Yamaha YPAO settings, confused

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
I had to rerun my YPAO after purchasing some new Atmos speakers. However, after rerunning it, my SVS subwoofer doesn't have the punch it use to, seems flat, I noticed that YPAO seemed to really mess with the fronts and sub raising the frequency on the fronts and then dropping the sub. Check out the photos, in the PEQ menu.

I had to basically turn my sub down to 9 o'clock to get it at -9, everything else stayed at -10, it set my center and fronts to large. I had to set them to small and 80hz. But the PEQ seems really off. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why are you trying to make trim levels certain numbers? Changing speakers to small after a setup routine in an avr isn't unusual to take advantage of bass management, seems most marketing departments don't want to insult your "larger" speakers. Not a Yamaha owner so not familiar with what YPAO does vs copying to PEQ for further manipulation....

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Oh I'm not trying to get any specific trims, that's what the PEQ automatically did, I'm just trying to figure out what happened to my bass since I had to rerun my YPAO. I don't care what the trims are as long as it sounds like it use to lol. To give you an example, its seems like the bass is coming from the center channel, I don't feel any immersion

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
PEQ and trim isn't the same thing, or does Yamah conflate them? You may have had some anomaly in running YPAO so first thing is to re-run it if it is very different than a previous run. No changes in speaker/sub positioning otherwise?

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
That was my first thought, I’ve run it 3 times. Distances seem good only change was adding the front presence speaker. When you say trim what are you referring too?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
What Yammy model do you own? I have the 3060 and I'm trying to remember what I did to set it up. Its so different than my older Yamaha models and it took me a while to wrap my head around the change. Give me a couple days and I'll get back to you.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was my first thought, I’ve run it 3 times. Distances seem good only change was adding the front presence speaker. When you say trim what are you referring too?
Trim level would be individual channel levels....

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
What Yammy model do you own? I have the 3060 and I'm trying to remember what I did to set it up. Its so different than my older Yamaha models and it took me a while to wrap my head around the change. Give me a couple days and I'll get back to you.
I have the RX V683 it’s a model below the Adventage line. It’s from 2018

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
S
Trim level would be individual channel levels....
So the levels in the PEQ aren’t related to the output level? So for example if I manually raised the sub level where the PEQ reduced it, that’s wouldn’t change the bass response?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
S

So the levels in the PEQ aren’t related to the output level? So for example if I manually raised the sub level where the PEQ reduced it, that’s wouldn’t change the bass response?
Not sure how Yamaha has implemented such but a PEQ is just eq, wouldn't have anything to do with speaker trim levels particularly.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Not sure how Yamaha has implemented such but a PEQ is just eq, wouldn't have anything to do with speaker trim levels particularly.
Ok, then I really confused about why my bass response changed and why I can’t get it dialed in.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, then I really confused about why my bass response changed and why I can’t get it dialed in.
One thing I've gleaned from reports of YPAO over the years is that it seems to try and balance subs and speaker levels somewhat. Audyssey sub level is set independently, for example. No change in position for the sub? or settings on the sub?

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Yeah from what I’ve seen and read and how it’s set up that seems like that’s what YPAO does. I wonder if I just just leave my sub off when trying to calibrate

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah from what I’ve seen and read and how it’s set up that seems like that’s what YPAO does. I wonder if I just just leave my sub off when trying to calibrate
Or perhaps playing with gain on the sub amp a bit?

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
I’ll try that next, I have currently set about 2 o’clock and my level on the Yamaha is -5.0, same as I had it before.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
Or perhaps playing with gain on the sub amp a bit?
I’m just trying to wrap my head around this l, so in the PEQ if it lowered the subwoofer frequency gain by -2.5db, at 39 & 49hz, that would effect the bass level/sound, as seen in the pic?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I’m just trying to wrap my head around this l, so in the PEQ if it lowered the subwoofer frequency gain by -2.5db, at 39 & 49hz, that would effect the bass level/sound, as seen in the pic?
As opposed to the subwoofer trim level in the avr or the sub itself, it would simply be relative. Yes, if you boost gain at certain frequencies (and width since its peq) from baseline or reduce from baseline, it will have an effect on level....at those frequencies.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
I had to rerun my YPAO after purchasing some new Atmos speakers. However, after rerunning it, my SVS subwoofer doesn't have the punch it use to, seems flat, I noticed that YPAO seemed to really mess with the fronts and sub raising the frequency on the fronts and then dropping the sub. Check out the photos, in the PEQ menu.

I had to basically turn my sub down to 9 o'clock to get it at -9, everything else stayed at -10, it set my center and fronts to large. I had to set them to small and 80hz. But the PEQ seems really off. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Did you accidentally turn on some DSP program that was very different from what you were using before you ran YPAO?

Did you have some oddball setting saved under one of the SCENEs and then accidentally hit that SCENE button on the remote?

Did you plug in the atmos speakers right? Did you unplug any other speaker? Did you accidentally reverse polarity or something funky like that when you connected any speaker?

What was the status of your YPAO volume and DRC before you ran YPAO? There's a probability that you had YPAO volume on before. Now maybe you turned it off? YPAO volume is basically a dynamic EQ adjustment and can drastically change the sound depending on the volume you're at.

If it is not any of the above mentioned....
Other.....
note/write down the distances/levels it set for your atmos speaker (if they seem right).
Did you do a backup before your ran YPAO? If you didn't do that, did you atleast copy/duplicate the "pattern setting" (pattern 1 and pattern 2?), If so, revert to what you had before, unplug your atmos speakers temporarily and verify that you can re-create the punch or whatever you got from your SVS before a.k.a Go back to where you were!...Now, connect your atmos speakers and input the configuration change, distances, levels for it manually (that you wrote down) and see how it sounds.

T

trusaleen1

Audioholic Intern
All great ideas, I just doubled check all my wiring and connections, all seem right, went through all the menu to make sure everything seemed right. I'm going to look at it more tomorrow.

I wish I had all my old settings, I had them for distance and for level, but I didn't save how YPAO & PEQ levels were last time. But everything else is the same

I'm sure that YPAO volume is on, I know I use it, in fact I don't like using the Atmos speakers as much, because with my receiver, I need to use Straight for Atmos and it bypasses the YPAO, so the center dialogue is low, with loud effects.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Is the AVR connected to your LAN (local area network)? So you can access the ‘Setup’ page, via your browser? It will look like this.
Screenshot (108).jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis