Yamaha RX-Z9 - av_phile hijacked thread

G

<font color='#000000'>I am planning on purchasing the new Yamaha RX-Z9 in the next month. I have done a lot of research on it but never have I spoke with any owners. Please post any reviews or experiences you might have on the RX-Z9.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I too am in the proccess of getting it 2nd week of November so only then I can post my experience with it. Yamaha is taking their merry time tormenting us with its delayed release.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Are you planning on getting it straight from Yamaha or a private source? I can't remember how much but I have seen it alot cheaper.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I need a general multi-voltage model so I am getting it from Germany, it is costing me apprx. US$4300.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Yama,
At the price point you are paying I was wondering if you had considered the Denon 5803.

I'm Not suggesting that theres anything wrong with the Yammy, their great units but if your planning to use it for hirez music and are not yet prepared to take the jump to a combi player with a digital connection. &nbsp;I just thought I'd point out that the Denon has 2 sets of analog ins.

Personally (until the dust settles on the digital connection issue) I've gotten a couple of entry level mltidisc players which make the 2 sets of inputs a very handy feature.

Also I don't know if you do any latenite movie viewing but DolbyHeadphone is another feature that in my house is a necessity.

From a Power perspective I use 4ohm Totem Model1's with 87sensitivity and the 170w perch (bench tested higher by HIFI Choice) and they run beautifully.

The Yamaha is a fine unit and worth every penny, but I just thought I'd point out these differences which you may have already considered.

Peter m.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Peter m,

Thanks for your advice, IMHO the Yamaha is a way better unit and being a previous owner of the Z-1, I can tell you that the amp section is much heftier, also the Yamaha Cinema DSP modes are unmatched. I intend to connect them to my Yamaha NS-300 speakers which are 6ohm units rated for 91db sensitivity so the Z-9 would give me plenty of db, plus for my main channels I intend to use my venerable MX-1 260wpc amp.

On the analog input issue, I fully agree but I am using a CDP, a SACD with coaxial out so for me at least for now it is a non-issue.

Lastly, I have always adored the sonic character of Yamaha in general and find them to be articulate, clear and revealing, attributes the Denon cant match and only the Marantz can come closer to, all this IMHO.

I am not saying that the Denon isnt a good amp, it is a really formidable unit but Denon doesnt develop their own propiretary DSP like Yamaha, if there was no Yamaha then the Denon would certainly be my number 2 choice after Marantz.

Many thanks again, much appreciated.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Wow, love the idea of bi-amping the fronts. I was thinking of (at somepoint) getting Totem Man-2's instead of Model 1's for the front which would necessitate more juice, but for the size of my room it might be overkill.

I'm not quite sure what a cdp is and how it allows you to get sacd from a coax output but if it works great.

Anyway, obviously you've done your homework on the Z-9 and I look foward to reading your thoughts about it once you've put it through it's paces.

enjoy,
Peter m.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>CDP=cd player. I use the digital out on my DVD-S2300 and let the Z-1 do all the decoding work.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Now I understand so your presently just playing the redbook layer of your sacd and dsp'ing it through dpl2 or dtsneo6 so far.
The coax is for movie sound tracs and will not play the dsd portion of an sacd disc

Well when you get mltich sacd player and make use of the sophisticated dacs in the new Yamaha your going to hear a world of difference. &nbsp;

If the new Reciever has a digital connection for dvd-a and sacd (this would be like a firewire input not coax or optical) it would be wise to make sure that your player works on the same protocol or youll have to stick to the six cables for each player. they would be marked something like ext. or mltich. inputs

So If the Yamaha only has one set of analog ins it's probably best to get a combi player or you'll need an external analog switcher if you have separate dvd-a and sacd players.

Peter m.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Hi Peter M,

When I play an SACD through my DVD-S2300, the display on my Yamaha Z-1 shows 96KHz and it only works in 2 channel mode so I guess the SACD stream is getting decoded. Correct me if I am wrong.

The built-in d/a on the Z-1 are of real high standards and I have a Accupahse CDP to compare them with and can tell you that the Yamaha compares quite favorably.

BTW: The silent cinema mode in the Yamaha receivers are fantastic for watching movie through headphones, Yamaha r&amp;d did some serious biological research to come out with this mode which gives realistic surround through headphones.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
I'm sorry but its wrong. &nbsp;You have a dvd player that upsamples standard cd's to 96. &nbsp;mine upsamples to 88.2.which flashes on the face of the denon when i put in a disc. Also if I had the 6 analog cables connected, it wouldn't work. &nbsp; it makes the cd portion of the disc sound very good. &nbsp;BUT you are not listening to the sacd portion of the disc unless you have a player capable of decoding the dsd stream.

Check out the specs of your player. &nbsp;Unless it says dvd-a or has the sacd logo and the 6 cable out ports, it may upsample redbook cd's which is good but it's nothing like true sacd or dvd-a.

Peter m.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
That's great. So in order to hear the best possible rez from your sacd or dvd-a discs the coax or opt cable won't do.

You have to connect the 5.1 cables that the specs talk about to the mltich or ext inputs on the back of your reciever.

You probably have to turn off the re-master or upsampling feature that it provided for redbook cds. &nbsp;That's what it suggested in the setup of my rp82 but even though mine plays dvd-a, I only use it as a video player because its sdi modified and used with the HOLO3D vid scaler..

I use 2 separate mltidisc dvd-a and sacd players for those discs. &nbsp;Thats why I appreciate the 2 sets of analog ins that I mentioned the Denon has. &nbsp;Since you have a great combi player you only need 1 set.

From the spec it looks like its a great video player also with the Faroudgia chip which is why you will also need the coax attached to use the dd5.1 or dts versions of &nbsp;film. ( i tried using the 5.1 inputs for everything but dd5.1 and dts are dsp modes themselves so its best to revert to the coax or opt for film)

So as per the spec you would use the inputs for the fronts center and rears for the 5 and the sub input for the .1 and then attach the sub cable from the preout on the reciever to your sub. &nbsp;Any time you want to play a dvd-a or sacd you hit mltich or ext on the remote and the reciever will recognize the signal. On the players remote you decide if you want to play in 2ch or mltich.

Sounds great, enjoy.

Peter m.</font>

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>Many thanks Peter M for your wonderful inshight into the world of SACD. The Yamaha DVD-S2300 is indeed a really good SACD player but it's video performance is fantastic compared to it's run of the mill audio performance, one of the reasons I am keen on using the onboard Z-1 d/a but from what I understand, the onboard d/a has to be bypassed in this case to fully tap SACD potential, I tried that before by using the 6-ch out on my SACD player but preffered the sound of the Z-1 d/a compared to the one on the DVD-S2300.</font>

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Ya know this is where others with your specific equipment might want to comment on specifically how your setup can best take advantage of sacd and dvd-a.
&nbsp;
The reason I say this is because I feel that the reciever's dacs have all the sophistication needed for these formats and that it a combination of the two machines that make HIREZ work best.

Anywho it's a great pair, enjoy.

Peter m.</font>

J

jkosanke

Audiophyte
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
ssgtkay : <font color='#000000'>I am planning on purchasing the new Yamaha RX-Z9 in the next month. I have done a lot of research on it but never have I spoke with any owners. Please post any reviews or experiences you might have on the RX-Z9.</font>
<font color='#000000'>Hi, &nbsp;

Anybody know what date the RX-Z9 will become available and who online will be offering it for sale?

Thanks for your help,

Jack</font>

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Yamahaluver,

Have you received and/or set up your new RX-Z9 Receiver yet? &nbsp;I anxiously await your review of your new purchase...
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I am equally anxious as I have sold off my DSP-AZ1 and am have nothing here except my 2 channel system. Have contacted my brotehr in Germany and according to him, would be two more weeks before anything happens, it is a real bummer for me.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi:

I have heard so much and at this moment I can't find anyone with yamaha RX-Z9 for selling. To the best of my knowledge there is only one businesss and it is requesting to charge you card immediately wihout having the equipment in stock. Therefore I told him thanks, that I won't take chances like that.
Does anyone know where in this this piece of equipment selling.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Well after waiting for months I have in my possesion (1) Yamaha RX Z-9 Reciever.

Going to set it up today.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis