Paradigm S8 VS ????

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
:)

Details?
Where does Alex live?
Well, that was a year ago, and my old mains. New revised ones are of even higher performance. Basically omnipolar room loading for entire audible bandwidth up to 20kHz; absolute non-resonant construction; 4 way active system in a room with acoustic treatment specifically set up/optimized for omni-polar speakers, including a large crosstalk reducing panel system in the room to reduce reflective crosstalk directly from the speakers and from center back wall crosstalk reflections. 1st reflections from back wall and side walls are not absorbed but room contains a huge level of broadband treatments in non direct paths to produce a balanced soundfield; speakers are spaced from positions for ideal delay vs. direct signal to maximize effect of the omnipolar properties on SQ. Speakers now to utilize what is actually a bipolar arrangment (0.3" wide planar tweeter and the mid-range, mirrored front/back on a 3" radius; giving nearly identical response up to 20khz, for nearly a 180 degree window on back unit and front unit, resulting in omnipolar type room loading for all intents and purposes.) From there, mid crosses to a 6.5" midbass and 8" JL W7 woofer. Cross points roughly 100Hz/600Hz/4500Hz.

I'll provide measurements and images of current revision on the forum later on - but I won't get to that for a while.

I can't remember where Alex lives.

-Chris

Last edited:
AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Basically omnipolar room loading for entire audible bandwidth up to 20kHz; absolute non-resonant construction; 4 way active system in a room with acoustic treatment specifically set up/optimized for omni-polar speakers, including a large crosstalk reducing panel system in the room to reduce reflective crosstalk directly from the speakers and from center back wall crosstalk reflections. 1st reflections from back wall and side walls are not absorbed but room contains a huge level of broadband treatments in non direct paths to produce a balanced soundfield; speakers are spaced from positions for ideal delay vs. direct signal to maximize effect of the omnipolar properties on SQ. Speakers now to utilize what is actually a bipolar arrangment (0.3" wide planar tweeter and the mid-range, mirrored front/back on a 3" radius; giving nearly identical response up to 20khz, for nearly a 180 degree window on back unit and front unit, resulting in omnipolar type room loading for all intents and purposes.)
So if I understand this correctly, off axis and sound power are irrelevant (despite the overwhelming scientific/objective evidence to the contrary), especially in the visually pretty looking B&W's you like and defend, but you have omnipolar speakers? With huge amounts of room "treatments"....for the off axis...and sound power?? Hmmmm.
Interesting ;).

I'll provide measurements and images of current revision on the forum later on - but I won't get to that for a while.
Should be interesting.

Hopefully, he can. :)

cheers,

AJ

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
So if I understand this correctly, off axis and sound power are irrelevant (despite the overwhelming scientific/objective evidence to the contrary), especially in the visually pretty looking B&W's you like and defend, but you have omnipolar speakers? With huge amounts of room "treatments"....for the off axis...and sound power?? Hmmmm.
Interesting ;).
You can word it that way if you like, but you know that is not an accurate summation of my view - as I detailed that prior in that old thread. In ultimate SQ terms, an even, full band sound power is needed to both bring about the best timbral detail/resolution and soundstage. But in talking about 'hi end' retail speakers - nearly none meet a standard to qualify for max. potential SQ/realism. The compromises are many in most retail speakers, and the narrow power dip in the mid-range of the BW is exaggerated greatly it seems; this is alone is not enough to disqualify it from being a very good speaker compared to the majority of other 'high end' monopoles. Monopoles no matter who makes them are limited from the get go, then on top of that, full band wide dispersion even in just the front hemisphere is extremely rare - then on top of that a narrow mid-range dip is just no real big deal - easily compensated for with just moderate level of good acoustical treatment in the room. The horribly resonant behavior of the stock Primus 362, though, is a deal breaker. No way this speaker can be classified among even the majority of high end monopoles. With some mods, yes. I did an extensive re-construction of one of these for a member here a while back to turn it into a true high performance monopolar speaker that should compete with many very expensive speaker systems. Stock - no way.

Of course, I do not treat 1st reflections with my speakers - as I use the advantages of wide, even off axis full band energy - I have very heavy treatments, but they are used to control random room reverberation for an optimum room sound field and control cross talk in the room for superior imaging/soundstage; an important specialty treatment I find for omnipolar speakers, otherwise the image tends to be somewhat 'diffused'. Most of the treatments are aligned against room corners (the back rear corners up the wall, the entire side bottom length of corners along walls/floors and rear wall/floor corner.) The only 1st reflection point I remove is the ceiling reflection points and to a lesser extent the floor (using very thick padding under the carpet). I have an additional 1.25" thick 100 percent wool decorative rug that I am also going to add to the floor on top of the existing padding and carpet, to further improve floor reflection absorption.

-Chris

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
And yet, the 802D will sound superior to the 804 to most anyone - and you wonder why I find the claims of the tests discussed way back when don't quite add up right..... :D

Oh, as for my speakers, I thought all the problems I caused you would make you forget how they sounded by now. Heck, you are still '.... past Hurt.... in recovery'... LOL. :) If you find any high end set up that even remotely approaches my main system, I'de like to hear about it. You might at least find one to match my computer rig. :)

-Chris
Sighted bias, differing rooms, no level matching and Sean Olive's caveat regarding the 360 being 'played within its normal linear operating range' make it easy for me to accept his statements and my perceptions. How long do you think the 360 would last compared to the B&W if you were to start cranking up the volume? To me the DBT's are there to demonstrate that our sighted preference is biased. I'm not really sure that I fall into the 75% category. Finding out something like that takes way more effort than I have put into this hobby. I wouldn't be surprised at having my preferences turned on their ear.

I like the way my location reads. Ultimately I am grateful for the time I got to spend 'Hurting'. Anymore I don't feel like I absorb info all that fast but I learned some things regarding audio out there and I learned some things from Sean Olive's participation in that thread way back. Dismissing him with sarcasm might not be worthy of either of you.

Out of all that went on concerning my visits, the thing I remember most is how much I enjoyed listening to that omni polar rig. I'd like to listen to that again if I get a chance. I'd like to read the impressions of somebody who was better at describing what they heard. Even the room they are in is a testament to some seriously obsessive behavior. No, I didn't forget.

As far as the computer rig is concerned I doubt that I'll ever hear better nearfield monitors. Even that set up has more acoustic treatments than any room I have seen in real life. You know? The 804's I heard were a better listening experience but you were the one who explained to me that in a farfield listening environment the room plays a part. With monitors the room is removed from the equation because of the proximity and in your case the room treatments. I suspect that if the 804's were used as nearfield monitors the experience would have been degraded.

Best regards,
Alex

Edit:
Wow ... you have no idea where I was coming from or going to? :eek:

I live in RI. :rolleyes:

AJ, if I ever make it to FLA I'm gonna invite myself over. I know you've done some serious DIY stuff and I'm just interested in all things audio. I can't wait to find another obsession but this one looks like it might be here to stay.

Last edited:
AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
You can word it that way if you like, but you know that is not an accurate summation of my view...
....the narrow power dip in the mid-range of the BW.....is not enough to disqualify it from being a very good speaker compared to the majority of other 'high end' monopoles.
....then on top of that a narrow mid-range dip is just no real big deal
No your wording is just fine. :)
Essentially the "logic" being that the horrible (yes, horrible) measured acoustic performance (soundwaves) of the B&W is excusable, because "all the other similar priced monopole 'high end' speakers are just as bad" (an unsubstantiated absurd assertion, easily falsified)...and therefore still "good".

easily compensated for with just moderate level of good acoustical treatment in the room.
More absurd nonsense. How do you "treat" the first reflection without killing spaciousness/realism? (Ans: you can't). What material inverts the TF of the midband flare? (Ans: None).
When are going going to stop digging yourself deeper into this indefensible B&W hole? Just admit the looks, brochure and stroke 'n gush "reviews" have a soft spot in your heart and deafens you to the horrid acoustic design. Who would argue with that truth?

cheers,

AJ

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
AJ, if I ever make it to FLA I'm gonna invite myself over. I know you've done some serious DIY stuff and I'm just interested in all things audio. I can't wait to find another obsession but this one looks like it might be here to stay.
Well, I was going to suggest visiting an Orion owner in your area (owners often allow for auditions) and if you were near MI, drop by Earl Geddes (there may be owners of his speakers in your area as well).
If you were in FL, I'd say drop by, though it will be a little while before I get my system set up in the new abode (especially with my current 70+ hrs work weeks).:(

cheers,

AJ

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Horrid.... sure. Yes, a horrible speaker, so few people find it to be any better than a $100 pair of budget towers... that is the impression I get about YOUR opinion of the BW. You exaggerate quite a bit. And what spaciousness is to be found with most monpolars? They typically do not even have appreciable dispersion over 8-10khz that is of use; much of the primary auditory information for spatial detection lies above this band. Most monopolars are not exactly using side reflections to the potential that they could. In addition, most are substantially resonant, many not even using suitable acoustic absorption - and in addition most having very lively/reactive cabinet systems in addition. The only sin one can point out on the BW is a mild to moderate dip in mid-range power off axis. It uses what seems to be sufficient acoustic absorption, it has a non-lively construction, and it appears to respond excellent to high power without noticeable compression or distortion, presuming you do not drive the woofers under port tuning frequency, of course.

I have yet to find anyone other than an extreme minority claim it's such an inferior speaker. In fact, the opposite is commonly the situation. I know that virtually anyone that has heard a Primus 362 and even the lower end BW like the 804, much less 802D, is probably scratching their head that anyone could claim a stock 362 is even comparable, much less superior to the BW.

-Chris

No your wording is just fine. :)
Essentially the "logic" being that the horrible (yes, horrible) measured acoustic performance (soundwaves) of the B&W is excusable, because "all the other similar priced monopole 'high end' speakers are just as bad" (an unsubstantiated absurd assertion, easily falsified)...and therefore still "good".

More absurd nonsense. How do you "treat" the first reflection without killing spaciousness/realism? (Ans: you can't). What material inverts the TF of the midband flare? (Ans: None).
When are going going to stop digging yourself deeper into this indefensible B&W hole? Just admit the looks, brochure and stroke 'n gush "reviews" have a soft spot in your heart and deafens you to the horrid acoustic design. Who would argue with that truth?

cheers,

AJ

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
Oh, come on now, AduDef and others, you don't want B&W 800D or 802D, etc.; don't you know that even a Primus 362 is 'superior' according to some that post on this forum (it has that dip in response OFF AXIS, don't you know?) ? :rolleyes:

-Chris
Back for some more pain I can see :D

Didn't your mom tell you about the Science-of-Sound Santa Claus? ".. He knows when you are good and bad, so be good for goodness sake" ;)

If you don't behave, he may not leave you a pair of Primus 362's under your tree this year!:mad:

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Back for some more pain I can see ?:D

Didn't your mom tell you about the Science-of-Sound Santa Claus? ".. He knows when you are good and bad, so be good for goodness sake" ? ;)

If you don't behave, he may not leave you a pair of Primus 362's under your tree this year!:mad:
I can do without a pair of those in stock form. The nice, resonant coloration of a stock production 362 which lacks even a functional acoustical damping in the main cabinet volume gives me a headache.

-Chris

AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
Horrid.... sure. Yes, a horrible speaker
Finally :)

so few people find it to be any better than a $100 pair of budget towers
Logical fallacy and irrelevant. What "other people find with budget towers" does not change the acoustic performance one iota. The price of the B&W only makes it more unconscionable.

And what spaciousness is to be found with most monpolars? They typically do not even have appreciable dispersion over 8-10khz that is of use; much of the primary auditory information for spatial detection lies above this band.
Nonsense. You desperately need some recent acoustics texts and papers. Start with Toole's for spaciousness perception (yes, with monopoles).
And spatial detection is primarily above 1k. Above 10k???...hardly.

I have yet to find anyone other than an extreme minority claim it's such an inferior speaker. In fact, the opposite is commonly the situation.
Another logical fallacy. Appeal to popularity. :rolleyes:

I know that virtually anyone that has heard a Primus 362 and even the lower end BW like the 804, much less 802D, is probably scratching their head that anyone could claim a stock 362 is even comparable, much less superior to the BW.
Wrong. You know that anyone who has seen, known about and yes, heard, may believe so. You don't know anyone who has only "heard" them.

cheers,

AJ

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
Oh, not denouncing perceptual research, but this is certainly a case where it is loosely used, and the reference was not directly compared, and in addition, I can think of several highly regarded speakers that would not fair so well in a poor acoustic environment - the kind that said tests are conducted in - that is simulating an average domestic space. Speakers for example wit the highest potential SQ for stereo sound reproduction would be a poor choice for most recordings in such a room - such as high performance omnipolars for example. The Primus is by far a great speaker in it's stock condition - though it's great for street price - but it's one of the more resonant speakers I have come across than even many casual users seem to often notice the strange 'sound' it produces in stock condition.....I even wonder if the Primus speakers used in the 'comparisons' were 'specially' prepared - different from the ill equipped OEM ones that have zero effective acoustic damping in the main cabinet volume, since it's such an obvious issue. Even with acoustic damping, the speaker is extremely lively in regards to cabinet wall vibration/resonance, another issue I have to wonder about here. No one could seriously consider the Primus in stock retail condition to be a high performance audio product. Though I can personally say it has a lot of potential to be a very high performance product with the right mods/corrections.

And the power response issue is blown way out of proportion, especially when a room with good acoustics control(MANY highly regarded speaker systems including ESLs require extensive acoustics control to sound optimal). And you know the comparison tests used room with no controls; a room that represents an average non-treated domestic environment. There is much more to SQ than simply off axis response as a lone factor and I already made all of these statements in one of those old threads that maybe you linked(it's not even worth my time to click the links) so I'm not about to repeat it now. I have said nothing new or unique in this thread - but I will gladly make sarcastic remarks like above when such opportunity is so obviously placed - since it's such as absurd issue....
William, you are being a naughty boy again: You're definitely NOT getting a pair of Primus 362's from the Science-of-Sound Santa!

I'm not exactly sure what listening test or "poor acoustic environment" you are referring to but if I assume it's the Harman Multichannel Lab, what acoustic criteria or rationale do you have to make that call? Can you please define what constitutes a "poor acoustic environment"?

The Primus tested were stock speakers with no mods, and I don't appreciate the inference of being accused of manipulating scientific-based tests with modified speakers.

Regardless of your personal opinions of the loudspeaker, it does performs very well when personal prejudices, axes-to-grind and sighted biases are removed from the test. You seem to agree on that point - but speculate that the 802N is much superior, despite its poor measurements. Unless you have done the proper tests that is just another opinion.

Your point about the sound power/early reflection response being overblown is purely speculative and contrary to everything published in the scientific literature so far about loudspeakers -- and also contrary to the SQ ratings of our trained listeners with normal hearing.

Your opinion about what "good acoustic control" is meaningless without being properly defined. There is nothing I can think about our room off-hand that constitutes "poor acoustic control". It has extremely low background noise, no apparent flutter echoes, and a combination of absorption/diffusion/reflection. To say the room is untreated is simply untrue.

If you think a listening room has to be filled with fibreglass to absorb the off-axis sound of a poorly designed loudspeaker to make it sound passable, then you come from the 1970s Disco LEDE Control Room School of Design. Turning bad loudspeaker sound into heat is passe these days, a waste of energy, and not very environmentally responsible in 2010. Buy a good loudspeaker instead, and save the environment. Donate the money you save in fiberglass treatments to clean up the BP Oil mess in the Gulf.

The Science-of-Sound Santa is very disappointed in you William, and he says you're likely to get a rotten 802 in your stocking (w/o the $10k of wall treatments included just so you learn your lesson the hard way about the importance of sound power response) --instead of a Primus 362 that needs no wall treatment. He is also giving you a double-blind scrim to help control your biases, an audiometer, some listener training software, and a copy of Floyd Toole's book "Sound Reproduction" with the Cliff Notes included to facilitate and accelerate your learning. Merry Christmas :)

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Finally :)

Nonsense. You desperately need some recent acoustics texts and papers. Start with Toole's for spaciousness perception (yes, with monopoles).
And spatial detection is primarily above 1k. Above 10k???...hardly.
I am referring to the spatial detection related to the ear structure and the high frequency shaping / detection that occurs on the ear structure.

High pass your music at 8kHz and enjoy; it will be sound dull and be void of the fine spatial effect to which you are accustomed. Of course, it will still present a basic soundstage and imaging effect for basic localization(based on the phase/intensity differences easily detected over 1600hz or so for the common person).

-Chris

tonmeister

tonmeister

Audioholic
I can do without a pair of those in stock form. The nice, resonant coloration of a stock production 362 which lacks even a functional acoustical damping in the main cabinet volume gives me a headache.

-Chris
Well, you're getting something even worse than a stock production 362 from Science-of-Sound Santa ... read on.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
First, let's try to discuss a speaker made in the last few years: the 802D. The only 'sin' this speaker has is a narrow dip in mid-range response that begins to develop exceeding a +/- 30degree window.

I wonder of the comparisons as the 362 sounds so blatantly colored stock: it has NO functional damping in the thing. So I wonder if someone provided a pre-production sample or something that actually has appreciable acoustic damping in it - it's a significant issue with actual production units that is hard to over-look. Not even to discuss any other issue - this is the 1st and most noticeable negative issue with this product.

As far as your listening lab - is it not meant to simulate a probable actual domestic environment, acoustically. Is this not correct? Or is your lab set up to have substantially superior acoustics to what an actual domestic environment would present? If it is devoid of the common relatively dense furniture, etc. in a real environment, and uses specifically placed acoustical treatments in the right amounts to simulate this - then there you go - it's an average acoustic environment simulation. Obviously, you can add further treatment to a regular environment to make it have less reactive effect due to a non-perfect off axis reflection, for example.

Don't presume I mean anything other than the above - I am familar with / have read most of the perceptual articles from you and Floyd - but this specific situation is most odd - a speaker with such obvious coloration - a level I can easily hear/detect, blinded or not(I have performed multiple blinded tests comparing these effects of resonance, espeically in regards to damping the internal volume of cabinets - and have become very sensitive to them after such repeated blinded randomized tests). The 802D has no such coloration - and is reasonably flat in response, with some unwanted/slight amplitude lift in the upper register. It in addition, has a much broader frequency range, much more capable dynamic range - comparing both speakers in full range mode. The two things the 362 is measurable superior to in regards to it is far off axis mid-range power and the 362 has an overall flatter amplitude response, around +/- 1.25dB or so, 100hz-17khz, where the 802D is overally roughly +/- 2.5dB, 100hz-20khz.

And please don't mind my refusal to address everything on a point by point basis - nothing personal - it's just that I am not as patient as I used to be and prefer to just do a generalized reply rather than quote and reply to every single issue in posts these days.

-Chris

Last edited:
AJinFLA

AJinFLA

Banned
I am referring to...what I just googled...blah, blah...and lead to strawmen like....High pass your music at 8kHz and enjoy; it will be sound dull and be void of the fine spatial effect to which you are accustomed...blah, blah
have appreciable dispersion over 8-10khz that is of use; much of the primary auditory information for spatial detection lies above this band..
Chris, you've embarrassed yourself enough for one night. Needlessly so.:rolleyes:

I did enjoy the laughs....Good night :)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Chris, you've embarrassed yourself enough for one night. Needlessly so.:rolleyes:

I did enjoy the laughs....Good night :)
Wow. You seriously think information above 8khz is irrelevant/unimportant to human hearing spatial detection? Exactly what frequency band is manipulated by the small components / folds entering the ear canal? Music contains plenty of audible energy up to roughly 14kHz for most humans - and that spectrum is also localizable in space; exactly how do you determine this band is not useful for realistic perception of reproduced music, when with real music reproduced in a space, the full audible range is reflected in the environment and available for human detection? Is it logical to remove this HF information in your 'reproduced' music? Does anyone propose this effective off axis filtering of frequencies >8kHz is inconsequential to perceived sound?

-Chris

Last edited:
GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Holy Crap! Did we get caught up in the filming of "Groundhog Day: The Sequel"? How many times are you guys going to have this same argument?

From an overall standoint (factoring in power handling, bass response, etc), I would guess that the 800-series would be superior performers to the P362's. That's just a guess on my part, as I haven't heard the P362's before and a pair of 800D's very briefly. Are the B&W's worth 45 or 50 times more than the Infinitys? I'd have a hard time accepting that. I'd chalk the price differential up to sales volume, production methods and "perceived value" rather than performance difference.

From what I've read about the P362's, they appear to represent one of the greatest bargains in audio for anybody who going for "bang for buck".

Even if I were extremely wealthy, I'd be hesitant to spend $24,000 on a pair of speakers...

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Is there anything that could even compare to the paradigm s8's price and sound as good or even better? Could anyone suggest them?
I'd go with the Salk HT2 TL. I've heard them both. That would be my choice.
The rest of the gobbledy-gook in this thread is beyond my pay grade.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The Science-of-Sound Santa is very disappointed in you William, and he says you're likely to get a rotten 802 in your stocking (w/o the $10k of wall treatments included just so you learn your lesson the hard way about the importance of sound power response) --instead of a Primus 362 that needs no wall treatment. He is also giving you a double-blind scrim to help control your biases, an audiometer, some listener training software, and a copy of Floyd Toole's book "Sound Reproduction" with the Cliff Notes included to facilitate and accelerate your learning. Merry Christmas :)
Are the best speakers in the world the Revel Salon2 Ultima?

I get the impression you do not think the B&W 800D speakers are the best. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis