Yamaha YPAO settings, confused

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's the recommended setting in the manual during a YPAO run/setup. After I'm happy with the result I increased the volume gain to about 65% (in my office) or whatever I feel is appropriate in the other rooms.
Yes many avr manuals say that for an initial setting on a sub, as they're just guessing at a starting point to use as they have no specifics about your sub. Depends on the pre-out level of the avr as well as the sensitivity of the sub amp. Most plate amps I've used I only need 1/4-1/3 of the available range of gain on the sub. Generally better to raise/lower sub trim level in the avr for an accurate/consistent way of doing it (p.s. clarification: after finding an appropriate setting of the gain on the sub, not just instead of changing from 50%)

The one thing that comes to mind about YPAO in past reading (no experience, never owned one) was that it tries to actively balance the sub level with that of the speakers, so speaker level trims can change depending on sub level chosen....

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Ah sorry about the confusion, yes, the distances are relatively accurate, except the subwoofer is about 3 feet further, but I've read that's usually done on purpose.

I have never checked to actually turn off YPAO Volume and/or Adaptive DRC. Does YPAO apply those to calibration if they are on, and would they actually change the setting?
Thats a good question for Yamaha support. One wouldnt think it does. But heh!!!, lets get paranoid and turn it off, rerun and see where that takes you. I personally like dynamics in films so I dont use either of those features. I get their usefulness especially when not trying to wake up others at night.:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thats a good question for Yamaha support. One wouldnt think it does. But heh!!!, lets get paranoid and turn it off, rerun and see where that takes you. I personally like dynamics in films so I dont use either of those features. I get their usefulness especially when not trying to wake up others at night.:)
YPAO volume is more akin to a loudness contour, and could help with dynamics at lower volumes? The DRC I'd definitely turn off.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
You make a good point, I'll try to rerun it tomorrow and make sure its off!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You make a good point, I'll try to rerun it tomorrow and make sure its off!
Usually you're turning off such automatically enabled features (or enabling them, depending on implementation) after you run the routine. Usually starting the routine resets such.

PS to truly get a clean starting point perhaps a factory/microprocessor reset might be an idea.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Usually you're turning off such automatically enabled features (or enabling them, depending on implementation) after you run the routine. Usually starting the routine resets such.

PS to truly get a clean starting point perhaps a factory/microprocessor reset might be an idea.
Adaptivec DRC and YPAO volume are manually enabled and disabled. I leave mine off because I'm a "dynamics" junkie.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
To get an accurate YPAO results....
The post-processing modes including dynamic EQ, YPAO volume needs to be OFF....
The YPAO test tones will confuse the processor and deliver corrupt results...
Turn them back ON after the YPAO routine has been run....

Just my $0.02... ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
To get an accurate YPAO results....
The post-processing modes including dynamic EQ, YPAO volume needs to be OFF....
The YPAO test tones will confuse the processor and deliver corrupt results...
Turn them back ON after the YPAO routine has been run....

Just my $0.02... ;)
I had the feeling but wasnt sure if YPAO would automatically turn that stuff off while in measurement mode.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to rerun today, turn everything OFF, I also had a spare set of NHT subzero 2.1's (currently have a set as my rear surround speakers, which were set to small), I want to hook those up as my fronts to see if it calibrates those as small and how different the PEQ curve is. (in fact I wonder if the NHT subzero's would be an even better speaker compared to my old Infinity Primus 252's from 2008). There is one thing that changed since my set up last year. I changed the feet on my SVS PB12-NSD from the small little feet to the SVS soundpath, but I can't imagine it making that much of a difference.

The one thing I've noticed, ever since it set the speakers to large, is that is seems like a lot of bass was going to the front and center channels, even though I crossed at 80Hz. It wasn't clean bass, definitely something that the sub should be handling. My other option after this is to try to do a factory reset of the receiver. So I still have a few things to try.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
The one thing I've noticed, ever since it set the speakers to large, is that is seems like a lot of bass was going to the front and center channels, even though I crossed at 80Hz. It wasn't clean bass, definitely something that the sub should be handling. My other option after this is to try to do a factory reset of the receiver. So I still have a few things to try.
I would definitely reset the AVR to default before running YPAO and play it safe. And then tweak the settings afterwards (changing the speakers to small, YPAO volume, the sub cross-over, etc.).

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
Adaptive DRC is for late time listening (=dynamic range compression) and yes it does affect big time if watching some blockbuster movie. I had it on few months ago and i was thinking how the explosition felt so anemic, well bingo turned it off and big change sub came alive! Have you tried to turn the PEQ to Off? Does your system actually sound better, many reviews have said the Yamahas sound better when YPAO the eq part is turned off, "Through" i think it´s called where you find the Flat, Natural, Front etc.

As for the subwoofer level most people aim for slightly under -10db. So -8db for example and then tweaking that figure from menu lower without touching the knobs. For me it was -6db post YPAO, i lowered it to -3db which was enough. No need to jump touching knobs during the movie as you can do it from couch and find the sweet spot for every movie!
Why would anyone turn parametric EQ off? Is everyone else's room perfect except mine? Granted, i don't trust any manufacturer's auto EQ (YPAO, MCACC, AUDYSSEY, whatever). Room treatments + manual EQ gives way better results though it takes a lot of time and effort.

Adaptive DRC sucks. But, YPAO volume (adaptive EQ) can serve as a great add-on feature at less than reference volumes once you have your EQ fine tuned.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Because U want the AVR to have ALL tone controls and post-processing modes OFF..
The AVR should be back to what its out of box defaults settings are..
Once U have run YPAO, then come back adjust/tweak the EQ, X-overs, channel trims as desired....

Just my $0.02... ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha YPAO Volume
Volume boost is applied to the high (above 6.5Kz) and low end (between 20Hz and 400Hz).
  • volume at -40dB: 4dB
  • volume at -35dB: 3dB
  • volume at -30dB: 2dB
  • volume at -25dB: 1dB
  • volume at -20dB: 0dB
So I guess it is similar to how Audyssey DEQ boosts the volume of the Bass and Treble depending on the Master Volume.

If you want DEQ or YPAO Volume to be even more aggressive in boosting the BASS and Treble, you would INCREASE the Speaker Channel Levels so that your Master Volume is usually at -30.0 or -35.0.

J

JRiggs

Audiophyte
I'm going to rerun today, turn everything OFF, I also had a spare set of NHT subzero 2.1's (currently have a set as my rear surround speakers, which were set to small), I want to hook those up as my fronts to see if it calibrates those as small and how different the PEQ curve is. (in fact I wonder if the NHT subzero's would be an even better speaker compared to my old Infinity Primus 252's from 2008). There is one thing that changed since my set up last year. I changed the feet on my SVS PB12-NSD from the small little feet to the SVS soundpath, but I can't imagine it making that much of a difference.

After running YPAO, change all speakers to small.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Ok, so I reset from receiver, reran YPAO, turned off YPAO, DRC, etc, everything off. After it was finished, it actually asked if I wanted to turn YPAO volume on. Anyway, now I'm starting to think it's the sub. While going throught this for the past week, I've been checking to make sure my crossover was set at 80hz (also tried 90, 100), because it seemed like the front speakers were distorting. I listen to music with the sub off, with a bass heavy song and no issues. My sub volume seems to be all over place, can't get the it to all blend. I didn't touch anything from the YPAO other setting other than making sure all speakers are set to small and raise the gain on the sub to about 1 o'clock, where I had it before. (I had to have it at 9 o'clock get the the receiver to set it at -9.5) I popped in Bad Boys III, which supposedly has an amazing Atmos soundtrack and lets say the bass was way to boomy, I turned it down one click on the sub and then I had no bass. It's so strange.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Talked to SVS, they had me hook
Up my phone to sub with RCA and bass hit much harder even at 50% when I hooked my receiver back up, it was barely any bass, so they think it may be the receiver. What would you guys recommend if I need a new receiver. I’d like to be in the $500-600 range but could go up a little more if there is a must have. I’ve never been impressed with Yamaha’s bass management, especially now. I’d live a 9.2 for 5.2.4 but think It’s out of my range. Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When running test tones it works well enough to finish the YPAO routine, tho? How about if you use another pre-out from the avr? Or another setup to test the sub with?

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
When running test tones it works well enough to finish the YPAO routine, tho? How about if you use another pre-out from the avr? Or another setup to test the sub with?
Yes it finishes the setup, but I have to turn gain gain way down oddly enough. I used the out sub precut (number 2) and it sounds the same.

I do have a polk 10 inch sub that I can hook up and see how that performs and I have a 2013 Yamaha receiver, but it doesn’t have a lot of features of my current one.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis