Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players Preview

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
If you are just wanting SACD/DVD-A I'd say get a used Oppo Digital DV-970H or 980H.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A BDP-103 is definately in my future as I already own a BDP-95.:)
I own a 95 too but have no reason to get the 103, may be the 105, but still not likely because the 95 is already giving me more than I need.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Right, not in the original DSD, but the OPPO won't even convert it to PCM to pass through.

DJ
Same answer, NO player will do this. I believe it is part of the spec of SACD and DVD-A; the connections are technically capable of it, but are not permitted to pass it. I've owned 7 or 8 SACD players over the years, including 3 currently, and none of them can do it.

majorloser

majorloser

What's the chances of getting one of these babys at the GTG next month????

We could definitely test out the BDP-105 for both video and two-channel audio with all the equipment that will be there.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Same answer, NO player will do this. I believe it is part of the spec of SACD and DVD-A; the connections are technically capable of it, but are not permitted to pass it. I've owned 7 or 8 SACD players over the years, including 3 currently, and none of them can do it.

Odd, my Macbook does it and passes the signal through to my external DAC in PCM. O well, maybe I'll sell the DAC and the BDP-95 and upgrade to the new unit when it comes out.

DJ

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am sure that has to do with the Mac :) For sure no standalone players can. Are you sure the Mac is not just reading the CD layer?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
What players are you aware that cost $300 less than the Oppo with the same or more features?:confused:
Oops, my statement wasn't quite what I meant. :eek: I meant has all the features that I want, like blu-ray and internet streaming (including Amazon VOD) with HDMI output. I already have an SACD/DVD-A player, but those can be had for $100-$150 (including used Oppos).

I wasn't saying this was a useless product, not at all - just not useful enough to me for me to pay $500 for it. I want to want it, but I'm just not there, yet.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Detailed Q&A Interview Coming

Guys;

I'm working on a detailed Q&A with Oppo on these new players. It will go live shortly and it should answer most of your questions.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Oops, my statement wasn't quite what I meant. :eek: I meant has all the features that I want, like blu-ray and internet streaming (including Amazon VOD) with HDMI output. I already have an SACD/DVD-A player, but those can be had for $100-$150 (including used Oppos).

I wasn't saying this was a useless product, not at all - just not useful enough to me for me to pay $500 for it. I want to want it, but I'm just not there, yet.
I guessed what you meant and was almost 100%correct except I thought you included SACD thinking that very few people nowadays pay attention to DVDA, MCH analog and CV outs.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I guessed what you meant and was almost 100%correct except I thought you included SACD thinking that very few people nowadays pay attention to DVDA, MCH analog and CV outs.
You should give yourself 100% credit. :) I was also thinking SACD because of those Sony players, but I just could remember if they also did all of the streaming services that I want...so I copped out on my last post.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I may change my mind and go for the 103 if it can be used as a separate standalone DAC, only because I don't have a single separate DAC yet. I no longer value the 95's higher end DACs as much as I used to because I now realize I really cannot hear much of a difference between it, my Denon 3910 (Burr Brown's) and even my little cheap Sony BDP-S380 that probably has no name brand DACs in it.:D

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I am sure that has to do with the Mac :) For sure no standalone players can. Are you sure the Mac is not just reading the CD layer?
Crap Dude, I'm not sure. I'll have to load one my SACD only discs in to verify.

DJ

R

rushwj

Audioholic
With the dacs and analogue inputs, could you use this 105 as a dac for streaming from computer or sonos?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think I may change my mind and go for the 103 if it can be used as a separate standalone DAC, only because I don't have a single separate DAC yet. I no longer value the 95's higher end DACs as much as I used to because I now realize I really cannot hear much of a difference between it, my Denon 3910 (Burr Brown's) and even my little cheap Sony BDP-S380 that probably has no name brand DACs in it.:D
The 103 appears to have 3 USB ports but makes no mention about it being able to be used as a DAC, only that it can play music via USB.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The 103 appears to have 3 USB ports but makes no mention about it being able to be used as a DAC, only that it can play music via USB.
I guess they may only see benefits in implementing that feature on the 105 because of its higher end DAC. I have thought about this some more and am beginning to change my mind again, that the DAC feature won't really do much for me because more and more I am using my 95 to stream via DLNA or play from USB drives so it is kind of being used mainly like a DAC already. I can't think of how and why I would need a standalone DAC.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A good quality stand alone DAC can be pretty pricey and it would be nice to have it built into that one device, but not sure I really need that capability either; aka not so much a selling point for me. Hopefully we can get a better idea once formal specs are released.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
You're right, it must have been reading the 16bit layer. I loaded one of my SACD Only discs in and it spit it back out at me :(. O well.

DJ

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You're right, it must have been reading the 16bit layer. I loaded one of my SACD Only discs in and it spit it back out at me :(. O well.

DJ
Makes you question whether SACD is worth it? Since you didn't seem to notice the SQ difference?

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Makes you question whether SACD is worth it? Since you didn't seem to notice the SQ difference?
Don't think I even really listened to it to be honest. Just checked to see if the signal was going from point A to B, and was satisfied when it played at all.

DJ

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis