Yamaha RX-Z9 vs NEW RX-A3080

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well if 7.1 setup, the audio on z7 will pass as only 5.1 on optical and your Dolby PL2x will be upmixing to 7.1.

markn

markn

Enthusiast
So maybe a 3080, 2080 or marantz sr7013, 6014 would be better options?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So maybe a 3080, 2080 or marantz sr7013, 6014 would be better options?
I’d be tempted to wait for what comes out next summer from Yamaha or Denon. Then you can get 8k 2.1 hdmi and be set for another 20 years. :)

markn

markn

Enthusiast
A good idea. If I were to buy something now can 2.1 be updated through firmware or is it hardware based as I suspect

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No ceiling speakers. I have B&W 683s2 fronts, 603 backs, B&W signature 7 on-call surround backs, B&W asw2000 12" sub, and B&W cc6 center. My room is 13 x 22 x 9. We sit 10' back straight in front of panel with sub behind us on rear wall. The z7 does a fine job but is around 10 yrs old. I am not sure if a 2080 (similar power output to z7) or 3080 (bit more) would be an improvement. I think we pull the trigger on replacing our pioneer elite pro 141fd plasma with an lg C9 77in oled today. So I guess if new amps are not much of an improvement, we could route current roku ultra and 1080p blu-ray to lg and return both audio from panel to z7 via optical digital? Or look to Marantz sr 7013 (only know what I've read online about it)?
You can get lossy multich via optical back to the tv (Dolby Digital/DTS basic 5.1) if you route video directly to the new tv. The avr choice is mostly about features/connectivity and the amp power you prefer (and get one with pre-outs for an external amp if more power than a typical avr has is needed, but the difference in power between a 2080 and 3080 is 10wpc....less than 1dB difference). The Marantz is a nice avr, too (and while I think Audyssey XT32 is better than YPAO, the Yamaha has PEQ vs the Marantz' graphic eq, which isn't quite as good).

Whatcha doing with the plasma? I'm keeping my plasmas going and letting OLED get a bit better price-wise for now myself but then I'm not going Atmos either at this time so my older avr without the Atmos/4k tech is just fine with the plasmas....

markn

markn

Enthusiast
I am not sure. This Pioneer pro 141FD has been the best plasma I have ever seen and it still looks great, but is 11 years old and I am confident would look as good as the 77in lg oled on the way. I may try to find a good home for it and the rx-z7. They work have worked great together for the past decade. I am sure they will make someone happy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I am not sure. This Pioneer pro 141FD has been the best plasma I have ever seen and it still looks great, but is 11 years old and I am confident would look as good as the 77in lg oled on the way. I may try to find a good home for it and the rx-z7. They work have worked great together for the past decade. I am sure they will make someone happy.
Sounds like a bedroom system to me :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
A good idea. If I were to buy something now can 2.1 be updated through firmware or is it hardware based as I suspect
For hdmi 2.1 It’s hardware based and not needed until 8k anyhow. There’s no 8k content so that’s a few years away.

HDMI 2.0 is all you need for 4K.

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
No ceiling speakers. I have B&W 683s2 fronts, 603 backs, B&W signature 7 on-call surround backs, B&W asw2000 12" sub, and B&W cc6 center. My room is 13 x 22 x 9. We sit 10' back straight in front of panel with sub behind us on rear wall. The z7 does a fine job but is around 10 yrs old. I am not sure if a 2080 (similar power output to z7) or 3080 (bit more) would be an improvement. I think we pull the trigger on replacing our pioneer elite pro 141fd plasma with an lg C9 77in oled today. So I guess if new amps are not much of an improvement, we could route current roku ultra and 1080p blu-ray to lg and return both audio from panel to z7 via optical digital? Or look to Marantz sr 7013 (only know what I've read online about it)?
My RX-Z9 sounds horrible with my Elac (Andrew Jones) and Tekton speakers. But it is absolutely heaven with my (Andrew Jones) Pioneer speakers. My RX-V3080 is not so great with the Pioneer's but is pure audio bliss with the Tektons and the Elac's. I love my 3080 !!! But certain amps will always sound better with certain speakers. Every different year of Yamaha can be very unique in how it sounds. There is always an adjustment period to new sound. I almost sold my 3080 a few times in the beginning. But now I would not give it up for anything !!! Good luck!

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
The value of the "improvements" all depend on what you like personally. Along with the individual character of each receiver. I've tried 10 or so receivers in the last 3 years to find the one/one's that best match my likes. If you can get a great deal on the 3080 I'd say give it a good shot! Then put it on your local selling market if you decide that it is not for you. It should re-sell easily if it is a good price.

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
The value of the "improvements" all depend on what you like personally. Along with the individual character of each receiver. I've tried 10 or so receivers in the last 3 years to find the one/one's that best match my likes. If you can get a great deal on the 3080 I'd say give it a good shot! Then put it on your local selling market if you decide that it is not for you. It should re-sell easily if it is a good price.
Oh, the character of the 3080 is super clarity and detail oriented. And the default settings place all speakers but the 2 main ones at a lower volume. But that can be easily adjusted in the settings.

markn

markn

Enthusiast
Ok. So here we go: bought the 77" lg oled and a Yamaha rx-a3080. The avr will be here tomorrow and the oled probably after Christmas. The avr was a tough decision, but I found a new 3080 for the same price as a 2080 or Marantz 6014. It seemed like a good move. I have owned Yamaha since 1974 so I guess I will gamble on what has done me solid so far. I am excited to hear how things change in my media room. I may also consider a bi-amp (not to start any consternation here) mod for my fronts given the extra channels I will have. That may (or not) also change things. Mostly I am just jazzed to hear the 3080 and see the C9. I am confident it will sound different and hopefully better. Thanks again for everyone's helpful comments. I will keep you posted.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok. So here we go: bought the 77" lg oled and a Yamaha rx-a3080. The avr will be here tomorrow and the oled probably after Christmas. The avr was a tough decision, but I found a new 3080 for the same price as a 2080 or Marantz 6014. It seemed like a good move. I have owned Yamaha since 1974 so I guess I will gamble on what has done me solid so far. I am excited to hear how things change in my media room. I may also consider a bi-amp (not to start any consternation here) mod for my fronts given the extra channels I will have. That may (or not) also change things. Mostly I am just jazzed to hear the 3080 and see the C9. I am confident it will sound different and hopefully better. Thanks again for everyone's helpful comments. I will keep you posted.
Congrats, sound like you got an excellent deal for the excellent 3080. In pure direct analog it should not change the sound if you compare it to the RX-Z7, otherwise it will be different for sure, I mean for movies..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't know about the reliability of LG. I have not done any research here.

But I wouldn't call buying the Yamaha 3080 as a "gamble", especially for a sweet price. Yamaha is supposed to be among the most reliable brands in the industry. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know about the reliability of LG. I have not done any research here.

But I wouldn't call buying the Yamaha 3080 as a "gamble", especially for a sweet price. Yamaha is supposed to be among the most reliable brands in the industry. :D
Until there is something new, I would think the 3080 is as good as it gets, for an AVR.

markn

markn

Enthusiast
The gamble I was referring to was about whether the a3080 will sound as good or better than the z7 that it is replacing. I have only owned Yamaha integrated amplifiers and avr's so I do not consider it a gamble to buy a Yamaha. I just dont want to be disappointed with the sound generated by a new avr. I have learned that sometimes newer does not sound better than old. I am always a Yamaha owner. I will keep you posted, its exciting.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The gamble I was referring to was about whether the a3080 will sound as good or better than the z7 that it is replacing. I have only owned Yamaha integrated amplifiers and avr's so I do not consider it a gamble to buy a Yamaha. I just dont want to be disappointed with the sound generated by a new avr. I have learned that sometimes newer does not sound better than old. I am always a Yamaha owner. I will keep you posted, its exciting.
I compared their specs and found:

Power supply - seems very comparable, same power consumption specs, same block capacitance (18,000 ufX2, 71V)

DAC
RX-A3080: ES9007 (datasheet not found online but appears to be same as ES9006 used in the RX-A3060
RX-Z7: AK4384

The RX-A3080's DAC has far superior specs

ADC

RX-A3080: Assuming it is the same as that used in the RX-A3060, it appears to be part of the LSI chip that also does volume control

RX-Z7: Has a separate ADC chip, the PCM1804

Hard to say which is better, I would reasonably guess separate is better in this case because the PCM1804 has much better specs than the one used in Denon/Marantz.

Not trying to disappoint you, but the RX-Z7, while far from the RX-Z9 on paper, was still an excellent AVR. It has a mediocre DAC but the difference are likely not audible.

So aside from codec related factors, I see no reason for you to expect better or even just different sound quality between the two if compared in pure direct mode. Either one should sound just the same as your separate Yamaha integrate amps assuming you would compare them with the A-S700 or higher models.

markn

markn

Enthusiast
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time and interest to explore this comparison. I really appreciate your efforts and findings. Seems as though in pure direct mode they sound very close. That is good to know because I like the sound my z7 has provided to my b&w's. Thanks again, very informative.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis