Yamaha RX-Z9 vs NEW RX-A3080

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well I have a DVD-A currently playing at 48/24 5.1 MLP and my Sony player shows the Mbps flexing between 3.8 to 5.0Mbps. Earlier a Blu-ray Audio disc in DTSHDMA 5.1 was flexing over 8.2Mbps. :)

If you like to “see” the bandwidth the Sony x800 and x700 players are cool with their display button. :)

Edit: They don’t display the real-time bandwidth of SACD though, just the format and frequency and sampling
Do you have bit mapping on the player?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
When I use it it says “Link not available “
That might not be necessary anyway.

Next time you play some music on MusicCast, go to the AVR remote and check the INFORMATION ---> AUDIO SIGNAL and see what it says.

I think as long as it says "44.4kHz Sample Rate", you are getting the max Bit Rate from the provider.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think I can use my Apple 4K TV for music apps actually.

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
Was wondering if anyone could help me make up my mind. I currently have the Yamaha RX-Z9 and again love it. I bought the RX-A3070 and was dissatisfied. I want to know now that the RX-A3080 has a 32bit dac Sabre opposed To Burr brown 1792 that the Z9 uses, is that going to make a big difference?? On paper you would think the 3080 should kill the Z9, but I don’t want to be dissatisfied again , any thoughts?
I've just been pairing up the CX-A5000 which has a 32 bit DAC, with the amp in the RX-Z9. Excellent combination! Way better than the RX-Z9 by itself. Plus this allows me to use the convenient hdmi features of the CX-A5000. I was using the 3080 for awhile and became incredibly impressed after a certain amount of time. Though it's not quite powerful enough for my preferences. But when I tried the CX-A5000, which has a closer type of sound to the Z9 than the CX-A5200, it showed me clearly that it is worth every penny to invest in the Pre-pro separate.
I have tried the cx-a5000 with the amps in three separate receivers. The rx-z9, denon avr-4806 and the denon avr-4802. All have toroidal transformers. These all sound incredibly good with the cx-a5000! But funny enough, the oldest and least expensive, out of the group, the avr-4802 sounds by far the best with the cx-a5000 preamp.
Anyway, after having a bit of time with your new equipment how are you liking it? Any new view points? Monolith, etc.

Last edited:
Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
Was wondering if anyone could help me make up my mind. I currently have the Yamaha RX-Z9 and again love it. I bought the RX-A3070 and was dissatisfied. I want to know now that the RX-A3080 has a 32bit dac Sabre opposed To Burr brown 1792 that the Z9 uses, is that going to make a big difference?? On paper you would think the 3080 should kill the Z9, but I don’t want to be dissatisfied again , any thoughts?
One question that I have is why do none of the newer pre/pro or receivers have multi channel Pure Direct mode! Though I believe, that it only works when using the pre-amp inputs.
That is one of the reasons that the Z9 is a Pure Audio Treasure! Though I'd imagine that some of their older flagship models have the Multi Channel Pure Direct, as well.
So be warned, no multi channel pure direct mode on any of the new Yamaha pre-amps, that I have seen. Perhaps I may keep my Z9 for that reason alone.

Last edited:
Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
Wow! I just hooked up my 3080 again after using the Z9 for awhile and the cx-a5000 before that. In so many ways the 3080 is light years beyond the Z9! Except, of course, when it comes to the power output at the higher end of the volume knob.
Have you tried all of the audio settings in your 3070?
I'd imagine it should be almost identical to the 3080, but perhaps that is an incorrect assumption. Even though they do use the same DAC's.
There are quite a few of those audio settings in various places. They should all be in one place!
Have you found the 3 DAC settings, that completely change the way that the DAC performs and sounds? It makes it sound like 3 completely different amps.
That setting is in a folder called DAC Digital Filter, under another folder called Sound. At least on the 3080 it is.
The cx-a5000 is one year older than your 3070, and it has this option, so yours should have it as well.

Of course, not all receivers pair well with all kinds of speakers.
I've been using the Tekton Double Impacts for my main's along with the Elac F6's and the Elac F6.2's for my 6 channel stereo mode. I change my main's to the F6's on various occasions when I feel like enjoying a different experience.

Did you try the Monolith with the 3070 pre-outs?
Or what else are you using with it?

Last edited:
blaze2051

blaze2051

Audiophyte
I have the 3080 and can’t get it to work on my PB2000 sub. I’ve tried switching the sub to always on and am using a Y connection per SVS but but YAPO still says NO SUB. Any suggestions?

did you set your front mains to big instead of small??

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I have the same AVR and the same sub that had the same problem. I found while troubleshooting it that the sub had a wire that wasn’t attached.

Reattached the wire to the sub speaker and problem solved.

blaze2051

blaze2051

Audiophyte
Basically with everybody saying that DTS-HD-MA was so much better than Core DTS I basically found out when I bought a 3070 that that was just un true. HDMI for convenience means absolutely nothing to me. I never could get the 3070 to push the subs like my Z9. And believe me they were set up correctly, bass management, using the LFE in , turning the crossover all the way to LFE and leveled with an SPL meter C weighted slow response. And in the receiver set to mono , and dynamic range was also set correctly to maximum, on Yamaha that means feature presentation! Talking to some engineers from Yamaha it turns out that the preamp outs For the subs are low-voltage. My Z9 are 4.0 v 3070 was 1.0 v So before I basically upgrade to the CX 5200 I have to make sure that the subs are going to perform the way that they should. As far as the dacs are concerned, I think that’s just a bunch of BS anymore the Z9 is how old ? And again the 3070 failed. I basically felt that I threw my money away , however I was able to get the unit at cost because I have connections so I only paid 1100 for the unit new. I can get a new 5200 for 1700, And as far as the streaming of all of these units I think that’s a total joke as well because they’re limited to 128 kBps. Wow!! So even if I upgrade to the CX-A5200 I’m going to have to keep my Sonos so I can stream at 256kbps with Amazon music.

are your subs powered or non powered?? - because i used crown amp to power my subs and used a sub preout to converter to balanced XLR and i maxed out the volume to achieved 4.2-6v to push the subs.

On the crown i chose .774 volt sensitivity

2x 15in AP 775watts @ 2ohms on my avr i set sub -3db and crossover at 60hz on the crown

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
are your subs powered or non powered?? - because i used crown amp to power my subs and used a sub preout to converter to balanced XLR and i maxed out the volume to achieved 4.2-6v to push the subs.

On the crown i chose .774 volt sensitivity

2x 15in AP 775watts @ 2ohms on my avr i set sub -3db and crossover at 60hz on the crown
Looks like he must have solved his issue, as his post has been deleted.

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
...Z9 and 3080 UPDATE...
What does it mean to find the perfect match/marriage between amp and speaker?

My Z9 sounds horrible with my tekton double impacts as well as with my various elac towers!
But the Z9 sounds incredible with my Andrew Jones designed Pioneer speakers!

The 3080, with my towers, sounds like one of the very best systems that I have ever heard in my entire life!

But only when matched with the tektons and elac towers!
PURE AUDIO BLISS !!!

I have looked for and have waited for a system like this for
All Of My Life!

Tektons on the main channels.
Elac F5.2's and Elac UniFi FSU5 towers on the other channels.
Usually in 2 channel stereo or 9 channel stereo mode.

I constantly switch between using all of them together, or for just using just the tektons.

Also, I always change the various audio settings on the 3080 to find the perfect match for each song of for each movie, etc.

In between them all I never feel that I am missing anything!
It has been almost 8 months since this perfect marriage has taken place.
I am still astounded on a regular basis!

The sound! The sound! Such beautiful sound!

Peace!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In this crazy audio world, sound quality is often perceived by sight, hence the need for SBT or better still, DBT. This is very obvious, logically speaking anyway if anyone stop to think about the "night and day, completely different.." kind of difference reported in countless posts related to comparison between gear like the 3080 in Z9 (when pure direct), and/or DACs, even DAC filter settings..;)

Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
I'd
In this crazy audio world, sound quality is often perceived by sight, hence the need for SBT or better still, DBT. This is very obvious, logically speaking anyway if anyone stop to think about the "night and day, completely different.." kind of difference reported in countless posts related to comparison between gear like the 3080 in Z9 (when pure direct),and/or DACs, even DAC filter settings..;)
For each, the Z9 and for the 3080, I'd have to say that regardless of whatever settings that they are on, that they are so incredibly and completely unique and different beasts, that they cannot be compared.
It's like comparing pizza with a coconut.

The Z9 is loaded with Direct and Pure Direct type options, through both the analogue and digital selections.
Including a 6 channel Pure Direct input, output option. Which will output all 6 of these channels, in Pure Direct mode!
Which seems to be a rare and unique feature.

The 3080's Pure Direct mode sounds super crappy to me in for most things.
But there are certain types of movies and music that the 3080's Pure Direct mode sounds incredible with!

And that may all have something to do with my choice of speakers.

They are both spectacular in so many ways!

But like with any receiver, they must be paired with the proper speakers to get anything good out of them!

Even with the 170 wpc rating on the Z9,
The 3080 produces a far greater level of volume for me.
Even though the 3080's main channels are favored in power, over the other channels, in any mode, even in Party Mode.

I love them both!

The 3080 is in my main audio room and the Z9 is in the living room.

What do you mean, being perceived by sight?
Looking at them has nothing to do with my perceptions of them.
Is that what you meant?

Last edited:
Z

Zega

Audioholic Intern
The difference in these receivers is night and day to me!

"For those with the ears to hear, let them hear."

No need for special equipment to judge.
The ears of the individual are all that matter.

What sounds like heaven to me, may sound like crap to you.
And visa versa...

markn

markn

Enthusiast
I have an rx-z7 with B&W 600 series 7.1 and I am considering an avr upgrade to go with a new lg oled panel. I am a long time Yamaha owner. I own a CA-800 (from 1976 works perfectly) rx-v2095 (still works) and now rx-z7. Needless to say, I am a happy Yam. owner; however, I am unsure if an rx-a3080 (which I can get at a smokin price) would be a disappointment to my ears. I can always route 4k directly to the panel and bring audio back to the z7 via optical digital cable. I realize that the 3080 would provide the 4k capability, but I wondering if it would sound better. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the forum - long time reader, first time poster.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have an rx-z7 with B&W 600 series 7.1 and I am considering an avr upgrade to go with a new lg oled panel. I am a long time Yamaha owner. I own a CA-800 (from 1976 works perfectly) rx-v2095 (still works) and now rx-z7. Needless to say, I am a happy Yam. owner; however, I am unsure if an rx-a3080 (which I can get at a smokin price) would be a disappointment to my ears. I can always route 4k directly to the panel and bring audio back to the z7 via optical digital cable. I realize that the 3080 would provide the 4k capability, but I wondering if it would sound better. Any help would be appreciated. I am new to the forum - long time reader, first time poster.
Are you planning for 4 ceiling speakers for Atmos & DTSX surround? That is the biggest difference. Although it is nice to plug your streamer HDMI directly into the AVR for streaming audio and video.

markn

markn

Enthusiast
No ceiling speakers. I have B&W 683s2 fronts, 603 backs, B&W signature 7 on-call surround backs, B&W asw2000 12" sub, and B&W cc6 center. My room is 13 x 22 x 9. We sit 10' back straight in front of panel with sub behind us on rear wall. The z7 does a fine job but is around 10 yrs old. I am not sure if a 2080 (similar power output to z7) or 3080 (bit more) would be an improvement. I think we pull the trigger on replacing our pioneer elite pro 141fd plasma with an lg C9 77in oled today. So I guess if new amps are not much of an improvement, we could route current roku ultra and 1080p blu-ray to lg and return both audio from panel to z7 via optical digital? Or look to Marantz sr 7013 (only know what I've read online about it)?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis