yamaha rxv 685 screws giving small electricity shock

S

sand87

Audioholic
i purchased a yamaha rxv 685 in june and the receiver has been for quite a few
weeks giving electric shocks from all the screws on the body.

is it normal or is it a faulty unit with some short.i have connected it from a stabilizer which in turn is connected to a belkin surge
protector.i also connected directly to the belkin but still when i use a tester on the screws it lights up.
 
S

sand87

Audioholic
well at first i noticed it while touching the side to place it properly and i had a tingling sensation.then i took a tester and tested the body.nothing.so i tested the screws one by one on the sides of the avr.on all of the screws the tester lit up
 
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
Doesn't sound good but have no idea what would cause that....
 
S

sand87

Audioholic
any idea anybody if this is usually seen in yamaha avrs??
 
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
FWIW I've not had any avr do that nor heard about any doing that....
 
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Warlord
That ain't good. Something is wrong and sounds like it could be dangerous.
 
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audioholic Slumlord
i purchased a yamaha rxv 685 in june and the receiver has been for quite a few
weeks giving electric shocks from all the screws on the body.

is it normal or is it a faulty unit with some short.i have connected it from a stabilizer which in turn is connected to a belkin surge
protector.i also connected directly to the belkin but still when i use a tester on the screws it lights up.
I suspect that the unit is faulty, or that somehow your live and neutral lines have got switched.

First plug the unit into an AC outlet that you have tested to make sure that outlet is wired correctly. If there is still voltage on those screws then that unit is faulty, and is dangerous and should be taken out of service and returned immediately.

If there are no shocks when the unit is plugged in without those other two units, then you need to check those other two units to make sure one of them is not reversing the live and neutral. If one is then discard it.

If they all check out, then disconnect that stabilizer and see if that cures it. If it does then get rid of that stabilizer. You did not mention what it was, but many of those type of units are bogus and even dangerous. I have some personal horror stories of those sort of units I have been asked to see. I am also not a fan of those plug in surge protectors either in audio equipment installations. Very few of them actually provide any useful protection.
 
S

sand87

Audioholic
I suspect that the unit is faulty, or that somehow your live and neutral lines have got switched.

First plug the unit into an AC outlet that you have tested to make sure that outlet is wired correctly. If there is still voltage on those screws then that unit is faulty, and is dangerous and should be taken out of service and returned immediately.

If there are no shocks when the unit is plugged in without those other two units, then you need to check those other two units to make sure one of them is not reversing the live and neutral. If one is then discard it.

If they all check out, then disconnect that stabilizer and see if that cures it. If it does then get rid of that stabilizer. You did not mention what it was, but many of those type of units are bogus and even dangerous. I have some personal horror stories of those sort of units I have been asked to see. I am also not a fan of those plug in surge protectors either in audio equipment installations. Very few of them actually provide any useful protection.
ok so connected directly to the sockets in all the rooms.only wen i do switch it on using the remote does this start.on standyby theres no electricity.i tested all the screws sides and back and all have electricity on them.it is really a small tingling kind if sensation but its there.the return windows on amazon is over
 
S

sand87

Audioholic
should i sell it off.dont want to runaround for repair and screwing it up further by the tech guys
 
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audioholic Slumlord
should i sell it off.dont want to runaround for repair and screwing it up further by the tech guys
You can only sell this unit, if you disclose that it has a serious fault and is NOT fit for service. It is a parts or repair unit and worth very little as is.

To sell this unit without disclosure is unethical, and could be considered criminal. If this unit should injure, kill someone or start a fire you could find yourself in very serious trouble.

This unit HAS to be fixed, parted out or recycled. There can be no iffs, buts or excuses about this.
 
S

sand87

Audioholic
You can only sell this unit, if you disclose that it has a serious fault and is NOT fit for service. It is a parts or repair unit and worth very little as is.

To sell this unit without disclosure is unethical, and could be considered criminal. If this unit should injure, kill someone or start a fire you could find yourself in very serious trouble.

This unit HAS to be fixed, parted out or recycled. There can be no iffs, buts or excuses about this.
ok then ifeven after disclosing its worth nothng then i will try to get it replaced ir returned.lets see if amazon takes it back
 
S

sand87

Audioholic
You can only sell this unit, if you disclose that it has a serious fault and is NOT fit for service. It is a parts or repair unit and worth very little as is.

To sell this unit without disclosure is unethical, and could be considered criminal. If this unit should injure, kill someone or start a fire you could find yourself in very serious trouble.

This unit HAS to be fixed, parted out or recycled. There can be no iffs, buts or excuses about this.
well seriously nobody would do that.so if they dont take it back i will keep using it.will take care not to come in contact when its powered on.since its a small amount of current i guess its not deadly
 
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Audioholic Slumlord
well seriously nobody would do that.so if they dont take it back i will keep using it.will take care not to come in contact when its powered on.since its a small amount of current i guess its not deadly
You don't know it won't be deadly. It is an absolute rule of safety, that you NEVER operate a malfunctioning electronic unit connected to high voltage. Get hold of Yamaha. They have an absolute responsibility to sort this out for you. They made it.

Stop using that unit now.
 
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Ninja
well seriously nobody would do that.so if they dont take it back i will keep using it.will take care not to come in contact when its powered on.since its a small amount of current i guess its not deadly
It's moot since you can return it. List the reason for return and CC Yamaha with the serial number
 
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
You're probably outside of Amazon's return period but well within Yamaha warranty....or was this one of the open box/amazon warehouse type deals as-is?
 
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Seriously, I have no life.
Well in the US after 30 days with an Amazon purchase you'd also go with Yamaha for factory service via warranty.....
 

newsletter
  • RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis
Top