M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>gene, I don't know how to turn off the EQ settings. The manual says nothing about this. Tone controls are at the middle settings. Do you know how to turn off the EQ?   &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>mwc,
You can change the Low-Frequency Effect (LFE) Level by going to Manual Setup, Sound Menu, and LFE Level. &nbsp;Try to increase few dB of subwoofer. &nbsp;It should be negative, and the max that you can set is 0dB.

You can add more bass to your speakers if you wish through the setting of Equalization to Low in automatic YPAO.</font>

<font color='#000080'>By any chance do you have night mode engaged? Just a thought since this problem wasn't always there.</font>

P

PaulF

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I stopped into an Ultimate Electronics store yesterday to view the latest Panasonic plasma. While there I got a chance to audition the RXV-2400 and the Sony STRDA3000ES and STRDA5000ES.

Without question the Yamaha sounded better. We had Klipsch and KEF speakers available and tried both. They weren't top of the line from either company (sorry didn't get model numbers).

The Sony's were very noisy, enough to actually hear the noise in the background of music at reasonable volumes. Also the volume control on the Sony units seemed very non-linear, even though the display would show a steady increase or decrease in dB level. At times it seemed as if the volume just jumped, this was also true when switching between modes, DPL II movie, music etc.

The RXV-2400 was very clean and more musical, it seemd to have better presence. It just made Norah Jones sound better. That's the best I could ascertain from the set-up we had.</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Clint, I did check the night mode thing but thats not it. Anyway, there is not a problem when in DTS mode. I think it's a chip or something like that because about a week ago I noticed that: while watching a movie, the sound would cut out completely for just an instant and come back on (not a layer change). This would happen once or twice per movie and never in DTS but always in DD. I'm on my way to return it to Tweeter. I'm now afraid to get another 2400. Any suggestions on a different receiver?</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>James, I to loved what I was hearing from the 2400 until this problem occured. And I agree about the Sony's.</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Sorry, my last post should have referenced PaulF.</font>

G

galindez

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Has any one compared the YPAO setup with a setup done properly with other methods? ie has anyone evaluated the spectral flatness of the YPAO from before and after. I was just wondering how good the YPAO is at tuning (for amplitude flatness across the frequency band) ones speakers in various non-optimum environments.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Paul;

Thanks for your feedback. &nbsp;I am not surprised that the Sony is noisier. &nbsp;This is one of the concerns I have with digital amplifier implimentations. &nbsp;I also wonder how the analog output filter will react with a speaker load?

mwc;

Go into the manual sound set up mode on the RXV-2400. &nbsp;Just for kicks, set it to GEQ and make sure all bands are set flat. &nbsp;You can also set it to PEQ and choose the &quot;Front&quot; YPAO setting so that the front speakers are not Eq'ed. &nbsp;

I will send this thread to Yamaha so they can further assist you.</font>

G

galindez

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Does anyone know if the 2400 provides Bass management for the analog inputs???</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Thanks gene! I just got back from Tweeter Electronics with a new unit. I'll let you all know how it turns out.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If the RX-V2400 sounded fine one night, and the next day it did not sound the same (and assuming that no one changed any menu settings), it would appear that you might have a problem within the DD decoder section of the DSP chip. If this is something you just purchased (within 30 days), take it back to your retailer and ask them for a replacement. Most authorized Yamaha dealers have a 30 days replacement policy...
DSP chip failures are quite rare, and you should not worry about a similar problem...</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Thanks Bruce and thanks to all who offered help.

I did take it back to Tweeter today and exchanged it for a new one. It was exchanged with no problem by Tweeter but I could tell that the salesman was skeptical. The new one sounds just fine but then so did the other one at first. I really do like the 2400 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.</font>

<font color='#000080'>Let us know. I know weve got one running right now so if it's epidemic, we'll probably find out... My guess is it was a fluke - but you never know.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hello,
Been visiting the site and reading posts regarding the new Yamaha's (2400)..  I bought a 1400 about two weeks ago here in Chicago.  I am concerned that in Canada, Australia, Germany and other that both the 1400 and 2400 will be released with Dolby PLIIx.  I am most likely returning mine due to this.  It is just too big of a feature when it comes to 7 speaker setup to not care.  Unfortunate because I did like the performance and sound of the 1400.  I have heard rumors that the US stock will eventually be replaced with units that will have the PLIIx.  If I find this out to be the case I will probably wait it out until I can get my hands on one.  Otherwise I will be moving on to another brand.   I emailed Yamaha US support regarding this and got a short clueless reply that did not help.  

Gene (or anybody that knows), since you are reviewing the 2400 and had contact with Yamaha engineers I was wondering if you new anything about this and if you know if the US models will eventually have the PLIIx feature.  Thanks

JR</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Has any progress been made on the Denon 5900 or Yamahaoo 2400 reviews? &nbsp;I'm anxious to have these potential purchases endorsed

Take your time, just excited to read about them.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
G

<font color='#000000'>I checked yesterday with Yamaha support regarding the DPL IIX issue. &nbsp;They expect models to come out in November (exact date uncertain) in the U.S. with DPL IIX. &nbsp;Those who already purchased the new receivers will be able to receive a free upgrade (consumer must only pay postage to ship to Yamaha -- Yamaha will return ship for free).</font>

G

galindez

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Questions regarding the 1400 yamaha receiver:

I used the YPAO PEQ wanted to know if there was a way to switch from the PEQ
to no PEQ. I tried to switch from PEQ and GEQ without setting any GEQ
parameters and didn't notice a difference in sound. I am trying to compare
the sound difference of using of PEQ to no PEQ.

Why would the YPAO set my rear surround channels to Large? I have some low
efficiency inexpensive in-ceiling rear surround speakers. Also what is the
driver for setting my front speakers to small (1980s Design Acoustic PS30
passive 12&quot; sub feeding two PS5 satellites, yes I am working on upgrading) I
also have an active LFE Klispch 8&quot; subwoofer.

Going through the 1400 manual pgs 57-58 references a G)Zone 3 set. I have no
such G) in my receiver menu. Where is it at?

When shifting to &quot;Direct Stereo&quot; the receiver display dims within 2 seconds.
If  I change the volume, the receiver display becomes brighter and then dims
back down within 2 seconds. No other mode does this. Is there a problem? If
not why does this happen with this mode only?

I also noticed that the 1400 volume seemed to be lower than the 540 which I
upgraded from. At around 17-19 dB the 540 was really loud while watching a
DVD movie in DTS, but the 1400 needed to be set at around 0dB. This is not
conclusive, since I still need to compare DVD to DVD. In this case I am
comparing DVD to a HBO 5.1 Comcast cable feed (-3.5 dB 1400 setting) to a
DVD (540 17-19dB). Although, music does seem to be not as loud for the same
volume setting. Could it be all the PEQ???

I have an excel file if anyone would like me to email them that has the PEQ settings for my setup in
addition to my room setup. The PEQ settings seem pretty extreme. Any
assistance would be appreciated.

Flat PEQ Setting (front small, rear large)
Front Left Center Front Right

Hz dB Hz dB Hz dB
63 -7 100 -4 80 4
125 6 200 6 160 5
250 6 250 5 250 4
315 3.5 630 -3 315 5
1k -2.5 3.2k 5 400 5
4k 5 5k 3 500 -2.5
10k -2.5 6.3k 3.5 3.2k 5.5

Surround Left Surround Right
Hz dB Hz dB
100 -6 63 6
200 -2.5 100 -7.5
400 4.5 315 6
800 5 500 6
1.3k -2.5 2k 6
2k 5 3.2k 3
10k -8.5 10k -9.5</font>

G

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Guest : <font color='#000000'>I checked yesterday with Yamaha support regarding the DPL IIX issue.  They expect models to come out in November (exact date uncertain) in the U.S. with DPL IIX.  Those who already purchased the new receivers will be able to receive a free upgrade (consumer must only pay postage to ship to Yamaha -- Yamaha will return ship for free).</font>
<font color='#000000'>Pardon my ignorance, but two questions:

1. &nbsp;How will you know if the receiver has DPL IIX?

2. &nbsp;What is DPL IIX and why is it important for a 7.1 set-up?

I am considering purchasing the 2400, in fact, I was going in today, but now I want to wait!

Thanks</font>

<font color='#000080'>db,

DPL IIx is a new Dolby DSP that essentailly does what DPL II does, BUT does it in a way that is optimized for 7.1, not just 5.1. This is very cool for people who have 7.1 already set up in their home.

galindez,

Pure Direct mode is a mode that routes audio directly to your speakers, bypassing all DSP. Many receivers attempt to further reduce interference by dimming or turning off the display in this mode. What you are experiencing is perfectly normal and actually pretty cool.

You may also have found an error in the manual as the 1400 has no Zone 3 - the 2400 does, however. We'll look into this and report it to Yamaha.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis