yamaha rxv 685 screws giving small electricity shock

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
in india they willmake me go for repair and wont give a replacement i guess
I wish you had let us know you are in India.

I have had a strong feeling all along that your problem is that either your house or your AC cord is miss wired.

The first question is: - Can you be sure that your receiver was made for India and not some other Asian country.?

I say this as India is like the UK. It is 230 to 240 volts with a neutral and live plus sometimes a grounding pin and sometimes not. I ask this as most other countries in Asia have two phase outlets, where there is no neutral and both pins are live but 180 degrees out of phase. So although the cycles and voltages are the same, you can not use devices across those jurisdictions.

Receivers are normally, in the US at least, double insulated with no ground. This is to try and prevent ground loops. So if you had a receiver not designed for a single phase and a neutral supply you would have the problem you are experiencing.

The next question is: - Did the unit come with a molded power plug, or did the power plug have to be installed on the AC cord? If the latter you need to check that the right and black wires are on the correct pins of the plug.

In India the live connection is on the right of the AC outlet as you look at it.

Next you need to check that your receptacles and house are wired correctly. In other words make sure the right terminal of your AC plugs has a potential between ground and the left one does not.

Any of the above problems I mention would give you the problem you are complaining about.

S

sand87

Audioholic
I wish you had let us know you are in India.

I have had a strong feeling all along that your problem is that either your house or your AC cord is miss wired.

The first question is: - Can you be sure that your receiver was made for India and not some other Asian country.?

I say this as India is like the UK. It is 230 to 240 volts with a neutral and live plus sometimes a grounding pin and sometimes not. I ask this as most other countries in Asia have two phase outlets, where there is no neutral and both pins are live but 180 degrees out of phase. So although the cycles and voltages are the same, you can not use devices across those jurisdictions.

Receivers are normally, in the US at least, double insulated with no ground. This is to try and prevent ground loops. So if you had a receiver not designed for a single phase and a neutral supply you would have the problem you are experiencing.

The next question is: - Did the unit come with a molded power plug, or did the power plug have to be installed on the AC cord? If the latter you need to check that the right and black wires are on the correct pins of the plug.

In India the live connection is on the right of the AC outlet as you look at it.

Next you need to check that your receptacles and house are wired correctly. In other words make sure the right terminal of your AC plugs has a potential between ground and the left one does not.

Any of the above problems I mention would give you the problem you are complaining about.
ok so here are my answers:-
1. i tried it at my cousins home.same small current in all the screws.not major but still there.am not saying that their wiring is perfect.it may not be.

2.the product is made in malasyia and it said it is used for indian voltage also.

3.its a molded plug and not the one that u can remove and connect like denon or aventage series i guess.

i also flipped the two pin and connected it as many have mentioned polarity issue here.

the reason i am concerned about repairing is not just because its a brand new piece of equipment but mainly because i have had horrible experiences with authorized service centres in the past.they may not at all fix the issue and would later say its not a problem or they would fix this but then cause another major issue and then this becomes a saga each time u repair.i have faced this with my crt tv many years ago and the funny part is smtines they wont even accept the fault till stuff breaks down finally.i just wanted to avoid this hassle.And yamaha service is like crap i guess.they dont even have a toll free. just a form u fill up and wait hoping the yamaha gods will one day smile upon u.

S

sand87

Audioholic
You don't know it won't be deadly. It is an absolute rule of safety, that you NEVER operate a malfunctioning electronic unit connected to high voltage. Get hold of Yamaha. They have an absolute responsibility to sort this out for you. They made it.

Stop using that unit now.
how to do that.buggers dont have a toll free number or a mail id for that matter.just a form u fill and wait for an eternity.then too under warranty they will only repair and the service centre themselves suggesting ground it for now and later one day we can fix it as if u do that the quality wud or cud get affected.go figure.i dont know about others but to those in india...be very very careful with yamaha products if u dont want to land in trouble

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

how to do that.buggers dont have a toll free number or a mail id for that matter.just a form u fill and wait for an eternity.then too under warranty they will only repair and the service centre themselves suggesting ground it for now and later one day we can fix it as if u do that the quality wud or cud get affected.go figure.i dont know about others but to those in india...be very very careful with yamaha products if u dont want to land in trouble
In the US, Yamaha has the best customer service.

All my instincts tell me that your unit was NOT made for India, and was in fact made for a two phase supply with no neutral zone in another Asian country. I suspect your unit actually needs replacement and not repair.

Unfortunately being in India seems to make rectifying your problem difficult. You know how to navigate your country better than we do, so I think we have gone as far as we can advising you.

I do think this forum needs a change in policy, and clearly state each member's country of residence on each post. This is not the first time we have gone down the wrong path due to not knowing a members country of residence. I will PM Gene.

S

sand87

Audioholic

All my instincts tell me that your unit was NOT made for India, and was in fact made for a two phase supply with no neutral zone in another Asian country. I suspect your unit actually needs replacement and not repair.

Unfortunately being in India seems to make rectifying your problem difficult. You know how to navigate your country better than we do, so I think we have gone as far as we can advising you.

I do think this forum needs a change in policy, and clearly state each member's country of residence on each post. This is not the first time we have gone down the wrong path due to not knowing a members country of residence. I will PM Gene.
does yamaha have any corporate email id tht anybody is aware of to whom i can escalate this to bring it to their notice.its just bad and lazy on my part to let it be.i want to bring it to their attention so that somebody takes the reaponsibility.any countrys would do.i tried googling a lot and it seems getting the contact of an intelligence agency may be easier than yamahas corporate office mail id

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

does yamaha have any corporate email id tht anybody is aware of to whom i can escalate this to bring it to their notice.its just bad and lazy on my part to let it be.i want to bring it to their attention so that somebody takes the reaponsibility.any countrys would do.i tried googling a lot and it seems getting the contact of an intelligence agency may be easier than yamahas corporate office mail id
This is the best I can do for you. There is an address for old fashioned postal mail and a phone number, but no Email.

Headquarters (Hamamatsu)
10-1, Nakazawacho, Naka-ku Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka, 430-8650, Japan

S

sand87

Audioholic

and i respect the fact that you replied and helped this much.also i think its not needed to segregate on basis of country as that may limit the suggestion cmng forth.they are sometimes really helpful to ownere like me when even the seller,the service centre and the company doesnt care a bit.

S

sand87

Audioholic
This is the best I can do for you. There is an address for old fashioned postal mail and a phone number, but no Email.

Headquarters (Hamamatsu)
10-1, Nakazawacho, Naka-ku Hamamatsu-shi, Shizuoka, 430-8650, Japan
cool.postmail it is then.lets hope it reaches the intended person.have him on linkedin but i guess its not the proper forum to send email to somebody there and not proper too

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
and i respect the fact that you replied and helped this much.also i think its not needed to segregate on basis of country as that may limit the suggestion cmng forth.they are sometimes really helpful to ownere like me when even the seller,the service centre and the company doesnt care a bit.
It's not about segregation so much as you can get wrong advice depending on what part of the world you come from. There are different electrical requirements for different regions so it's important to know before offering help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You haven't even contacted Yamaha yet, so hold off on your opinions of Yamaha service until you do? I do remember you had concerns originally about this unit's seller behind Amazon Prime....have you asked them how to contact Yamaha service?

The identity of location of a poster is useful for all sorts of advice. Telling you about brands available in the US vs India as well as pricing is totally different, for example. Could well be differences in retailer policies as well as service issues. Not to segregate, but not to fill up threads with inapplicable information....

S

sand87

Audioholic
You haven't even contacted Yamaha yet, so hold off on your opinions of Yamaha service until you do? I do remember you had concerns originally about this unit's seller behind Amazon Prime....have you asked them how to contact Yamaha service?

The identity of location of a poster is useful for all sorts of advice. Telling you about brands available in the US vs India as well as pricing is totally different, for example. Could well be differences in retailer policies as well as service issues. Not to segregate, but not to fill up threads with inapplicable information....
i have.i did send them the complaint.they dont have any other way out or i would have.

the seller told me to contact the servic ecentre and said theres nothng more that can be done.
the service centre then told me that yamaha usually doesnt allow them to give warranty and for that they will have to mail them and that its a long process.confirmed with another service centre in a differwnt city .same reply and he added not to ever buy costly items off amazon and that this is the third time they have seen returned stuff with sometimes internally tampered things sold as new items to customers.its in truth a mess.a big mess.

moral of the story is that i have lost the money i spent and will have to now start purchase afresh.or risk repair and then the long saga of other issues.probably due to weak consumer laws nobody gives a sh**

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i have.i did send them the complaint.they dont have any other way out or i would have.

the seller told me to contact the servic ecentre and said theres nothng more that can be done.
the service centre then told me that yamaha usually doesnt allow them to give warranty and for that they will have to mail them and that its a long process.confirmed with another service centre in a differwnt city .same reply and he added not to ever buy costly items off amazon and that this is the third time they have seen returned stuff with sometimes internally tampered things sold as new items to customers.its in truth a mess.a big mess.

moral of the story is that i have lost the money i spent and will have to now start purchase afresh.or risk repair and themlong saga of other issues.
Okay, you contacted a service center without factory warranty authorization, that would probably be the same here in the US. Persist in contacting an actual Yamaha representative for warranty service. Having done business in India over the last several decades I do understand somewhat the possible difficulties.....

S

sand87

Audioholic
Okay, you contacted a service center without factory warranty authorization, that would probably be the same here in the US. Persist in contacting an actual Yamaha representative for warranty service. Having done business in India over the last several decades I do understand somewhat the possible difficulties.....
thing is i perfectly understand why any company has policies but policies that hamper a products image smwhat intrigues me.why wud a company selling such costly equipment not even have a semblance of proper support?and forget avr.what abt its other instruments?
its only amazon now i can trust to sort this out.everythng else is out of the ques seeing the way they are responding.in india dell,google store and apple have exemplary support and amazon cms nxt.the only reason why i trusted them but in hindsight i feel i shud have listened to my gut feeling and returned the item then and there when the looks of it made me feel smthng was off.

S

sand87

Audioholic
so a lot happened today.amazon washed its hands off.was expected though.happened to contact the seller again.turned out to be an awsome guy and pretty knowledgeble.turned out this issue was bugging him and he in the evening tried to check this on his personal yamaha amplifier i guess NS303 and found to have the same residual or electricity on his unit the same way.he has now put it to yamaha tech guys and he will now try that out tomorrow on his other avrs in shop or smwhr and said he will update.i think yamaha receiver owners india should ideally start looking...if anyone from india reads this thread pls do check and pls do comment.

either this is intentional or i dont know wat else to say.

S

sand87

Audioholic
and again to people in india u r safe till you have to contact yamaha or denon cust care or company.gud luk with that.theres no way to.had mu seller been not a proper guy this cud have gone horribly wrong to me

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

and again to people in india u r safe till you have to contact yamaha or denon cust care or company.gud luk with that.theres no way to.had mu seller been not a proper guy this cud have gone horribly wrong to me
In that case it sounds as if someone has bought some "grey market" goods not wired for the Indian AC supply and is distributing them. I doubt this is Yamaha's fault and there is a dishonest (read criminal) distributor in the mix. I understand this sort of thing is not unusual in Asia.

highfigh

highfigh

When you feel this, are you on a tiled concrete floor without shoes? The usual reason for this sensation is reversed hot and neutral- been there, got the hat.Also got the message when I closed the aluminum-framed windows in my parents' garage which, unfortunately, had been wired by their genius Electrical Engineer friend, who installed a 3-way light switch but switched the neutral, rather than the hot. The garage also has aluminum siding and metal junction boxes, so it was an accident waiting to happen.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

When you feel this, are you on a tiled concrete floor without shoes? The usual reason for this sensation is reversed hot and neutral- been there, got the hat.Also got the message when I closed the aluminum-framed windows in my parents' garage which, unfortunately, had been wired by their genius Electrical Engineer friend, who installed a 3-way light switch but switched the neutral, rather than the hot. The garage also has aluminum siding and metal junction boxes, so it was an accident waiting to happen.
I think this is the problem though. I can be reasonably certain now that these units are wired for a two phase live supply and NO neutral. This is common throughout ASIA. India has stuck with its British heritage though with single phase and a neutral. This is most likely problem here as a result of a rogue "grey market" distributor. I suspect, in other words, his unit was not intended for the Indian market. May be bucksheesh involved as well somewhere along the line.

S

sand87

Audioholic
yes on a tiled floor.but still it cudnt be the same at my home and the sellers home which is entirely in two diff regions in india.now to find this out we need more users from india checking this.then only can we confirm this

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis