Your thoughts on the RBH SX1212P

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
No, the XLS1002 has 1100W bridged in 4ohm mode. No need for WAF, that's for you guys who need that I suppose. Quite familiar with the XLS line and pros/cons of external vs internal amps, have 4 XLS 1500s, now in use powering my DIY subs. You'd need the XLS2502 now to get 2400W in bridged mode at 4ohm (1khz rating average power .5% THD), and fwiw that's more like $560. Still really not to be compared with a SpeakerPower amp and its dsp (the XLS have DSP for useful for crossover but not much else).

I've used Audyssey XT/XT32 for eq'g subs, does a decent job.
My bad on the 2400W. I saw that number on Amazon. I must have misread it or they mislead me. :D

My other point is that I don't think everyone actually needs 2400W or even 500W in their 16x18 rooms. So why pay for it? And if they don't want to use the fancy internal amp EQ or have their own EQ system, why pay for another EQ system?

One time I used my ATI 60WPC amp (AT6012) to power my RBH 1010 subs. They rattled every room like an earthquake.

My first sub was a NHT 10" sub, which was powered by an external 60W amp. My brother now owns it. This sub + 60W amp shakes his 20x20x12 living room just fine like it shook my 18x20 room when I owned it.

So based on my experience, all this talk of power is overkill. It's like the "loudness war". Everyone wants to put more and more power into subs and speakers. But I doubt everyone actually needs 2400W or even 500W in their 14x16 or 16x18 or 18x20 living rooms. :D

There are many variables. There is a sub, speaker, amp, etc., for everyone because everyone has different needs.

To some people, the ($1900 + $200 shipping) JTR sub is what they need.
To others, the RBH SV-1212 ($1200 + $250 Crown amp) is what they need.
To others, the Funk, SVS, PSA, Rythmik, HSU, etc., is what they need.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
It's not bullet proof because we see people complain many times on forums how their sub amps die. I see a lot more complaints about sub amps dying than external amps.

I've had a lot more success using external amps. I've never had any trouble with my subs pushing their limits or making any kind of noise with external amps, unlike some internal sub amps I've owned; the sub amp would hum and I can't move the sub amp to a different location because it is attached to the sub.
That is totally different context.
No amp is immune to failure. Re-read my post.

As far as simple amp failure, I would agree that the pro amps are probably the most reliable...with the possible exception of the ICE amps (like the ones currently used by PSA).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My bad on the 2400W. I saw that number on Amazon. I must have misread it or they mislead me. :D

My other point is that I don't think everyone actually needs 2400W or even 500W in their 16x18 rooms. So why pay for it? And if they don't want to use the fancy internal amp EQ or have their own EQ system, why pay for another EQ system?

One time I used my ATI 60WPC amp (AT6012) to power my RBH 1010 subs. They rattled every room like an earthquake.

My first sub was a NHT 10" sub, which was powered by an external 60W amp. My brother now owns it. This sub + 60W amp shakes his 20x20x12 living room just fine like it shook my 18x20 room when I owned it.

So based on my experience, all this talk of power is overkill. It's like the "loudness war". Everyone wants to put more and more power into subs and speakers. But I doubt everyone actually needs 2400W or even 500W in their 14x16 or 16x18 or 18x20 living rooms. :D

There are many variables. There is a sub, speaker, amp, etc., for everyone because everyone has different needs.

To some people, the ($1900 + $200 shipping) JTR sub is what they need.
To others, the RBH SV-1212 ($1200 + $250 Crown amp) is what they need.
To others, the Funk, SVS, PSA, Rythmik, HSU, etc., is what they need.
True enough that some may not need the full power of their amp, and difference between 1200W and 2400W is still only 3dB but simply comparing amp power among different subs is useless without additional information such as sensitivity. You may need a more powerful amp depending on your spl and extension goals, especially if any boosting/eq is necessary. The point was a sub to match up to the price of the powered RBH sub; it is nice they offer the box as a standalone, and is better priced than their powered box. Problem with Audyssey for sub eq is it is a take it or leave it process which doesn't work for everyone; a miniDSP is more useful.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
That is totally different context.
No amp is immune to failure. Re-read my post.

As far as simple amp failure, I would agree that the pro amps are probably the most reliable...with the possible exception of the ICE amps (like the ones currently used by PSA).
Kurt, am I missing something here? Is there a problem w/the Ice Amps that I am NOT aware of? Sure hope not given that I have dual PSA S1500's. Have followed this thread somewhat. Lately, have noticed that one of my S1500's is not putting out very much. Not sure if Audyssey is the reason. Plan to figure that out asap. Do have plenty of warranty if needed. Tom V. is great to deal with. Just curious here Kurt.

Cheers,

Phil

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I guess the pictures don't do it much justice then, it doesn't look particularly amazing as far as looks go and those feet are simply fugly; especially as compared with something in a beautiful cabinet from Funk (besides, WAF is meaningless to me, trying to even understand such in audio makes my head hurt).
To offer a couple cents, it's something you probably would have to see to appreciate. The dual 12" drivers aligned vertically combined with the curved sides give it a smaller profile than you'd expect for a sub with that kind of output. From what I've seen, the finish quality is top notch as well, though AFAIK the 1212 is only available in black these days.

As far as WAF goes, may as well call it for what it is: a lot of guys like their toys to look good too. I doubt my wife cares what my sub looks like, but I'd just assume own this than a cube finished in truck bed liner. Fun fact: that opening shot of the 18.0 is my sub :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
He was saying that ice amps are reliable like pro amps are :)
Oh thank heavens .....LOL!!! Was thinking the opposite......LOL!!!! But, one of my S1500's really is NOT putting out much. Audyssey may have set it that way. Going to check it out and see. No worries as both have plenty of warranty left. Thanks Phillip!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To offer a couple cents, it's something you probably would have to see to appreciate. The dual 12" drivers aligned vertically combined with the curved sides give it a smaller profile than you'd expect for a sub with that kind of output. From what I've seen, the finish quality is top notch as well, though AFAIK the 1212 is only available in black these days.

As far as WAF goes, may as well call it for what it is: a lot of guys like their toys to look good too. I doubt my wife cares what my sub looks like, but I'd just assume own this than a cube finished in truck bed liner. Fun fact: that opening shot of the 18.0 is my sub :D
Good looking toys are one thing, I care about how my bikes look a bit more than speakers I don't see much of or have on display so to speak. I barely even notice their appearance when in use. Only one of my commercial subs came with the black pebble type finish (not what I'd call truck bed liner like I use elsewhere), and used a nice stain finish on my diys.

Those Funks are awfully sweet, though! Someday I'll get my veneering on!

E

Ernie Schmuntz

Junior Audioholic
Just wondering who has or has had one or two and what your thoughts were on this beast sub.
Yes of course I loved it but I am an RBH dealer so everyone thinks I have to say that, so I'm looking for neutral thoughts if you would be so kind.
I’m just a poor boy that had to keep his 1010sen.

Morgan Audio

Morgan Audio

Audioholic
I enjoyed the 1010, I did end up with dual subs though to make things even looking and didnt hurt the sound a bit lol

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I am finding that store bought WAF is different than DIY WAF. The latter of which, seems to conjure up all of the things you will be able to do for them and their "honey-do," or "honey-do-me" list. :D

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
  • Yes I love RBH, I am a dealer for RBH -and now Les Hudson Designs but I am also an audio lover period. I actually enjoy sharing sound itself even more than the music if that makes since

Your signature does not make "since". ;-)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis