Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players Preview

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Makes you question whether SACD is worth it? Since you didn't seem to notice the SQ difference?
I questioned that long ago. I still prefer them and use them as an indicator, that people may be less incline to implement it in SACD format unless the original recording is good. As I reported before,many CDs in my collection has better sound quality than a few of my SACDs so I know the recording quality itself is much more important than the format/technology.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
With the dacs and analogue inputs, could you use this 105 as a dac for streaming from computer or sonos?
Ya. That's probably what I'll end up doing - just not this year.

DJ

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I questioned that long ago. I still prefer them and use them as an indicator, that people may be less incline to implement it in SACD format unless the original recording is good. As I reported before,many CDs in my collection has better sound quality than a few of my SACDs so I know the recording quality itself is much more important than the format/technology.
Agreed - my SACD copy of Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road couldn't leave my collection fast enough. I dunno if it was just a bad pressing, or what, but it sounded like hammered crap compared to the redbook version.

DJ

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

Don't think I even really listened to it to be honest. Just checked to see if the signal was going from point A to B, and was satisfied when it played at all.

DJ
I always just bought the SACDs and ripped the CD layer so I could listen to those tracks on other devices. On some discs there is clearly a difference between the SACD and CD tracks, but not all. Some are so close (meaning good master/engineer) that the SACD portion only added subtle improvements that many, including myself, don't find it justified. So the answer isn't that simple as it varies from disc to disc. That's why there are discs that are highly prized for SQ while others are still sitting on shelves somewhere.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I just noticed that you're in Conroe. You ever try the Southern Star Beers? Good stuff.
I think you asked me that awhile back. I haven't really been here in Conroe very much lately - been traveling a lot, actually up in your neck of the woods, but it's definitely is on my short list.

DJ

G

garigipati

Audiophyte
Could someone enlighten me as to which of BDP 103 Vs Sony PS3 would be better in terms of video upgrading? Further, does Sony PS3 have an HDMI input to take my set top box signals and upgrade them before passing them to my TV?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think you asked me that awhile back. I haven't really been here in Conroe very much lately - been traveling a lot, actually up in your neck of the woods, but it's definitely is on my short list.

DJ
Yeah. I think you may have changed your avatar pic since then, so it threw me off.

H

Hikmer00

Audiophyte
Professional reviews on Oppo 103?

Are there any professional reviews on the new Oppo? I just purchased the 103 and find the analogue output a tad soft in the bass compared to my MSB Link DAC (yeah who knew this thing woudl give me so much life). Does anyone think the 105 will be an improvement that a two channel person will find impressive?

B

bakerwi

Audiophyte
Are there any professional reviews on the new Oppo? I just purchased the 103 and find the analogue output a tad soft in the bass compared to my MSB Link DAC (yeah who knew this thing woudl give me so much life). Does anyone think the 105 will be an improvement that a two channel person will find impressive?
Due to the subjective nature of the question only you can decide.:)

H

Hikmer00

Audiophyte
Due to the subjective nature of the question only you can decide.:)
Actually I completely disagree with you. A good write up on this device would prove to be both informative and enlightening for a two channel enthusiast...otherwise what would be the point of this forum?

Anyone else out there have comparisons on other equipment, or reviews to share? Subjective or objective...really doesn't matter to me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The lower model from Oppo in these sort of player has never been the choice for 2ch audio and is not targeted at the audio spectrum of consumers. If it were, there would be little reason to have the higher model. So it would seem if audio was what you were after, you probably should have waited for the 105 to come out or at least reviews.

H

Hikmer00

Audiophyte
Thanks for your feedback, I was just hoping it might sound better than my 10 year old MSB DAC but overall it just comes close. Yes I am going for the 105 since they offer 30 return policy and I can't seem to find any good reviews of either model. I would expect someone to have a 105 already that should do a review soon?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The 105 is not out for the public AFAIK (maybe beta testers), and the 103 has only been out for a few weeks. Reviews will likely take a little while. As a former beta tester for them on the 83/83SE, you cannot publicly discuss the product while it is in beta. Since Gene worked with Oppo previously on the 93/95, AH may be one of the earliest full reviews we see. I am on the email list for the 105 to be notified when they have a date for its release.

B

bakerwi

Audiophyte
Actually I completely disagree with you. A good write up on this device would prove to be both informative and enlightening for a two channel enthusiast...otherwise what would be the point of this forum?

Anyone else out there have comparisons on other equipment, or reviews to share? Subjective or objective...really doesn't matter to me.
How would my subjective opinion about a transport (especially audio) in my setup benefit you?:eek: No two rooms are alike even if they house the same equipment.:confused:

H

Hikmer00

Audiophyte
Just don't bother responding then...it woudl seem you are far too enlightened to help in the conversation.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
The lower model from Oppo in these sort of player has never been the choice for 2ch audio and is not targeted at the audio spectrum of consumers. If it were, there would be little reason to have the higher model. So it would seem if audio was what you were after, you probably should have waited for the 105 to come out or at least reviews.
I like that the 105 has multi channel RCA outputs. I've been thinking about buying a multi channel SACD player, with the Sony 5400 at the top of my list. Thing is, I do not have HDMI inputs on my pre/pro, which I need to enjoy multi channel sound from the Sony. I do however have a Sony TA-P9000 analog multi channel preamp which will work with the 105 and also allow me to benefit from the latest soundfields.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
All of their models have since the 981HD (SD DVD player), IIRC. Both the 103 and 105 do.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis