Yamaha YPAO settings, confused

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it’s common to see auto room EQ set the subwoofer level FLAT. It’s their job - get the FR to be as FLAT as possible.

It’s our job to take the flat subwoofer response and boost it like a volcano.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Heres what I did if I remember correctly. Once you correctly identified your speaker configuration in the amp set up window, and have set the volume level on the sub to half way, rerun YPAO. Once that is done, go to your speaker configuration menu and set all your speakers to small and go to each speaker configuration and set the crossover to 80 Hz as a starting point. You may have to revisit the crossover setting for the surrounds and atmos speakers depending on their size. Commit that tthe AVR's menu. No need to run YPAO again after that.

In my older Yamahas, I would have to set speaker size first and then run YPAO to get YPAO to calibrate properly. With these newer models like mine, I can toggle through the PEQ settings after running YPAO and the settings would change for each speaker in each PEQ mode. That last statement was the biggest paradigm shift for me between new and older models.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Heres what I did if I remember correctly. Once you correctly identified your speaker configuration in the amp set up window, and have set the volume level on the sub to half way, rerun YPAO. Once that is done, go to your speaker configuration menu and set all your speakers to small and go to each speaker configuration and set the crossover to 80 Hz as a starting point. You may have to revisit the crossover setting for the surrounds and atmos speakers depending on their size. Commit that tthe AVR's menu. No need to run YPAO again after that.

In my older Yamahas, I would have to set speaker size first and then run YPAO to get YPAO to calibrate properly. With these newer models like mine, I can toggle through the PEQ settings after running YPAO and the settings would change for each speaker in each PEQ mode. That last statement was the biggest paradigm shift for me between new and older models.
What he said ;)

Take the time and read the manual. Or give Yamaha Tech Support a call. The rare times I've called they've been very helpful.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What he said ;)

Take the time and read the manual. Or give Yamaha Tech Support a call. The rare times I've called they've been very helpful.
I don't believe the info in my last paragraph was in the manual so succinctly. I learned that through experimentation more or less.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I don't believe the info in my last paragraph was in the manual so succinctly. I learned that through experimentation more or less.
Same here.

Mastering the Japanese/English translation in the manual can be tough for some. Luckily I used to work for NEC (IT/telecommunications) for 16 years, so it's not so daunting.

Initially I run YPAO 3 or 4 times and then I modify the settings manually on the 'setup' web page, which has been a godsend.

And then I experiment with the settings, making a backup for each change I make, and I save the best 3 for different scenarios (music/movies/etc.).

I've repeatedly read on this site that Audyssey Mult-Eq xt32 is a better PEQ program but I prefer to manually tweak the settings to my taste. I'm not trying to turn my room into an anechoic chamber. To each his own.

I have yet to hear any complaints on my different Yamaha set-ups in 4 rooms, from friends or family.

So I have to assume I'm doing something right, unless they're deaf as I am. :D

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I skimmed but didn't see mention of the crossover?

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern

Thanks! It's pretty much what I've done, but at 50% with the gain on the sub, I either received the W-3 error message or -10 (Range is -10.0-10). I had to go down to 25% for it to give me a reading of -5.0, after this I raised the gain on the sub back to about 2 o'clock where it was before.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks! It's pretty much what I've done, but at 50% with the gain on the sub, I either received the W-3 error message or -10 (Range is -10.0-10). I had to go down to 25% for it to give me a reading of -5.0, after this I raised the gain on the sub back to about 2 o'clock where it was before.
Something ain't right. The volume gain level knob on your sub(s) should be left at 12 o'clock, before and after the YPAO run normally.

Are you based in the USA?

If so, here's the contact information I have from the last time I called. Note the hours of operation are Pacific Time and before the pandemic; they might have changed.

(714) 522-9105, select option 3, Monday – Saturday, 7 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. PST.

Good luck.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Something ain't right. The volume gain level knob on your sub(s) should be left at 12 o'clock, before and after the YPAO run normally.

If so, here's the contact information I have from the last time I called. Note the hours of operation are Pacific Time and before the pandemic; they might have changed.

Good luck.
yes I’m in the in US, great, I’ll give them a call if I can’t get it figured out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Good luck.
Why would you necessarily set every sub amp out there to 50% gain only?

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
I did read on the SVS forum that some people have to turn it below 50%. So after reviewing it today, if I turn off adaptive DRC, I get better bass response, (seems weird) and in the PEQ, I manually raised the subwoofer to make it more level (PEQ reduced it) and I manually lowered the volume of the the Fronts and Center, PEG had maxed out my front and center at 60hz. I'm assuming it did this because it set them to large. I have better bass response from the sub, just playing with it all to try and get it right. I really should probably do REW, but it looks so daunting.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That's a starting point suggested by Yamaha. If one likes bass hotter, then one can bump the level either by the AVR or sub. It gives one more room for setting bass levels to ones liking.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I did read on the SVS forum that some people have to turn it below 50%. So after reviewing it today, if I turn off adaptive DRC, I get better bass response, (seems weird) and in the PEQ, I manually raised the subwoofer to make it more level (PEQ reduced it) and I manually lowered the volume of the the Fronts and Center, PEG had maxed out my front and center at 60hz. I'm assuming it did this because it set them to large. I have better bass response from the sub, just playing with it all to try and get it right. I really should probably do REW, but it looks so daunting.
Something still doesn't seem right. Why would YPAO max your front three speakers? None of my channels are maxed. How far is the listening position from the front 3 speakers. What's the volume set when you run YPAO?

You are correct to turn off adaptive DRC and that should be turned off before running YPAO.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Something still doesn't seem right. Why would YPAO max your front three speakers? None of my channels are maxed. How far is the listening position from the front 3 speakers. What's the volume set when you run YPAO?

You are correct to turn off adaptive DRC and that should be turned off before running YPAO.
here are the setting of the distance, initial volume setting and then my changes to make everything small and 80hz

77F8741D-7CCB-4E2E-B5C2-EB4384842AD6.png532DDAB0-5EFF-4DD0-A570-31FB081C700E.pngF3289366-58C4-41E4-A185-7A8BD8729FBE.png

E

EBN

Audioholic
Adaptive DRC is for late time listening (=dynamic range compression) and yes it does affect big time if watching some blockbuster movie. I had it on few months ago and i was thinking how the explosition felt so anemic, well bingo turned it off and big change sub came alive! Have you tried to turn the PEQ to Off? Does your system actually sound better, many reviews have said the Yamahas sound better when YPAO the eq part is turned off, "Through" i think it´s called where you find the Flat, Natural, Front etc.

As for the subwoofer level most people aim for slightly under -10db. So -8db for example and then tweaking that figure from menu lower without touching the knobs. For me it was -6db post YPAO, i lowered it to -3db which was enough. No need to jump touching knobs during the movie as you can do it from couch and find the sweet spot for every movie!

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
That's the recommended setting in the manual during a YPAO run/setup. After I'm happy with the result I increased the volume gain to about 65% (in my office) or whatever I feel is appropriate in the other rooms.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
here are the setting of the distance, initial volume setting and then my changes to make everything small and 80hz

View attachment 39467View attachment 39468View attachment 39469
Levels look good. The way I understood your description of levels was that the 3 front speakers were maxed out on the AVR side with no possible room to increase. Are the distances relatively accurate?

Rerun YPAO but make sure adaptive DRC is turned off. Its job is to control dynamics of the soundtrack and bass is usually very dynamic.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Adaptive DRC is for late time listening (=dynamic range compression) and yes it does affect big time if watching some blockbuster movie. I had it on few months ago and i was thinking how the explosition felt so anemic, well bingo turned it off and big change sub came alive! Have you tried to turn the PEQ to Off? Does your system actually sound better, many reviews have said the Yamahas sound better when YPAO the eq part is turned off, "Through" i think it´s called where you find the Flat, Natural, Front etc.

As for the subwoofer level most people aim for slightly under -10db. So -8db for example and then tweaking that figure from menu lower without touching the knobs. For me it was -6db post YPAO, i lowered it to -3db which was enough. No need to jump touching knobs during the movie as you can do it from couch and find the sweet spot for every movie!
Yeah I thought it was strange, I don't remember noticing it before with DRC, while it's not as loud with it, the bass feels more tight. I just noticed "Through" yesterday, I listed to it briefly but it didn't seem to be as immersive. I think I need to take a break and just listen to it for a few days. I reran YPAO several time and I kept reducing the sub click by click until I got -9.5 at around 10 o'clock and then I reduced to to -5.0db, because that's where I had it it before.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Levels look good. The way I understood your description of levels was that the 3 front speakers were maxed out on the AVR side with no possible room to increase. Are the distances relatively accurate?

Rerun YPAO but make sure adaptive DRC is turned off. Its job is to control dynamics of the soundtrack and bass is usually very dynamic.
Ah sorry about the confusion, yes, the distances are relatively accurate, except the subwoofer is about 3 feet further, but I've read that's usually done on purpose.

I have never checked to actually turn off YPAO Volume and/or Adaptive DRC. Does YPAO apply those to calibration if they are on, and would they actually change the setting?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis