can pass through SACD from either the coax or optical out? This has been an annoyance for me from the BDP-95.

DJ
There is no player in existence that can do that.

B

bakerwi

Audiophyte
What players are you aware that cost $300 less than the Oppo with the same or more features?:confused:

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What players are you aware that cost $300 less than the Oppo with the same or more features?:confused:
I suppose some Sony models could qualify, for those who are sure DVD-A, and multichannel analog outputs are of absolutely no use to them therefore could discount those as features.:D

Last edited:
B

bakerwi

Audiophyte
I suppose some Sony models could qualify, for those who are sure DVD-A is of absolutely no use to them.:D
I own a Sony BDP-S790 and a BDP-S5000ES. I won't include the BDP-S5000ES in any discussions, but for it's time it is still a solid transport for what it was designed to do and I will not be parting with it. The Sony BDP-S790 is very nice for its price point, but the edge it has over the current BDP-93 is more streaming partners (which I don't require) and 4K upscaling, which is but a dream for the vast majority of videophiles. The BDP-103 completely blows the Sony BDP-S790 out of the water and well worth upcharge if you require its feature set. However, I would have no problem endorsing the Sony if you are looking for a solid blu-ray transport.

A BDP-103 is definately in my future as I already own a BDP-95.:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis