Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It works surpisingly well and I’m not putting speakers on my living room ceiling. I may repurpose another room in the house later and use ceiling speakers there. But, that system would be a 7.1.4 setup with matching speakers all the way around and above. I understand constraints in setups and the need for certain center channel speakers, but I’m surprised how many are still using small surround speakers in the age of full frequency signals such as Dolby, DSD, DTS and multichannel PCM provide. It’s not a matrixed, limited frequency mono signal back there anymore. I’d like matching speakers all the way around. Now, if more outfits would just start selling single towers…

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
It works surpisingly well and I’m not putting speakers on my living room ceiling. I may repurpose another room in the house later and use ceiling speakers there. But, that system would be a 7.1.4 setup with matching speakers all the way around and above. I understand constraints in setups and the need for certain center channel speakers, but I’m surprised how many are still using small surround speakers in the age of full frequency signals such as Dolby, DSD, DTS and multichannel PCM provide. It’s not a matrixed, limited frequency mono signal back there anymore. I’d like matching speakers all the way around. Now, if more outfits would just start selling single towers…
I’ve stayed with good quality speakers all the way around my whole rig I feel it’s exactly what you should do I cringe when I see guys put anything they can get cheaply in the back or sides and that’s spot on with the signal these day I agree with that 100% !

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, put the little droid back into service this morning and saw something interesting in the setup. If this is what I think it is… Joy!
AF733ED4-570C-4AE3-9F1F-A1440C79F996.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The new firmware for the RX-V6A/TSR-700 and RX-A2A is 1.34. It does not show on the website yet, but a notice will appear in the units. It’s a six stage update with several sections in each stage that took a few minutes to update. Dolby logo and Spatial terminology now in line with Apple Music. Hmmm..
CCD5E2D6-B568-4820-933F-F90AE6925C09.jpeg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
So, Dolby Atmos height virtualization is working well on the little droid. No word on DTS Virtual:X and I don't think there ever will be.:confused: Now, I’ll have to wait for Yamaha to start “new board” program. And, for those still unsure about the RX-V6A/TSR-700 and RX-A2A, the new board will solve a problem with the XBOX Series X/Nvidia RTX30 and enable 4K@120ab and 8K@60b (up to 24Gbps) from three HDMI ports. A firmware update is required AFTER the replacement of the bad motivator, um, HDMI board in the little droids to enable features. The A4A, A6A and A8A will have seven 4K@120ab/8K60@ab capable HDMI ports at up to 40Gbps AFTER a firmware update. And, if any of this info is in error, call Yamaha as it came from them and I don’t wanna’ take any heat.:mad: Say, maybe when I send mine in, they can also ditch the fugly interface and set me up with a sweet new GUI. I guess I’ll be making a call myself.;)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I can’t recall do they ever publish actual release notes for the firmware updates. Mine updated last night but I would love to know what is all in there outside of my height virtualization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The last update, 1.31, had a note that said it addressed HDMI ARC and “other improvement.” I suspect when this one posts, it will say it enables Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and has “other improvement.” I did notice two other improvements. One, the picture looks great. It looked good before, but now, wow.

I’ve enjoyed watching Marvel movies on Disney+ as I don’t have all of them on 4K blu-ray, yet. After redeeming some points, Disney sent me “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2.” :oops: F#%k me! Everyone should own this disc. I thought the first one looked damn good but this one takes it up a notch. If you’ve only ever streamed these movies, you have not seen or heard them in their optimal format.

Speaking of sound, the second thing I noticed was a critical improvement when streaming atmos via Apple TV 4K. It once took several seconds for the Yamaha to deliver a signal after sorting out the audio. Now, it does it as quickly as my Onkyo, though both exhibit a slight hesitation before delivering sound. I blame Apple to this day. Just bitstream everything already for F#%k’s sake!:mad: Oh, the Apple TV 4K Gen 2 does more of the same, by the way. So, while I noticed better picture and sound, there are other issues, but it is still early and I haven’t had my first cup of coffee.;)

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
Thanks for the feedback. I haven’t had time to check everything out yet and I’m away so figured I’d read it somewhere if I could. If it is faster figuring things out signal-wise I’ll be excited just for that. It takes forever or at least did before when using Dolby vision and Atmos content or just turning the dang thing on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O

onthecouch

Audiophyte
Hey video fans! It's time to upgrade my HT experience and I've been wading through some of the TSR-700/RX-V6A posts and I'm wondering if you think it is still a good choice? (assuming I can find one!) Is the unit finally ready for prime time after all these updates? Or would you recommend something else? I'm also looking at a new Sony OLED which can support 4K @ 120.... I will plan on requesting the HDMI board upgrade when it gets released.

thanks!

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Hey video fans! It's time to upgrade my HT experience and I've been wading through some of the TSR-700/RX-V6A posts and I'm wondering if you think it is still a good choice? (assuming I can find one!) Is the unit finally ready for prime time after all these updates? Or would you recommend something else? I'm also looking at a new Sony OLED which can support 4K @ 120.... I will plan on requesting the HDMI board upgrade when it gets released.

thanks!
the rx-v6a is the one i'm looking at also. i'll buy it only after the promised "update" is in place.

as a side note, i do praise yamaha for the free hdmi board swap by mail on the bad ones.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I enjoyed the RX-V6A more after the last update, but it still wasn’t enough to keep me from swapping it out for the Onkyo TX-NR696, again. The MusicCast app isn’t quite set up right to this day. The Onkyo app needs work as well but is better to me. Both have a web setup feature that is similar to the other in many ways. The remote control and GUI response times are sluggish on the Yamaha compared to the Onkyo still. The GUI on the Yamaha is unchanged after a few updates and is still dated and ugly. The Onkyo is just more user friendly to me and supports DTS Virtual:X. That feature alone would have made me make the swap. Anyone wanting the best HDMI 2.1 performance from a Yamaha needs to wait for the new Aventage models. But, those will not have it right out of the box, either. We’ll see if Onkyo survives and their new models see the light of day.

W

wormraper

Audioholic Intern
I had to return the TSR-700 (V6A) as I couldn't deal with it's bugginess. I know it'll cause Sachb to get his panties in a wad, but I changed it out for the Denon 750h.

The Yammy had so many buggy issues that still aren't fixed with MULTIPLE firmware updates it wasn't even funny.
Dolby Vision black screen issues with 4K firestick
HDMI switch lag that was incredible.
Arc issues

the whole thing just felt like a HUGE step back from my Yamaha 7850 in everything but amp power

O

onthecouch

Audiophyte
I Know this is a Yamaha thread but what about the competition? I've always been happy with my Sony unit that is going on 15 years old at the moment.... why not go with the current STRDN1080 which is only $699?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Sony is a capable receiver that some have given high marks. I might have given one a shot if it supported Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization and DTS Virtual:X. I don't think the Sony supports Airplay 2, either. Sony has yet to introduce a new HDMI 2.1 receiver and I think there would be some interest from gamers there.

XenoChron

XenoChron

Audioholic
I enjoyed the RX-V6A more after the last update, but it still wasn’t enough to keep me from swapping it out for the Onkyo TX-NR696, again. ...
Just for FYI for others and this may be related to the last firmware update but the other day my system just randomly decided to not allow control from one unit to the other both for power on/off and volume control. Right now I only have an older LG OLED, the Yamaha, and a 1st Gen Apple TV 4K in the mix. The Apple TV was able to control the volume directly to the Yamaha via HDMI and when I turned it on it turned everything on. All of a sudden, none of the signals pass thru it or to it for control. I had to revert to using IR for Volume control and the only thing that turns on automatically is the Yamaha when I turn on the TV. Turning TV off does nothing. Turning ATV does nothing.

I'll probably revert to resetting everything to factory and starting over to see if that fixes the issue starting with the Yamaha but has added some frustrating to the system for sure.

W

wormraper

Audioholic Intern
Just for FYI for others and this may be related to the last firmware update but the other day my system just randomly decided to not allow control from one unit to the other both for power on/off and volume control. Right now I only have an older LG OLED, the Yamaha, and a 1st Gen Apple TV 4K in the mix. The Apple TV was able to control the volume directly to the Yamaha via HDMI and when I turned it on it turned everything on. All of a sudden, none of the signals pass thru it or to it for control. I had to revert to using IR for Volume control and the only thing that turns on automatically is the Yamaha when I turn on the TV. Turning TV off does nothing. Turning ATV does nothing.

I'll probably revert to resetting everything to factory and starting over to see if that fixes the issue starting with the Yamaha but has added some frustrating to the system for sure.
word of advice that should be followed is resetting the device after EVERY firmware update. Doing that mitigates a lot of glitches that can happen on phones, receivers, etc.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
HDMI Control is still buggy with everything out there. What I noticed worked a bit better for me was not using the ARC input on the TV. This may not be an option for those using Smart TV apps and wanting Dolby Atmos streams from the TV. I also use an Apple TV 4K and don't need the TV apps and have an optical connection there. So, I moved from the ARC input on the TV to another and am still able to use HDMI Control. I think too many things are going on in that cable and input when using HDMI Control and ARC. You might try that after a reset, which is always good advice.

W

wormraper

Audioholic Intern
HDMI Control is still buggy with everything out there. What I noticed worked a bit better for me was not using the ARC input on the TV. This may not be an option for those using Smart TV apps and wanting Dolby Atmos streams from the TV. I also use an Apple TV 4K and don't need the TV apps and have an optical connection there. So, I moved from the ARC input on the TV to another and am still able to use HDMI Control. I think too many things are going on in that cable and input when using HDMI Control and ARC. You might try that after a reset, which is always good advice.
have you tried switching to HDMI 2.1 certified cables? A lot of people seem to have good luck after that (and using HDMI inputs 4-7 instead of 1-3)... I'm suspicious that a lot of the "issues" are the HDMI controls being far too sensitive and the use of higher bandwidth cables gives more headroom to compensate for all the data pouring through and taking into account that the HDMI ports are sensitive to glitches and dropouts on regular cables

also, your TV can play a big part with CEC and arc.. the Sony 900h series is notorious for being buggy with E-arc to begin with, and combined with this receiver can get buggy quick

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis