Subwoofer Questions for my HT

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I totally get that, getting married helped force me to hold back at home, when my desk gets messy it can drive me crazy. Right now at home the wiring for the HT is a mess, which is driving me crazy... :D
Mine is a little messy too. I could maintain some OCD when I had only one kid. Then the twins came. Game over!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because of where we have to place the recliners, basically only about 6 inches from the rear wall I don't run the mic behind the couch, just the first 6 positions which is basically the 2 listening positions. Primary is the first one.
Having a listening position near a wall isn't a good thing, no way to pull the seating more into the room? I've had best results clustering all mic positions around my primary listening position, about a 1.5-2ft radius around position 1.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Having a listening position near a wall isn't a good thing, no way to pull the seating more into the room? I've had best results clustering all mic positions around my primary listening position, about a 1.5-2ft radius around position 1.
When I run it I only do 3 positions. I do primary, the seat beside me, then primary again since I have to do a minimum of 3. Is at a good approach or should I do all 7 or 8 positions? I'm really only trying to dial in 2 seats for my wife and myself, and quite frankly she's not nearly as picky as I am.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I've tried many ways. The best I've found is one position. There are a few articles on this. I'll try and dig. IMO the less audyssey has to try and average, the better. Too many EQ filters can spoil the pudding.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've tried many ways. The best I've found is one position. There are a few articles on this. I'll try and dig. IMO the less audyssey has to try and average, the better. Too many EQ filters can spoil the pudding.
That makes sense to me. I only do 3 because it forces me to. I do the third one back at the main seating position.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think the tight radius around one position is somewhat along the same lines (rather than putting mics in various chairs/sofas around the room as some have interpreted). Audyssey themselves indicate the more information the better and most of the Audyssey analysis I've read (the very long threads on avsforum.com primarily) confirms. Looking forward to the articles you're referring to, tho. I think his measurement in a seat against the wall could be part of the problem due to the boundary influence.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That makes sense to me. I only do 3 because it forces me to. I do the third one back at the main seating position.
That's the process I've done most often, but the last few have been all 3 runs in one position. The best one I got was, first position at the LP. Second position, 10" forward of that. Then 3 more runs, each one back and above the 10" forward mark. This is the worst description ever! Lol. Try this.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Then 3 more runs, each one back and above the 10" forward mark. This is the worst description ever! Lol.
I read the first part like, 5 times before I got to this. lol

You're suggesting raising the mic for one of the measurements? And from what HD added it looks like I would want to take as many measurements as possible, even if it is just for one seat?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I think the tight radius around one position is somewhat along the same lines (rather than putting mics in various chairs/sofas around the room as some have interpreted). Audyssey themselves indicate the more information the better and most of the Audyssey analysis I've read (the very long threads on avsforum.com primarily) confirms. Looking forward to the articles you're referring to, tho. I think his measurement in a seat against the wall could be part of the problem due to the boundary influence.
I've seen audyssey's claim of more data equals better analysis, but I've also seen many complain that audyssey ruins the experience. Not sure off hand if they used all or one position though.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Sure, I can move the recliners, the wife will kill me and my problem will be solved. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, I can move the recliners, the wife will kill me and my problem will be solved. :D

Don't want a final solution like that :)

I've seen audyssey's claim of more data equals better analysis, but I've also seen many complain that audyssey ruins the experience. Not sure off hand if they used all or one position though.
Many just don't like Audyssey or any eq, but here's some of Chris K's (chief CTO of Audyssey) advice. As always, YMMV and all that.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hmmm I may have to check my three Audyssey avrs to see which let me do just one position, pretty sure at least two of them allow that....but I really don't need to run Audyssey at the moment nor did I like the results in the past as much when experimenting with a single position vs all of them....

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Hmmmmm how about this from Powersound Audio? Keep in mind, not looking to spend money, just get ideas and it does look interesting.

ANTI-MODE 8033S-II

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
From my little exposure, antimode is effective but expensive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Didn't know PSA sold those now, considered one of those a few years back but thot it was kinda pricey but supposedly does a decent job and is automatic. I think a minidsp/REW combo can be more flexible and useful, tho, especially for more than two subs, albeit more involved.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis