gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>I just received a review sample of the Yamaha RXV-2400 last night. &nbsp;I currently have it hooked up in 2CH in my secondary reference system to analyze its two channel audio performance, YPAO and menu set-ups. &nbsp;I would like to open this forum for owners to discuss this model or the RXV-1400.</font>

A

_audiouser_

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Well I'm not an owner, &nbsp;but I've plenty of questions !!

How does this new unit work with a 2 channel external amp for 9.1?

How/is the Cinema DSP on the 2400 going to differ from the Z9 (or the 1400)?

Will the 1400 work with a 2 channel amp for 9.1 as well?

Any movment on that whole euro DPLIIx thing?</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I for one am anxiously looking forward to the reviews of the Yamaha receivers. &nbsp;I currently own the RX-V1300 and will eventually go with their flagship once I graduate, get a plce and car (priorities). &nbsp;I will then retire my 1300 to either a temporary studio piece (multimedia design &amp; a/v editing), then eventually a bedroom piece.

I want to see a test result diagram showing the actual WPC All Channels Driven in both 8 and 4 Ohms, I would also like to see comparisons of DSP modes vs Stereo vs ProLogic II vs Neo6.

I want this thing beaten to submission, no mister nice only in the bedroom stuff lets see how it fairs on your RBH system!

One things for sure the 1300 is by far the best receiver I've owed to date.

Bob</font>

A

_audiouser_

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Bob I thought you where dead for bit there. &nbsp;I guess your doing some work on that whole graduate thing.

I agree, show the unit no mercy.</font>

<font color='#000080'>One particular thing we noted so far is that you cannot engage both the effect/presence speakers and the rear surrounds at the same time... even with an external amplifier. We are inquiring about this with Yamaha to see if perhaps this could be modified with a firmware update.

We have high hopes for this receiver, but as always, we'll &quot;beat it around&quot; pretty good in our testing.</font>

A

_audiouser_

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>Hawke,

That's too bad, &nbsp;I thought that would be a really cool feature. &nbsp;Still can't wait to see the review.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>I'm very much alive, if you were refferring to fact that I have not been very active on here lately, well I have been extremely busy with school projects, I still have more to do then I'm off school for a week, this is rounding up my first year at PTI

I have to say that last night I was very
at yet a another multiplex theater and yet again finding a home theater much more reliable.  

The theater started the movie a 1/2 an hour ealier than advertised (both the paper and ticket booth saids 8:00PM)

Not only that but the SDDS track well mixed, except the front L/R Centers were out of phase.

I really cannot justify seeing many movies at these theaters anymore considering the cost of gas and tickets.

Bob</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>As for the 2400 I find that I don't care for 6.1 (on any system), I don't know why but uless it's a DTS:ES Discrete 6.1 track, I found that the matrixing compressed the stereo image of the L/R sides. &nbsp;If I had a 2400 I would scrap the surround backs and use the presence speakers. &nbsp;I found that the Yamaha Cinema DSP modes created a more spacious wrap around effect and ehanced the stereo of the side surround speakers, image enough to make it appear to be 6.1.

I would also like to know type of DACs and ADCs are used.

Not to metion more info on the YSS-930.

Bob</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Bob,

I tend to agree with you on that as well. &nbsp;In most cases I prefer 5.1 over 6.1 unless it is a discrete channel. &nbsp;I would personally go for the front effects in this case, especially since it is easier to integrate into most rooms from my experience.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Clint,

I noticed your post at AVS in which you were going to check with Yamaha to find out if they will introduce a reveiver that is a step up from the 2400. Any word on that?</font>

<font color='#000080'>Yeah... we're going to have to sit for a while. There's nothing in the works for a while as far as we've been told.

Lineup goes: 1400/2400/Z1/Z9 - with the Z1 lacking quite a few of the newer Yamaha options. It could be a year until we see anything else - or they coudl surprise us, but we've been given no indication that this is the case.

I was really hoping for a 3400, but I guess we'll need to wait.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>We got our first round of questions regarding the RXV-2400 answered directly from Yamaha Engineering in Japan. &nbsp;Here are the results.

Yamaha RXV-2400 FAQ</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
hawke : Yeah... we're going to have to sit for a while. There's nothing in the works for a while as far as we've been told.

Lineup goes: 1400/2400/Z1/Z9 - with the Z1 lacking quite a few of the newer Yamaha options. It could be a year until we see anything else - or they coudl surprise us, but we've been given no indication that this is the case.
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I was really hoping for a 3400, but I guess we'll need to wait.</td></tr></table>

Yeah, me too .

I love the 2400. Movies have never sounded better in my room. But there are a few things that bug me:

My biggest gripe is with the manual-not enough detail and explaination of features.

Also, YPAO recognizes my book shelf size surround speakers as large.

Also, when doing the &quot;wiring test&quot; is says that my mains are &quot;out of phase&quot; but I know they are not.

Any word of what Denon may be coming out with for 04'. Do you think they will jump on the EQ band wagon with something similar to YPAO.</font>

M

minesh1

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Anyone using either the 2400 or 1400 strictly as a pre/pro? &nbsp;If so, how do they compare sonically with more expensive, dedicated units such as the Anthem, Aragon, Sherbourn, etc?</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>&quot;My biggest gripe is with the manual-not enough detail and explaination of features.

Also, YPAO recognizes my book shelf size surround speakers as large.

Also, when doing the &quot;wiring test&quot; is says that my mains are &quot;out of phase&quot; but I know they are not.&quot;

Honestly did Plugin-Play work well when it first came out for Windows95?

Bob</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Bob,

Till today plug n' play in windows is considered plug n' pray as it is still dicey. This includes WinXP as well as USB interface which was considered to be hot pluggable and swapable.</font>

<font color='#000080'>I think WindowsXP truly tosses out the notion of plug-and-pray. At this point 99.9% any problems you would have are going to be the fault of the hardware manufacturer not conforming to specs or writing bad driver code.

But yes, you make a good analogy. Is the first run of YPAO akin to the plu-n-pray of Windows95... We'll have to see. I think more people will need to report on it to see if it is problematic on a whole or not.
We may find that certain room configurations lead to greater problems. A pattern may evolve and Yamaha may be able to act on that new data in a future revision.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I picked up the RX-V1400 on Oct 3 from Hificity.com, which happens to be near by for $625+tax. &nbsp;For a rookie w/o SPL meter like me, I enjoyed the YPAO setup. &nbsp;My only complaint is that it recognize my Left Main speaker as small while the Right Main as large. &nbsp;I corrected that through the manual setup. &nbsp;Other than that, YPAO is pretty accurate as far as the distance and levels for all speakers and subwoofer. &nbsp;Calculated equalization for frequency response seemed impressive. &nbsp;Subwoofer is not too boomy. &nbsp;Timbre is very accurate. &nbsp;The second feature, which I like, is the upconversion of video. &nbsp;Since my 42&quot; Panasonic plasma has only 1 component input, the RX-V1400 really makes things simple for my wife and kids. &nbsp;With the universal remote control Sony AVR-3000, a single touch of the System button really solves the problem. &nbsp;The third feature, which my wife loves, is the night feature. &nbsp;Unlike the old Yamaha, I do not have to lower the volume and compromise the dialogue of the movies. &nbsp;In addition, my Panasonic DVD player has the Dialogue feature that really compliments the night feature on this AVR. &nbsp;I watched Too Fast &amp; Too Furious; the Core, and Bionnicle. &nbsp;Thanks to YPAO, sound and dialogue sound better as all sounds from different speakers and subwoofer are well calculated and equalized. &nbsp;The fourth feature is the 7-channel stereo mode. &nbsp;Unlike the old Yamaha, HTR5540, I can listen to true music throughout all speakers (currently 5.1 HT setup). &nbsp;With the old AVR, the surround speakers had processed sound, which sound weak and faded. &nbsp;With this new model, it is designed to play music at a party throughout the whole house if you have 7 speakers setup. &nbsp;I do have all 7 matching speakers, but I do not have the room to setup 7.1 HT setup as of now. &nbsp;I do have some music, which I prefer not to have DSP. &nbsp;Thus, the 7-channel stereo mode is wonderful for me.
A week later, my Marantz MM9000 5-channel amp (170wpc) arrived with my IXOS interconnect cables. &nbsp;I then used such AVR as my pre/processor. &nbsp;Thanks to the amp, movies sound more clear and distinct. &nbsp;I watched Matrix Reload and The Lion King on DVDs, I was blown away. &nbsp;On top of that, music sounds even better than w/o the amp. &nbsp;I spent about 5 hours in the last two days listening to old CDs. &nbsp;I also listened to the concert DVDs, such as Eagle's Hell Freezes Over and Bee Gee's Live by Request of A&amp;E. &nbsp;That compelled me to go out and purchase another DVD music. &nbsp;That's all I have for now as I am still playing around w/ the unit.</font>

M

mwc

Audioholic Intern
<font color='#000000'>I'm having a problem with my new RX-V2400. Movies played in Dolby Digital sound horrible. The sound seems very veiled and some of the frequencies seem to be muted (especially LFE but not limited to) if not there at all. I've had the unit almost a month and this just started a few days ago. Up untill then it was fine. I've even tried two different DVD players with the same result.

However, DTS, DPLII, etc sound great its only in DD that it has the problem.

Any one have any thoughts on this?</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>mwc;

It is possible something changed in your set-up. &nbsp;Try turning off all EQ settings (even the YPAO) in the set-up. &nbsp;Also check your tone controls.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis