Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105 Universal Blu-ray Players Preview

m-leon

m-leon

Audiophyte
My subjective testing of Oppo 105

Hi, I read/use audioholics for a long time now, and finally I thought I should return my due. Recently I received the oppo 105 and did some testing, perhaps someone would find it interesting or useful.

My setup includes
Yamaha Aventage 3010 receiver with
B&W DM603 S2 fronts (they are biamped and have active subwoofers, receiving the subwoofer pre out out from yamaha).

B&W LCR6 S2 Center

B&W DM602 S3 -s for surround

The system was calibrated with ypao.
I also used my mac book pro with Fidelia and Izotope upsampling set up to max (192khz if connected to oppo via usb), and PS3 with 178khz upsampling connected via HDMI.

Here are my preliminary tests(subjective of course).

The big formula is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
L >> J =G >=H >> F > D >= E > > > N > > I >=O

Here the letters stand for different connections and media I tested:

B) Oppo blue ray true hd ->decoded in oppo, DAC-ed in oppo multichannel analogue out -> yamaha just amplifies the analog input

C) PS3 blue ray true hd ->bitstream via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the dolby true hd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MP3 256Kbps bought in itunes (Adele 19, 21 and many more).

D) Oppo palying from usb stick ->bitstream via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the stream (44.1khz)

E) Oppo palying from usb stick ->LPCM via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the lpcm (44.1 khz)

F) PS3 palying from usb stick ->upscales to it's max 178khz -> LPCM via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the lpcm

Mp3 from fidelia - note that it was not possible to upsample higher than 96khz in fidela with optical connection I) bellow !!!
-----------------
G) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> bitstream via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the stream

H) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> lpcm via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the lpcm

I) Mac fidelia upsamples to 96khz -> Oppo via usb -> bitstream via OPTICAL -> yamaha decodes and dacs

J) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> OPPO multichannel dac -> yamaha amplifies multichannel (only front left and right working)

K) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> OPPO STEREO dedicated dac -> yamaha multichannel input - > yamha analog amplification only - though I would cheat - use the oppo stero dac for the front left right and the multichannel dac for the rest, somehaow the quality was worse than the case bellow L)

L) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> OPPO STEREO dedicated dac -> yamaha stereo input -> yamha amplifies the stereo analog input only!

N) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> mac built in dac -> analogue output to yamaha stereo input -> yamha amplifies the stereo analog input only!

O) Mac fidelia upsamples to 96khz -> mac built in optcial -> optical input of yamaha -> yamha dacs and amplifies

--------------------------

______________________________________________________________________________________
Blue ray - Results
-----------------------

A) >= B) this one was seriously pushing the limits of my speakers /ears! very very hard to tell apart, with three likely explanations
1) I guess yamaha does a great job on the DTS master and dolby true hd decoding (it's main job! after amplification) and multichannel DAC-ing,

2) oppo decodes worse than yamaha and even it's DAC's advantage over yamaha does not compensate

3) better yet and most likely - only oppo's dedicated stereo dac part is significantly better than yamaha's, and their multichannel DAC performance are about equal. Kind of makes sense, since yamah is a multichannel receiver, built for multichannel sound, so performs as well as oppo's one chip configuration for multi channel.
On the other hand oppo's dedicated stereo board uses on whole 8 channel sabre dac in dual-differential mode just for those two channels! this level of dac is only seen on expensive dedicated dacs and processors as far as I know.

B)>C) for some reason (maybe subjective)

Also side note - A) allows the use of yamaha's fantastic 9 Stereo hd DSP!
______________________________________________________________________________________

MP3 Results
----------------

L) is the absolute champion ! Nothing even comes close!

L) > > J) >> K) - something is wrong with K!

J) = G) !!! that is again, according to my notes, it seems
yamaha's multichannel DACs + HDMI transport = OPPO's multichannel DAC + Analogue transport

Of course can be my analogue rca cables, however it is unlikely since they are short and same cables yield better results for oppo in stereo configuration!

G)> = H)

H) > > F) Fidelia is the absolute winner, followed by the PS3, which also does some sort of upsampling

F) > D)>= E) - VERY surprising - PS3 plays the mp3 almost better than the oppo, though they are very close,
even though ps3's upsampling gives a tiny edge to PS3 (ps3 without upsampling is nothing special).

E) > > > N) > > I) >= O) - sorry - even oppo's optical out sucked, the built in one was the worst quality I heard today.

Best regards,
M-Leon

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
Oppo used to be the place to get a great universal player for a great price. Since Blu-ray they are decidedly more high end and priced many out of their range. Although still a good value I just think "diminishing returns" and I can't bring myself to buy one.

I agree I found the Oppo 93 via HDMI to be not as good as the Sony BDP-1000ES . The latest Sony BDP-790 is much better value IMO. via HDMI tthere is no difference between the 93 &the 103 confirmed by Oppo Support.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Hi, I read/use audioholics for a long time now, and finally I thought I should return my due. Recently I received the oppo 105 and did some testing, perhaps someone would find it interesting or useful.

My setup includes
Yamaha Aventage 3010 receiver with
B&W DM603 S2 fronts (they are biamped and have active subwoofers, receiving the subwoofer pre out out from yamaha).

B&W LCR6 S2 Center

B&W DM602 S3 -s for surround

The system was calibrated with ypao.
I also used my mac book pro with Fidelia and Izotope upsampling set up to max (192khz if connected to oppo via usb), and PS3 with 178khz upsampling connected via HDMI.

Here are my preliminary tests(subjective of course).

The big formula is:

L >> J =G >=H >> F > D >= E > > > N > > I >=O

Here the letters stand for different connections and media I tested:

B) Oppo blue ray true hd ->decoded in oppo, DAC-ed in oppo multichannel analogue out -> yamaha just amplifies the analog input

C) PS3 blue ray true hd ->bitstream via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the dolby true hd

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MP3 256Kbps bought in itunes (Adele 19, 21 and many more).

D) Oppo palying from usb stick ->bitstream via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the stream (44.1khz)

E) Oppo palying from usb stick ->LPCM via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the lpcm (44.1 khz)

F) PS3 palying from usb stick ->upscales to it's max 178khz -> LPCM via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the lpcm

Mp3 from fidelia - note that it was not possible to upsample higher than 96khz in fidela with optical connection I) bellow !!!
-----------------
G) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> bitstream via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the stream

H) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> lpcm via hdmi -> yamaha decodes the lpcm

I) Mac fidelia upsamples to 96khz -> Oppo via usb -> bitstream via OPTICAL -> yamaha decodes and dacs

J) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> OPPO multichannel dac -> yamaha amplifies multichannel (only front left and right working)

K) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> OPPO STEREO dedicated dac -> yamaha multichannel input - > yamha analog amplification only - though I would cheat - use the oppo stero dac for the front left right and the multichannel dac for the rest, somehaow the quality was worse than the case bellow L)

L) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> Oppo via usb -> OPPO STEREO dedicated dac -> yamaha stereo input -> yamha amplifies the stereo analog input only!

N) Mac fidelia upsamples to 192khz -> mac built in dac -> analogue output to yamaha stereo input -> yamha amplifies the stereo analog input only!

O) Mac fidelia upsamples to 96khz -> mac built in optcial -> optical input of yamaha -> yamha dacs and amplifies

--------------------------

Blue ray - Results
-----------------------

A) >= B) this one was seriously pushing the limits of my speakers /ears! very very hard to tell apart, with three likely explanations
1) I guess yamaha does a great job on the DTS master and dolby true hd decoding (it's main job! after amplification) and multichannel DAC-ing,

2) oppo decodes worse than yamaha and even it's DAC's advantage over yamaha does not compensate

3) better yet and most likely - only oppo's dedicated stereo dac part is significantly better than yamaha's, and their multichannel DAC performance are about equal. Kind of makes sense, since yamah is a multichannel receiver, built for multichannel sound, so performs as well as oppo's one chip configuration for multi channel.
On the other hand oppo's dedicated stereo board uses on whole 8 channel sabre dac in dual-differential mode just for those two channels! this level of dac is only seen on expensive dedicated dacs and processors as far as I know.

B)>C) for some reason (maybe subjective)

Also side note - A) allows the use of yamaha's fantastic 9 Stereo hd DSP!

MP3 Results
----------------

L) is the absolute champion ! Nothing even comes close!

L) > > J) >> K) - something is wrong with K!

J) = G) !!! that is again, according to my notes, it seems
yamaha's multichannel DACs + HDMI transport = OPPO's multichannel DAC + Analogue transport

Of course can be my analogue rca cables, however it is unlikely since they are short and same cables yield better results for oppo in stereo configuration!

G)> = H)

H) > > F) Fidelia is the absolute winner, followed by the PS3, which also does some sort of upsampling

F) > D)>= E) - VERY surprising - PS3 plays the mp3 almost better than the oppo, though they are very close,
even though ps3's upsampling gives a tiny edge to PS3 (ps3 without upsampling is nothing special).

E) > > > N) > > I) >= O) - sorry - even oppo's optical out sucked, the built in one was the worst quality I heard today.

Best regards,
M-Leon
Man, that's a helluva first post. Thanx for doing the leg work.

DJ

B

bakerwi

Audiophyte
I agree I found the Oppo 93 via HDMI to be not as good as the Sony BDP-1000ES . The latest Sony BDP-790 is much better value IMO. via HDMI tthere is no difference between the 93 &the 103 confirmed by Oppo Support.
So you found the Oppo BDP-93 to sound not as good as the Sony BDP-S1000ES via HDMI (assume bitstreaming)?:confused::eek:. As a previous owner of a Sony BDP-S1000ES I personally found it fell woefully short to wear the “ES” moniker and I quickly returned it. The only plus I found was the 5 year warranty.:)

Also, the Sony BDP-S790 is only a better value if you don’t require the additional features (DVD-A, 7.1 analog, excellent customer support and support for the multitude of user created media) afforded you by the Oppo (BDP-93 or BDP-103). For what the BDP-93/BDP103 does it is a bargain for those who require this specific feature set. All the current transports with this feature set MRSP for $500+. The Sony BDP-S790 is a very good transport and I would highly recommend it to anyone who’s basic requirements are only blu-ray and DVD playback.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
So you found the Oppo BDP-93 to sound not as good as the Sony BDP-S1000ES via HDMI (assume bitstreaming)?:confused::eek:.
Yep, if it is bitstreamed from both, there should be ZERO difference, since the receiver is doing the decoding in both cases :)

m-leon

m-leon

Audiophyte
corrections for the case K)

Basically in the case K) (my post above) I did a mistake when connecting K), reconnecting the original multichannel front left/right cables back to one of yamaha's analogue inputs for a test comparison to the stereo only output on the oppo. Once I re-read the manual, I noticed that in order to capitalize on oppo's dual sabre dacs, in addition to setting in the menu stereo out to front left/right from down mix and connecting the stereo only out of the oppo to the mulitchannel front of the yamaha, one needs to DISCONNECT the rca cables from oppo's multichannel front ! Now that I did it right, that configuration provides the best quality in stere AND in multichannel, now multichannel beating even the bleu ray dts hd master bitstreaming to yamaha!
COOL!

L

lavath

Enthusiast
vote for oppo gear $$$

sorry but I need 5 posts to show my home theater build page I made

B

BroncoAZ

Audiophyte
I am building a decent AV system for my home and was looking at buying a BD player. I did some searching and didn't find the answer: Is the CD audio on the BDP-103 good enough to replace a stand alone single disk CD player? Or would it sound better than a $300 stand alone CD player? I will be running the following:

Nad t757 receiver (already purchased)
PSB T6 towers, PSB 300 series sub, C5 center, B4 rears (not yet purchased, but heavily incentivized through a work related program)

I was looking at getting a Nad C 515BEE single disk CD player and just keeping my PS3 for BD duties, but the Oppo 103 looks appealing for Netflix and Pandora without the jet fighter sound of my PS3 fan. Use is 70% video (50% Netflix 20% BD) and 30% music, although with the new system I hope my music interest increases.

Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am building a decent AV system for my home and was looking at buying a BD player. I did some searching and didn't find the answer: Is the CD audio on the BDP-103 good enough to replace a stand alone single disk CD player? Or would it sound better than a $300 stand alone CD player? I will be running the following:

Nad t757 receiver (already purchased)
PSB T6 towers, PSB 300 series sub, C5 center, B4 rears (not yet purchased, but heavily incentivized through a work related program)

I was looking at getting a Nad C 515BEE single disk CD player and just keeping my PS3 for BD duties, but the Oppo 103 looks appealing for Netflix and Pandora without the jet fighter sound of my PS3 fan. Use is 70% video (50% Netflix 20% BD) and 30% music, although with the new system I hope my music interest increases.

Thanks
If you will be using HDMI or SPDIF for audio, then the 103 will be no different than any other player audio wise since the receiver will be doing the D to A. For analog audio, it should definitely be comparable to any other CD player in its price range. When I bought my 83 I was not disappointed with the analog section, though upgrading to the 83SE definitely improved on that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone seen any reviews comparing the 95 and the 105 yet? I am going to pull the trigger on the 105 soon but still not sure if I should keep the 95 or not.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
All I can say is the 105 does everything the 95 does plus more. You may want to sell the 95 while you can still get something for it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
All I can say is the 105 does everything the 95 does plus more. You may want to sell the 95 while you can still get something for it.
That makes sense, just that my 95 is hardly used, virtually brand new and tough to let go but it needs to be done..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis